• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The -NEW- Florida 2011 Brawl Power Rankings! Updated 5/10/11!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AfroQT

Smash Master
Regarding Red vs Seibrik:
Seibrik has MULTIPLE wins over people that Redhalberd has losses to. Bawal its just ******** to say "WELL THIS COULD OF HAPPENED" no, thats stupid. We aren't looking at what could happen, we are looking at what did happen, an d what did happen, is Red having a lossing record to me, while Seibrik having a winning record. This is also the exact same case regarding HRnut. Seibrik has winning record while halzy has a losing. AND its the case with Masky. The only time that Halberd has a winning record over someone that Seibrik has a losing record to, is mampam, and the head to head (if you understand.) Basically, Seibrik's record is just better, while he did lose the head to head. The head to head would be important if it came to a straight tie, but this is not the case, Seibriks record is just better.

HRNUT:
if you really want we can change me and mvd to being 6/7. Afro 6.7/ MVD, because thats basically what it is, we are literally straight tied. We decided by coinflip for fun, but for the general record, we are pretty tied. To everyone laughing, suck a ****, kthx.

AfroQT

Smash Master
And to everyone who is ****ing foolishly saying that losing to a "random" has more weight and beating a top pr member has "more weight". This is ********, you would be giving a SEVERE handicap to lower ranked AND random players, which is NOT what we are trying to do with the power rankings. Everyone take a moment and take off your "Lets post stupidity" cap, and remember that everyone is being weighed equally. Esam is number 1 simply because well he hasn't lost to ANYONE except Nick Riddle (in terms of win-loss). If we just put more weight on beating number 1 and made beating a random pretty much mean nothing, it would be almost impossible for number 1 to stay number 1, while pretty much heavily favoring randoms and lower ranked players.

OverLade

Smash Hero
Wait... I wasn't aware of this. I was under the impression that beating higher ranked players has ALWAYS counted for more than beating unranked or lower ranked players. It's definitely always been like this. It's just been up to the number 1 player to keep the highest rate of consistency over the rest of the PR...which is how to stay number one. Otherwise it'd basically be whoever attends the most tourneys, because while I have a winning record over MVD and Nick Riddle, I'm only 1-0 vs both of them... This doesn't smell consistent at all now.

AfroQT

Smash Master
Wait... I wasn't aware of this. I was under the impression that beating higher ranked players has ALWAYS counted for more than beating unranked or lower ranked players. It's definitely always been like this. It's just been up to the number 1 player to keep the highest rate of consistency over the rest of the PR...which is how to stay number one. Otherwise it'd basically be whoever attends the most tourneys, because while I have a winning record over MVD and Nick Riddle, I'm only 1-0 vs both of them... This doesn't smell consistent at all now.
No, the way to stay number one is to have the highest rate of consistency, PERIOD. Halzy what you say makes no sense, we are using win-loss records to rate who is more consistent then who, how would that mean whoever attends the most tournaments. If this really was a "who attends more tournaments" pr, then you would probably just see all sfl. Basically, using win-loss, attending more tournaments CAN help you improve your consistency, but it can also...well not. Consistently placing high will get you rated high even if you only attend 4 or 5 tournaments. Consistently placing low will get you rated low even if you attended 20 tournaments. If anything, not attending tournaments would help you, you could only fight a few people a few times, beat them, not attend anymore tournaments and then we would have a problem. So, IF ANYTHING, the current way we are doing this is helpful to the rest of florida (as in, not SFL). If you want though he we can switch it over rofl im down.

OverLade

Smash Hero
I follow your logic... but this is the first time I've heard anything as far as everyone being weighed equally. I worked on the last PR and we def didn't do it that way.

Proxy Geeeee ftw. Another one of Tampa's undercover projects... :troll:

edit:
Matt your avatar is too ****ing manly... Epic chin bumps.

AfroQT

Smash Master
I follow your logic... but this is the first time I've heard anything as far as everyone being weighed equally. I worked on the last PR and we def didn't do it that way.

Proxy Geeeee ftw. Another one of Tampa's undercover projects... :troll:

edit:
Matt your avatar is too ****ing manly... Epic chin bumps.
If everyone isn't weighed equally, then like i said a handicap is given to lower ranked players, and an even bigger handicap is given to randoms. This is unfair...clearly lol.

OverLade

Smash Hero
If everyone isn't weighed equally, then like i said a handicap is given to lower ranked players, and an even bigger handicap is given to randoms. This is unfair...clearly lol.
I don't understand how this is unfair.

If a random player beats number 7, 8 and 9 on the PR and only loses to ranked players, then he will be ranked next period, albeit on the low end of the PR. If an unranked player beats 1, 5 and 6, he'll be ranked on the next PR, probably somewhere closer to the middle. If an unranked player beats 2, 3, 4, 6 and 7 with positive records, he'll likely be 2nd on the next PR.

