• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Lucario Playstyle Thread: Clean-up! Clean-up! (editing some of the sections)

Status
Not open for further replies.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
I'm now selecting a char that I'm sure ppl have problems with one way or another, and I'm thinking Falco. Any other suggestions on what I should do next, or is Falco good? Also, contributions to character specific discussions would be helpful, as most of you main these chars one way or another.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Just so you know it says Meat Knight not Meta Knight. I'm not sure if you did that on purpose or not. Good thready by the way.
Ya, that was intentional. Thanks, but it would be good to also get input from ppl who've either mained/secondaried falco, won against him, or lost.

tedward2000

Smash Champion
Hmmm....
well at the time I did second falco, but I wasn't a fan of the shiny.
Personally I loved Dair, especially, Dthrow>Dair>dair (which 9/10 times was a spike).

Now, however, He doesnt fit my play style, and is, to me, a bit slow.
-t2

Timbers

check me out
You gotta stay offensive against Falco. He's a very good character with really no weaknesses. Keep him in the air as long as you can really. His ground game is phenomenal, with great out of shield options, amazing jabs/jab cancels, down throw, tilts, etc.

His air game is hardly a threat, so keeping to the air is something you want to do. Just be aware of his bair. It's very fast and easily one of his best aerials. Dair is very good as well, but in this specific matchup you really shouldn't be too scared of it.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
Should i stay MK or go Lucario vs Falco? I am wondering.

Timbers

check me out
Hard to say. Both do quite well against Metaknight. I guess use whoever you're more comfortable with as far as the matchup is concerned, I don't play as Metaknight so I wouldn't know.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
I think he meant using MK against Falco, or Lucario vs. Falco. Both have good advantages against him. I would say whoever ur most comfortable with, although I"ve heard MK can be Chain grabbed (don't know if it's true though) but Lucario can't.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Survival bump:
What is a char that ppl have trouble with (that I haven't covered)? Maybe I can shed light on that char. And I'm liking the discussion about chars, this is good.

Charizard92

Smash Champion
Hmm, Lucario is my second (If you can't guess my first, you are really ****ed), and not playing him that often, I think I play a more offensive Lucario (You're supposed to just go on an aerial onslaught right? if so, good thing Squirtle is primarily aerial, if not, can ya please explain how you're supposed to be offensive?)

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Hmm, Lucario is my second (If you can't guess my first, you are really ****ed), and not playing him that often, I think I play a more offensive Lucario (You're supposed to just go on an aerial onslaught right? if so, good thing Squirtle is primarily aerial, if not, can ya please explain how you're supposed to be offensive?)
First, read the Offensive section, well. Second, U know if ur offensive IF:

-You tend to invest in pressuring up close/racking damage quickly at the same time.
-You focus on spacing yourself near ur opponent most, as opposed to anticipating at times.
-Aerial assaults are common, but ground scuffles are common, and you find your opponent staying in one spot more than you are.
-You rub raw garlic under your armpits, without deodorant.
-You burp and fart in other people's faces.
-If you are blunt, and misanthropic
-You kick puppies.

Other than that, I don't see why it's too hard to see what an offensive Lucario is.:confused: Or is it?

Charizard92

Smash Champion
First, read the Offensive section, well. Second, U know if ur offensive IF:

-You tend to invest in pressuring up close/racking damage quickly at the same time.
-You focus on spacing yourself near ur opponent most, as opposed to anticipating at times.
-Aerial assaults are common, but ground scuffles are common, and you find your opponent staying in one spot more than you are.
-You rub raw garlic under your armpits, without deodorant.
-You burp and fart in other people's faces.
-If you are blunt, and misanthropic
-You kick puppies.

Other than that, I don't see why it's too hard to see what an offensive Lucario is.:confused: Or is it?
-Did, wasn't very clear
-do, but it really helps if Lucario had a kill move that works at 0% damage (Lucario of course)
-... I guess
-Cpus don't stay in one spot. However, I do link grabs and aerials, although this primarily may be because my main is PT, and linking aerials (Squirtle) and throws (Charizard) is very important with that character. Lucario's lack of a Kill move at perfect or good health means it really helps with the shift to second
-You're thinking of Wario
-see above
-What?
-NO! Nobody does that (that I know of at least)
-I know now that I am an offensive Lucario seconder.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
-Did, wasn't very clear
-do, but it really helps if Lucario had a kill move that works at 0% damage (Lucario of course)
-... I guess
-Cpus don't stay in one spot. However, I do link grabs and aerials, although this primarily may be because my main is PT, and linking aerials (Squirtle) and throws (Charizard) is very important with that character. Lucario's lack of a Kill move at perfect or good health means it really helps with the shift to second
-You're thinking of Wario
-see above
-What?
-NO! Nobody does that (that I know of at least)
-I know now that I am an offensive Lucario seconder.
-I think it's pretty clear judging by the # of responses that talked about it. I could work on it, but I see that a majority could depict what the border is between "offensive" and "nonoffensive".
-Everything that's a kill move can kill at 0%, it's just that it won't happen for a lllloooooonnnngggg time (when ur opponent is at really high %s). Also, ever thought of using dair off the edge, or AS, or bair on occasion (all off the edge)? I mean, all Lucarios should know that it won't be an easy kill at 0%, tho I'm sure ur being either naive or sarcastic about taking that into consideration.
-LOLWUT? cpus? Of course they don't stand still. Second, I ask u: do we compete in tourneys against:
A: other people
B: cpus
C: toasters.
I don't get what ur saying about this.
-No, this is called the "Lucario Playstyle thread", and if u haven't noticed, Lucario's aerials are very good. Also, Wario's ground game is meh, it's kinda slow, so I don't see how "ground scuffles" could be confused as a Wario thing.
-Get a De-smellerizer.
-I am at times, lol.
-Most important way to tell, always.

