• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The new Roy Strategem discussion

Nø Ca$h

Smash Champion
first off my new gamertag is Irony, but u can just call me kurt if u want.

anywhos..... dtilt(or uthrow?) a fox onto platform>empty sh bait to maybe make them miss a tech> thunder to fsmash=ironic steel.im making that combo famous in my name.

im getting ahead of myself lol, im gonna finish my homework and start testing this move!

EDIT: can the barral at the bottom of most dk stages make people tech without damaging them? need to know for testing purposes

TresChikon

Smash Lord
You mean put them in the tumble animation? Then yes.

Chival is rite tho, whenever i shield Roy's fsmash i freak the f*ck out and die

Nø Ca$h

Smash Champion
srry for the hype

falcon- up to 21%
falco- up to 44%
fox- up to 55%

thats non decayed, sweetspotted uair. i might be able to make an equation for thundering. ill see m2ks stats

Nø Ca$h

Smash Champion
decayed sourspots would be ideal. im gonna be thrifty and try to make an equation to figure out if a move can thunder w/o the time consuming testing. these may be inacurate, but i was eager for a rough draft xD.

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
Ironic steel would be amazing if it actually works.
I know tip fair/uair/jab thunders...i've gotten up uair thunders on platform -> charged upsmash before. Haven't tested specifics tho.

Nø Ca$h

Smash Champion
charging an fsmash that would connect would be..... darkrain.... only roy... darkroy?

nah, but i would laugh sooo hard if i thundered into charged fsmash.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
The problem is that floaties are never forced to tech Roy's throws. They can always escape that scenario with up DI. It could work against fast fallers. You just have to know at what percentages fthrow has enough stun to force a tech. At low percents dthrow is better.

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
If you can hit them on the ground with a rising fair it would probly be legit. Hmm, maybe you would have time to shffl a fair on f/bthrow tech chases, but you'd have to be able to set it up so you can abort the fair if they tech away/towards you.

Ima mess around with backthrow -> reverse jab instead of reverse dtilt, see if that could be anything.

Nø Ca$h

Smash Champion
The problem is that floaties are never forced to tech Roy's throws. They can always escape that scenario with up DI. It could work against fast fallers. You just have to know at what percentages fthrow has enough stun to force a tech. At low percents dthrow is better.
you should of had a v8. u cant thunder a floaty anyways lol

and OMG sethlon is back! walk armor dat biotch.

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
Okay, so from what I can tell from testing stuff by myself;

Back throw -> jab thunders seems legit. At low percents it'll hit with the sweetspot and thus not truly thunders, but at 15ish+ it can tip and thunder. Seems like it might be a good way to finish off a chaingrab on the spacies if they're DIing so you can't fsmash them. Might work nicely on non-chaingrabable fast fallers (sheik, falcon, DK, and other roys :colorful:) Might work on marth/similar chars if they're DIing away from the dthrow -> fsmash.
They're usually pretty far away after the jab though, might have to pivot the fsmash to guarantee the sweetspot.
Jab tip will stop thunders'ing at around 120ish, but the bthrow will probly start sending them too far away at about 80%.

You CAN hit a grounded character with rising fair, so fthrow -> running fair thunders seems like it will definitely work if they don't tech.
Fair tip seems like it stops thunders'ing at about 45%.

Nø Ca$h

Smash Champion
im adding u on aim seth, whether u care or not lol.

and the name thunders no longer applies. thunders is now referred to as irony.

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
Fine by me :) I'm not often on Aim nowadays though, since my comp is kaput =/ I'm actually on my sister's right now.

falcon- up to 21%
falco- up to 44%
fox- up to 55%
thats non decayed, sweetspotted uair. i might be able to make an equation for thundering. ill see m2ks stats
Are you sure about this?? I'm messing with it right now and sweetspotted uair is knocking falco into the air at 10%.

Tipped uair is working fine though, and you can full hop it to land on the platform in plenty of time to fsmash/grab. Getting it to tip might take some practice, but it would be a nice addition to plank-****.
Fullhopped sweetspotted uair seems like it might combo into grab.

Nø Ca$h

Smash Champion
im not entirely sure lol, i most likely accidently tipped it or something. i still think an equation should be made. i never thought i would see the day when algebra would help melee.

Rain(ame)

Smash Champion
Yeah...I can see why, though. Discussion of Roy that we want to keep free from *********** and needless prattle. It'd be more of a directory for important things about Roy. With Melee changing....we should just make strides forward.

Nø Ca$h

Smash Champion
this is actually a somewhat active and productive discussion we have going here :). hopefully, it doesnt die like the other stickies. im doing everything i can for the community,but between school and moving, its hard >.<

but to complement roys irony game, what moves might cause unexpected missed techs? DED meteor might...

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
this is actually a somewhat active and productive discussion we have going here :). hopefully, it doesnt die like the other stickies. im doing everything i can for the community,but between school and moving, its hard >.<

but to complement roys irony game, what moves might cause unexpected missed techs? DED meteor might...
You could catch a fastfaller offguard with dtilt > SH dair meteor > thunders jab reset > charged fsmash. LOOOOL

Nø Ca$h

Smash Champion
You could catch a fastfaller offguard with dtilt > SH dair meteor > thunders jab reset > charged fsmash. LOOOOL
sounds kindof legit. if they di out of range, maybe empty SHFF? or SH single hit nair to slightly alter timing of tech?

edit: nvm about nair. just realized it doesnt have enough hit stun.

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
DED spike has too much lag to be able to thunders out of it, I believe. Dtilt -> spike -> jab thunders might work, but spacing the jab would probly be a pain, and in that situation it might be better to just dtilt -> chain grab for the guaranteed damage.

Nø Ca$h

Smash Champion
i thought i made myself clear when i said thunders is now irony lol jk

edit:oh wow. jab thunders at pretty high%. at higher%, it pushes them pretty far away. out of fsmash range.

Nø Ca$h

Smash Champion
please excuse this double post.

i came up with a new shield pressure tactic. well i didnt make it up, but it could be applied as shield pressure.

u know how some links(the good ones) full hop double nairs for shield pressure? he puts out the first nair as he rises and puts out the second nair when hes at shield lv.
how about roy does this, only with double fairs? the first fair hits the top of the shield, or shield pokes, and the second one whittles the shield down more(assuming no shield poke).

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Link's nair is a sex kick. Not so with Roy's fair. You can kind of get away with delayed falling fair to rising fair as long as you space it. Usually it's better to just pressure with spaced dtilts, though, isn't it?

D

Deleted member

roy's best pressure game IMO stems from maximum length dtilt, side B, or fast grabs. In general, staying out of the air is a good idea for most low tier characters.

Nø Ca$h

Smash Champion
now that i think of it a little more... roy can be gayed OoS cause lack of shield stun.

and thank you so much for understanding my dp umbreon. i try not to do it often, but i usually have a good excuse.

AprilShaw

aka Logan
Normally if I can't get behind their shield I do single hit n-air to grab or just grab or just move so I'm just in range to f-air lol.

I don't like shield pressuring with Roy, I'm bad at it :(

Nø Ca$h

Smash Champion
cactus taught me this approach movement w/ marth.

ok. wd back, then run forward. if done correctly, it stalls the momentum, but the animation is the same. good approach tactic if u ask me.

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
Pulse walking is just running around and wding down iirc. lol.

Regardless, it's just another technique that pressures people into doing things that let you punish them.

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
Got to play in tournament last weekend. Back throw -> jab vs spacies seems pretty nice...at low-mid % the jab won't knock them on to their feet if it sweetspots, so if you've spacing is a little off and you don't get the tip thunders you still get a free tech chase. Probly fast enough that if you straight whiff the jab (out of bad spacing/DI or they tech) you still have time to tech chase.

D

Deleted member

I use downthrow turn dtilt ala m2k marth, where if they tech in place or don't tech, free combo. if they tech behind, turn around regrab and do it again. if they tech away, WD out of dtilt into dash side B cause they can't crouch yet, free side B combo. if they DI away on the throw or dtilt, just chase with side B for the same reason. Excellent trap option all around, and works on sheik/falcon as well but to a lesser degree.

Top Bottom