I don't see how this hurts randoms at all. The idea is that they should be beating PR players anyway... And if they beat higher ranked players than that's not accident. They should be rewarded for it.

MVD

Smash Master
Look how about Afro and I BOTH be number 6 cause we are! It can be 1,2,3,4,5,6,6,8,9,10 Idgaf just give everyone the PROPER credit for what they accomplished

:phone:

B_AWAL

Smash Master
Regarding Red vs Seibrik:

Awal is ********

2 posts of sum good comments
1st off... regardless of "weight" BRik and Red are tied... They both have 4 losing records

SO

We have to go into a tie-breaker

Now look at ANY sport or competition and you will see that if the case of a tie-breaker you gotta pick the team/player that has the better record in a battle/competition between the 2.

I understand Seibrik has more matches but if your looking at who has played more matches against ppl you might as well take CO18 out of the rankings because that ***** has some valid wins but in not that many tourneys. Let alone look back at the time when red went to gigs and mopped the floor with every1 and ended up getting 8th because of it.

I se where your coming from but the first thing thats looked at is the amount of winning and losing records

Brik and Red are Tied

so you look at the 2nd most important thing

the record between the two

Red has it so Red deserves the better placing

Then again I'm just ******** and I guess the rest of the world is ******** because they use this darn near EVERYWHERE

Edit: I LOVE being ********:)

OverLade

Smash Hero
We should have a 3rd person tied for 6th.

Then the PR theme can be the 9 circles of hell plus Satan...

I call Mephistopheles

AfroQT

Smash Master
I don't understand how this is unfair.

If a random player beats number 7, 8 and 9 on the PR and only loses to ranked players, then he will be ranked next period, albeit on the low end of the PR. If an unranked player beats 1, 5 and 6, he'll be ranked on the next PR, probably somewhere closer to the middle. If an unranked player beats 2, 3, 4, 6 and 7 with positive records, he'll likely be 2nd on the next PR.

I don't see how this hurts randoms at all. The idea is that they should be beating PR players anyway... And if they beat higher ranked players than that's not accident. They should be rewarded for it.
When i say handicap, i mean its going to help randoms and lower ranks, i guess i worded that wrong, i mean the opposite of what you are saying. They are going to be rewarded for there victories, but they aren't going to get extra rewards for "well that wasnt what we expected".

OverLade

Smash Hero
Alright so lemme clear this up. You're saying that lower ranked players aren't expected to beat the higher up ranked players, so the only way for them to stay on the PR is to not have unranked losses to keep their spot, which puts them at a huge disadvantage?

AfroQT

Smash Master
1st off... regardless of "weight" BRik and Red are tied... They both have 4 losing records

SO

We have to go into a tie-breaker

Now look at ANY sport or competition and you will see that if the case of a tie-breaker you gotta pick the team/player that has the better record in a battle/competition between the 2.

I understand Seibrik has more matches but if your looking at who has played more matches against ppl you might as well take CO18 out of the rankings because that ***** has some valid wins but in not that many tourneys. Let alone look back at the time when red went to gigs and mopped the floor with every1 and ended up getting 8th because of it.

I se where your coming from but the first thing thats looked at is the amount of winning and losing records

Brik and Red are Tied

so you look at the 2nd most important thing

the record between the two

Red has it so Red deserves the better placing

Then again I'm just ******** and I guess the rest of the world is ******** because they use this darn near EVERYWHERE

Edit: I LOVE being ********:)
Okay let me try to explain this to you.

They both have a losing record to Esam.
Seibrik has win over Hrnut who halberd has a losing record to
Seibrik has a win over masky who halberd has a losing record to
Seibrik has a win over Afro who Halberd has a losing record
Halberd has a win over mampam who Seibrik has a losing record to
Halberd has defeated Seibrik in the head to head.
They both have 4 total losing records

Seibrik has simply performed better against the same people who Halberd lost to. We can't ONLY look at the head to head. We have to look at win-losses regarding specific people and in this case Seibrik simply wins. If they both had the exact same record to the same people, then we would look at the head to head as the tie breaker, but in this case these 2 are simply NOT TIED. I'm sorry, but Seibrik was simply more consistent over the period then Halberd was.

If we compare them to the state of florida, Seibrik was simply -more consistent- then halberd was. Since this is the florida PR...well. WELL

AfroQT

Smash Master
Alright so lemme clear this up. You're saying that lower ranked players aren't expected to beat the higher up ranked players, so the only way for them to stay on the PR is to not have unranked losses to keep their spot, which puts them at a huge disadvantage?
No, i'm saying that NO ONE is expected to beat anyone. There is no expectation, we are simply looking at win-loss rate, to determine who is more consistent. Any time theres anything close to a tie, we look at who lost to who and who beat who regarding specific people (You vs Seibrik is a great example).

If we Do expect higher ranks to always beat lower ranks, and any rank to beat unranks, this gives an advantage to unranks, and an advantage to lower ranks vs higher ranks. You could win against Seibrik and Esam, lose to everyone else in the state, and still be rated high like that (EXTREME example, but try to understand).

