• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Legend of Zelda The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword - NO SPOILERS, USE THE SPOILER THREAD PLEASE

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Well, I just got to the second dungeon.

But now I'm pretty mad.

Internet spoiled me hard, and I only just met Grihirasdwhatever .

I'm going to assume what I read was false because internet. But whatever.

:mad:

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
Dead pixels have been happening with every wii game I've owned.

Just finished this game. The last boss fight was pretty spectacular. I approve. I'm pretty lukewarm about the game as a whole though. I liked it, but the feeling is different from every other Zelda I've played. I don't know how I feel about it yet. I'll have to sleep on it.

Major endgame spoilers:
Did anyone else feel strong disappointment in the final battle when Demise is going through his long speech, and Link's only response is to put on a frowny-face? I mean, I know link doesn't talk, and I kinda don't want him too, but when you're doing a character monologue with close ups, it's really weird closing in on someone whose only form of communication is to grunt and make faces. That moment lost all its epicness when they turned the camera to Link.

cloneofshadow

Smash Cadet
prolly not going to get to play much tomorrow :/ saved just before the third trial, I hated the faron trial but the lanayru one wasn't bad, much flatter terrain and fewer unwelcome surprises
That next one will make you rage SOOOO hard.

Levingy

Smash Apprentice
I would like to hear from people that have played this game already much, that how good is it really? I know it has gotten very good reviews from 90% of the reviewers, but I don't really trust those anymore. The reason is, that when Twilight Princess came and many of them(reviews) said it was better than ocarina and a very good game. Though when I played it through myself, I was very disappointed in it. So I would like to hear especially from those that considered Twilight Princess to be only good, decent or less that what do those people think about Skyward sword?

I have played Elders Scroll skyrim lately, and it feels so good and epic. I wonder how skyward sword fares against it? Skyrim seems for me as more mature Zelda. Though of course it lacks puzzle-solving in the scope of Zelda, but atleast it feels more believable in it's puzzles and other things I think. But yeah, I'm just wondering whether or not buy Skyward Sword. I liked Ocarina of Time so much back then, but I'm not 14 anymore, and Twilight Princess was a disappointment. If people can tell how they feel about the game, I would appreciate it ^_^.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Well first off, you're gonna need a wii motion+ so if you don't have that, be prepared to add 20 more dollars for the add onto a regular wii mote, or 40 dollars for a built in wii motionplus mote.

Also, I will like to note that I do prefer the "theme" so to speak of Ocarina, MM and TP. Simply because I prefer the more mature "art" to what SS gives us. It's nothing I hate or I have difficult getting into, but it's just a preference. SS seems too...light hearted so to speak.

With that being said, if you're a graphics *****, you will notice a lot of...bland textures in the background and jagged edges. But it doesn't seem like you'll care all that much so it's a moot point.

If you're someone who is pretty chill while playing on the wii, you're gonna have trouble with the sword commands registering. At college, I was playing in a chair, straight up with little problems. At home, I was lying on the couch, or leaning one way against the head rest while playing. Had a lot of blunders. Also, just be sure you hold the wii mote appropriately, I noticed that I naturally tilt the wii mote up a bit, and when I swing, it will register in another way sometimes.

The story is better than most Zelda games, but it takes a while for it to get going. If you're a slow pace guy, you'll take about 4-5 hours getting into the thick of things imo. The story really picks up in the second half of the game. The puzzles for the most part are unique, swell, but not outrageously wtf difficult.

I like the gameplay, I like the introduction of a stamina gauge. At first, it will seem like a bothersome, because I still think Link's overall speed is so SLOW, but it proves itself worthy by not letting you spam attacks in combat, and the fact stamina comes into play later on in puzzles and dungeons. I just wish he had a "run" speed that didn't drain your stamina, and then an all out "sprint".

The sky traveling is a bore to me. It's smaller than the ocean from WW, but it's usually just point A to point B, while counting how long it takes to get there. The flying mechanics can take a while getting used to as well.

Overall, it's a fun game. I don't agree with the average metacritic score, but I'm just a tough critic to begin with. I definitely recommend this game. Unless you got Gamefly or a friend who owns it, you're gonna need a good chunk of time to beat it (30-40 hours) and that's without 100%. So yeah, not meant to be rented unless you plan to rush through it for the story.

Also, I will say this. Fi, your assistant is probably just as annoying as Navi or Midna...so yeah, be prepared to deal with that crap. And I really hate how you can't skip through already read text. More annoying is seeing the lips move to just text only. Kinda...meh.

cloneofshadow

Smash Cadet
I have played Elders Scroll skyrim lately, and it feels so good and epic. I wonder how skyward sword fares against it? Skyrim seems for me as more mature Zelda. Though of course it lacks puzzle-solving in the scope of Zelda, but atleast it feels more believable in it's puzzles and other things I think.
Skyrim and Zelda are nothing alike in anyway and its almost impossible to compare them.. Anyway this game is way better in then TP in almost every aspect.

etecoon

Smash Hero
I'm going to say skyrim is "more mature" than SS just because of the excessive hand holding in SS, fi is constantly butting in telling you stuff you don't need to know, she's even immediately come out and told me the answer to puzzles the moment I walk into the room. this really needs to not happen, I can get behind a game with a bright and cheery aesthetic, SS does look great and there's nothing more adult about a game being entirely dark and brown/gray, but I have a problem with the way this game just assumes that everyone who plays it has never played a video game before or has no ability to think. there should've been a pro option for veteran players that does away a lot of that nonsense, making it friendly to beginners is one thing but you have to accommodate your long time players too

</rant>

they are apples and oranges though. some more RPGish elements in this zelda but still something really different than TES

and long winded complaints aside this game has done things for me this series hasn't been able to do since the N64 days, not done yet and I already think it's significantly better than WW and TP, but it does have a few flaws and I think the constant hints, redundant information, dowsing, and unskippable text are going to make this more difficult to replay...

third trial actually wasn't bad, did it on first try. faron is the hardest IMO, most convoluted terrain and one place where you have to go in the liquid

probably won't get to do the next dungeon today :(

cloneofshadow

Smash Cadet
are going to make this more difficult to replay...
After 6th Dungeon NON PLOT Spoiler

There is a NPC in this game this will allow you to
Re-fight Boss battles and re-do the Silent Realm trials if you liked them.
doing so allows you to unlock an
UNBREAKABLE HYLIAN SHIELD

etecoon

Smash Hero
yeah I've heard about that, good thing another 3D zelda lets you
refight bosses
. don't think I'll use the
hylian shield
though, I like the
goddess shield a lot and it never gets close to breaking on me anyway.
one of the things I didn't like in WW and TP is how link keeps using the same equipment, I'm liking this
awesome purple shield. usually it's best to just perfect shield things in this game as it is instead of hiding behind it constantly like in other zelda games

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
What mapping style do you guys use? There's something like Regular, Light, and Pro.

I'm currently using Pro. In case someone doesn't know what the **** I'm talking about: If you go to gear and go to bottom-left, you can choose. It controls how much stuff is in your HUD. It mainly affects the right side.

cloneofshadow

Smash Cadet
What mapping style do you guys use? There's something like Regular, Light, and Pro.

I'm currently using Pro. In case someone doesn't know what the **** I'm talking about: If you go to gear and go to bottom-left, you can choose. It controls how much stuff is in your HUD. It mainly affects the right side.
Even though I know the buttons by heart I keep it on light because Pro hides everything.

Ayways I'm at the last dungeon. Currently 57 hours in .

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I stick with pro. I just don't like any of that wiimote layout on the right.

@Etecoon, I read what you said about there being nothing more adult about a darker art style. I was just saying that...I don't ever expect to see something like a Shadow Temple or the decaying Hyrule in an artistic style like that. I just feel like Nintendo will always avoid those kinda scenarios.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Goddess Cube semi-spoiler
Are there some Goddess Cubes you can slash, but their respective treasure chests can't be accessed until parts of Skyloft can be accessed? I slashed 2 Goddess Cubes in the Eldin Volcano area, but I can't find the Treasure Chest icons on the Skyloft map anywhere. I want to know if it's because they're in that area in the top left corner of the Skyloft map that can't be accessed yet (if it can be), or if the game's buggy like that. :/

Also, how can you open up space in the adventure pouch? I want to remove the Small Seed Satchel, but I can't figure how to do it. CAN I do it at all?

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
I'm not one to have any good word toward desert-themed stages, but Lanaryu Desert is quickly turning my opinion around. I'm loving the atmosphere surrounding it.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Goddess Cube semi-spoiler
Are there some Goddess Cubes you can slash, but their respective treasure chests can't be accessed until parts of Skyloft can be accessed? I slashed 2 Goddess Cubes in the Eldin Volcano area, but I can't find the Treasure Chest icons on the Skyloft map anywhere. I want to know if it's because they're in that area in the top left corner of the Skyloft map that can't be accessed yet (if it can be), or if the game's buggy like that. :/

Also, how can you open up space in the adventure pouch? I want to remove the Small Seed Satchel, but I can't figure how to do it. CAN I do it at all?
Go to the item check in the bazaar and deposit it.

I just finished beating the game.

I think this is the best game I have ever played in my life. It's easily a masterpiece in so many aspects.

cloneofshadow

Smash Cadet
I just finished beating the game.

I think this is the best game I have ever played in my life. It's easily a masterpiece in so many aspects.
If you thought the seconds part of that FInal Boss is hard wait to you fight him on
HERO
mode

etecoon

Smash Hero
@Etecoon, I read what you said about there being nothing more adult about a darker art style. I was just saying that...I don't ever expect to see something like a Shadow Temple or the decaying Hyrule in an artistic style like that. I just feel like Nintendo will always avoid those kinda scenarios.
decaying hyrule?

shadow temple would probably never happen again anyway, I think people have said they retconned it a bit in the 3DS version as it is. it was a different era where nintendo hadn't gone all in on the family friendly thing like they have now, I hate to use the word "kiddy" but it kinda feels like that when fi is telling me every move to make even when it's very obvious or before the game even gives me a chance to figure it out myself, the game really does assume that you're a young child...which is BS because I was playing the original zelda and LTTP when I was that age and I didn't have help, ****ing kids these days are gonna grow up soft...

but yeah, being colorful has nothing to do with that

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
38 hours in completed the game. About 4 hours where it was left running without me doing anything, about 2 on
Lanaryu's Game
and attempting some weird sidequest.

Was lotsa fun, gonna do a completionist run in Hero Mode soon.

Seriously though your shield is your best friend ever and if I was Link I would impregnate my shield and get shieldbabies.

Beat the final boss with 2 guardian pots and a full hp restore pot with half a heart left, lol
Used the Goddess Shield for most parts of the game.
Cried/had wet eyes multiple times.
Loved the story.
When Demise was killed by the Triforce, I thought it was one of the most satisfying endings ever, then Debbie came and made it even better. Win.

I could go on and on, but I overall just REALLY enjoyed the game.

kupo15

Smash Hero
I dunno, I guess controlling the direction of the slashes is a bigger deal to me than it is to you. I also don't really care that Link has preset animations.
The fact that it is preset sword animations is what makes it not 1:1 and the same as TP with a little twist.

Also, I thought flying controls was bad but does anyone seriously think that the swimming controls are even remotely good? lol

The water temple WAS the best dungeon I've seen in a while

PoH dungeon spoilers
Are there any Poh in them other than the 1st temple? I haven't found them since and I just finished the water temple

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
I'd have preferred classic controls. I'd have preferred there never have been motion controls in the first place.

I mean, Kinect is imprecise as it is, and Playstation Move is a joke rip off of the Wii with supposed 1:1 without proof. Even if it were, 1:1 sounds like it would make games artificially difficult to play because it's playing based off human imperfection.

:mad:

This game is awesome, still, though.

etecoon

Smash Hero
controls aren't what they were cracked up to be but honestly I could deal with that for everything SS does right, the killer is the hand holding, unskippable text, unskippable scenes being redundant, there are a lot of pacing problems in this game that you'd think someone should have said something about in the five years it was in development

theeboredone

Smash Legend
decaying hyrule?

shadow temple would probably never happen again anyway, I think people have said they retconned it a bit in the 3DS version as it is.
Yep, after you pull the sword. You know, those mummies everywhere, and Hyrule looks like a piece of ****.

And you are correct. They removed a lot of the "blood stains" on the ground from the Shadow and Well. I always felt like Zelda could make itself go on the deep end and have a mature theme like that, but I guess I'm in the total minority.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Also, I thought flying controls was bad but does anyone seriously think that the swimming controls are even remotely good? lol
Had not trouble once I got used to them.

controls aren't what they were cracked up to be but honestly I could deal with that for everything SS does right, the killer is the hand holding, unskippable text, unskippable scenes being redundant, there are a lot of pacing problems in this game that you'd think someone should have said something about in the five years it was in development
Nonskippable text helps with immersion lots and lots, imo. Most scenes are skippable if you watch it for the second time, too.

Fi was adorable and I loved every time she popped out of the sword. It all makes sense because she's a robot, and I loved her especially at the ending.

Yeah I didn't think the controls were bad at all, and I was forced to waggle throughout the entire game. Controlling the Crimson Loftwing was really easy, especially since you had an entire sky to work with. No need for being precise. Swimming was a little bit clunkier, but then again, swimming is always clunky in every video game. Motion controls were easily manageable. Sword and shield controls were easy peasy. I think the only motion controls that gave me a headache was
when you're on the minecarts in the shipyard, and you had to use your Wiimote to change directions of the tracks. It took me a while to figure out the timing, and it felt like it wasn't responding half the time, but I eventually figured out the trick, and once I did, I got to the end of the track on my first try.
The motion controls were good IMO.

I'm on the same boat as you, LT. I absolutely loved this game, and even though I recognize that it isn't perfect, the game is very forgiving. Any flaws I found were either explainable or so minor that I could just ignore it and keep on enjoying the game.

Fi was adorable and I loved every time she popped out of the sword. It all makes sense because she's a robot, and I loved her especially at the ending.
Fi is hilarous, lmao. I remember before the fourth temple when
you had to go through your first spirit trial. If you were to get hit or fail a spirit trial, Fi would go up to you at the end and say something among the lines of, "I can confirm that you have failed the trial, Master", which just adds a bunch of salt to the wounds.
It's good that you can just choose to ignore her for a good majority of the game.

If you thought the seconds part of that FInal Boss is hard wait to you fight him on
HERO
mode
I figured out the trick accidentally. :3

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
My shield broke when fighting the mob, and I couldn't go back to Skyloft to get another one. I was mad.
What kinda dumb shield did you use that made it break THERE?

Besides, before fighting
Demise they give you time to go back to Skyloft =/

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Nonskippable text helps with immersion lots and lots, imo. Most scenes are skippable if you watch it for the second time, too.

Immersion would be better if I didn't have to stop and look at characters mouths moving with no words coming out -_-. And if it's something I've already read, no reason to allow me to skip over it quickly.

Fi is just annoying. I like how she's optional for the most part, but the dumb autotune thing is just too much for me.

TheSaudiMizer

Smash Journeyman
So I've ran into a problem that's keeping me from playing this game, and was hoping one of you all might be able to help me. Somehow the sensor for my wii mote is getting messed up in the game, but only in the game. I am able to move left and right just fine, but I cannot move the sensor up at all unless I am pointing the remote towards the ceiling, and floor for down, which will get it to move very slowly. I can hit the menu button during the game and move the cursor around perfectly there, but as soon as I go back to the game it's screwing up again. Despite being recalibrating every time I load the game, the problem persists beginning at the title screen. I've done the recalibration from the game launch, tried just putting it face down during the game, turning off the Wii and everything, but I can't seem to fix it. Like I said it reads the motions fine anytime other than during the actual game. If anyone can help that would be awesome because I really want to keep playing this game and haven't been able to the last few days.

Top Bottom