• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Final Smash item Thread *UPDATE: PIT!*

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
Final Smashes should be used in tournaments, item or not. Final Smash are different for each character and are probably part of the balance of the characters, like B moves. Let's say Pichu is back in the game and is still as weak as ever but they make his FS the strongest in the game. The Smash Ball can only be used once, which is not like other items. So it could be used in tournaments since you can only use the Smash Ball once per match. In a 1v1 match it is likely that each person will get to use their Final Smash in that match.

We aren't even 100% sure if it's truly an item. The apples in Green Greens are items but those can't be turned off. You have to turn off the stage.

Scav

Tires don Exits
BRoomer
Guys, while we're parsing everything he says word-for-word, lets remember that these are translated blog posts. So, it's a quick translation of an already-casual style of writing. Hence lines like "You can look forward to experiencing the glowing personality behind each of the many Final Smashes!". Glowing personality? So, don't get too caught up on whether he said it can be used once per match or not ;)

Vali

Smash Ace
Guys, while we're parsing everything he says word-for-word, lets remember that these are translated blog posts. So, it's a quick translation of an already-casual style of writing. Hence lines like "You can look forward to experiencing the glowing personality behind each of the many Final Smashes!". Glowing personality? So, don't get too caught up on whether he said it can be used once per match or not ;)
I went to babelfish and translated the other languages as well (it came out surprisingly well) and it looks pretty bleak. Phrases like "once and once only...and only with the help of the Smash Ball". I was pretty skeptical at first but the more you site translations you read the more you realise that the english one is the vagueist one you get.

English: "can be performed but once.and only after obtaining an item called the Smash Ball"
German: "which only once can be used... And also only assistance of the Smash ball" (poor wording due to the germans 2nd verb getting shoved to the end AND first verb too >< German has some silly verb rules if you ask me)
French: "can be used only one time... and only after having obtained Smash Ball"
Italian: "can be used only once and only after to have obtained the Smash Ball"

The Spanish translation was horrible though (still said the same thing) and the Japanese one illegible. So yeah. You get the gist of it :(. Unless it's incredibly poor translations to all of the sites, looks like it might be the illogical choice after all. >.>

Zauron

Smash Journeyman
None of those translations really change anything - the fact is that he did not define the scope of his statement. In other words, it is missing the "per xxxxxx" part of his "only once" statement.

I mean, it could theoretically be anything, although most possibilities are illogical, but taking the words at face value, it could mean:

Once in your lifetime.
Once since you purchase the game, then never again.
Once per time you turn on the game.
Once per match.
Once per stock.
Once per time you collect the item.
Once per time you press the button that uses the move.

While most of these are rediculous, you can see that its a meaningless statement to say you can do something "only once" without specifying the scope (in most casual conversations, the scope is implied, but in this case it is not 100% clear).

On a side note - anyone thought about how you perform the move once you have the item?

My thought - it replaces your neutral B move. You can still do your other B moves and A moves, but the nuetral B executes the Final Smash in place of your normal B move. This would make sense for many characters (Mario's Nuetral B is his fireball, this is a huge fireball, Samus's nuetral B is her charged shot, this will probably be a mega shot like in the trailer, etc.). Due to the hectice nature of the game and the tendency to push all directions, Nuetral B's are actually executed rarely and with forethought and most characters can still function fairly normally without it for a while.

That's just one silly theory though, anyone have any better theories on what you do with the controller to actually pull off the move? I mean, the GC controller has more buttons than the the Wii-mote/Nunchuck combo and Melee still managed to use every button on it with the exception of left, right, and down on the D-pad (I am not implying the Wii-mote/Nunchuck combo is needed to play the game, but I think it foolish to discount the possibility that it will be an option). Yeah some of the buttons are repeats (X & Y, L & R) but many smash players would be upset if one of those was taken away since they have gotten used to one way or the other (I never use L, for instance, using R instead for everything even though L seems to be more common).

Vali

Smash Ace
Replacing neutral B seems to be sensible if that is indeed Samus' Final Smash and if the others follow suit, but until then it's anyone's guess.

