• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The new Roy Strategem discussion

exarch

doot doot doot
Usually not playing Brawl. Location: Enterprise
The only way I know to beat Marth's dtilt is CC. CC grab or dtilt yourself. Beware that if you CC and get tipper dtilted he can usually tipper fsmash you afterward... so shield if you're in poor position. You want to be close enough to him to not get tipper dtilted, since the knockback is that much less, even when CCing.

If he's fsmash spamming bait one and fsmash him back. Since he leans forward when he fsmashes you can actually get the strong hit of yours if you catch him when he's leaning in. Pretty tough and a lot of the time you'll just get your tipper too. Then you just yell "LOL IM MARF TWOO" and it's all good. Also lots of other options if you can bait one out.

If he's spamming dtilt till you jump then fsmashing, mix up fullhops and shorthops. Or triangle jump (lol archaic technique.) Rolling is also not a terrible idea because even though it's not good, it can make marth uncomfortable.

GooeyBanana

Smash Lord
Played a lot of Fox vs. Roy and Luigi tonight.

Fox matchup...try to CC a lot(and end up failing a lot in the process >_<, thanks shine) and make every edgeguard count.

Luigi matchup...if you ever get an opportunity to even just tap him, take that opportunity. Every % counts against this CC'ing douche =(...

darkoblivion12

Smash Lord
Played a lot of Fox vs. Roy and Luigi tonight.

Fox matchup...try to CC a lot(and end up failing a lot in the process >_<, thanks shine) and make every edgeguard count.

Luigi matchup...if you ever get an opportunity to even just tap him, take that opportunity. Every % counts against this CC'ing douche =(...
vs luigi you should probably just switch to marth, really bad matchup.

fox is my hard matchup right now. I'm really good vs falcos though. anything really fast i'm bad against.

GooeyBanana

Smash Lord
Hmm...I'm the opposite way. I get ***** by Falco, but do ok against Fox. Mind you, I just recently picked him up as my low tier main, so I'll be working on the Falco matchup. Just sucks that the Falco I play against is underatedly(yeah, I know, wrong) good with pressure, the Fox I play with used to be one of the most technical of Foxes, and at this point throwing out a lot of hitboxes ruins me xD...doesn't help that he's smart too, and then arguably the Midwest's best Marth >_<...Guess I can't complain though, it's good practice.

And yeah, I actually main Falcon and have no desire to ever play Marth seriously. I don't really enjoy characters that are awkwardly floaty in the top tiers. Ex: Marth, Sheik, Puff(although I play Sheik a lot from time to time...there's a reason it's time to time...I get sick of her movement and then quit playing her xD)

I dunno...I have a huge problem with playing against CC abusers, so I think playing Roy will help me work on that problem ^_^ Plus, his movement is like my favorite in the game. Only gripe I have is suiciding when trying to do a ledgehop wavedash. I mess it up too much =/

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
gooey, why don't you just ask me how to play roy? I'm a phone call away

GooeyBanana

Smash Lord
Because I know mostly what to do I think xP I just gotta work on knowing when people are going to CC, and dealing with pressure. Idk, I guess I also just in general have to work on my spacing + mindgames game because I just feel uber predictable with every character I use, and that's definitely not a good thing when I play as Roy lol. But I'll keep that in mind next time I have any questions =) Thanks for extending a helping hand =D

ruhtraeel

Smash Ace
Wow, I just realized Roy gets ***** by 3/4 of the cast. As a Falco main, I was looking for a fun alt other than Fox to cover some of Falco's harder matchups. I found the fun part, cause it suits me more than Marth, having a quicker SHFFL and less spammy attacks, but I guess I can't use him as a real secondary -_-

Palpi

Smash Hero
Falco is the best character in the game, so just use him...you don't need a secondary...especially if you already secondary fox....personal preference on who to use.

darkoblivion12

Smash Lord
Wow, I just realized Roy gets ***** by 3/4 of the cast. As a Falco main, I was looking for a fun alt other than Fox to cover some of Falco's harder matchups. I found the fun part, cause it suits me more than Marth, having a quicker SHFFL and less spammy attacks, but I guess I can't use him as a real secondary -_-
correction: he gets ***** by 1/4 of the cast and has a slight disadvantage to the rest. but still pretty bad. lol.

darkoblivion12

Smash Lord
What would be the best advice for a falcon and roy matchup?
If the falcon is used to playing marth's it's a good bonus for you as Roy combos differently.

But aside for switching up his **** combo, you want to DD and try to bait his approach. If you're reaction time is good enough, you can sideB away all of his aerials. WD back dtilt ***** nearly all of falcon's approaches. Also falcon gets combod really well, so pay attention to when you can get a grab.

Pi

Smash Hero
yea sideb ***** falcon's approaches lol, it's pretty funny
tech chase him like a boss, get him off the stage, and then he's dead

i was playing my friends falcon last night and got some near miss **** combo's
i was so hype even though they missed

darkoblivion12

Smash Lord
yea sideb ***** falcon's approaches lol, it's pretty funny
tech chase him like a boss, get him off the stage, and then he's dead

i was playing my friends falcon last night and got some near miss **** combo's
i was so hype even though they missed
was playing today, got **** combos. was having a meh day overall, but **** combos tend to be a highlight.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
gonna save my outlook on roy till i fight a peach/samus but so far i'm quite happy with what he can do

you poor delusional fool.

at least you didn't mention ganon. that match up isn't that bad

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
So in addition to d-tilt and DED variations (and grab I guess), jab is one of Roy's best moves.

(Up-smash is pretty amazing too.)

Discuss?

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
up-smash is the ****, I use it all the time now. against spacies at least.

I always use jab after a mis-spaced down-tilt

darkoblivion12

Smash Lord
up smash is an awesome attack. it comes out fairly fast and has a good knockback. also it has fire, and that's all that matters.

Top Bottom