OverLade

Smash Hero
No, i'm saying that NO ONE is expected to beat anyone. There is no expectation, we are simply looking at win-loss rate, to determine who is more consistent. Any time theres anything close to a tie, we look at who lost to who and who beat who regarding specific people (You vs Seibrik is a great example).

If we Do expect higher ranks to always beat lower ranks, and any rank to beat unranks, this gives an advantage to unranks, and an advantage to lower ranks vs higher ranks. You could win against Seibrik and Esam, lose to everyone else in the state, and still be rated high like that (EXTREME example, but try to understand).
I think I see where you're coming from, but imo the PR is inherently biased regionally just due to likelyhood of beating people that giving unranked players this advantage keeps the lower end of the PR fluid. Imo there are a number of players that could be in the bottom 5 of the PR that all trade wins/losses with each other occasionally and this keep the bottom from being the 3 next SFL people.

I don't even know I agree with you I'm just spouting bull**** and hoping it formulates into something logical/plausible. You won the argument technically :awesome:

B_AWAL

Smash Master
Okay let me try to explain this to you.

They both have a losing record to Esam.
Seibrik has win over Hrnut who halberd has a losing record to
Seibrik has a win over masky who halberd has a losing record to
Seibrik has a win over Afro who Halberd has a losing record
Halberd has a win over mampam who Seibrik has a losing record to
Halberd has defeated Seibrik in the head to head.

Seibrik has simply performed better against the same people who Halberd lost to. We can't ONLY look at the head to head. We have to look at win-losses regarding specific people and in this case Seibrik simply wins.

If we compare them to the state of florida, Seibrik was simply -more consistent- then halberd was. Since this is the florida PR...well. WELL
*Sigh* & *face palm*

Ok lemme break this down 4 you since your missing the importance of what you just said

They both have a losing record to Esam. - Point 4 No1
Seibrik has win over Hrnut who halberd has a losing record to - Point 4 Brik
Seibrik has a win over masky who halberd has a losing record to - Point 4 Brik
Halberd has a win over mampam who Seibrik has a losing record to - Point 4 Red
Seibrik has a win over Afro who Halberd has a losing record - Point 4 Brik
Halberd has defeated Seibrik in the head to head - Point 4 Red

O wait.. U forgot

Seibrik has a losing record 2 CO18 - Point 4 Red or removed from Brik

so it's still 3-3 or 4-4

THEY ARE TIED

in a tie-breaker U gotta look at who beat who between the 2

Your basically using Inui Logic (Gotta love Inui <3)

saying that since Seibrik beat 2 ppl Red lost 2 that Seibrik is better

I'm saying that

Seibrik beating 2 ppl Red lost 2(That were VERY ACTIVE PLAYERS) < Red beating Seibrik and Brik losing to a random

No offense to Red...

But I would choose to have Seibrik on my side in a crew battle over Red

But the FACT is that Red BEAT SEIBRIK let alone it was NOT THAT LONG AGO

Red beat Seibrik head 2 head

Red deserves # 2

skaterbaj

Smash Lord
I say until everyone is satisfied we change the PR to the "Guess who"Board Game pieces with question marks over each face.

"Can you guess who's spot on the PR?"

Sensei Seibrik

Smash Hero
red's gona be number 2 regardless, apparently if we're counting otronicon matches like mero vs hrnut, despite their agreement not to have them counted, we have to count me throwing the set at pound pools to d-tor when i used ganon to help him advance (which didn't end up working anyway), giving me another random loss and putting halz clearly above me.

I'm willing to accept that hit I guess cause it was an attempt at "Cheating" and "rigging the bracket", and because I love d-tor enough that I don't care, and i'd do it again for anyone in FL at an OOS tourny, save if there's a chance of us getting DQ'd for it (this case there wasn't cuz i cleared the idea with plank before even doing the set)

soooo yeah, if we're counting hrnuts random losses to mero and gallax's to d-who (lol) then im def. gona be gettin third regardless so no more worries, ****s gona be fixed soon.

I'm really glad we were all able to come to some sort of concensus' on things, or at least have multiple intelligent debates, it makes me feel like we have an entire state full of panalists, and I will definately mention that in the updated thread.

VSC.D-Torr

Smash Hero
Thing is I don't even want it to be counted. I beat Seibrik's Ganon. Who gives a ****?

There was no need to bring this up before because both me and Seibrik decided it wasn't serious. If I want something to count, I'd want it to be against his best.

As much as I don't want it to count, if HRNut is going to get punished for his Otronicon loss to Mero, my match has to count too.

VSC.D-Torr

Smash Hero
When Seibrik brought up the idea originally to me, I told him that if it endangers his chance to continue on with the tourney, then I wanted no part of it. I didn't want to risk his shot at placing. Good thing that wasn't the case (however it being unfortunate do to the payout scandal, getting 3rd got nothing).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom