• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Legend of Zelda The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword - NO SPOILERS, USE THE SPOILER THREAD PLEASE

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Man, I am really loving the art style. What an ingenious way to totally go around the Wii's capabilities. It's not as perfect and timeless as Wind Waker but it's still so gorgeous to look at, especially places like the Bazaar and Eldin Volcano.

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
I'm still trying to figure out how people are having trouble with the controls....

etecoon

Smash Hero
I think this games visual design is on a much higher level than WW personally, definitely the best looking game in the series IMO. they change art styles frequently but I hope this sticks for a while, maybe tweak character design style but the world of skyward sword is beautiful

z00ted

If your controls are messing up...

1) Get new batteries (if they are halfway about to die, you should probably replace them)

2) Check to see if your sensor bar is working correctly.

3) Center frequently (Down on D-pad)

4) Recalibrate frequently (1 -> Click Wii Remote Circle)

Like at most, I'm finding myself centering every twenty minutes or recalibrating every hour. Plus it's quick and really easy to do.

You should focus on staying elevated (like sit in a chair or couch that has a bit of height). Controls are not a problem at all in this game.. lol

etecoon

Smash Hero
the battery thing is a little unreasonable for most people, it's easy for me because I have a ton of rechargeables I can rotate but if you're using normal batteries or only have one set it's going to be a pain when the controls start dropping way before the power is actually out

centering is relatively easy but it should have been it's own command instead of also mapping fi and dive to dpad down, easy enough when you're on the ground you can use an item like the slingshot instead but while flying you have to pause to center

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
I never have to recalibrate unless I reset the game or disconnect the remote signal.

also, literally the only thing in the game (so far) that really benefits from sitting up or standing is the bomb rolling. Until I got the bombs, I was playing most of this game slouched back, almost lying down.

Spire

III
BRoomer
It's 1000 times more awesome playing this game with my son
:bee:

I can only imagine. I bet Skyward Sword is one of the most whimsically enjoyable gaming experiences he's had. The characterization is so top notch (Disney tier) that I can't see a single child not being charmed by it.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
:bee:

I can only imagine. I bet Skyward Sword is one of the most whimsically enjoyable gaming experiences he's had. The characterization is so top notch (Disney tier) that I can't see a single child not being charmed by it.
Yeah, you might be setting the bar a bit high for a four year old. He just loves swinging the Wiimote around like a sword.

John2k4

The End of an Era
I got stuck for a good 5 minutes on that
eyeball gate-guard
in the
Forest Temple
, before I noticed the sign telling you that you had to get data on it. :laugh:

After getting that, my SM64 attack kicked in, and it was quite funny
killing it by swinging the remote in a circle
. :laugh:

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Third Area Pre Dungeon Spoilers:

Just got to
Lanayru Desert. The mine tunnels were pretty cool. The time splitting concept is simply amazing and I hope they do something incredible with it later.
I have to say I'm disappointed in the item selection so far. I feel really gimped as far as items go.

I really wish they would let you skip over dialogue like you could in the other games. Now you can only make the text scroll marginally faster no matter how many times you've read the text in question.

Fi is both incredibly annoying and often pretty helpful when I actually need her. Still, she takes the sidekick helper concept way too far. I'm 7-8 hours in, I know I'm looking for Zelda. You don't need to tell me every five minutes.

etecoon

Smash Hero
I'm in about the same place, love the time thing and the mines, I like where this is going setting up kind of a cyclical history, I commented on this before the game came out but there is a theory out there that civilization advanced a lot earlier than we think and was set back by catastrophic events. dunno how much stock I'd put in that but I think it's neat how they've been playing with that kind of concept in zelda, hints of it in WW and TP and it's getting more revealing now too

I don't mind the items at all so far, I'm actually using the bug catching net and enjoying catching bugs, I never had any fun with this in TP! only complaint is wtf at initial bomb bag only holding 10, you can buy another but you pretty much already know you're going to sell/store it later so I didn't bother...

inability to skip text you've already seen before is infuriating, bamboo minigame made me rage

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Playing while sick is so tough. My body feels so weak, that swinging the wii mote is a chore after about an hour. :urg:

You know, I always wondered how Nintendo would deal with a Zelda game were they to include mature themes like the Shadow Temple, the Well, or even the mummy guy from MM into graphics like SS. Because I haven't seen it done, it's the only reason I prefer the "mature" art style over anything else.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
^ I hope you don't have pneumonia. On Thanksgiving 3 years ago I was playing Brawl online with my brother (beside me) and two of my friends on the other side of town, and I was dominating. I had all 3 stocks left, while everyone else had just 1. Then I realized, "hey, I feel weak." Slowly I lost control of my body, and I couldn't even press in the buttons. My whole family, for some reason unknown to me, thought I was "faking it" to get out of food. Who the heck isn't hyped for a Thanksgiving meal=??? :laugh:

I actually had to have my brother feed me. I was sick for a whole month.

But yeah, I still haven't gotten the game in the mail (I pre-ordered it online). So hyped for this. I have almost finished all of my projects and studying for finals and exams early just so I can play the crap out of this game. I got mad hype! But if I get paralyzed by pneumonia again I'm gonna be seriously ticked off... :urg:

etecoon

Smash Hero
gloss golden wii remote would've been the best thing ever

still really cool though, worth the extra $20 to me

Spire

III
BRoomer
I could not figure out the very first room of the Lanayru Mining Facility for so long, I left and explored everything else I possibly could in the game (under the assumption that I was supposed to tackle the
Ancient Cistern
first).

Just beat the latter btw.
Ancient Cistern doubles as a water and shadow temple.

I have one complaint about this game: pacing. I think that covers a lot of aspects brought up so far, like the inability to skip dialog. That's a pacing concern. I'm still seduced by every single other aspect of the game, so it really hasn't held me back. I am enjoying this so, so, so much.

@ Jam - well, when I was 4, I was way into figuring out everything I could about the games I played. But we didn't have waggle back then so the relationship was different I suppose.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Man, I've never had trouble to a Zelda game before.

But I've lost twice to the first fight with Ghirahim (sp?).

It's not like I don't know what to do, either. Just . . . Now I am having controller issues. :awesome:

Spire

III
BRoomer
I didn't even have controller issues as my batteries hung on to their last drops of life. My controls have been about 95% accurate the whole time. Guess I'm just doing it right.

z00ted

I could not figure out the very first room of the Lanayru Mining Facility for so long, I left and explored everything else I possibly could in the game (under the assumption that I was supposed to tackle the
Ancient Cistern
first).
OMG me too

I felt like an IDIOT when I figured it out.

etecoon

Smash Hero
dunno what you guys are talking about, the first room of lanayru mining didn't make me think at all, the earth temple did make me feel dumb once though :(

z00ted

LOL

I kept on using the beetle to cut the rope........

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Man, yo.

I never felt like just waltzing around in TP.

But I do in this game.

I blame unemployment.

etecoon

Smash Hero
I'm employed and I spent most of today in SS just screwing off! did a lot of sidequests and treasure hunting, just got to the third dungeon

cloneofshadow

Smash Cadet
God, I'm raging at this puzzle in the
Isle of Song
I've been stuck trying to
get the bridge together so I can cross
for about 30+ minutes now.

Mono.

Stopmotion Love.
I wonder what Nintendo was thinking when they decided to give me T-Pain as a sidekick.

kupo15

Smash Hero
I was driving mostly yesterday but I wanted to comment on these.

It's not the games fault you can't beat a Bokoblin
Bokoblins aren't hard to fight, the controls is what makes them hard. Handicapping the player is a bad way to add challenge to a game.
Blah, more boring controls talk.

I'm uh, still not having any problems at all. Everything works perfect. Thrust works perfect. Swinging around a lot in different directions works perfect. Switching items is perfect once I memorize their spots in the item wheel. I feel like a total badass. I spent 20 minutes stabbing pumpkins from different angles and launching them. The controls are not 10/10 but the way some of you are acting I have to wonder if you are working with faulty hardware.

Anyways, that's boring to talk about and this page is making me depressed so I'm of to go play some more.

edit: one thing I don't like is how the equip/unequp item is the same button. I keep trying to launch the slingshot with B.
I like this type of talk. I think its fun and exciting to talk about how the game is programmed. *shrugs*
1:1 controls with waggling = Everything dies with no challenge

Just look how Jimmy Fallon owned that Stalfos in a few seconds via waggle.
I find it funny how first you said you can't wait for 1:1 sword motion and then after I shattered the fact that there is no 1:1 swordplay, now you say it would be terrible.

And I fail to see how true 1:1 motion would make things terrible. You still need to have your precise slashes just like now. What do you mean? (Not to mention that this game is still a waggle fest after you land that first precise slash.)
so obviously the solution is to make the controls less responsive

brilliant
We are on the same page ;)
Man, I am really loving the art style. What an ingenious way to totally go around the Wii's capabilities. It's not as perfect and timeless as Wind Waker but it's still so gorgeous to look at, especially places like the Bazaar and Eldin Volcano.
Yea, I think I liked WW's better too
I'm still trying to figure out how people are having trouble with the controls....
I'm having a hard time figuring out why people don't/can't recognize that the controls haven't improved one bit since TP wii. And how do you play? I use a minimalist approach. I'm not about to get on my feet and get all into it.
Dawww that's way cute :3

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Motion Controls are perfect for this game imo. The game looks great for a Wii game, runs great. It's so vastly different from other Zeldas yet still the same. I wish this was GotY

cloneofshadow

Smash Cadet
I just finished the *Insert Dramatic Drum beat*
WATER TEMPLE
. It's my favorite one in thwe series so far and the boss battle is just awesome.

30 hours and im not even close to the
5th Dungeon

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
I didn't play a lot of TP on the Wii, but I seem to recall it being pretty different. The waggle was basically just a replacement for the B button . Different angled slashes did not matter at all and I don't remember being able to do diagonal slashes anyhow.

Also, if you're having trouble with Bokoblins that's pretty hilarious and it makes sense that you would blame it on the controls lol.

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
The motion control works like 85% of the time for me. Sometimes it thinks I'm slashing down when I'm slashing horizontally, which is weird. But that doesn't happen often. Thrusting is also tricky. ****ing Skulltulas :mad:

Actually, when I played today, the controls were a lot more fluid than when I played yesterday. I dunno why.

Also, if you're having trouble with Bokoblins that's pretty hilarious and it makes sense that you would blame it on the controls lol.
^^ this

cloneofshadow

Smash Cadet
I didn't play a lot of TP on the Wii, but I seem to recall it being pretty different. The waggle was basically just a replacement for the B button . Different angled slashes did not matter at all and I don't remember being able to do diagonal slashes anyhow.

If I can remember correctly. While Z-Targeting you only do Diagonal slashes. While not Z Targeted you do Horizontal slashes, If you move forward and attack you do a stab.

Top Bottom