• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Captain Falcon Q&A Thread

Pktck

Smash Apprentice
Hmmm, just noticed something peculiar regarding Dair.

Say you Dair Toon Link while he's on the ground and is at... eh, 60-90% damage? Well, when he pops into the air nicely for a follow up, he suffers a lot more hitstun than pretty much every other move in Falcon's repertoire.

My theory is that the Brawl developers put more hitstun into the meteor smashes so that the smashed character wouldn't be able to save himself or meteor cancel. Guys! Could use this boost in hitstun to our advantage? Maybe we could come up with some true knees from a well placed, short hopped Dair!

Well? Whaddya'll think? Or am I just imagining this stuff/ once again putting a lot of faith on something that's really impractical?

Yung Mei

Where all da hot anime moms at
well, for following up with knee, it depends entirely on how stale dair is/how high they go

not too sure, but it seems that its not guaranteed at all or w/e

best follow up imo would be uair :I

Pktck

Smash Apprentice
Hmmm... I fear you may be right.
Here's what I've found:
With most characters, you can short hop > dair > SH > Knee(sweetspotted) and you connect the knee (if they airdodge asap) AS SOON as the airdodge animation ends. So, only use on opponents who have few aerials that are faster than their airdodge animation.

DK needs to be 70% (I think) for this to work.
Jiggs, on the other hand, needs to be at around 40% to work.

Pktck

Smash Apprentice
...good point. I'm not sure. I'll need to test it more tonight. I -think- this is with the Dair fresh.

janne_837

Smash Cadet
Hey,

what are the best approach options for falcon? I do not get new ideas and want to mix up my approaches, so I would be happy to hear what you guys think which are the best and which might work quite well.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
If you're approaching from the air go for autocanceled aerials, cross ups (going behind your opponent) and fake approaches. Best things are approaching with a Bair or Uair but retreat it at the last moment so that it's too far for you to hit them and vice versa.
If they take the bait they'll make a move that you can punish since you autocanceled the aerial and didn't get any lag.

On the ground you'll have to mix dashing shields, pivot dashes and walking tilts.

Again it's not approaching that you do, just bait a reaction at close range and punish it.

janne_837

Smash Cadet
Ok thank you! Im not approaching that much (except vs ganon hehe) but I noticed that Im using cross-up bair and walking tilts waay to often so I wanted to ask for some new ideas to mix it up

NeoBatou

Smash Ace
So I just got home from Austin.....they had a HUGE brawl tourney with Dabuz, Razer, etc.....did the best I could but I would love some more pointers.

I did very well against Metaknight players. The only MK's I couldn't really get past were Havok, Tearbear, M2K, Infinity or the really informative MK mains....but I'm having more trouble against Olimar and Snake especially.

I've noticed that when I face Razer or any competent Snake player, Usmash and Ftilt are hard to get over. I know my share of crossups and whatnot....but any new recommendations or perhaps suggestions?

I would love to hear/see them.

Also any new relative information against Olimar would be helpful too. I've defeated Skypirate and some other Olimar mains but Dabuz/Denti are still very hard to get over.

lordhelmet

Smash Master
Snake's up smash is so stupid.

The best advice I have is just dash -> shieldgrab. Seems to work for me, but I haven't played in a while TBH.

NeoBatou

Smash Ace
Snake's up smash is so stupid.

The best advice I have is just dash -> shieldgrab. Seems to work for me, but I haven't played in a while TBH.
Your telling me...and the Ftilt is pretty gay too.
The range is ******** >.>
I may have to UpB at close range if they get too tilt happy, I may take some damage doing so but I gotta get him off the ground.

MEOW1337KITTEH

Smash Lord
NNID
daniel7001
So I have been starting to main Captain Falcon. (Who's surprised) However, when I grab, I can rarely get in a combo that is unavoidable/difficult to avoid, I often find better combos throwing up instead of down. What should I do to combo off the other throws?

Psychoace

Smash Champion
[Skynet] lordhelmet (CF) vs Roller (ICs/Pikachu) {1-3}

Concerned about game 2 and 3.

[Skynet] lordhelmet (CF) vs Tech Chase (D3) {1-3}

Concerned about game 3. He had me figured out, YI was a bad choice. I thought he would be uncomfortable on it but he just had me outcamped. SV would probably be the best choice next time (he banned BF).
Game 2

Your first stock: It's kinda rough whenever ice climbers grab you because you're going to end up getting a **** ton of damage on you if they don't kill you, this is big obstacle for us. Some suggestions would be to watch it whenever you go in for a sliding shield grab. The first grab he got on you was a lag punish, but the second and third was a pivot grab when he read your sliding shield grab. Also when momentum canceling vertically I think it'd be better to use dair instead of upair.

Your second stock: ...ouch that was just bad luck dude. The dangers of using dair on ice climbers. You can either separate them which is great, or the thing that happened to you there can happen.

Your third stock: First grab was another lag issue, you probably didn't mean for a knee to come out but if you did that was a bad choice.
Separating with bairs is good, you started doing that and it got you a kill. Granted he tripped when trying to save nana and you knee'd him, but we'll take it lol.

Overall: Good job camping the platform and trying to stay in the air, next time try to single nana out more as hard as that is. Late game you went a little more aggressive and got rid of nana more but that didn't always work and most of the time got you grabbed. Seems like you got a little impatient.

Game 3

First Stock:
Pika has a ****tier grab range than us try to abuse it more. At around 100% you can escape the chaingrab to save some percent. Other than that you did a good job at staying under him and racking damage for the first kill. He just had enough damage on you by then to hit with that dair when he found an opening.

Second Stock:
If they start the chaingrab at 35%+ we can escape it and upsmash them, but I'm not sure exactly when you can get out. His neutral air kill on you was probably as result of bad di but that could also be contributed to the stage. I think your use of falcon dive hurt you more than helped you this stock. It's good against pika, but that stage leaves you open to a lot of punishes. I'd suggest using u-tilt more.

Third Stock:
Good punish ko.

just a bad choice of moves. You probably didn't see that neutral air coming from quick attack, and choosing to up smash was just to slow.

Overall: I probably wouldn't take him to RC, but I don't know what other options you had. You did better in a more difficult match-up in my opinion, I think the stage was against you more than anything here.

Game 3-2

First Stock:
u-tilt ddd more, he beats us in everything range wise, it's one of our few tools we can use and not get super punished for in this matchup. When you're in kill range stay off of the platform, ddd will always go for an up tilt ko.

Second Stock:
He basically just out played you on this stock, got good damage on you with down throw and waited for you to come in and then set you up to kill you. uptilt is quick watch out for that stuff.

Third Stock:
He out camped you. I think you should use some more back air in approaching, honestly you shouldn't approach him even though he can force you to. Full hop neutral airs would also probably be another good option.

Overall: I think this was a good stage choice as opposed to Smashville, because we still have the platform but we don't have the stage length for him to cg us more on. But at the same time he can't uptilt you on the platform for easy ko's on smashville.

@ MEOW1337KITTEH

Down throw to up air will generally hit most characters, other than that we don't really have any reliable grab throw combos. However we do have grab releases on some characters.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=261037

Check that thread for combos and what now.

lordhelmet

Smash Master
Thanks Ace, 3rd person critique is awesome.

I'm only really worried about keeping my patience, not approaching, not auto-piloting. Considering by the time you hit even round 4 your mind starts to tire.

Psychoace

Smash Champion
No doubt dude. Just gotta work on that mind mentality, pump yourself up with some music and do some stretches in between. Just keep telling yourself to not auto-pilot, that's how I started off training myself even though I still do from time to time. If you can play patience that makes it easier.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Just watched your games against katy perry lordy, where are the Utilts ? Other than that good ****, except for losing your patience against IC and DIing like I do on your 2nd stock on RC.

lordhelmet

Smash Master
No doubt dude. Just gotta work on that mind mentality, pump yourself up with some music and do some stretches in between. Just keep telling yourself to not auto-pilot, that's how I started off training myself even though I still do from time to time. If you can play patience that makes it easier.
Patience is something I can practice on outside of real matches. Gotta stay juiced I guess. I'll probably start practicing my patience on level 9s. Never approach/time them out whatever.

Just watched your games against katy perry lordy, where are the Utilts ? Other than that good ****, except for losing your patience against IC and DIing like I do on your 2nd stock on RC.
I'm not one to miss DI, but that just caught me off-guard man. I just kinda stopped using utilt, I don't know why. I have to start injecting it back into my gameplan.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Just watched your games against DDD lordy and in the 2nd and 3rd games you were too aggressive, you stayed in his good zones too much (like shielding in his grab range, or jumping in his Utilt range), you went too much for the ledge when Falcon's ledge options aren't that good.
And of course YI was a bad choice since he camped under the platform and forced you to approach from the front.

Pktck

Smash Apprentice
If it wasn't so slow I'd use it more. Apparently it has like a 50% trip rate or some bs.
Seriously? That's legit. I believe it's just as slow as a missed grab, yes? I find myself using it to trigger shield grabs and have em miss. Unfortunately, it does nothing to help really, just space I guess.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Dtilt is good on floaties in general.
You jab, they SDI out, you Dtilt before they touch the ground. Success !

Pktck

Smash Apprentice
Good stuff! Also, I'm having serious trouble jab canceling the last jab to go into a series of other jabs like Haze masterfully executes. No matter when I press duck I still go into the rapid jabs. Anyone have tips on how to nail this technique?

Yung Mei

Where all da hot anime moms at
are you talking about The Gentleman? just hold a for the 3 jabs, let go, easy

otherwise, jab for 2 jabs, let go, press down, jab again

Pktck

Smash Apprentice
BIG question. When you attack an opponent with an aerial while they're attacking, and you out prioritize them because your aerial does more damage, do you hurt them if you hit their attack hit box (like their sword or disjointed hit box) or do you need to be hitting their body?

MEOW1337KITTEH

Smash Lord
NNID
daniel7001
If I understand correctly, hitting their sword will not hit them, but they will hit you. If your aerial hits their hurtbox (where they get hit) they will take damage, however, if you hit their disjointed hitbox, it will hit your hitbox instead and you wil take damage. However, if both hit eachothers hitboxes, both will take damage (assuming timing allows)

Pktck

Smash Apprentice
so... Falcon who hits his opponents with his arms and legs, part of his hurtbox, is at a disadvantage to Marth, who attack with a sword.

bummer, well, thanks for clarifying!

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
Aerial moves [nair / bair / fair / dair / uair] do not focus on "priority". They focus on who gets hit first or which move is more disjointed when it comes to spacing. Either one beats the other or you exchange hits. Priority doesn't take effect and beat another move or cancel each other out. Take Marth for example; his sword is a disjointed attack. Hitting the sword does not guarantee a hit on him because it's not a part of his hurtbox. Due his moves being fast, ranged and disjointed, Marth can easily keep pressure on opponents with his fair. But since Marth has a slight difficulty with his aerial direction speed (moving back and forth while in the air; such as Wario, who can do so fluently and has the best air speed in the game), that makes it safer for characters like Falcon to just try and get closer to Marth and pull up a shield / perfect shield.

Dash -> Shield / Perfect Shied works extremely well in that match-up from my past experience with fair abusing Marths. Falcon slides while pulling up the shield which gives you the opportunity to get close enough to Marth to either grab or do something else before he cancels his animation into something else. Perfect shield is obviously much better since it provides a huge frame advantage for Falcon to punish, but you can't be expected to do that all the time.

Going back to your original question - no, aerials don't have priority and Falcon has very small - if any - disjointed hitboxes on his attacks. Falcon's Fair has different properties than most moves though. I'm not going to say it's definite, but sweetspotting an attack with the knee "might" prevent Falcon from getting hurt while exchanging hits. But it's rare that even happens with Marth since - as we mention - has huge disjointed hitboxes. Sweetspotting his animation is difficult while he's attacking.

Pktck

Smash Apprentice
Aerial moves [nair / bair / fair / dair / uair] do not focus on "priority". They focus on who gets hit first or which move is more disjointed when it comes to spacing. Either one beats the other or you exchange hits. Priority doesn't take effect and beat another move or cancel each other out. Take Marth for example; his sword is a disjointed attack. Hitting the sword does not guarantee a hit on him because it's not a part of his hurtbox. Due his moves being fast, ranged and disjointed, Marth can easily keep pressure on opponents with his fair. But since Marth has a slight difficulty with his aerial direction speed (moving back and forth while in the air; such as Wario, who can do so fluently and has the best air speed in the game), that makes it safer for characters like Falcon to just try and get closer to Marth and pull up a shield / perfect shield.

Dash -> Shield / Perfect Shied works extremely well in that match-up from my past experience with fair abusing Marths. Falcon slides while pulling up the shield which gives you the opportunity to get close enough to Marth to either grab or do something else before he cancels his animation into something else. Perfect shield is obviously much better since it provides a huge frame advantage for Falcon to punish, but you can't be expected to do that all the time.

Going back to your original question - no, aerials don't have priority and Falcon has very small - if any - disjointed hitboxes on his attacks. Falcon's Fair has different properties than most moves though. I'm not going to say it's definite, but sweetspotting an attack with the knee "might" prevent Falcon from getting hurt while exchanging hits. But it's rare that even happens with Marth since - as we mention - has huge disjointed hitboxes. Sweetspotting his animation is difficult while he's attacking.
Really interesting. I knew this thought was really impractical, but it was worth a shot. I'll work in more Dash shielding when facing my friend's Marth. Thanks a lot!

PZ

Smash Lord
Knee basically trades hits if it comes in contact with said move or if something makes the knee linger then theres more of a chance of the opponent getting hit no matter what he does...

Top Bottom