• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Final Smash item Thread *UPDATE: PIT!*

Legolastom

Smash Hero
It looks like captain falcon... only joking course its fox you can see the ears the tails and the headset thing.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
i'm not exactly sure anymore, will the FS orb appear once per match or will a character only be able to use it once and never again?

Sariku

Smash Master
View the New Version 3 Smash Cards. The Link is found under my Signature.

And Kelexo, one, learn capitalization and pucntution. That can help alot.

Kelexo

Smash Journeyman
Okay, thanks for confirming that.

I'm thinking he meant it goes foreward, then its size expands vertically over time.

You guys have to think, English (I'm pretty sure) is not his first language, so he isn't wording things in a way WE understand, but in a way that makes sense in english...you just have to think into it.

And this is still bugging me that you guys dont seem to get; for one, YES, it is an item, he refers to it as an item, and its in the how-to-play because its explaining a new mechanic, but that points been made...

Secondly, it NEVER states the ball can be obtained once per battle...it says you can only use the move once after obtaining the ball, which I'm hoping means it can be gotten MANY times, but he was trying to say that you can grab the ball, use the move, and then its gone until you grab the ball again.

I imagine the Ball will be rare to find, even if its the only thing on. (Wouldn't that be hectic?) Think Barrel Cannon.

Chidosengan

Smash Lord
Final Smash.....

It really has a good ring to it!

Oh and about the "can only be used once thing", think of it as Fox and Falco's "Call Teammates" move in Corneria and Venom stages.

anark-e

Smash Rookie
I completely agree that the Smash Ball has to be an item, as it's referred to as such. The post on SmashBros.com is, as someone else already stated, a post entitled "What is a Final Smash?" It's not a post about the item itself, so it's not listed under Items.

Additionally, someone already stated that in German they use the word "item" to describe the Smash Ball. This is also true of the Japanese site, it refers to the Smash Ball as an "item" in plain English (written in Japanese characters, but they use the English word "item"). This, as with the German usage, seems to denote that it is a standard usable item within the Smash world.

Lastly, regarding the "only one use" issue. I see this one of two ways, let's examine exactly what was said:
SmashBros.com said:
The Final Smash is a secret skill that can be performed but once…and only after obtaining an item called the Smash Ball, which is a precious item, indeed.
- This clearly states that you cannot perform a Final Smash until you have picked up a Smash Ball
- It states that the Final Smash is a skill that "can be performed but once"

Therefore, it is logical to derive the two following possibilities:
1. You can only do a Final Smash once per fight, and only after picking up a Smash Ball
2. You can do a Final Smash more than once per fight, but only once per Smash Ball pickup

I also believe that the words "precious item" imply that the Smash Ball, when turned on (as you can likely turn each individual item on/off, as you could in Melee), will be the most rare item in the game. Appearing only once in a while like a Star Man, Hammer, or other unusual items from Melee, but even less often.

I personally find possibility #2 to be more likely, but only time will tell.

Legolastom

Smash Hero
Of course read Mario's that implies that you wont be able to hit everywhere on the field with them and people would be able to dodge it.

Stryks

Smash Hero
I u mean if U wil lstill have a shot beating the character, after being hit then yeah...

I think there are 2 type of final smashes:

-The ones that attack everyone in the stage, e.x. marios
- The ones that attack one sole person e.x. Link

The ones that attack more than one enemy will only do MASSIVE DAMAGE (lol) to all the oponents, but doesnt have the strenght to send them fliying...

Yet the ones that attack one sole person, since it will only damage one person, so it would be fair, I say the ones that attack one sole person are one hit KOs, but ofcrouse the moves would be harder to land on the oponent, unlike the mario finale

@Vali: I doubt marios is a one hit KO, check the 1st trailer, none of the oponents went fliying...

Vali

Smash Ace
I do believe they're undodgeable, but One-Hit KOs? I don't know bout that.
Oh please. It's not like you're not gonna see that massive fireball coming at you to do a ground/air dodge or shield it. It says in the post that you can dodge it.

Stryks

Smash Hero
They can be dodge, look if the mario use activates the attack, yet ur behind mario, thus unaffected by the fire, ur officially dodging the attack...

WoapGang

Mighty Soul of Woapgang
3DS FC
3411-2904-8277
I completely agree that the Smash Ball has to be an item, as it's referred to as such. The post on SmashBros.com is, as someone else already stated, a post entitled "What is a Final Smash?" It's not a post about the item itself, so it's not listed under Items.

Additionally, someone already stated that in German they use the word "item" to describe the Smash Ball. This is also true of the Japanese site, it refers to the Smash Ball as an "item" in plain English (written in Japanese characters, but they use the English word "item"). This, as with the German usage, seems to denote that it is a standard usable item within the Smash world.

Lastly, regarding the "only one use" issue. I see this one of two ways, let's examine exactly what was said:

- This clearly states that you cannot perform a Final Smash until you have picked up a Smash Ball
- It states that the Final Smash is a skill that "can be performed but once"

Therefore, it is logical to derive the two following possibilities:
1. You can only do a Final Smash once per fight, and only after picking up a Smash Ball
2. You can do a Final Smash more than once per fight, but only once per Smash Ball pickup

I also believe that the words "precious item" imply that the Smash Ball, when turned on (as you can likely turn each individual item on/off, as you could in Melee), will be the most rare item in the game. Appearing only once in a while like a Star Man, Hammer, or other unusual items from Melee, but even less often.

I personally find possibility #2 to be more likely, but only time will tell.
Wow.....#2 seems much more likely from the way you described it.

Fawriel

Smash Master
Woohoo, I feel like a Wikipedia article!

Also, the German translation said that Final Smash "hit like a hammer... if they do hit". Not sure how accurate this one is, but it seems even more definitive than the English "you'd better flee".

Y34HDUD3!!!

Smash Lord
I u mean if U wil lstill have a shot beating the character, after being hit then yeah...

I think there are 2 type of final smashes:

-The ones that attack everyone in the stage, e.x. marios
- The ones that attack one sole person e.x. Link

The ones that attack more than one enemy will only do MASSIVE DAMAGE (lol) to all the oponents, but doesnt have the strenght to send them fliying...

Yet the ones that attack one sole person, since it will only damage one person, so it would be fair, I say the ones that attack one sole person are one hit KOs, but ofcrouse the moves would be harder to land on the oponent, unlike the mario finale

@Vali: I doubt marios is a one hit KO, check the 1st trailer, none of the oponents went fliying...
Maybe there will be items that don't affect other players, only you.
Bowser's Final might be transforming into Giga Bowser, even.

Kelexo

Smash Journeyman
What if Samus' final smash turned her into 'Zero Suit Samus'? or something related to the sort.

Y34HDUD3!!!

Smash Lord
Well, the word item can be used to mean an object in general, it's not only used in videogames. So it can mean a Arwing in the background, a tree in my backyard, ect.
When you go to buy the groceries you can pay by the express line that only accepts
20 items or less...

Legolastom

Smash Hero
Ok people its an item whats the point in saying its not when it obviously is and well done paranoid (Not like we were discussing if it was an item or not but whatever).

I.T.P

Smash Ace
What if Samus' final smash turned her into 'Zero Suit Samus'? or something related to the sort.
i read through the whole 5 pages just to see whether anyone suggested that...

i think samus's final smash is the huge beam thing from the E3 trailer, and it turns her into Zamus as a side effect. Zamus should be selectable ALA shiek if that's the case IMO.

WoapGang

Mighty Soul of Woapgang
3DS FC
3411-2904-8277
Alright people, we've established that this is an item. but now, we need to focus on other things at the moment

Fawriel

Smash Master
The German and Japanese versions use the term "item" as well. In English. Which ONLY refers to ITEMS in GAMES. And that doesn't include stuff like that one plant in the background of Dreamland or Link's funny hat, but items that you can USE.
Seriously, if it's not an item, what IS it? A playable character?!

Meh.

Kelexo

Smash Journeyman
i read through the whole 5 pages just to see whether anyone suggested that...

i think samus's final smash is the huge beam thing from the E3 trailer, and it turns her into Zamus as a side effect. Zamus should be selectable ALA shiek if that's the case IMO.
I'd completely forgotten about that move. That probably will be the attack, but wether its related to Zero Suit I'm not sure. I'm just curious since the site used to say something about her appearing under special conditions, or something like that.

Also, I imagine if she DID transform somehow, it would most likely not be reversable since she cant just recieve her suit from thin air. If that were the case, maybe being thrown off the level would have you recieve your suit back?

anark-e

Smash Rookie
The German and Japanese versions use the term "item" as well. In English. Which ONLY refers to ITEMS in GAMES. And that doesn't include stuff like that one plant in the background of Dreamland or Link's funny hat, but items that you can USE.
Seriously, if it's not an item, what IS it? A playable character?!

Meh.
Brilliant! It's official, Smash Ball is playable in Brawl. Make a thread, Smash Ball for Brawl, go!

No, seriously, I'm being sarcastic. Don't start any threads about how Smash Ball is going to be top tier.

Kelexo

Smash Journeyman
smash ball is just a ball that bounces around which you control, and KOs anyone it comes in contact with. simple as that!

Top Bottom