• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Japanese Ledge Grab rule

pockyD

Smash Legend
This Japanese rule would not stop someone from planking someomes last stock or even two away. Play super campy and once time is near an end you can plank. It would still be as ridiculous as if you were planked for the entire match.
Sure it does... "planking" is designed to work over the course of one stock anyway. If you are "planking" correctly, then you are not getting hit at all. Why would you plank during your second stock, then plank during your third stock? If you did it right during your second stock, you'd never get to the third stock

The idea of the 70 (or however many) grabs isn't meant to be spread over 3 stocks; it's meant to prevent, say, 50 consecutive in a single stock

How about we play the game and whoever dies first loses?

I like that idea, let's also take the timer off. no planking possible there.
The timer is required to ensure that tournaments run in a timely manner

How the **** does this have anything to do with Melee?

Edit: PockyD, nevermind lol. I should have realized that he's just a Melee troll, ignore him.
Did I bring up melee?

Crap, I can't address the issues, so let's just call him a troll and move on! That way people think that I'm being intelligent and the other person is just going out of their way to be annoying, and no one will notice that I'm just dodging the problem!

Ryan-K

Smash Master
Sure it does... "planking" is designed to work over the course of one stock anyway. If you are "planking" correctly, then you are not getting hit at all. Why would you plank during your second stock, then plank during your third stock? If you did it right during your second stock, you'd never get to the third stock

The idea of the 70 (or however many) grabs isn't meant to be spread over 3 stocks; it's meant to prevent, say, 50 consecutive in a single stock

The timer is required to ensure that tournaments run in a timely manner

Did I bring up melee?

Crap, I can't address the issues, so let's just call him a troll and move on! That way people think that I'm being intelligent and the other person is just going out of their way to be annoying, and no one will notice that I'm just dodging the problem!
If you disagree with their infallible logic you are obviously a melee player who trolls brawl threads.

Duuh, I thought you got it by now.

cutter

Smash Champion
Banning MK won't get rid of planking lmao. G&W has some ridiculous ledgecamping strats as well. It's just that since MK has the best ledgecamping in the game and he is FAR more present in tourneys than G&W, G&W's ledgecamping game gets overshadowed.

Oracle

Smash Master
Banning MK won't get rid of planking lmao. G&W has some ridiculous ledgecamping strats as well. It's just that since MK has the best ledgecamping in the game and he is FAR more present in tourneys than G&W, G&W's ledgecamping game gets overshadowed.
Doesn't marth also have an extremely gay ledgecamp with his fair and upb?

Also I lol when people realize how stupidly designed and uncompetitive barwl is, and then are forced to be scrubs and ban stuff and whine about cheap stuff.

clowsui

Smash Legend
Doesn't marth also have an extremely gay ledgecamp with his fair and upb?

Also I lol when people realize how stupidly designed and uncompetitive barwl is, and then are forced to be scrubs and ban stuff and whine about cheap stuff.
with marth if you get predictable with it it's easy to edgehog between the fair and the up B

TheHulk

Smash Apprentice
I tested this rule in actual matches with a friend of mine. Let me tell you, grabbing the ledge over 70 times is almost impossible but it's possible. My friend even tried to plank me several times. In the end, we had 30-50 times we had hold the ledge. In my opinion, no one's really going to check how many times a player grabbed ledge after a game ends. We even played on Norfair. However, I've had this big tournament (over 100 people) the other day and was shocked how organized the tournament was. This good idea would be having a person who works or is willing to help out a TO at each setup (we had about 8 setups in total). That person would be responsible for reporting the result and make sure the match was in play not friendly. All of these workers wore orange shirt which made me as a player feel less secure about planking. Just my experience n 2 cents

Oracle

Smash Master
Also It's necessary to point out that this is a japanese rule because in japan the majority of the players are scrubs that refuse to play in the most efficient way: defensively. They all play crazy aggro and have fake combos that they could get out of but they are to busy being crazy aggro

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
I was wondering when people would start talking about this rule.
>.>

I don't really like it.
We'd have to take a normally ledge campy character, average the amount of times they grab the ledge over a few matches on different stages. Then multiply the number by like, 1.5

: /

sMexy-Blu

Smash Lord
I love this rule.

Planking is the gayest thing thats in Brawl, it takes the fun out of the game and it makes broken characters even MORE broken. (Meta Knight)

Oracle

Smash Master
I love this rule.

Planking is the gayest thing thats in Brawl, it takes the fun out of the game and it makes broken characters even MORE broken. (Meta Knight)
Well too bad brawl is a broken uncompetitive game. You can't take the broken things out because then you would be left with nothing

kr3wman

Smash Master
After I read this thread I realized how huge the brawl bashers egos are.

After that they say we always start the arguments, wtf?

SothE700k

Smash Lord
Explain how the rules would be carried out.
Explain what would happen if someone needed to actually get back to the stage by grabbing and they would be over the 70 mark.
Explain how someone didn't put the Melee vs. Brawl shield up for this thread.
Explain if any of this was even thought out.

kr3wman

Smash Master
Use logic.

At the end of the match, just press A and BOOM, you have your proof and you can call for a judge.

You will never recover 70 times normally in a match. You would need to grab the ledge every 6 seconds in a seven minute match or every 6.857142 seconds in a 8 minute match.

Seriously.

SERIOUSLY.

Peoplllllllllle.

yummynbeefy

Smash Champion
no
what about people like pit who have a fair (but annoying) ledge game
that would stop plankers but it would kill the metagame
and really whos going to count to 70 times

EDIT: kr3wman brought up a valid point and i know i dont grab the ledge every 6 seconds though i do spend alot of time on it

SothE700k

Smash Lord
Use logic.

