• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Lucario Playstyle Thread: Clean-up! Clean-up! (editing some of the sections)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milln

Smash Champion
*shrugs* o,o Maybe. I'm really indifferent to the matter and don't think a select few people "deserve" special names for their Lucario playstyle based on their .... .... ... And I just lost my train of thought. aslfjlkfj

xD

Sure, if you really[/i[ want to.

Tallen

Smash Journeyman
phi1ny3, i just said wave-guiding hero for fun that moment XD I don't think people should get specific titles for any reason. (either way, only the original Lucario is the wave-guiding hero, so no-go =P)
either way, what if we made a list afterwards of who plays which style? it would be nice to see how many players are offensive or defensive. for the record: i'm defensive player (or Aura Guardian, if we're really using these names now)

Nodrak

Smash Ace
Yeah, I appreciate the offer but lets not single people out =P Besides I'm sure about half the people on this forum could kick my *** <.<
What you can do however, is get people to put their names under titles(playstyles) that they think they should be under =D And tell them not to say "Offensive and Defensive" (like me) tell them to pick one =P

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Sorry to Dbl post (lol at the programming pun), but does any1 want me to apply matchups to the styles? I'll try for every 1-2 weeks to cover a char. Sound good any1?

Tallen

Smash Journeyman
Sorry to Dbl post (lol at the programming pun), but does any1 want me to apply matchups to the styles? I'll try for every 1-2 weeks to cover a char. Sound good any1?
as long as it isn't taxing at all to you, it would always be welcome.
how are the finals doing? =3

DragnSlayr

Smash Apprentice
I like this topic a lot. it really covers the ways to use lucario's game very well.

Under the list of choices I'd say I'm more of a Defensive Lucario as well, mostly taking in the fact that his power is based on his damage. I make sure that Survival is over everything else when it comes to Lucario, and always prying open those weaknesses in my opponents attacks with a jab, grab, tilt, or aerial attack.

Silvran

Smash Apprentice
Not sure if I fall into all three categories... wouldn't that technically make me balanced? Anyway, I feel that I tend to shift through the styles, relying on quick analysis and improvisation to determine how I'm going to play. Another anecdote from playing with one of my friends (I don't play at a tourny level, so it's the best I can do), is that every time we're both around, it seems like he has to re-adapt to my playstyle, and never really gets it set, unlike the way I played Marth in Melee, where he started reading my counters way too well >_>. I guess my style focuses on my ability to remain calm at high percents and using the disjointed aura hitboxes to outprioritize my opponent, while analyzing my opponent so that I can use their own favorite tricks against them .

Random thing: If we're creating titles (even assuming we haven't done anything major for the board <_<), mind if I use Wave Guided Adept?

@Tallen: Nice sig

ArkUmbra~

Smash Rookie
I'd like to consider myself balanced, but my friend says I'm extremely aggressive. Jab> Jab >ChainGrab, and Utilt are a major part of my game, which I usually tend to follow up with some Fairs and Dair/Nair if I can fit it in.
Though, I try to mix things up a bit with Double Team, and the Grab Attack (I forget the name~) to get my moves back to full strength.
I also make use of trying to frustrate my opponent with BAS. I've noticed most opponents I face tend to start rolling towards me, while avoiding the Spheres, but more often than not this just lets me FSmash or DSmash them. Or Shield Grab them, if they decide to move that close for some reason. Also like teh mindgaemz with fully charge AS.

I'm not great at approaching, but I try to fit some Ftilts in where I can.

Hmm... looking back on it, I feel like I've just gone and listed everything Lucario has >_>
So I'd go with Offensive, leaning towards balanced for me~

On a side note, I tend to have trouble approaching Lucas (it's a hard matchup in general for me). Any tips? Also found out you could cancel his PK Thunder with your Dair the other day, which provided me with lulz as Lucas fell to his death.

jinkogunai

Smash Apprentice
hi. phi1ny3, it seems that you don't have a very in depth opinion on lucario playstyles. it sounds more like an overview on what one particular player would do then what the playstyes consist of. plus, you seem pretty biased on the playstyles you mentioned. just an observation.

Nurotasama

Smash Journeyman
plus, you seem pretty biased on the playstyles you mentioned
I don't really see how its possible to be biased on playstyles of your own character. Either you know how to play it or you don't. I think sub-categories would be nice, but that'd be a bit difficult to figure out what the sub-categories would even be, let alone how many.

If you want to see more suggestions on how to use different playstyles and such, contribute!

