• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The new Roy Strategem discussion

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Up-smash > uair/u-tilt generally. It has good damage, but more importantly, its knockback to recovery ratio is actually good, which is saying a lot for one of Roy's moves. Lol.

Pi

Smash Hero
your telling me
that upsmash
roys upsmash
is good

how much damage does it do, when to use it, when does it kill, why not just nair -> edge guard, or neutral B edge guard, or something, it seems so fickle to me

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
your telling me
that upsmash
roys upsmash
is good

how much damage does it do, when to use it, when does it kill, why not just nair -> edge guard, or neutral B edge guard, or something, it seems so fickle to me
enough, when they have a low shield above you, around 110-140%, because that sucks,

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Roy's nair knocking people offstage is a myth anyway. I'd rather have them above me so I can upsmash them again and again or dash dance into a DED to catch them trying to get back to the ground.

darkoblivion12

Smash Lord
ledgehop nair is pro. also usmash is best when people are above you on a platform or when chainthrowing spacies.

exarch

doot doot doot
Usually not playing Brawl. Location: Enterprise
Upsmash is for comboing FFers.

Falco you can get two upsmashes at 0 into shuffle uair regrab. Fox falls into similar type combos. At middle percents (not sure when... but somewhere), it turns into upsmash fullhop/doublejump uair/fair onto the platform regrab.

And it is pretty good at killing, only a few percentage after dsmash kills, and you don't have the horrible cool down period.

Also, ledgehop counter will always be the best, even when you get killed for it.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
I played dart the other day( best marth in MW). he has a specific marth style that COMPLETELY shuts down roy. its ridiculous how much he destroyed me. in about 7-8 games I never got any closer than taking 2 stocks.

so I had to go marth against him. took me all night but I eventually beat him in marth dittos after copying his playstyle.

roy vs marth 20-80

darkoblivion12

Smash Lord
I played dart the other day( best marth in MW). he has a specific marth style that COMPLETELY shuts down roy. its ridiculous how much he destroyed me. in about 7-8 games I never got any closer than taking 2 stocks.

so I had to go marth against him. took me all night but I eventually beat him in marth dittos after copying his playstyle.

roy vs marth 20-80
it's really like that for a certain style. a lot of marth's don't have that style though, so think about it before you declare that.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
it's really like that for a certain style. a lot of marth's don't have that style though, so think about it before you declare that.
if a marth doesn't have that style then they aren't playing the match up correctly.

there isn't a ratio for playing it wrong vs roy and a ratio for playing it right vs roy

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
^agree

on a related note, **** that 80-20 ish
there's always a way to win, what is it
you're gonna have to find it out. I'm resolved to do marth dittos now

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
tell me how he shut you down, if not here, then pm, or skype or something so i can brainstorm and have my marth friend try out some ****
I'll upload some videos of me playing him. he literally can d-tilt you to death

exarch

doot doot doot
Usually not playing Brawl. Location: Enterprise
I had the pleasure of watching Rip's vs Dart's matches, and I think he did better than 80-20. If nothing else (and there is other options,) you should be able to triangle jump->CC through marth's dtilt. At other ranges CC grabbing marth's dtilt will be better than CC dtilting him back (since it comes out faster.)

Also stop grabbing the ledge against Marth when he's off the stage and you'll be a lot more successful with edgeguards... but I mentioned that to you while I was watching.

Oh and Dart was too scared to play me.
Actually we did the normal "omg we need to get some matches in..." and never played, which is pretty standard/expected. and unfortunate :-/

Marth vs Roy plays surprisingly like Marth dittoes.

ruhtraeel

Smash Ace
Roy vs Ganon isn't that bad, you just gotta space like a mofo

Roy vs Sheik is hell.

Which is why I play Falco as well.

I still gotta get used to comboing with Roy, cause it seems easier if I actually did it properly

Been studying REED videos and stuff

Lol @ u-throw d-tilt combo

Roysourboy666

Smash Apprentice
keep it going guyz!!!
never surrender ! :)
I like to study Roy !
hard work is everything!

As Im not a real pro myself, I tend to do some Dtilt, SH Fair , and alot of Fsmash, DED (alot, and change patterns)sometimes , I counter....but not for edgeguarding, cuz it can miss(am i wrong?) like if you do it against a spacies UP b and it counter while it doesnt really hit falco,( not always but it happened to me)
so I get hit after my failed counter,
I also tend to do the Dair to start a combo, or like others said, up smash is good if not abused.
The only thing I hate is the solution in which it involves PICKING another characters other than roy :(

Keep at it guyz! :p

Jermesque

Smash Apprentice
lol, I was saying I wouldn't full jump with Roy.

You can use Fair twice in one full hop. A rising Fair can lead to another fair against an unexpecting low% floatie, mid % reg faller, or higher % fast faller.

Not necessarily groundbreaking, but it's one more trick to keep in mind.

I've only read up to that point in this thread, so pardon me if I'm repeating anything.

Also, hi, I'm Jermesque, and I've been maining Roy since 2007. But I haven't stayed up to date with Melee for a large chunk of that time, because I live in MI (Read: I suck at Smash).

harriettheguy

Smash Lord
I just want to encourage solid play from Roy players, even though Roy is a gimmick.

I can provide pretty good insight, or you guys can just watch my Roy vids.

Tip:
Flare blade challenges all your opponents aerial walls (with an exception to Ganon (he'll just uair you back out of the hitstun at anything below 114%), Jiggs, Fox, Falco, Sheik or Marth at any percent under 90, good falcons, and good sami).

But I have found it to be quite the deal-breaker against Luigi.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Roy vs Ganon isn't that bad, you just gotta space like a mofo
Do you even know what spacing is? You can't space vs Ganon, he spaces you. The only to beat Ganon with Roy is if you are supremely good at counter-attacking 90% of his attacks, good luck. I don't mean down-B though it should be used sometimes, I mean using an attack to stop another attack.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
Ganon-Roy 90-10.

I never name search and I don't think I would go to smaller tournaments like this anymore.
its not that bad. I almost beat trail's ganon in tournament with roy.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
*Warrior laugh* It's impossible to beat me with Roy. If no one in the world can do it, then doesn't that mean it's an impossible matchup? I can show you just how impossible it is.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Lol, I remember when you said Ganon on Marth was 90-10 in Ganon's favor.

Yet you think Ganon on Roy is the same? xD
When was this 3-4 years ago? lol.. I know Ganon/Marth is slightly Marth advantage because of the edgeguard mainly and the grab game but I still think I can defeat any Marth if played well. Remember, it's Kage vs Marth... not Ganon. As for Roy, Kage vs Roy = impossible. So many tried and fell to their demise. It wasn't even close.

darkoblivion12

Smash Lord
Kage, I don't think you understand the full power of the Roy boards. We will beat ganon, we have fire.

Also in an entirely unrelated note, there's going to be a vid on chain ace's youtube account of me stomping on a random Marth. Will post when it's up.

Эикельманн [РУС]

Banned via Administration
When was this 3-4 years ago? lol.. I know Ganon/Marth is slightly Marth advantage because of the edgeguard mainly and the grab game but I still think I can defeat any Marth if played well. Remember, it's Kage vs Marth... not Ganon. As for Roy, Kage vs Roy = impossible. So many tried and fell to their demise. It wasn't even close.
Actually, it was 2009. So only two years ago.

Top Bottom