At the end of the match, just press A and BOOM, you have your proof and you can call for a judge.

You will never recover 70 times normally in a match. You would need to grab the ledge every 6 seconds in a seven minute match or every 6.857142 seconds in a 8 minute match.

Seriously.

SERIOUSLY.

Peoplllllllllle.
Yes, use logic. LOGIC. Honestly, WHERE is the logic in this rule? Who is willing to just sit there and just record how many times someone grabs a ledge?
Why play out a match all the way just to see how many times someone grabbed a ledge?

Who would try to run and hang from a ledge for SIX seconds? ANYTHING can happen in six seconds.

indianunit

Smash Journeyman
Explain how the rules would be carried out.
Explain what would happen if someone needed to actually get back to the stage by grabbing and they would be over the 70 mark.
Explain how someone didn't put the Melee vs. Brawl shield up for this thread.
Explain if any of this was even thought out.

will you please just read like the first 2 or 3 pages? please?

anyway I don't think i've ever had this problem before so i can't really formulate an opinion on this. but if i did experience someone who would plank like well plank then yes, please enforce this new rule.

i am pro anti-planking

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Yes, use logic. LOGIC. Honestly, WHERE is the logic in this rule? Who is willing to just sit there and just record how many times someone grabs a ledge?
Why play out a match all the way just to see how many times someone grabbed a ledge?

Who would try to run and hang from a ledge for SIX seconds? ANYTHING can happen in six seconds.
Let me guess, you didn't read a single post in this thread? The game records automatically the number of edge grabs, it is a recorded statistic built into the game and displayed at the end of each game.

---

This rule should primarily be a substitute for the "no planking" rule that is already used at many tournaments.

OverLade

Smash Hero
Anyone who thinks this rule wouldn't work/isn't relevant clearly hasn't read the thread.

I think this rule is excellent, and irrefultably works very well (see evidence posted by others).

And for anyone who hasn't read.

THE GAME RECORDS THE NUMBER OF TIMES YOU GRAB THE LEDGE. SO ITS NO EXTRA WORK TO FIND OUT. THERES NO FEASABLE ANYONE SHOULD GRAB THE LEDGE MORE THAN 70 TIMES UNLESS THEY'RE PLANKING.

Ryan-K

Smash Master
After that they say we always start the arguments, wtf?
Considering whatshisface called pocky a melee troll even though he didn't bring up melee at all nor did he bash brawl just because he couldn't refute anything I'd say that's a valid conclusion.

kr3wman

Smash Master
Considering whatshisface called pocky a melee troll even though he didn't bring up melee at all nor did he bash brawl just because he couldn't refute anything I'd say that's a valid conclusion.
_____ VVV

Way to go, you did something I'm sure the fighting game community didn't think was possible. Banned more things then the melee community, awesome.
He started it.

M@v

Subarashii!
Let's not confuse trolls with valid debaters either <_<.

But as said, anyone who went to CoT4 knows why this thread is here. I saw some extremely gay things that could of been stopped by this rule. This is more-so finding the best "anti-plank" rule, rather than just this Japanese grab rule. It just seems to be one of the better options right now.

JFox

Smash Hero
First of all, I don't play brawl, just melee.

With that said, people that are bashing the brawl community for this, saying things like "brawl sucks, lets me this a rule to get people to stop playing. lololol" are all idiots. Planking was invented in melee, and is just as cheap there as it is in brawl, the only difference is the brawl player ethic. Brawl players have more of a one track mind: win. Generally, melee players have been a bit more honorable than brawlers, although there are definitely exceptions. However, plank used to plank with sheik all the time in melee. Jiggly has a beast ledgestall very similar to metaknights.

Also to people that say its ******** because the player should be allowed to do whatever it takes to win...those people need to watch teh_spamerer play brawl. Also, similar rules have always been around. "Jigglypuff's rising pound and peach's wall bomber can be used as recovery techniques, not as a way of stalling a match" In other words, there have always been ways to stall in melee, they were just easier to ban.

teh_spamerer

Smash Master
I do believe running away the entire match is reason for disqualification (yes, in Melee too)
No, only stalling for an entire match was DQ worthy. Nobody dropped to the bottom of Pokemon Stadium with Peach after getting the first kill and stayed there until the timer with wallbombing.

Flayl

Smash Hero
Good luck trying to enforce a completely arbitrary rule.
I'm not sure what you're talking about. The rule was already present since Melee: You call a judge and if he's stalling excessively he gets DQ'ed.

JFox

Smash Hero
spam, you and i both know that running away isn't nearly as difficult to punish as planking. thats a pretty lame comparison. fox already runs away with lasers in melee, and i still manage to catch them, its all about predicting where they will run to. running away will just end up getting you beat, which is why no one has ever been successful using it. If it were a broken tactic, trust me, it would have been used by now.

Is there a built in counter for melee too or no? I would likely enforce this in melee tourneys if there was, cuz planking shouldn't be tolerated.

teh_spamerer

Smash Master
spam, you and i both know that running away isn't nearly as difficult to punish as planking. thats a pretty lame comparison. fox already runs away with lasers in melee, and i still manage to catch them, its all about predicting where they will run to. running away will just end up getting you beat, which is why no one has ever been successful using it. If it were a broken tactic, trust me, it would have been used by now.

Is there a built in counter for melee too or no? I would likely enforce this in melee tourneys if there was, cuz planking shouldn't be tolerated.
In Melee: I agree with you. You need to be on a stage like Poke Floats or Corneria to just win by running away.

But in Brawl you can do this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeXmXZmtv6w

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
This is interesting.

I'm not sure about it completly though, but what I am sure about is that if a TO does decide to "ban planking" at their event, this rule should replace it.

Top Bottom