I think I am a defensive playstyle but I'll have to play a bit more to make sure it wasn't just how I felt like playing that day.

tedward2000

Smash Champion
If you are doing this currently, CONTINUE!
Those stats will be a huge addition, and will be extremely helpful.
specially to those players new to lucario, and have yet to choose a playstyle that suites them.
-t2

jinkogunai

Smash Apprentice
I don't really see how its possible to be biased on playstyles of your own character.

If you want to see more suggestions on how to use different playstyles and such, contribute!
It's very possible to be biased on how to play a character. He referred to the balanced playstyles as unpredictable and defense playstyles as being the playstyle that gives a "clearer" view of the game (might i add that this style just happens to be the one he categorizes himself as). And i didn't say I wanted to see any more suggestions, I was just making an observation. And i wouldn't want to disrespect phi1 like that and make another thread about playstyles( seeing how he did say he was going to update the thread ).

CUsmasher2011

Smash Journeyman
I'm definitely play more of a defensive style when playing Lucario because I just recently decided to main him. Hopefully, once I get better, I will be able to become more balanced with Lucario

Mewtario

Smash Ace
I'm an offensive player, lol

been playing Smash for years, but facing Tabuu on hard or harder was the first time I ever used the L or R buttons to deliberately sheild in a hardcore battle. On Wifi, I only sheild to see if I'm player 1, 2, 3, or 4 in the match

To me, every shield used in the fray is a waisted opportunity to try to attack!

LP4Life666

Smash Journeyman
I think you should definitely put "Deceptive range" as one of Lucario's overall pros.

Also you might also want to make a note of lingering hitboxes and "slow-moving projectile" as well.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
If this thread wasn't so awesome, I'd call you a traitor for maining Marth and defending his so called "manliness," which doesn't exist. D:

Also, on the Defensive, remember that Snake can't instinctively duck under Aura Sphere, and even though grenades go through them, you can spam Aura Sphere faster than he can spam grenades, unless he tries throwing them as soon as he plucks them, at which point you just throw them back. Snake really is a tough project to stay defensive on, though, as most Lucario mains are used to their opponent naturally coming to them if they play defensive...

I'd never recommend playing purely defensive against a Snake, at any point in the match unless you somehow force him to lose his bearing and he becomes aggressive (in which case you just won the match, anyways, although if this happens, you're either a master at Lucario, or your opponent sucks).

I've fought a few pretty good Snake users, and I just have to say that a full, well-thought-out Offensive or Balanced style usually is the best way to play the match. If you give him time and space, he'll begin setting up the stage in his favor, and you'll have a tough time closing in. Just remember that there's a difference between a stupid offense and a well-thought-out offense, so don't just run into an Ftilt. That's stupid. Also, your Fsmash outranges his Ftilt(!), and if you're fighting a gutsy snake, don't whiff a usmash or roll behind him at any time(as usual, but this is even more important), as his fsmash, if given time to perform, is the fourth strongest move in the entire game (only D3 Fsmash, Ike's Eruption, and Ike's Fsmash are stronger, but these are only SLIGHT differences, like 2-5% fully charged). Luckily, it's the most rarely used move in his entire arsenal, although keep it in mind that some Snake's WILL go for it and you WILL die if you get hit.

All in all, keep up the pressure, but do NOT let him hit you, as tough as that sounds, as he has many very strong, very quick moves that will kill you (which means no aura boost!) if you let them.

BTW, I lost the matches against Snake, but they were pretty close, so I remembered what I did when I was winning. Also, they were much better players than me, anyways, so the mere fact that I almost won was a very amazing thing.

Luckily, Lucario seems to do much better against Snake than most people, so don't think the match is hopeless just because of that stupid, false matchup chart which thinks we have a disadvantage towards ROB and MK.

Lastly, Fsmash! Fsmash! Fsmash! Fsmash! Fsmash helps you so much in this fight it isn't funny regardless of your style! Fsmash outranges him, will do mondo damage, and means you're out of Utilt and Ftilt range!

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
If this thread wasn't so awesome, I'd call you a traitor for maining Marth and defending his so called "manliness," which doesn't exist. D:

Also, on the Defensive, remember that Snake can't instinctively duck under Aura Sphere, and even though grenades go through them, you can spam Aura Sphere faster than he can spam grenades, unless he tries throwing them as soon as he plucks them, at which point you just throw them back. Snake really is a tough project to stay defensive on, though, as most Lucario mains are used to their opponent naturally coming to them if they play defensive...

I'd never recommend playing purely defensive against a Snake, at any point in the match unless you somehow force him to lose his bearing and he becomes aggressive (in which case you just won the match, anyways, although if this happens, you're either a master at Lucario, or your opponent sucks).

