• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Mario vs Everyone Else Q&A Thread

Matt07

Smash Master
:laugh:, it does get bumped quite a bit with questions though. Oh I lost to a Snake due to my stupid thinking that Mario's jab would out-reach Snake's fsmash. I got K.O'd pretty quickly.

Matt07

Smash Master
Oh Falco is so hard to hit. Yup, couldn't hit him with any smashes, really annoying -.-. By the time I managed to get a K.O on him (with FLUUD...) I was already at my last stock. And his dash, to usmash is uuh...wtf??? Can Mario do that? Basically what do you guys use to K.O Falco with, since smashes don't really seem to work.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
His recovery is -very- open to manipulate.

You don't really need to go out of your way to attempt to Smash attack Falco. That's generally the worst thing you can do. When you see an opening for a Smash attack, you'll know when to use it. But until it opens up, save your Smash attacks and just go for knocking him off stage.

When he's off stage, his recovery is hindered by FLUDD, but it might not be able to KO him depending on where you stopped him at. However, more times than usual FLUDD stops his Side-B right in front of you. Thats the perfect moment to let off a Smash attack for the kill.

tl;dr version: Rack up damage, hinder his recovery, wait for an opening to Smash attack.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Usmash is way easier to land than Fsmash, which requires setups. Don't use your Usmash until you plan to KO since OOS is sex.

Just find ways to mindgame into that Fsmash or get better at predicting your opponents. Once you do that, you won't really have this problem.

Matt07

Smash Master
Haha don't worry about it, we can just keep asking question, even if it's already been asked. Too hard to update consintely.

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
Sadly Mario's ledge options suck besides what I said and cape stalling. It's one of his major weakpoints. It's why I always prefer to make it back to the stage when it's possible.
Have you tried wall jump to Bair, you can wall jump off ledges and it works on every stage besides Deflino and Halbred.

Matt07

Smash Master
I hate when I wall jump. About 90% of the time I K.O myself because I wasn't excepting to do it. It's probably just WiFi though.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Haha don't worry about it, we can just keep asking question, even if it's already been asked. Too hard to update consintely.
I know what you mean, but I updated anyways... took a freaken hour to put all that crap up.

Vyyruss

Smash Apprentice
Does mario have anything that out prioritizes metaknight down a?
Seriously. There was a metaknight at the tournament I went to
yesterday that literally, just floated above people jumping and
doing that attack baiting them to attack him, then he annihilated
them. It has pretty high priority and from what I heard can even
out prioritize the mario UpB.

Matt07

Smash Master
Usually DI upwards when he hits you with a d-air, so he can't follow up with another attack. Against Metaknight, airdodge,airdodge, airdodge. Wait for him to fluke an attack and punish. When MK does d-air I like to use u-air, I think they trade hits, or if you space correctly you will hit the Metaknight.

Vyyruss

Smash Apprentice
I'll keep that in mind. I really don't like to have to trade hits
when I don't need to. But it looks like that's my only option
with metaknight. *le sigh*

Vyyruss

Smash Apprentice
Any generally things you guys can think of against fighting a GaW?
I seem to just do generally bad against him all together. That st00pid
turtle makes me wanna find the nearest pet store and punch one in the
face

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
About Metaknight: Bait his attacks and make godly use of Mario's B-air. Stay defensive throughout the entire match. MK's D-air is a pain, but it's pretty easy to stay away from. MK can't stop fireballs and has pretty bad shield-stun. Up-B is also great to use against him.

About G&W: I believe a similar question was already answered. Check the front page and if you wanna ask something more specific, come back.

Matt07

Smash Master
Umm...I don't think so, D-air is a bad move to use against Metaknight's d-air, MK can just SDI (Smash DI) out of it, and d-air while your still your attack. But that's a good question, I'm not all that sure.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Does our dair out prioritize meta's uair?
None of our attacks out-prioritize any of MK's attacks besides the last hit of D-air to MK's Tornado, and our attacks clash with MK's Glide Attack.

MK has transcended priority on all his regular attacks (this excludes G-air and his specials). This means that his attacks does not clash with any other attacks, which basically means MK goes through any attack that does not out-range him.

However, this means he can't do anything to projectiles except shield them.

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
I'm not sure; does the cape have transcended priority? I think it does but I'm not sure; I know the cape is pretty screwy when it comes to priority.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
The cape doesn't clash with anything. It's just not super-quick. So yeah, it does have transcended priority.

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
Any tips for fighting kirby, his air priority is great and he is more
of a defensive character.
You can force him to approach with fireballs and the FLUDD since the cape neutralizes his projectile spam. FIHL stops all of Kirby's aerials. Bair is a good move against Kirby since it has about the same priority as most of Kirby's aerials but has better reach. Kirby is a hard character to gimp overall but if he's forced to use his Up B he's easy to cape/FLUDD. Also, Up B OOS hurts Kirby's offensive options against Mario. As far as approaching Kirby, just use fireballs and Bairs.

Geou

Smash Apprentice
Also, if he tries to Gonzo Combo ya (forward throw -> U-Air -> turn around U-Tilt -> B-Air) like every Kirby will (TRUST me), just use Up+B and you should get out before the U-Tilt. Kirby's approach is pretty bad, so I suggest saving U-Smash until he's around 110% for an easy kill.

If he stands at the edge, just waiting for you, just spam fireballs endlessly. He'll slip up on his shielding eventually.