Silvran

Smash Apprentice
Finally a character I feel I can talk about. Best friend plays D3, so despite it not being tournament experience, it might be useful. I'll list a few things I routinely do

- Pressure the shield. Basic, but D3's head and feet seem to have very little coverage. Couple this with D3's grabs, and the fact that they have great range for shield grabbing, and you can actually pressure their shield enough to render it small enough to work around. For instance, I can land a hit, and possibly short hop throw an aura sphere at his head, and quite often get it to hit just the top- which is no longer protected by the shield.
- That said, approaching is a pain. Waddle Things (forward b) mean aura sphere doesn't pressure him much, and he can shield grab a lot of your moves. He has better range on his f-tilt than yours, and I think it's longer than fsmash. Use your roll, spot dodges, etc. Balanced probably has the advantage since it would probably have a better approach with defensive techs, with a slight lean towards offense- you cannot let D3 play his game.
- If they're stupid enough to try to come down on you with either up-b or d-air, you can try to u-smash. D-air might get through, but up-b will not.

Well, there's what I can think of off the top of my head. Overall, if you can approach and keep the pressure on, you have an advantage, the approach being the key. Thing is, you'll need to balance offense and defense on the approach. I'll update this if I remember anything specific. Oh, and watch it if you're trying for a jab-jab-anything. He can easily stop it. Hope people find this useful, and take it with a grain of salt.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Thank you for contributing to the thread, I'll add that soon.

Also, should I do how playstyles work on different stages? That won't be for a while, but I think it's a good idea (btw, for those who aren't familiar with how I do this thread stuff, it's on pure observation, and help from other ppl discussing).

Charizard92

Smash Champion
-I think it's pretty clear judging by the # of responses that talked about it. I could work on it, but I see that a majority could depict what the border is between "offensive" and "nonoffensive".
-Everything that's a kill move can kill at 0%, it's just that it won't happen for a lllloooooonnnngggg time (when ur opponent is at really high %s). Also, ever thought of using dair off the edge, or AS, or bair on occasion (all off the edge)? I mean, all Lucarios should know that it won't be an easy kill at 0%, tho I'm sure ur being either naive or sarcastic about taking that into consideration.
-LOLWUT? cpus? Of course they don't stand still. Second, I ask u: do we compete in tourneys against:
A: other people
B: cpus
C: toasters.
I don't get what ur saying about this.
-No, this is called the "Lucario Playstyle thread", and if u haven't noticed, Lucario's aerials are very good. Also, Wario's ground game is meh, it's kinda slow, so I don't see how "ground scuffles" could be confused as a Wario thing.
-Get a De-smellerizer.
-I am at times, lol.
-Most important way to tell, always.
-whatever
-I already got that. I also do use dair as a gimp. I just have to be diagonally above the opponent and all. I haven't played Lucario a lot, but it certainly beats almost the rest of the cast.
-A: I am pretty Isolated, so cpus are my only option, and toasters don't have thumbs, brains, or for that matter, a body.
B: Pokemon trainer, my main (we already know that PT is low tier and isn't likely to go very high, just don't say he sucks [yet]) has an avid aerial game and throw game, just not at once (Squirtle links aerials together and Charizard links throws together. Ivysaur spams projectiles and plays defensive, but aura sphere has different properties, and I like being a bit more offensive). The fact that I already play an aerial game and a throw game means the learning curve ain't so high (it still is, but not as much as someone just picking up Lucario from the start)
-Uh, I was talking about the burp and fart in face thing. That's Wario, not Lucario
-What was the second joke thing now?
-I don't kick puppies, you honestly think I'd actually do that?
-uhh, I already found out, I think...

