• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Lone Star Circuit (Updated on 10/9/2011)

Infinitysmash

Smash Champion
More questions:

1 - How is the circuit paying out at the end? Top 5 in the points standings? Top 3?

2 - Is the championship event an invitation only event or will it be open to everyone? Basically I'm asking if it's the same as MLG Dallas was.

3 - Am I getting annoying with all these questions yet? I'm sure I'll think of more :p

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
More questions:

1 - How is the circuit paying out at the end? Top 5 in the points standings? Top 3?

2 - Is the championship event an invitation only event or will it be open to everyone? Basically I'm asking if it's the same as MLG Dallas was.

3 - Am I getting annoying with all these questions yet? I'm sure I'll think of more :p

The final event will have 2 brackets. Pro bracket(top 8 players with the highest points) and an amateur bracket for everybody else. Points are more or less for seeding and pro bracket stuff. These points also carry over to next season.

As for payouts, we can do multiple things. Each event will have a circuit fee of 3$. Multiply that by the number of entrants at all the events and its a HUGE chunk of change(Easily over $500 extra cash). We can extend payouts in the final event with this money or we can dish it out according to the top 5 highest point players. Ideas are everywhere and since the finals are WAAAAY away, we have time to figure out a scheme.

The final event(back in austin) will be OPEN to all. But as i said, there will be a pro bracket(for the 8 highest players in points) and an amateur bracket for the rest.

Infinitysmash

Smash Champion
So the points from this are going to effectively be a new power rankings system and won't directly determine any type of prize support other than the 8 man pro bracket?

Xyro77

So the points from this are going to effectively be a new power rankings system and won't directly determine any type of prize support other than the 8 man pro bracket?
No no. This point system for the circuit will have no dealings with our TX PR. We will treat it like a normal event and send in the tio file like normal.

Here is what the tx circuit point system will do:

1. Give you seeding/better seeding at circuit events AND give you an auto advantage for next season(SOME points carry over)

2. Allow you to be in the pro bracket at the final event(assuming you have enough to be deemed "top 8" in points)

3. Getting enough points will also grant you extra cash at the final event. EXAMPLE: after all events are done/all points are dished out....infinity is 5th in the top 5 highest point players. He will then collect an extra 50$(for example) for being in the top 5. Doesnt matter where you place you WILL get that extra cash bonus because of your hard work through out the season.

Does this help?

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
@Xyro, he meant a "new pr system" that's only used for determining the the top 8 bracket. It obviously would have no relation to the actual PR system.

Which is an interesting, create a new pr system (again, it won't replace the old) just to handle the circuit placings and determine the top 8/16 or w/e.

Xyro77

@Xyro, he meant a "new pr system" that's only used for determining the the top 8 bracket. It obviously would have no relation to the actual PR system.
oh ok

Which is an interesting, create a new pr system (again, it won't replace the old) just to handle the circuit placings and determine the top 8/16 or w/e.
yea thats exactly what this circuit point system is doing.

Xyro77

And why I asked the question about how points were determined. How did you guys figure out an equal balance that ensures fairness?
i picked random numbers that looked cool when i typed them out.

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
And just to be clear, not trying to take over or anything lol. Just throwing out my 2 cents.

I'm really glad you guys were able to organized something like this. Can't wait to see turn outs. I like the idea that no other tournaments should be held on those selected dates too.

Xyro77

And just to be clear, not trying to take over or anything lol. Just throwing out my 2 cents.
if the points look wrong, i can always change them.

I like the idea that no other tournaments should be held on those selected dates too.
Ah, a little bit of dictator/tyrant/smash hitler in you. welcome to the club!

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
if the points look wrong, i can always change them.
It's hard to tell if something simple "looks wrong" without doing any calculations on the final result.

Have you guys tested different combinations of results to ensure equal/fair chance of making it into the top 8? Have you done research on other circuits to see what system they use for determining the top players fairly? Or are you just hoping these numbers will work out for you.

Xyro77

It's hard to tell if something simple "looks wrong" without doing any calculations on the final result.

Have you guys tested different combinations of results to ensure equal/fair chance of making it into the top 8? Have you done research on other circuits to see what system they use for determining the top players fairly? Or are you just hoping these numbers will work out for you.
ive done this on my own time, yea. what ive made SHOULD work. but im not a god at math like you are.

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
I am too :)

I did a couple of the big ones and it looked fine.

Fogo

Smash Shinigami
ive done this on my own time, yea. what ive made SHOULD work. but im not a god at math like you are.
I think you should have the Zac/Billy team look over your calculations, just to be sure. I wouldn't want any mishaps down the line when it's too late to correct issues that could be resolved now.

KoNfucius

Smash Ace
depending on work I should be able to make every event SA goes to.

Also doubles should count for something me and bigboss gonna rip **** up

Reizilla

Did you read the first post, Anthony? -______-

It's a circuit. So, different stops around Texas, build up points, championships in Austin in November :D

Tesh

Smash Hero
Circuit Points

Points will be awarded to all those who place well at events. Starting with the second event, this will determine seeding throughout the rest of the circuit. This is important for a couple of reasons:

Those who do not have circuit points may be seeded randomly having a very heavy hitter first round.
Those who accumulate high numbers of circuit points throughout these events may find themselves in a good position during the championship event.

49 players or less:

01 - 45 points
02 - 35 points
03 - 25 points
04 - 20 points
05 - 15 points
07 - 10 points
09 - 07 points
13 - 05 points

50 players or more:

01 - 95 points
02 - 70 points
03 - 50 points
04 - 35 points
05 - 25 points
07 - 20 points
09 - 15 points
13 - 10 points
17 - 07 points
25 - 04 points
33 - 01 points
Why are the points so much higher at 50+ players. It seems like an awfully large jump (about double for affected placements), but also why at 50? Shouldn't it be at whatever the cuttoff is for the bracket actually being bigger? Like you win more rounds to get to that placement thus your placement is worth more points?

What I'm asking is if you win 4 rounds in a 49 person tournament, wouldn't you get the same placement as winning 4 rounds in a 51 or 60 person tournament? Why is it worth more if you didn't have to win more rounds to get it?

sheikamaru

jive
i did and didn't know what i was reading.... lol i hope to make all these thingies... but like my question is like... so it's just a string of tournies with a title then?

Reizilla

You could say that... but it's like the most important thing in Texas since the Alamo.

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
Or you could just away points for how many games they win, 2 points for a win in winners bracket, 1 point for a win in losers bracket. Oddly enough, it works out the same :)

Top Bottom