When recovering, I suggest using Up+B immediately if he's about to connect with a D-Air. There's pretty much no coming back if you're low enough.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Only Up-B if you're close to the ledge.

Otherwise, rely on fireball guarding and cape. Kirby can go pretty far when trying to edgeguard.

Matt07

Smash Master
Yea, Kirby isn't too too bad. Just his dash attacks get annoying (cause I usually do a spot dodge, instead of shield grabbing.) and his smashes come out fast, and 'weird to DI.'

Yea...I'm doing horrid against ROB's everytime I face them, I always lose xD. Played 5 different ROB's in one day and lost to them all. But I think I'm gonna try and figure out how to fight them myself this time. If I don't I will come back here and ask for help (Matt07 vs ROB=0:100 in ROB's favour.)

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
Yea, Kirby isn't too too bad. Just his dash attacks get annoying (cause I usually do a spot dodge, instead of shield grabbing.) and his smashes come out fast, and 'weird to DI.'

Yea...I'm doing horrid against ROB's everytime I face them, I always lose xD. Played 5 different ROB's in one day and lost to them all. But I think I'm gonna try and figure out how to fight them myself this time. If I don't I will come back here and ask for help (Matt07 vs ROB=0:100 in ROB's favour.)
Don't approach prematurely and punish his projectile spam, R.O.B.s like to camp, teach them that they can't.

Matt07

Smash Master
Ooh, that's why I'm doing so bad xD. I always approach ROB and Cape his projectiles when needed, but eventually his projectiles get the best of my offensive playstyle, then I start to lose. Cape owns in this match-up I see, thanks :D.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
I've been having the same problem with ROBs too Matt, lol. My problem with them is just lack of experience, I keep forgetting how long Nair stays out or that EVERY Rob follows spotdodge with Dsmash. My combo game is getting better though, which really sucks for them XD

A little problem I've had is vs Olimar. They're REALLY telegraphed, it's just I don't know how to deal with alot of things he does even if I know it's coming. Grab's one example, Fsmash edgeguard is another.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Just cape the F-Smash if it's that predictable.

For grabs, I treat them like DDD and go for a SH D-air. Good shield pressure and stops them from auto-grabbing whatever we throw at them. I spotdodge the grabs if it's coming at me though.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
A little late, but here's a few tips:

Vs Kirby: Don't let him eat you. A lot of Kirby's underestimate Mario Fireballs, but if he gets them, he can easily outcamp you with them, be a general pain in the ***, or even use them to momentarily stop you and get an Fsmash off.

I'm pretty sure Kirby's Bair beats out all of Mario's aerials, but I could be wrong.

Can't you also Nair out of the Gonzo combo? I know Yoshi can and it looks like they are roughly the same speed.

Final Cutter is absolutely worthless for Kirby in this matchup. There is no reason the shockwave should ever NOT be caped, and if the Kirby likes to FC camp the ledge (which I do due to the ridiculous aerial priority), you go in and cape him and boom, he falls to his demise since he can't grab the ledge behind him.

I'm not certain, but Kirby's Bair and Dair might allow for FIHL.

When Kirby sees the Fthrow combo isn't working so well, he will probably try Dthrow>Utilt>Usmash (give or take a Utilt, and if the Mario player really sucks or isn't expecting it, he might even be able to get a Dair>Dthrow after the first Utilt, though I think I am the only one with the balls to even try it against lighter characters (and since it rarely works, that's not a good thing).)

Don't underestimate Kirby's tilts. His Utilt has ridiculous priority and a disjoincted hitbox (Somehow a kick behind me will stop a golf club coming into my face or a ROB Dsmash...), his Ftilt is fairly good and can trip (which is followed by a Fsmash), his Dtilt can be pivot dash canceled and trips often. Also, his jab has great priority for a jab (Can cancel some smashes that are behind him for some reason).

I'm pretty sure Nair will destroy Kirby's Uair juggling.

And now, the killer thing I really shouldn't tell you: While I haven't done it, I have heard you can DI up through Kirby's Dair and footstool him (Not sure if fast falling affects this).

Vs ROB: Cape, cape, cape. Watch out for his Nair, as it stays out a while and outprioritizes everything. His Fair has deceptively long range and his Bair is disjoincted. Also, Fair has his whole body as the hitbox for some reason, not just his arms.

If you're hanging on to the ledge, cape as soon as you jump up; odds are a gyro is coming at you, and even if it isn't, it stops your momentum and can be good for mindgaming and safe landings. This in and of itself was the main thing that was going for me when I play my friend's ROB.

ROB can get out of Utilt combos early, but meh, you might as well try them anyway. Free damage is free damage.

This match revolves around caping the projectiles, especially the Gyro (the laser is weak enough that getting hit now and again isn't too bad), and punishing his approach if/when he gets tired of being killed by his own gyro.

Also, not sure how many ROBs do this, but my friend enjoys hanging at the ledge and boosting back up to gyro/laser, or Nair if you're too close. If this happens, cape the gyro after dodging it, pick it up, jump above him (out of range of his aerials preferably), throw it up when you are above him, and try to attack/confuse/stage spike/distract him. Most of the time, he will be paying attention to you and not notice the gyro coming back down on him, which screws with his position and throws him off balance.

Also, FLUDD seems kind of useless in this match.

Hope that helps.

Top Bottom