• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The DK Match Up Thread.

CELTiiC

Dong 2 Strong
NNID
TBGCELTiiC
3DS FC
3840-7097-4621
I have to say recovering is harder playing Metaknight especially if the MK main knows what he's doing. For example, if they take away the ledge with shuttle loop waiting for you and they'll shuttle loop you back, they wait and punish when you recover high. Also we can get juggled horribly with Tornado, and all of Metaknight's other tricks, but we can kill early. We can kill roughly around 70-80 easily. Also, if we can avoid Metaknight's gimps, we can live to high percents which is a plus.

So, I'd have to say this match up is 55-45 or 60-40

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
alright guys I'll update this tomorrow morning with a new layout and other goodies.

I've been working on something that will make all of you **** your pants. It'll help every single DK player out there against every single other character. and it'll take quite some time, but I'm not telling anybody what it is.

hopefully it'll be as helpful as I think it will be

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
holy **** please tell me

Edit: MK can shuttle loop us out of spinning kong wherever they want because they trade hits so MK doesn't start gliding.

Drizzt6195

Smash Apprentice
55:40 or 60:40

For counterpicks ban RC and I would say go no JJapes or brinstar

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
**** I just had a dream where some really gay mod came in here and closed this thread because they didn't believe I would do a good job..

CELTiiC

Dong 2 Strong
NNID
TBGCELTiiC
3DS FC
3840-7097-4621
holy **** please tell me

Edit: MK can shuttle loop us out of spinning kong wherever they want because they trade hits so MK doesn't start gliding.
lol yeah that's what i meant in my example. I never knew that until yesterday when i faced a decently good Metaknight main who kept doing that too me. Than they punish your high recovery cuz of that stupid falling lag. So like I said I find recovering a ton harder against MK.

Jmex

Smash Lord
NNID
Jmex25
3DS FC
4613-8799-3599
**** I just had a dream where some really gay mod came in here and closed this thread because they didn't believe I would do a good job..
LOL

Do you have this amazing awesome thing that will help all of the DK mains up and ready yet?

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
LOL

Do you have this amazing awesome thing that will help all of the DK mains up and ready yet?
not even close

edit: if you guys have a problem with the new layout or if you want me to add something just tell me

Darknid

Smash Journeyman
One thing about the MK summary, you should warn people about Mansion being a great MK stage because he can nado the hell out of you there, with little you can do to stop him.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
updated guys. sorry for the long wait :( my other project is taking up a lot of time but I'll cut back on it when we discuss a new character

Monkley6

Smash Journeyman
OoOooOo! I Like it so far. :)

Just from reading a little bit, I wonder if we should bring Olimar to japes? Idk how good he is on-stage there, but i know the water can kill his pikmin (except blue). And he seems to have not great horizontal recovery which means some easy/early deaths off the left side.

On a side note though, I'm not experienced in fighting pretty much anyone! Soooo don't be alarmed if I say something silly. I need to get to more tourneys... like seriously.

Luigi player

Smash Master
OoOooOo! I Like it so far. :)

Just from reading a little bit, I wonder if we should bring Olimar to japes? Idk how good he is on-stage there, but i know the water can kill his pikmin (except blue). And he seems to have not great horizontal recovery which means some easy/early deaths off the left side.

On a side note though, I'm not experienced in fighting pretty much anyone! Soooo don't be alarmed if I say something silly. I need to get to more tourneys... like seriously.
If you get Olimar in the water he's done for... but he's a tough enemy on stage. Doing the upB super armor glitch can help but will get really predictable... Olimar can camp the hell out of you on the middle platform and it won't be easy to get him away from there.

Not sure how the matchups is there. Maybe about even...

daisho

Smash Lord
I need help with Yoshi... Badly. I can't even beat mediocre Yoshis.

When I try to approach with Bair he just eggs me.

I don't know what else i have trouble with but i always have been irked by yoshis

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion
Good matchup explanations so far Ripple...!
I would believe that there is nothing wrong in doing an up air at the right time in the matchup against Ice Climbers...they can't punish badly from doing it.

i1337

Smash Ace
good Matchup Explanations So Far Ripple...!
I Would Believe That There Is Nothing Wrong In Doing An Up Air At The Right Time In The Matchup Against Ice Climbers...they Can't Punish Badly From Doing It.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█████░░░░ ░░░█████████████████████████████████████████░░░░░██░░ ░░██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▓░░░░░░░█░ ░█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▓░░░▓▓▓▓█░ █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▓░░░░░░░█░ █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▓░░░░░░░█░ █░░░░░░░░░░░░████████████████████████████████░░░░██░░ █░░░░░░░░░░░██▓░░██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█████░░░░ █░░░░░░░░░░░█▓▓░░█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ █░░░░░░░░░░░█▓░░░█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ ░█░░░░░░░░░██▓░░██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ ░██░░░░░░░██▓░░██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ ░░██████████████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░

Darknid

Smash Journeyman
there's no way Oli is that bad

you have a huge advantage on japes and you also win on mansion, frigate and cruise.

space down B with up B mixups..he can't gimp you and his kill moves are predictable. he's slow. he will rack up damage in 2 seconds but he's really helpless in the air. I don't get how this matchup is 35-65 unless you guys are trying to approach with bair or something.. His grab loses to spaced down B every time..so does his F smash meaning he will have to counter it with an aerial, meaning if you read that counter he's in for a **** load of pain. Every time you get him in the air it's a potential kill. 3 approach options is actually a lot in olimar matchups as far as the chars that can't camp him go, we have it better than most. I don't think it's anywhere past 45-55 if not even. also, ban BF, not mansion or halberd. BF is a nightmare against Olimar and PRAY he chooses mansion because then U smash is obstructed and your ground spacing beats his with down B.

Darknid

Smash Journeyman
whats the best way to combat luigi i didn't know luigi was that **** good against DK
He's not, really. F tilt is your best too. F tilt him to death, and he can't close a gap if you do. If he fireballs it will clank, if he uses down B, it will clank. If he aerials your spaced F tilt will pop him, if he shields he'll slide back, if he dodges he can't punish, if he rolls at you he will be punished, if he rolls away he'll lose that much space to retreat, if he jumps you can **** his landing. F tilt him.

Just make sure you don't come up short with F tilt, if you whiff it he actually can down B you.

He's not, really. F tilt is your best too. F tilt him to death, and he can't close a gap if you do. If he fireballs it will clank, if he uses down B, it will clank. If he aerials your spaced F tilt will pop him, if he shields he'll slide back, if he dodges he can't punish, if he rolls at you he will be punished, if he rolls away he'll lose that much space to retreat, if he jumps you can **** his landing. F tilt him.

Just make sure you don't come up short with F tilt, if you whiff it he actually can down B you.
would i just keep a ground game against a luigi or use some aerials?

Monkley6

Smash Journeyman
also, ban BF, not mansion or halberd. BF is a nightmare against Olimar and PRAY he chooses mansion because then U smash is obstructed and your ground spacing beats his with down B.
THAT.

I wish I had read that before last Friday, Olimar brought me to Battlefield and it wasn't what I'de call fun. Honestly... I don't like Frigate all that much. Mostly because the second section with the platform in the middle. Not sure where else I'de want to bring him though, anyone have any suggestions?

Jmex

Smash Lord
NNID
Jmex25
3DS FC
4613-8799-3599
^ Final D.... Smash ville..... Yoshis.... Jungle Japes.... Theres a good handful of stages that will work against Oli.

Monkley6

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, I wasn't sure about Final Destination, was wondering if it could be dangerous with plenty of room to bakcup and camp. I haven't got much olimar experience but I never even thought of Yoshi's.
What about Brinstar? Doesn't look like a fantastic olimar stage to me. Not sure why I didn't think of it, anyone know if the acid kills pikmin?

Jmex

Smash Lord
NNID
Jmex25
3DS FC
4613-8799-3599
I think the acid just damages the pikmin, but any help is worth taking right?

Final D, i was suggesting because most people will agree with it since its a plain stage. Once you forget Oli to the edge he dosent have room to back up any more and hes closer to the edge now so its a good spot for him to get gimped.

ook

Smash Lord
Japes is good cause the water kills all his pikmin (except blue ones). Plus it has a high ceiling for olimar's vertical kills and it's just a great stage for DK. But an olimar would probably ban it against DK.
And yoshi's has the invincibility glitch.
Rainbow Cruise would be pretty great too if you can handle it.

brinstar might be ok, but it's so small that Olimar can kill you pretty easily, and the acid can save him from getting gimped. So I wouldn't go there....

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion
Yeah I don't know what you were thinking Jmex...Final Destination will only benefit Olimar even if he has a small disadvantage when you're gimping him. You can do that to almost any other stage. Olimar will outcamp and just spam on Final Destination especially against Donkey Kong.
I'd say the same for Smashville, but not as much camping since it's smaller, but Yoshi's Island is the best neutral to bring Olimar to. Jungle Japes will definately mess him up.
Not Rainbow Cruise though because his mobility on the horizontal camera keeps his ground game great. And he's really good with aerials when you're coming out of the ship and onto the vertical camera. Even though you can probably get an early kill because of no ledges and stuff...it's still not wise to bring him there, as he will be smart enough to just jump from platform to platform keeping himself safe and waiting for the right time to attack.
No Rainbow Cruise for this matchup. Just Yoshi's Island or Jungle Japes if you want good advantages with less flaws.
Frigate Orpheon of course also.

Jmex

Smash Lord
NNID
Jmex25
3DS FC
4613-8799-3599
Lol i was referring to stages that are best for Olimar based on neutrals.

Since where I live that would be Final D, Smash Ville and Battle Field.

I would much rather go Final than Battle Field. Smash ville is a toss up.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
ok guys lets start on a new character already. how about sheik or mario?

Jmex

Smash Lord
NNID
Jmex25
3DS FC
4613-8799-3599
I think the characters should be one of the following:

Zss

Wario

Falco

Snake

In no particular order.