I've fought a few pretty good Snake users, and I just have to say that a full, well-thought-out Offensive or Balanced style usually is the best way to play the match. If you give him time and space, he'll begin setting up the stage in his favor, and you'll have a tough time closing in. Just remember that there's a difference between a stupid offense and a well-thought-out offense, so don't just run into an Ftilt. That's stupid. Also, your Fsmash outranges his Ftilt(!), and if you're fighting a gutsy snake, don't whiff a usmash or roll behind him at any time(as usual, but this is even more important), as his fsmash, if given time to perform, is the fourth strongest move in the entire game (only D3 Fsmash, Ike's Eruption, and Ike's Fsmash are stronger, but these are only SLIGHT differences, like 2-5% fully charged). Luckily, it's the most rarely used move in his entire arsenal, although keep it in mind that some Snake's WILL go for it and you WILL die if you get hit.

All in all, keep up the pressure, but do NOT let him hit you, as tough as that sounds, as he has many very strong, very quick moves that will kill you (which means no aura boost!) if you let them.

BTW, I lost the matches against Snake, but they were pretty close, so I remembered what I did when I was winning. Also, they were much better players than me, anyways, so the mere fact that I almost won was a very amazing thing.

Luckily, Lucario seems to do much better against Snake than most people, so don't think the match is hopeless just because of that stupid, false matchup chart which thinks we have a disadvantage towards ROB and MK.

Lastly, Fsmash! Fsmash! Fsmash! Fsmash! Fsmash helps you so much in this fight it isn't funny regardless of your style! Fsmash outranges him, will do mondo damage, and means you're out of Utilt and Ftilt range!
I shall quote this when I get to it. Right now, I am familiarizing myself with the Lucario boards. R U serious!?! They made a matchup chart? That's quite inaccurate for Lucario, as he's not seen as often in the competitive scene, because of the mere number of Lucario mainers.

And yes, Defense was kinda hinted at being not a great Snake fight, sadly enough :(

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
I shall quote this when I get to it. Right now, I am familiarizing myself with the Lucario boards. R U serious!?! They made a matchup chart? That's quite inaccurate for Lucario, as he's not seen as often in the competitive scene, because of the mere number of Lucario mainers.

And yes, Defense was kinda hinted at being not a great Snake fight, sadly enough :(
It's been here for awhile, in the tactical discussion. It's never updated, unfortunately, and its topic is so full of crap that even if it was, it wouldn't matter. It is sorta accurate for the most part, but many of its marks are a bit questionable...

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Lol, I would sig this if they had room, and I use Marth becuz I have had a feel for him since Melee, and I liked Mew2 in Melee as well, and when I saw Lucario, I thought "Yikes! Mew2+Kill Bill=Lucario. I'm gonna have fun with this char".

tedward2000

Smash Champion
Welcome back Phi1ny3. You've been missed.

For now, idk, follow with timbers, Smakes ******* tilts. Um... nothing much else on the mind though. I'll get back to you on that.
-t2

Kevvviiinnn

Smash Lord
Good to see there's progress being made, Phil ;^)
I haven't been able to Smash at ALL over the summer, but hopefully I'll see you at Oregon's next get-together (and the chances of me making it now are pretty high, so long as it's close by). We can do some Bowser vs. Lucario to give you a little something to add to your guide ^_^

Also, Lucario guys: I've taken a liking to your character, so you'll probably see my face around these forums quite a bit. Hopefully I won't be too much of a nuisance lol

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Either I'm hitting it on the nail, or these discussions are stagnating. What char should I do next? (I'm thinkin' Bowser, but some1 has gotta be goin' to some tourney that has a burning question, and yes, I'm trying to go for a different approach [in both char discussion and pick] from the weekly matchup thread, otherwise, whats the point?):confused: Although I have nothing against the other thread, it's well developed.

grandmaster192

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3196-5457-3748
Lucario's just camp and spam their roll/fsmash/projectile against my mk and marth until there's an opening than start doing combos.

LordoftheMorning

Smash Champion
Hehe, is everyone just gonna post just saying what style they are? Well... yes.

I'm probably the balanced/defensive sort. For some strange reason I always get owned the first 60% of the first stock of any match, which is why its a darn good thing I use Lucario. I catch up with some offensive whenever I have momentum, then if i kill first i try to get as much damage on them while I'm still on my first stock with defensive style. Sometimes they get so distracted by the elusiveness of the style that they forget they just need to get one good smash in. When that happens I usually get a huge lead on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom