• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Doc: Game Play General

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ramz289

Smash Journeyman
:surprised::surprised::surprised:
@ Exegguter Exegguter u 2 gud
Watching that made realise that I don't shield out of dash as much.
I have replays to share, will record sometime tomorow hopefully. Just so you guy can see how scruby i am and that my "findings" should be taken with a grain of salt.

Exegguter

Smash Lord
:surprised::surprised::surprised:
@ Exegguter Exegguter u 2 gud
Watching that made realise that I don't shield out of dash as much.
I have replays to share, will record sometime tomorow hopefully. Just so you guy can see how scruby i am and that my "findings" should be taken with a grain of salt.
Haha, thanks! I'll upload some more today.

Just post your vids. The more the better :)

Ramz289

Smash Journeyman
RamZ (Doc) vs D-man (R.O.B) FG game 1: http://youtu.be/s4EDIpC_s-Y
Here's the first match (actually second, didn't record the first because I wanted the salty runback and was mashing start like a mad man) I had with a Rob player on FG. Will upload the rest of the matches later.

I do not apologize for the background noise and s****y camera work. Deal with it.
:seuss:

Edit: I can't spell to save my life.

Last edited:

Dobbston

Smash Apprentice
Patch 1.0.4 change: Dair is now only 5 hits and does 10-12 dmg rather than 12-15 but has slightly less landing lag.

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
That's it? There's gotta be more. I can't find any movement speed changes but maybe he does run a bit faster? No idea, although that Dair thing is definitely a buff. Thanks to it only being 5 hits with less damage we have weaker KB on it, meaning that on a lot of chars, D-Throw into Dair into Upair at fresh % works.

Last edited:

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
Patch 1.0.4 change: Dair is now only 5 hits and does 10-12 dmg rather than 12-15 but has slightly less landing lag.
This makes dair less safe on block but safer on end? Thoughts?

Kisatamura

Prescriber of Manami.
NNID
Kisatamura
3DS FC
1521-4702-6467
Seems like it allows more aggressive options after Dair. Since the move has a hitbox on Doc's landing lag animation it looks like there could be comboes. Dair was always unsafe on block, though now it'll be less if the opponent doesn't shield grab you.

I'm hoping there's more though.

gridatttack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gridatttack
I noted something. When you do Nair, and the immediately do a downfall, you see a star effect and always hit with full power, even if not enough time has passed.

Was it always like this?

TTTTTsd

NNID
InverseTangent
so the first thing I'm doing is unlocking Dr. Mario and testing how much better his recovery will be with dual mashing (B and Y thanks to controller remap). I will probably double post and report back with the findings! Adios!

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
so the first thing I'm doing is unlocking Dr. Mario and testing how much better his recovery will be with dual mashing (B and Y thanks to controller remap). I will probably double post and report back with the findings! Adios!
How dare you get the game early xD

Good luck. Let us know! :D

Kisatamura

Prescriber of Manami.
NNID
Kisatamura
3DS FC
1521-4702-6467
Uhh... can somebody explain how this happened? Cause I'm somewhat sure this has to be a glitch.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Uhh... can somebody explain how this happened? Cause I'm somewhat sure this has to be a glitch.
You've got some guts and mashing skill to use tornado like that.

It's likely the spiking property a lot of multi-hit moves have when they
don't connect fully since I didn't see anything indicating a stage spike.

TTTTTsd

NNID
InverseTangent
OKAY BOYS, Doc on WiiU!

- Feels a lot better, might be placebo but I feel more control in the air. Maybe a better controller was all he needed!
- SH FF Uair is GODLIKE after D-Throw. Perfect reset into optimal neutral, if you shield they have no option but to run away and let you chase them.
- Blastzones are smaller in general. Doctor Mario will now definitely thrive off of his kill power
- I THINK I can stutter step FSmash with Doc (I can cancel the initial dash frames into a C Sticked FSmash.)
- Tornado double button mashing does not work at ALL. The GOOD NEWS is that button mashing in general is a lot easier and Doc Nado is a lot more reliable IMO.

So, really, he's more of the same but the game feels a bit better for him, I feel more in control, and stutter step FSmash + lower blastzones is gonna help this character a lot.

Exegguter

Smash Lord
OKAY BOYS, Doc on WiiU!

- Feels a lot better, might be placebo but I feel more control in the air. Maybe a better controller was all he needed!
- SH FF Uair is GODLIKE after D-Throw. Perfect reset into optimal neutral, if you shield they have no option but to run away and let you chase them.
- Blastzones are smaller in general. Doctor Mario will now definitely thrive off of his kill power
- I THINK I can stutter step FSmash with Doc (I can cancel the initial dash frames into a C Sticked FSmash.)
- Tornado double button mashing does not work at ALL. The GOOD NEWS is that button mashing in general is a lot easier and Doc Nado is a lot more reliable IMO.

So, really, he's more of the same but the game feels a bit better for him, I feel more in control, and stutter step FSmash + lower blastzones is gonna help this character a lot.
Great info! I still feel he's better than Mario lol. But anyways tourneys; Let's gooo (after I ship in smash Wii u).

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
OKAY BOYS, Doc on WiiU!

How is dair? Is it less laggy? Do you have more control over it?

OmegaSorin

The Lucky Hero
NNID
Semjax
Dunno if this was stated already, but Doc 's DThrow is also stronger then Marios, with Mario's you can combo into it, Doc's has more Launch Power, there for its not as easy to do the UpA combo that many mario players do, you can however combo it into an upB but that leaves you wide open for retaliation.

TTTTTsd

NNID
InverseTangent
So I'm gonna have to ask you Doc boys and future Doc boys that stumble upon this to really master the followups Doc has off of D-Throw because with a GC controller it becomes one of his best things IMO.

No matter what at most percents below like, 60-70% it goes straight into a Uair that gives Doc an advantageous or at least neutral position that lets him cover all the bases relatively quickly and limit his enemy's options. Against fast fallers it's even funnier, D-Throw, Fastfall Uair, land and shield. If they try and fall on you with an aerial you get another free grab, if they jump away just jump OoS and harass with your Uair. This applies to more than just fastfallers, really.

Doc Nado beats a lot of moves and is generally silly when thrown out as a reaction, but it works really well.

I really think the GC controller makes my Doc game a lot more consistent and I can comment on his throws a lot better.

His recovery is not as bad as I once thought. The key is storing double jumps, never lose it. EVER. Double jump straight into Down-B to get good vertical distance, walljump if possible, and then Up+B. His recovery is bad but it's not as awful as some people initially thought from more playtime with him.

Also ALWAYS try and sweetspot FSmash. The electricity disjoint that he has is actually weaker, if you hit with his hand/arm it is tremendously powerful and capable of KOing at really low %s for a character like Doc. Sweetspotted Up+B works GREAT for KOs as well, and is a super powerful OoS option that is capable of killing at high %s even WITHOUT rage, so if you're struggling, Up+B OoS if you know it'll work cause adding rage can make it even more potent. The sweetspot is really lenient (as long as it hits on frame one, anywhere on the hitbox counts).

The Doc experience has gotten a lot better with a GC controller, this is really just a more elaborate post about my impressions of him following my acquiring of WiiU version.

Froth

Smash Journeyman
I haven't recorded numbers or anything, but around 50%-60%, a D-Throw to fullhop Fair can be almost guaranteed on certain characters. It's especially better than his other airs at higher %, because you can usually knock them off the stage and attempt to edge guard after.

Astronut

Smash Apprentice
Just wanted to drop in and say that it's really useful to full hop your pills, since you'll land without lag. One of the really great applications is shooting a pill forward in a full hop while retaining forward momentum, since you'll stay relatively close to the pill throughout its trajectory (good for set-ups).

If you try to chase the pill out of a short hop, the distance between you and the pill is actually larger than it would be out of a full hop, due to the slight landing lag.

TTTTTsd

NNID
InverseTangent
Doc's best aspect IMO is his Bair and his D-Throw as of the new patch. No vectoring means D-Throw sets up into a lot of Doc's crucial damage racking tools and he gets really reliable damage and followups after D-throw -> Uair or even D-Throw -> Utilt on fatties.

Fullhop Pills are useful for zoning, camping, and yes, even approaching as @ Astronut Astronut said.

Doc Tornado beats like, everything. Jesus christ why does this move have so much priority.

BSP

Smash Legend
OKAY BOYS, Doc on WiiU!

Mario can't stutter step from what others have said. I'm going to assume that means Doc can't either, but it'd be great if he can.

Will_

Smash Journeyman
Doc's up B is so good. It's such a sexy way to KO. It's also a great way to rack up dmg after dthrow, you can sweetspot it at lower % for the full 14, and sourspot at lower % for the 7. Also the initial hitbox is deceptively large, and I think doc has some invul frames, I could be wrong.

Anyway I'm maining him along with DK. I like retreating short hop pills depending on the matchup.

LuCypha X

Smash Rookie
I've created a video for the Version 1.0.1

So we can check the differences of the versions in the future.

I'm from germany, so please forgive me my horrible english. =)

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137
A few days ago, I finally got to play Doc in Smash 4 on my friend's 3DS against a level 9 CPU and he felt really great to play with! Dr. Tornado seems better than ever in this game on stage, the new Super Jump Punch is great, f-air is still great and I'm loving d-air as well. The low dash speed was a bit jarring even though I already knew that he had one of the slowest in the game and really makes it difficult to follow up on some grounded attacks, but at least he's very strong and has Megavitamins, Super Sheet and Dr. Tornado to help out with his neutral game.

I'm saddened that I only got to play one match, but I'll come back in a month or so (hopefully) once I get the game for myself so that I can provide more discussion on my 3rd Sm4sh main.

Last edited:

Kisatamura

Prescriber of Manami.
NNID
Kisatamura
3DS FC
1521-4702-6467

While I love the Samus matchup (against good Samus players, that is...), this video is so inspiring and american

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
Hey folks! Just wanted to pop in to say that I'm going to be cleaning up this board and will be giving it a bit of a boost.

Expect some new threads to pop up over the course of time!

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
As part of the major cleanup, this thread will be locked as lots of it was speculation and discovering his moveset and playstyle.

If you wish to continue this discussion, please head to "The Medical Files" or "The Clinic" for Moveset and Q&A, respectively.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom