• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Lone Star Circuit (Updated on 10/9/2011)

clowsui

Smash Legend
Good stuff you guys, can't wait to see what comes of this (especially 'cause I am a hardcore stream monster when it comes to TX events lolol)

As for points stuff, the Midwest had a pretty good setup with the first MWC...I'll try to find a thread for it

edit: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=169274&highlight=midwest+circuit

1 - 40 pts
2 - 30 pts
3 - 20 pts
4 - 15 pts
5 - 10 pts
7 - 8 pts
9 - 6 pts
13- 4 pts
17 - 2 pts
25 - 1 pt

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Or you could just away points for how many games they win, 2 points for a win in winners bracket, 1 point for a win in losers bracket. Oddly enough, it works out the same :)
ohhhhhh i like this idea. can you go more in depth?

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
Here's more depth for ya, it looks like a lot of text, but trust me it's a quick read.

Take a look at this example bracket: http://gyazo.com/fdf25a8be8a8cd4680ebc03e96e80f33.png

Point Allocation Rules:
- Award 2 points to a player if the beat someone while in Winner's Bracket. (Bye's count as wins)
- Award 1 point to a player if the beat someone while in Loser's Bracket. (Bye's count as wins)
- Ratio of 2 : 1

Point Distribution:
10 - Megafox (2+2+2+2+2)
7 - Nike (2+2+2+1)
5 - Big Boss (2+1+1+1)
5 - PyleDriver (2+2+1)
4 - LoKo (2+2)
4 - Slush (2+1+1)
3 - Jrugs (2+1)
3 - Paw (2+1)
1 - KoN (1)
1 - Tofer (1)
1 - Kyro (1)
1 - Zero (1)
0 - Base
0 - Lasar
0 - Seep​

The results don't look quite right do they? Big Boss and PyleDriver receive the same number of points even though one out-placed the other. And this is why we do testing. Let's try and change our point allocation rules and see if that helps.

Point Allocation Rules:
- Award 5 points to a player if the beat someone while in Winner's Bracket. (Bye's count as wins)
- Award 2 point to a player if the beat someone while in Loser's Bracket. (Bye's count as wins)
- Ratio is now 5 : 2 or 2.5 : 1

Point Distribution:
25 - Megafox (5+5+5+5+5)
17 - Nike (5+5+5+2)
12 - PyleDriver (5+5+2)
11 - Big Boss (5+2+2+2)
10 - LoKo (5+5)
9 - Slush (5+2+2)
7 - Jrugs (5+2)
7 - Paw (5+2)
2 - KoN (2)
2 - Tofer (2)
2 - Kyro (2)
2 - Zero (2)
0 - Base
0 - Lasar
0 - Seep​

Still not correct because Big Boss is lower than PyleDriver. Let's try and 8/5 split, ratio 8 : 5 or 1.6 : 1

Point Distribution:
40 - Megafox (8+8+8+8+8)
29 - Nike (8+8+8+5)
23 - Big Boss (8+5+5+5)
21 - PyleDriver (8+8+5)
18 - Slush (8+5+5)
16 - LoKo (8+8)
13 - Jrugs (8+5)
13 - Paw (8+5)
5 - KoN (5)
5 - Tofer (5)
5 - Kyro (5)
5 - Zero (5)
0 - Base
0 - Lasar
0 - Seep​

Compare that to the actual results of the tourney:

1: Megafox
2: Nike
3: Big Boss
4: PyleDriver
5: Slush
5: LoKo
7: Jrugs
7: Paw
9: Tofer
9: Kyro
9: Zero
9: KoN
13: Lasar
13: Seep
13: Base​

Looks pretty sweet right? I know it looks a little weird that Megafox has 40 points while Nike has 29, but I think that's appropriate because Megafox had a clean sweep over Nike. If Nike had won one of those games, he would have 5 more points, putting him at 34. What's interesting to note is that these numbers look similar to the ones you use (you know, the ones that came out of thin air), but with my numbers you see some logic and reason behind it (a ratio).

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Here's more depth for ya, it looks like a lot of text, but trust me it's a quick read.

