• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The "Midwest Massacre" Tournament

S

SUPERSAYIN

Wow, if you guys made it up here from Indiana, the week after your tournament, I might have to reward you a few extra points for rusticness, which of course you can redeem for a beverage or perhaps a slice of pizza come tournament time.

Ignatius

List Evader
BRoomer
yeah, well..... we thought we could at least win teams and get some money, so better us to get money than Ohio.

Besides, we've been trying to get JV into a tournament we're in for quite a while now.

jv3x3

Smash Champion
Originally posted by Star Wars 13
**** you Joshu! This was suppose to be Ohio's tournament!
In case you didnt know, I am the ohio slayer

Originally posted by Ignatius256
yeah, well..... we thought we could at least win teams and get some money, so better us to get money than Ohio.

Besides, we've been trying to get JV into a tournament we're in for quite a while now.
Yeah, lol, jv's been trying to play SOF/Eddie for awhile now 2.

CahPhoenix

Smash Journeyman
Whoah

I saw this topic, but never really looked at the date. It would be one long *** drive for me, but since it's during Thanksgiving break I might be able to come with my roomate. Mapquest does say 11 hrs., but I could make it in 8-9 :cool:

Anyways, I hope that all the Indiana ppl. come as I really would like to play everyone. Looks like it will be a huge, fun tourney.

S

SUPERSAYIN

Well, its yet to be determined the exact locations, but what i do know is that they are going to be close enough so that i dont have to hear any whining about it, sike.
As for those rules things im not so great on making them so how about we just go by whatevers on the second post and if theres something you dont like about it let me know.

Star Wars 13

Smash Apprentice
4 stock, 8 minute limit (no limit for teams)
Items on Very Low, save both Mushrooms, Hammer, Heart, and Tomatoe
Team attack on
Levels are random, save Yoshi Island 64, Hyrule Temple, and Brindstar Depths
Each player/team may choose one level they do not want to play in the first, randomized match
2/3 matches
Loser can either change character, or choose next level.

jv3x3

Smash Champion
if u use these, edit them into your first post. But we can vote or whatever if everyone wants. Right now after several tourneys i think the below are the best rules 2 use period though.

Rules for 2vs2 (starts at 2:00pm):
Entree Fee: $10 per team or more if everyone wants (all of this goes into the prize money)
Prize: 1st place team gets 75%, 2nd place team gets 25%
Stock: 4
Team Attack: ON
Items: None
Stages: Battlefield, Final Destination, Kirby 64, Fountain of Dreams, Pokemon Stadium, Yoshi Story, Rainbow Cruise, Poke Floats
*Unless agreed upon, the stage for each match will be chosen randomly.
*A stage cannot be played twice in the same round. For example, if Kirby 64 is chosen for the first match, and is again randomly chosen for the second or third match, then the players must restart the match with a different random level.
*Between matches, the loser may pick a different character or pick the level.
*If one player on a team loses all of his stock, he is allowed to take a stock from his teammate. He doesn't have to, but the option is there.
*Double blind picks can be requested before first match

Rules for 1vs1 (starts after teams, probably about 4:00 pm, but maybe earlier):
Entree Fee: $5 or more if everyone wants (all of this goes into the prize money)
Prize: 1st place gets 70%, 2nd place gets 25%, and 3rd place gets 5%
Stock: 4
Items: None
Stages: Battlefield, Final Destination, Kirby 64, Fountain of Dreams, Pokemon Stadium, Yoshi Story, Rainbow Cruise, Poke Floats
*Unless agreed upon, the stage for the first match will be chosen randomly.
*A stage cannot be played twice in the same round. For example, if Kirby 64 is chosen for the first match, and is again randomly chosen for the second or third match, then the players must restart the match with a different random level.
*Between matches, the loser may pick a different character or pick the level.
*Double blind picks can be requested before first match

SS also, ill help run things and brackets n all that if youd like the help cause ive ran quite a few by now. But your call. Just tryn get the best location you can lined up. Otherwise, everything looks good man

Cah, ur crazy, lol..... driving times sound like my trips though. Anyway, if you guys come up i can maybe offer lodging or something to make things more accomandable (sp?), same with other out of state people. But it really depends on how many are coming and all that stuff. A hotel prolly would be better if you all wanna get one and smash there that night n stuff (other things 2 do in MI 2). Anyway, hope everyone can make it.

Ignatius

List Evader
BRoomer
I'm assuming its items off with that set up....

well, I'll see how well Flame of Bowser goes to see if I agree with these rules or not, specially since I'm actually a fan of items. But no objections currently.

jv3x3

Smash Champion
Originally posted by Star Wars 13
I thought that the seven random levels were all suppose to be flat, or stationary platformers. Which would exclude Rainbow Cruise, and Poke Floats...
Not really, limited levels is just to limit or prevent camping/broken stages in an item off setting (it says it up there "items:none"). The moving levels keep variety in a more limited set of levels. Neither are broken or flawed (aside from the poke fall through glitch). And both take skill to play. Thats my thinking.