The translations do clear up something though. The english version of the text is so **** vague that the "once" could actually be read as "when" in the sense that "you can only use it once you have picked up up the Smash Ball, and only then". Instead the other versions prove that the "once" is actually referring to the amount of times it can be used, but as you were right to criticise it does nothing to help solve in which context of "once" is he referring.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Interestingly enough, the Japanese version says,

"“スマッシュボール”を取ることで1回だけ使える"

Which, if I'm not mistaken, says roughly "it can only be used one time upon getting a Smash Ball." This seems to suggest that if multiple smash balls show up, then it can be done multiple times.

weasleman333

Smash Apprentice
????????????

How did you get
"it can only be used one time upon getting a Smash Ball."
from

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
????????????

How did you get
"it can only be used one time upon getting a Smash Ball."
from
"Smash Ball OBJ get experience LOC one time only use[pot]," is a more literal translation. I just parsed it in English, since that's a bit easier to understand to laymen.

Unless I'm mistaken. Am I mistaken? If I am, then please tell me. I only took two years of the language, and I'm nowhere near an expert. If you know more than I do, then I will accede to your authority.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
i think either once per match or stock

and if it was an item, it would be listed under the "items" list on official website. unless they haven't updated yet and it will be there tomorrow.

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
it says you can use it once you get the smashball, but it doesn't say how to release it. there can't be like a button delegated fo this. maybe you press LR, or AB or something.

Kelexo

Smash Journeyman
The reason I want to believe that the smash ball will appear multiple times is because ist a smart idea; not too many times, of course. Again, think Barrel Cannon (Well maybe a little more common...that thing is like a freaking myth at times)

It's a smart idea because you could have a long battle, like my friends commonly doing ten stocks, and if the orb shows up once; thats it. One person gets to use the move, they get a little advantage, its gone. Doesn't really sound like a smart idea. And the creator...a smart man.

2l82masterb8

Smash Rookie
So does anyone have an opinion as to what will happen if a character is attacked while using their final smash? For example, if Mario is using his Mario Finale and another character dodges from behind and strikes him, will the attack end or will Mario be invulnerable?

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
So does anyone have an opinion as to what will happen if a character is attacked while using their final smash? For example, if Mario is using his Mario Finale and another character dodges from behind and strikes him, will the attack end or will Mario be invulnerable?
That would break the game for sure. I think it would end the attack. It seems like Final Smashes will make for interesting strategizing if they make it into tourneys. It will be like trying to find the right time to spin attack with Link or Falcon Punch with CF.

Svenshinhan

Smash Cadet
I think the Final Smash is going to be quite fun to use. Especially in multi-battles with four players. Me and my friends don't use items all that much, but in some cases we make exceptions. We've all discussed the Smash Ball and all of us pretty much want them turned on. We'll probably set it to Very Low or something like that, but it seems too cool to pass up, hehe.

I just hope Pit gets a decent Final Smash. So far I like Link's best.

petre

Smash Lord
closest to Sterling Heights, MI on your wii foreca
who agrees captian falcons final smash should be a gigantic falcon punch?

but anyway, i agree, it should be possible to interrupt the final smash if you avoid the attack some how. i wonder though, for one like links that attacks a single opponent...

jb254

Smash Apprentice
who agrees captian falcons final smash should be a gigantic falcon punch?
Hah! That would be awesome. It should look like Jean Grey from the X-Men summoning the Phoenix.

SUPER FINAL FALCON PUNCH!!!

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Hah! That would be awesome. It should look like Jean Grey from the X-Men summoning the Phoenix.
I imagine more something like the Punch from the Anime. Exploding galaxies and stuff. That'd be hot.

Toologist

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Toologist
3DS FC
0963-1281-8162

SUPER FINAL FALCON PUNCH!!!
That's actually pretty badass. A mix of that and the anime would be nice.

Super FOG

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FOG2006
3DS FC
4253-3752-2801
No. They are all undodgeable, instant hit KO's.
No, It's dodgeable, repair in the first SSBB trailer: After Mario's fire FS pass Link, he's still on stage.

Final Smashes must be dodgeable, for add more tactical gist on FS using.

Wiwiweb

Smash Journeyman
Imagine the Final Smash on Final Destination. For example : Mario Finale would be unavoidable on this stage. Maybe players will be obliged to ban Final Smashes on Final Destination.

Finally, a few more "Final" to add to this post : Final, finale, FiNaL, F!N473 :p

Legolastom

Smash Hero
With links final smash and ones were they target one player i don't think that they will be almost certain ohko's i think they will just to tremendous damage to the player instead of send them flying half way across the world.

Stryks

Smash Hero
IDK to me it makes sense if they were one hit KOs, cause the super smash only affects one person, and marios damages everyone in the stage, which is kinda lame [for link], makin it a one hit KO would "balance" for the finals that hit only one person...

The_Corax_King

Smash Lord
It would be awesome if a huge picture of the character flashed by before they did it... like in the arcade fighters...

^^^Like when mario got it, the picture in Stryk's sig flashed by...

Or with Fox they could do something similar like his special taunt in melee... A small convo from the pilots and the stage is bombarded...

jb254

Smash Apprentice
Or with Fox they could do something similar like his special taunt in melee... A small convo from the pilots and the stage is bombarded...
I was just thinking that that would be Fox's Final. I was picturing an Arwing flying by with a rope ladder, and Fox grabbing it and flying away. Then the rest of the pilots fire at the other players while making humorous comments, followed by a Nova Bomb to KO anyone with high enough damage.

Aminar

Smash Journeyman
That's actually pretty badass. A mix of that and the anime would be nice.
It's unfortunate that Phoenix kinda sucks in clix.

I'm actually kinda hoping Super Smashe s cannot be turned off, and spawn at a given time(say once every minute on the minute) at a random location on the board. That way they will have to be in tournament play, or at least keep their proportion seperate from the other items so you cannot have just Super Smahses on very high. That could be annoyingif you can only use it once.

animan

Smash Cadet
Man this is going to be i heck of a cool item i can not wait to see what snakes
final smash will look like probly some missiles or granades like thing

Legolastom

Smash Hero
It would be awesome if a huge picture of the character flashed by before they did it... like in the arcade fighters...

^^^Like when mario got it, the picture in Stryk's sig flashed by...

That could cause the super smash to become anoying i would like it if they do that small convo type stuff before that done their smash but not their face flashing before the screen (Even for a split second).

Darkfur

Abbey Recorder
sneaking low to the ground, ready to pounce
*gasp* super scope wasnt put in the items section either. it must be a power up!
Did you ever think that this could be... possible... I don't know... maybe because..

---

---

---

get ready for it

---

---

---

---

--
--
--
--
--
WHAT WAS REVEALED WAS A MOVEMENT TECHNIQUE THAT HAPPENED TO HAVE THE SUPERSCOPE IN IT AND NOT JUST THE SUPERSCOPE!!!?!!?!?!one

Y34HDUD3!!!

Smash Lord
OMG broken!1!!!!11!!!eleven!
Falco will once again be my main if he can fire while walking backwards.
Looks like we are getting more "how to play" updates than we expected mmmm.

Master Peach

Smash Ace
The smash is an item but we don't know if we might be able to turn it off. Also I think to limit of damage should be at least 50-60 damage anywhere beyond that is too much and should be banned from tourneys. Also I think the Final won't be used automatically, you might be able to hold on to it while you fight. This would be cool if i had the smash ball and I was beating the crap out of my friend (1 vs 1) The moment he flies off the edge boom final smash. I'd love to do that.

Legolastom

Smash Hero
I never knew that they could put so much into how to play... they could put a how to play for every item and character and level and um... everything... but obviously they wont!

Shepp

Smash Apprentice
Did you ever think that this could be... possible... I don't know... maybe because..

---

get ready for it

---

WHAT WAS REVEALED WAS A MOVEMENT TECHNIQUE THAT HAPPENED TO HAVE THE SUPERSCOPE IN IT AND NOT JUST THE SUPERSCOPE!!!?!!?!?!one

im sorry you thought i was being serious. ill try to be less sarcastic from now on for your sake

Top Bottom