Take a look at this example bracket: http://gyazo.com/fdf25a8be8a8cd4680ebc03e96e80f33.png

Point Allocation Rules:
- Award 2 points to a player if the beat someone while in Winner's Bracket. (Bye's count as wins)
- Award 1 point to a player if the beat someone while in Loser's Bracket. (Bye's count as wins)
- Ratio of 2 : 1

Point Distribution:
10 - Megafox (2+2+2+2+2)
7 - Nike (2+2+2+1)
5 - Big Boss (2+1+1+1)
5 - PyleDriver (2+2+1)
4 - LoKo (2+2)
4 - Slush (2+1+1)
3 - Jrugs (2+1)
3 - Paw (2+1)
1 - KoN (1)
1 - Tofer (1)
1 - Kyro (1)
1 - Zero (1)
0 - Base
0 - Lasar
0 - Seep​

The results don't look quite right do they? Big Boss and PyleDriver receive the same number of points even though one out-placed the other. And this is why we do testing. Let's try and change our point allocation rules and see if that helps.

Point Allocation Rules:
- Award 5 points to a player if the beat someone while in Winner's Bracket. (Bye's count as wins)
- Award 2 point to a player if the beat someone while in Loser's Bracket. (Bye's count as wins)
- Ratio is now 5 : 2 or 2.5 : 1

Point Distribution:
25 - Megafox (5+5+5+5+5)
17 - Nike (5+5+5+2)
12 - PyleDriver (5+5+2)
11 - Big Boss (5+2+2+2)
10 - LoKo (5+5)
9 - Slush (5+2+2)
7 - Jrugs (5+2)
7 - Paw (5+2)
2 - KoN (2)
2 - Tofer (2)
2 - Kyro (2)
2 - Zero (2)
0 - Base
0 - Lasar
0 - Seep​

Still not correct because Big Boss is lower than PyleDriver. Let's try and 8/5 split, ratio 8 : 5 or 1.6 : 1

Point Distribution:
40 - Megafox (8+8+8+8+8)
29 - Nike (8+8+8+5)
23 - Big Boss (8+5+5+5)
21 - PyleDriver (8+8+5)
18 - Slush (8+5+5)
16 - LoKo (8+8)
13 - Jrugs (8+5)
13 - Paw (8+5)
5 - KoN (5)
5 - Tofer (5)
5 - Kyro (5)
5 - Zero (5)
0 - Base
0 - Lasar
0 - Seep​

Compare that to the actual results of the tourney:

1: Megafox
2: Nike
3: Big Boss
4: PyleDriver
5: Slush
5: LoKo
7: Jrugs
7: Paw
9: Tofer
9: Kyro
9: Zero
9: KoN
13: Lasar
13: Seep
13: Base​

Looks pretty sweet right? I know it looks a little weird that Megafox has 40 points while Nike has 29, but I think that's appropriate because Megafox had a clean sweep over Nike. If Nike had won one of those games, he would have 5 more points, putting him at 34. What's interesting to note is that these numbers look similar to the ones you use (you know, the ones that came out of thin air), but with my numbers you see some logic and reason behind it (a ratio).
You had to go to college and read all this stuff to figure this out. Yet little ol' xyro over here thinks this stuff up out of thin air while hes sitting on the potty takin his daily creamy poop. Zac, i hate to tell you this but....you done did wasted SO MUCH MONEY at school. I could have taught you this for 1/4th the price.

WHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA!!!!!

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
Oh, and my numbers scale very nicely with the size of the tournament, where your numbers scale on one of two settings (below 49 or above it). Yay math :D

Infinitysmash

Smash Champion
+1 for Zac's point system.
-1 for Xyro's poop system. Though I have to admit that it's pretty funny that you're saying you just **** out the numbers and they were close to Zac's.

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
Because it's the capital and most central metropolitan area in the entire state.

Tesh

Smash Hero
wuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut? when did this happen?

Tesh

Smash Hero
S-Tier
Gnes - 2141.381
UltimateRazer - 2072.563
Dojo - 2011.447

A-Tier
Trela - 1967.580
Espy - 1964.395

3 of these people are in Houston.

Houston is the Brawl capital of Texas.

Paw

Smash Ace
NNID
pawzor
lmao, just because houston has 3 of the top 5 players on the tier list doesnt mean they should have 2 events. Austin is in the middle of Texas.

Sync.

Smash Champion
Hey Dojo, when you get a chance I updated totals for points on the results thread I made. Just in case you want to post results/running total for points

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
i would bet that per single city area houston has more brawlers than any other single city in texas whether they are ranked or not. the fact that we have 3/5 PRs in texas kinda emphasizes that. plus we had more carpools than any other single city area.

im not arguing that austin isn't a great place to have the tournies tho. im from cali and any excuse i can get to go see those awesome old style architecture buildings ill hop on in a split second (im a sucker for sick buildings). we don't have any buildings that awesome where im from. besides like you said it's in the middle of texas so everyone has to travel the same distance.

the only reason i think we shouldn't hold the championships in austin though is even on the weekend people had to wind up paying for parking even though we were told it wouldn't be an issue when it definately was. we should have the championships near austin but not directly in austin again because the parking situation was stupid crap. seriously wtf is up with parking your car in that city, it's so stupid that they can charge you like that. hell i saw 2 cars get towed, as soon as we got there and when i was parking my car at the Park n Pay.

Tesh

Smash Hero
That venue though.....Lets just have all the rest of the events in Austin eh?

Leaf.

Gets up to speed!
The venue was awesome, and I had no problem at all with parking. It was like a 10 minute walk, which wasn't a really big deal.

It was really close to everyone in general, meaning nobody had any ridiculous drive times (except maybe RGV, but who cares about them there isn't really much they can do in the first place) and the place was huge and easy to get to AND had plenty of food options really close.

Let's just have all the rest of the events in Austin.

Plus parking is going to be an issue ANYWHERE that isn't a residential area. Even if it IS a residential area, there could still be problems.

Nike.

Smash Hero
Uhhhhh I parked right outside the building, literally the closest spot to the front entrance and had no problems.

Parking wasn't an issue in Austin. If it is then you did something wrong lol.

Dojo

Smash Champion
I ended up getting towed. Trip cost me about 200 dollars. Fml.

Sorry I haven't updated this yet Sync, I've been extremely ****ing busy. I'll get to it this weekend at latest.

That was probably my last tournament. More on that later.

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
parking was a problem, just because you got a lucky spot don't mean the other 45 people like dojo didn't. not hatin, just sayin

also, it's a good thing to let each city host a tourney because that way the people who can't afford to go/get work off for more than one day can go to at least one more circuit tourney and not have to worry about driving and housing and work. austin is where the championship is at, that's good enough for me.

just an idea, i say for the side event at the championships we do region crew battles. im talking each city has all of it's represenetives on a team (letting highest ranked people on each team play more than once if neccessary to keep it numerically even) compete against the other cities' teams in massive crew battles (one stock each, winner of each get's handicapped to the percent they won at). it is something that would require the TOs to make some more rules (such as lgl specific's and stage picking and whatnot) but honestly doesn't that sound like epic fun for a championship event?

Sync.

Smash Champion

Sorry I haven't updated this yet Sync, I've been extremely ****ing busy. I'll get to it this weekend at latest.

Dojo don't leave us :/

If you want me to do it, just let me know Doj.

Gnes

Smash Master

No its not. We need to talk.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
I take all the blame for confusion about parking. Next time I'll have a video about places to park.

:phone:

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
gotta say tho, that venue was the best venue for a non national tourney i've ever been too. the only venue i enjoyed more was UC San Diego for WG4 and like i said that was a national. see if we can get that one again for sure :)

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
alright people, so at this last tourney we had 45 entrants. lets be sure we get at least five more people to go to these and compete so that way more than the PRs will be getting the circuit points. after all the more effort we put into getting over 50 people to attend, we get not just more circuit points but more payout. how hard can it be to get five more people to come to these with the amount of advance notice they give us on the dates? :)

Top Bottom