I think they both should be in there, but if people wanna vote on that 2 thats cool also. One at least should be in there though (Rainbow cruise is prolly the better of the 2).

KishSquared

Smash Master
Hate to say it, but the Kishes can't make it. Thanksgiving is family time, after all, and that's what we (and our parents) decided. You all should be ashamed for leaving your families during the holiday weekend! Seriously, though, good luck with the tourney, and may Joshu and Iggy properly represent the Ship of Fools!

S

SUPERSAYIN

Jv I would love the help my man, I planned on writing more in this post, but im going to bed, goodnight.

S

SUPERSAYIN

According to my above post I was too tired to type any longer, but when I finished I saw the message which informed me that those Kish dudes are not coming, thats dissapointing, you guys seemed rustic as **** and I was down with that. Besides Im sure your family would understand when they lay gaze upon the handful of cash you would have brought home. . . oh excuse me, did I say "would have" cause I totally meant would NOT have.

CahPhoenix

Smash Journeyman
Lodging?

JV, yah I know i'm kinda crazy like that. I don't really understand what you meant by lodging. Did you mean come up to NC first? That would be a little out of the way for me if so. I plan on leaving Thursday night or early Friday morning depending on how I feel after Thanksgiving dinner.(God forbid the triptophan puts me to sleep on the road lol)

I would, however, be more than happy to split a hotel room with you and anyone else. I didn't get to do that last tourney so hopefully I can play a lot Friday night or something.

Seven11

Smash Cadet
rules, rules, rules...

I don't know why team attack would be ON. That's something I'm very unfamiliar with, but I guess I'm gonna have to start using it a little bit to get used to it.

The only thing I really don't understand is the Rainbow Cruise and PokeFloats. I think those levels have too much going on to be used in tournament play. Again, that's just me, though.

smasher1001

Smash Journeyman
hey, super sayan

super sayan,it would be alot more clear if you posted YOUR official rules in ur 1st post,just so every1 is clear on them

S

SUPERSAYIN

OK you guys want rules Ill give you rules. . . . . . .
. . . . OK how are those, the rules about the items and team attack are still up for vote, if I missed anything or did it wrong let me know. And tell me what you think about team attack and items, cause I like items and am not a fan of team attack (but its probably a good idea), but it seems the majority are not.

D

Deleted member

I might be able to attend. This would be sweet for me as it would be my first tournament. If I go, I would probably bring a friend so we could be a team. I use Ganondorf/Fox/Peach (subject to change).

phatassesrock

Smash Apprentice
What up Adam. Just wanted to say I am exited about the tourney. Not sure if I am going to be bowser or zelda or pikachu. Its going to rock though. Lata dude.

S

SUPERSAYIN

OK I talked to a manager at Electronic Boutique and he sounded interested in helping out with the tournament maybe letting us use a room in the mall or something, who knows. But ill need to do some convincing still, if anyone knows what i should tell the dude feel free to interject, well it wouldnt really be interjecting but whatever.

smasher1001

Smash Journeyman
well,i guess you could say something along the lines of if we were able to use ur store,the tournament would attract more people,and they might buy something before they go

Joshu

BRoomer
BRoomer
Keep in mind that if it was held at Electronics Boutique, they would more than likely want to take some of the prize money, or take all the entrance fee money and give gift certificates to the winner...so be sure to ask about that first...cause it sucks when they do stuff like that.

Ignatius

List Evader
BRoomer
yeah, we don't want a repeat of Snexus 2.....

and Team Attach On .... itesm I'll decide afterFflame of Bowser, I'll see if I like the no item way from that.

Seven11

Smash Cadet
team attack

now that ya mention it, i think team attack SHOULD be off. otherwise you might get a lot of people grabbing and doing a lot of free falcon punches and warlock punches and the like. but the idea of items is still a little hazy for me. on the one hand, items are a major element of the game and should not be ignored, but, on the other hand, items have a habit of spawning in random places and that could be a serious problem for someone delivering a beating to someone else and have a bob-omb just kind of appear over his head and kill him, so I guess that's up to all of you guys. so, my vote is:
Team Attack: ON
ITEMS: ON
But for the items, you should keep them very limited. such as no health items (tomatoes, heart pieces...), no pokeballs, and no bats. In my personal opinion, i think the only items on should be bob-ombs. They're simple, lethal, and don't cause any other effects other than death on impact.

S

SUPERSAYIN

i talked to the dude at EB again and it turns out its a negative on that, i guess when he found out there was going to be a bunch of "straight" young boys coming he wasnt down anymore, but whatever.
If the dude doesnt come through with the sweet house I found out there are community rooms to rent in the mall and banquet halls all over so if push comes to shove ill charge and extra few dollars for entree and rent one of those which would be even sweeter than before.

jv3x3

Smash Champion
You gotta get things nailed down man... And naw your rules dont work with no items. Many levels are broken without items, so its either your rules with items or mine without (minus poke floats if people want). TA needs be on. Double peach not fun with ta off.

Anyway, tell your buddy ill pay for whatever in the event something happens or is missing from his house if he is worried about that (which means everybody better behave). And find out for sure soon, so people can make plans n all. But mention that i have ran, been 2, and heard about a lot. And there has never been any problems with that (aside from tg, but we wont mention that).

Peace

Edit:
Cah, i was orginally from there... So friends/family. Just gotta be respectful where ever it is.

S

SUPERSAYIN

Things will be nailed down just give me time cause we still have plenty of it, either way its going to be close so the exact location is trivial anyways, but what do you mean some levels are broken up without items, I dont follow.

jv3x3

Smash Champion
Some levels are broken cause characters can just camp the whole time, items force them to move or miss out on getting certain items therein negating the effectiveness of camping (rock on DK, platform on fourside, etc etc)

And i know you are trying to lock down a location, and you say we got time. But until something is setup for sure, theres still the possibility of there being none. Some people need to make travel plans/request work off, and i would feel real bad if they did and there ended up being nothing. So will i know your putting work in and i dont wanna get on you about it, everything needs to be finalized soon (rules and location).

S

SUPERSAYIN

That dude isnt afraid of gettingt hings stolen from his house its just that i dont know if its that reliable of a location which I apologize for mentioning in the first place so have patience young Jv, there is always my house to fall back on, Im just trying to make it luxurious as ****, dont you think a tournament with such fine gentleman attending deserves so, and I know your older than me and you could probably totally kick my *** (debatable) but you sound like a chick dude, and ladies dont like that. . . im only kidding my man (the ladies love that ****). Oh that was very nice of you to offer to pay for anything if it gets stolen, you must be ballin like a scrotum to make such a statement.

Ill throw items in the tournament then because I do love the items, except there will be no Hearts, Tomatoes and Bob-bombs, and they will be set on very low.

Oh yeah, would everyone object to wearing suits to the tournament, cause how cool would that be huh.

jv3x3

Smash Champion
Originally posted by SUPERSAYIN
That dude isnt afraid of gettingt hings stolen from his house its just that i dont know if its that reliable of a location which I apologize for mentioning in the first place so have patience young Jv, there is always my house to fall back on, Im just trying to make it luxurious as ****, dont you think a tournament with such fine gentleman attending deserves so, and I know your older than me and you could probably totally kick my *** (debatable) but you sound like a chick dude, and ladies dont like that. . . im only kidding my man (the ladies love that ****). Oh that was very nice of you to offer to pay for anything if it gets stolen, you must be ballin like a scrotum to make such a statement.

Ill throw items in the tournament then because I do love the items, except there will be no Hearts, Tomatoes and Bob-bombs, and they will be set on very low.

Oh yeah, would everyone object to wearing suits to the tournament, cause how cool would that be huh.
lol, u want people to wear suits and mention "fine gentleman'.... who sounds like the chick now??? Anyways, lol, yeah i know you are working on it, just do what you can to finalize things.

Peace

smasher1001

Smash Journeyman
im fine,items make me so much better,and i like it on low or very low like u have it so,heh,if no one minds,how bout we post how old everyone is,just to see the general age of peops coming

me myself,im 14 and almost 15

Star Wars 13

Smash Apprentice
Why not turn Hammers and Shrooms off too? I mini-anything sucks, and a giant Marth is just scary. Hammers are cheap, I know they can brake, but they usually do not. And I think that the **** Ball, err...Party Ball should be off too.

Why turn Bomb-Ombs off? I know they randomly pop up and **** you up sometimes, but that does not happen a lot.

Ages of everyone? It is okay, no reason to be scared of those bog bad players.

FierceMelee019

Smash Cadet
yo,

Ok, so im a definite go for the tourney, and I'm gonna bringin at least 4 people with me for SURE.

put me down (The Guru) for Doc/Marth/Sheik/Falco

heh

and also put:

Keaton:Capt. Falcon
David:Fox/Falco
Mike:Marth/Falco
Adam:Sheik/Ganondorf

later.

btw, my vote for Team Attack is OFF. but i could deal with it either way.

Top Bottom