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
-whatever
-I already got that. I also do use dair as a gimp. I just have to be diagonally above the opponent and all. I haven't played Lucario a lot, but it certainly beats almost the rest of the cast.
-A: I am pretty Isolated, so cpus are my only option, and toasters don't have thumbs, brains, or for that matter, a body.
B: Pokemon trainer, my main (we already know that PT is low tier and isn't likely to go very high, just don't say he sucks [yet]) has an avid aerial game and throw game, just not at once (Squirtle links aerials together and Charizard links throws together. Ivysaur spams projectiles and plays defensive, but aura sphere has different properties, and I like being a bit more offensive). The fact that I already play an aerial game and a throw game means the learning curve ain't so high (it still is, but not as much as someone just picking up Lucario from the start)
-Uh, I was talking about the burp and fart in face thing. That's Wario, not Lucario
-What was the second joke thing now?
-I don't kick puppies, you honestly think I'd actually do that?
-uhh, I already found out, I think...
- I'm willing to help in specifying, I'm not going to name particular AT's too often, tho. This is based on raw observation.
-agreed.
-A: I know what u mean of the cpu thing (my schedule is whacky, and doesn't always allow flexibility to play, and when I do, I find that no one else is able to come T.T).
-B: Yes, this alone will be very helpful in understanding Lucario, if you've already got someone who has a good aerial game like squirtles, and grab game like Charizard. The only thing that might differ from squirtle's air game, tho, is that Lucarios is more spacing oriented (not as much as say, Marth, tho). Oh, and toasters have feelings too, you know :(.
-Yup
-Nevermind, it's kind of an inside joke, in the sense that it's an old Nickelodeon thing.
-I meant about being misanthropic. I don't like ppl half the time. jk
-O RLY?

Silvran

Smash Apprentice
I got a better way to describe the anti-shield tactics I use on D3. Only reason I mention it is that they're somewhat reliant on their shields as far as defensive grabbing goes. The key I've found is to hit the pom-pom on his hat. Aim for that or his feet, and it gets way easier to go around the shield. Not quite sure how to deal with rapid spot dodges, anyone got an idea on that?

Oh, and d-air has higher priority and speed than you'd expect. Be careful when trying to clash a move with it.

Charizard92

Smash Champion
- I'm willing to help in specifying, I'm not going to name particular AT's too often, tho. This is based on raw observation.
-agreed.
-A: I know what u mean of the cpu thing (my schedule is whacky, and doesn't always allow flexibility to play, and when I do, I find that no one else is able to come T.T).
-B: Yes, this alone will be very helpful in understanding Lucario, if you've already got someone who has a good aerial game like squirtles, and grab game like Charizard. The only thing that might differ from squirtle's air game, tho, is that Lucarios is more spacing oriented (not as much as say, Marth, tho). Oh, and toasters have feelings too, you know :(.
-Yup
-Nevermind, it's kind of an inside joke, in the sense that it's an old Nickelodeon thing.
-I meant about being misanthropic. I don't like ppl half the time. jk
-O RLY?
-thank you
-we can stop this note
-A: at least one person here understands (OK, there are likely more than one)
B: Glad to know that
C: Uh, we can't even get advanced robots have feelings yet, what makes you think a toaster can?
-we can stop this one too
-and this one
-and this one
-and I hate cliches, especially ones with absolutely no point or are from a rather obscure source (Starfox came up with two cliches, yet if you ask a random person on the street, you can reward yourself a cookie if they even know what Starfox is, and two if they don't confuse it for Star wars)

RMAC

Smash Cadet
Not quite sure how to deal with rapid spot dodges, anyone got an idea on that?
If you try to do the jab-jab-force palm grab combo and they are able to spot dodge the grab consistently, try mixing it up a little. Do something like jab-jab-Fsmash. So that when the spotdodge animation ends they'll eat a Fsmash. If you start adding this in, you'll be able to do some jab-jab-force palm grabs as well during the match because they wont know whether to spot dodge to avoid a force palm grab or to sheild/attack to prevent getting hit by a Fsmash. Hope that helps

manhunter098

Smash Lord
Well I have to say that the most important thing in this matchup is to do your best to avoid being in DDDs grab range. I would say that with his limited number of fast attacks you can easily keep the pressure on him with-dairs and f-airs, just be sure to always conserve your second jump and not to get too agressive.

Charizard92

Smash Champion

10Obviouslynotamusedtoastersatabovecomment.
^ that's a cartoon, not a real life toaster. Also, If our most advanced robot doesn't have emotions, what makes you think a... oh. Toasters on this Earth don't have emotions, in order to get that, you need to make a portal to another dimension, and there are more important (and/or fun) things you can get than a toaster with emotion.

Aura Power

Smash Apprentice
MO (small town sry, can't tell you exactly where)
I really don't know, I suppose I'm more offensive but I don't go like AAAAAAAAAAAABBBFP crazy. I camp, I Air, I F-smash, but never press the advantage too hard so I can back out of it if I need to. Also oh noes an angry toaster! *Unplugs* *gets shocked*. Also ted your sig made the post look humorous =D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom