• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Charizard Social: Merry Switchmas!

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
Just curious, how many of you seriously played Pokemon Trainer in Brawl? Would you trade Zard for one of the other Pokemon? Although my favorite was obviously Squirtle, I just wonder how Squirtle and Ivysaur would have changed in this game... they'd both have a new special and probably changes to at least a few of their normals. Ivysaur would likely have a real recovery move... who knows.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Just curious, how many of you seriously played Pokemon Trainer in Brawl? Would you trade Zard for one of the other Pokemon? Although my favorite was obviously Squirtle, I just wonder how Squirtle and Ivysaur would have changed in this game... they'd both have a new special and probably changes to at least a few of their normals. Ivysaur would likely have a real recovery move... who knows.
I was a noob back then, but I always played Pkmn Trainer or Lucario.

I'm not sure about if I'd trade 'Zard, though. I've always picked Bulbasaur as my starter, actually, but I've practiced Zard so much in this game I'd have a hard time turning him down for anyone.

ggamer77

Smash Cadet
NNID
ggamer77
I never played Pokemon trainer all that much back in Brawl. But when I did I used Charizard.

RadianB

Smash Journeyman
He was my secondary but I only played him because of Charizard. I was still decent with the other 2 though so it'd be cool if they make it back in.

Marrow

Speak softly and carry a Thick Club
3DS FC
1993-9950-1450
I always picked Ivysaur since he was my starter, and boy did I ever suck at him! Course, now I'm a Zard main so giving him up would be a challenge

unless Marowak gets in the game instead

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I would have played Ivysaur over Charizard if it was in the game. Charizard was obviously the 2nd best choice and his moveset fits the character so much better now. I was never a fan of Squirtle, but PT was an awesome character to play. Too bad it was so bad.

Blue Ninjakoopa

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BlueNinjakoopa
3DS FC
3265-5187-8163
I know I'm not quite worthy since Charizard is a secondary (it competes with WFT and Mario for co-main status), but I also used Pokemon Trainer in Brawl for the first half of its competitive lifespan. Unfortunately, I was impatient with his gimmick and I started using R.O.B. more. Unlike most PT mains, I gave equal time to every Pokemon, since I didn't see relying only/mostly on Squirtle as a working formula. One day I was participating in a Wi-Fi tournament and gained a huge lead as Squirtle then was KO'd early (by a fire attack no less; it was Falcon's forward smash) in a match, and had my last two stocks destroyed and ended up losing the set 0-2. It was after that tournament that I switched to R.O.B. and got stronger results.

If its Wikipedia article is any indication, Squirtle is a reasonably popular Pokemon. I'd wager it and Charizard were the top two Pokemon from the trainer's arsenal considered to return in Smash 4, but Charizard ultimately got in because it's slightly more recognizable and had unique typing among the other Pokemon.

Do you guys have a Skype group? It's a good way to keep in touch for matchmaking and stay in shape. I want to play other Charizards to see how they're different from me.

Last edited:

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
I've recently been picking up on Charizard for custom matches, 'cause I want to play someone who isn't Villager. :laugh:

So what's your guy's opinion on Rock Hurl? I've been getting mixed feelings about it but it's been working for me pretty well.

DrRiceBoy

Smash Lord
NNID
ricesenpai
3DS FC
4699-6411-5910
I used Trainer a decent amount. Didn't use him too much because I didn't like Squirtle, but I used him a decent amount in friendlies. I wouldn't trade Zard, Charizard was my favorite among the 3. I really liked Ivysaur too (Ivy4Smashpls). :p

Grizzlpaw

Rawr~ ♪
3DS FC
1289-9519-4206
I've recently been picking up on Charizard for custom matches, 'cause I want to play someone who isn't Villager. :laugh:

So what's your guy's opinion on Rock Hurl? I've been getting mixed feelings about it but it's been working for me pretty well.
Rock Hurl is the Anti-Air version of Rocksmash.

It has Super Armor on Frame 1 instead of Frame 5, so it works wonders verses Shiek, Yoshi, Jigglypuff, and Diddy.

Use it if you value it's anti-air properties, or if you want a more reliable SA option to escape combo strings.

:009:

I was a hardcore PT main in brawl.

...Actually

PT was the reason I played brawl. Kinda like Charizard is the reason I play Sm4sh :p
My Best character was ivysaur, My second best, and favorite character was Charizard, and my worst (but still decent) character was squirtle :p

Imo, the only things that held PT back was Fatigue, and his STOOOPID laggy Down B. It put PT into a lose/lose situation no matter what he did.

Like, in PT vs ZSS, you'd want to fight ZSS with squirtle, becasue he does the best out of the 3. You get ZSS to K.O. percent... but now you've got a fatigued squirtle. You can do two things here.

1. Stay in, and try to get the kill, but suffer from fatigue.

or

2. Switch out into an UNFAVORABLE Matchup just to land the K.O.

But wait, if you decide to switch, you sure as heck better toss them WAY offstage first, because otherwise, they'll have time to grab a sandwich, watch every episode of the anime from Gen 1 all the way to Gen 6, and still walk all the way across FD and charge a smash attack at you before the switch animation finishes.

People would always say Charizard and Ivysaur held squirtle back, but I disagree. It was his switching and fatigue mechanics. It took his greatest stregnth ( 3 pokemon. Near Perfect matchup coverage) and made it into a weakness.

Charizard totally got buffed from brawl. He's Faster, Stronger, Happier (Just look, he's smiling <3), and Sakurai gave him FLARE BLITZ.

If any of the PT vets return, I hope it's Ivysaur. She was unique and cool, and with the new tether mechanics, she has a chance to be good in this game~ <3

:006:

Last edited:

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
One of the main reasons why I didn't pick up on PT was his forced transformation per stock and the lack of a special. When Charizard appeared by himself in Sm4sh, I was so happy.

If the decision was made, I'd welcome Squirtle back with open arms. But I'd be so-so about Ivysaur. And PT needs to come back himself as a fighter. :troll:

But anyways, I think I'm liking Customzard a lot. Dragon Rush & Rock Hurl make him, in my opinion, better. Glad I finally got the chance to try him out.

Marrow

Speak softly and carry a Thick Club
3DS FC
1993-9950-1450
OK, so I had a stupid idea while practicing a couple days ago. Imagine if Flare Blitz (+customs) could be pointed vertically and Fly (+customs) could be pointed horizontally. They do the same damage/knockback, adjusting for the angle you are pointed. As for special fall, it only happens when Charizard's pointed vertically. It would probably never be added to the game at this point, though, since that's a huge change to make to two specials.

What do you guys think of this?

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
Yeah, I thought about if Dragon Rush could be angled like Fox up B. Pretty silly.

elitegrovyle

Smash Cadet
NNID
elitegrove
3DS FC
4828-5721-3535
While I'll still main Ganon, I've decided to pick up all the heavies. What should I know about Charizard? Are their any good guides for him? Thanks in advance!
just check around the zard forums their are plenty of places to find good zard info. You can even find stuff on zard in forums that you wouldn't expect it to be in

-LzR-

Smash Hero
While I'll still main Ganon, I've decided to pick up all the heavies. What should I know about Charizard? Are their any good guides for him? Thanks in advance!
I'd say the most interesting thing about Charizard is that he is the hardest character in the game to kill overall. Super heavy, great recovery, a 1 frame super armor move to absorb otherwise fatal moves. Charizard always wants to trade.

RadianB

Smash Journeyman
I'd say the most interesting thing about Charizard is that he is the hardest character in the game to kill overall. Super heavy, great recovery, a 1 frame super armor move to absorb otherwise fatal moves. Charizard always wants to trade.
Which move is the frame 1 super armour one? Rock Hurl?

Davregis

Smash Apprentice
I'm starting to get tired of constantly using Flamethrower... Anyone here that doesn't use it often?

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I'm starting to get tired of constantly using Flamethrower... Anyone here that doesn't use it often?
It depends in part on the match up, but I use Flamethrower a bunch for applying pressure in For Glory. I guess it's impart because of the lack of platforms and no customs limiting my options, though.

Davregis

Smash Apprentice
It depends in part on the match up, but I use Flamethrower a bunch for applying pressure in For Glory. I guess it's impart because of the lack of platforms and no customs limiting my options, though.
Hah, didn't consider it being FG syndrome. Battlefield/Yoshi's certainly changes things.

charizardbro

Smash Apprentice
For better or worse, I'd say I only ever use Flamethrower in about 5% of my FG games just because it takes too long for my impatient, run and gun playstyle (and I play easily 90% of my games with Charizard). I'd honestly much rather play in reaction to whatever option my opponent chooses to go for. So, to answer your question, yes. Absolutely.

Grizzlpaw

Rawr~ ♪
3DS FC
1289-9519-4206
Occasionally, I'll limit how much I use flamethrower just so I can practice using other options.

Flamethrower is such a safe move that works in 90% of scenarios. It's easy to get lazy if you rely on it too often.

:006:

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
Gonna pop in and talk about sinking skull for a minute.

Has no super armor. Buries opponents. Can get a free blitz or blast burn if your opponent sucks at mashing. And the aerial version spikes if you sweetspot it from above. Basically right under Zard's nose.

I kinda like it. But Rock Hurl's Frame 1 armor is hard to let go of.

Though a question I have is if a Rock Smash and a Blast Burn break shields if used together?

Top Bottom