• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The new Roy Strategem discussion

D

Deleted member

habit mostly. you of all people should know that I play on no scientific basis. it's just something that I do, but then so is the whole strategy.

Magus420

Smash Master
Probably known already, but if for some reason you happen to be playing against G&W or Pichu on YS a d-tilt to reverse up-b is a legit death combo anywhere on the stage from 0-50ish. It's pretty hilarious xD

Virusbluemage

Banned via Warnings
I'm not sure if people know this already. But people may think that after dtilting you have an extreme lag afterwards, I'm sure you've been in a position where your opponents jumps or rolls away from your dtilt, and you try to block but they hit you anyways. Well it turns out that for whatever reason you can't shield out of your dtilt until the entire animation is done, but you can roll, jump, DED even wavedash out of it so really the move has hardly any lag.

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
Its already known, Virus. For some reason dtilt just can't be IASA'd with shield.
The solution? Just hold forward a bit when you start to hold shield. Roy will start to step forward in the IASA frames and then immediately shield.

AnDaLe

Smash Champion
oh wow, that would've helped when i started maining roy lol

Lovage

Smash Hero
phanna made a video about that after genesis.

after random spiking with counter, every hit will "spike" the character until they touch the ground. try getting a random counter spike and then hitting that character with fox's drill LOL

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
Thats an awesome piece of information. I can see that being incredibly useful to know in teams play. Though, why you'd use Roy for that purpose is completely beyond me.

m&m1992

Smash Cadet
it´s soo unfair for roy to make his areals sooooooooo weak!!!
every character can jump so early after getting hit
his forwardsmash is much slower than marth´s
even his side b moves have sweetspots
his dair has such a gay sweetspot
and the recoverytimes are too big

when there is someone, who thinks about playing roy, he should try marth first, cause he´s better in every case!

Rin10-10

Smash Ace
So I've got a hypothetical situation for you more experienced/more intellectual Roy players.
Don't think it's been addressed - saw some things on throws in general, but I've got a specific case.

I'm playing a campy falco on stadium, and I've managed to chase him out from under his platform towards the edge of the stage. I get him with a dtilt around 60%, and he opts not to DI back towards his platform (probably because I've chased him there with Nair the past two times this as happened). So now I've got a falco, suspended in midair. A short hopped nair would probably be the safest option, but I'm feeling flashy, so I dash dance and grab him out of his stun.

So I wind up facing the edge, falco around 70%, and I'm thinking maybe I'll get an easy gimp out of this. Of course, I opt for an uthrow so I can try and nair him over the edge (what was I thinking!?) and of course, he hard DIs back to the center of the stage. I pitch a flareblade at him, and miss, and suddenly I'm back to square one, only now he's realizes I'm trying to shuttle him over the edge. The match goes downhill from there.

But from that setup, I could have done anything. I could have fthrown him over the edge, dash danced the other direction and bthrown him over the edge, or even opted for the safe nair. What's the best option? Nair puts him too high to try and goad a counter-able up-b for a quick and easy gimp, and I'm thinking fthrow would just bounce him up at me again, where I get illusioned before I can move again. I don't even know how bthrow would act when there's now ground below the throwee ...

Any thoughts?

tl;dr - 'Holding a fast-faller by the ledge. Which way do I throw him?'

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Throw him off the stage. He'll probably DI in if you fthrow, so fsmash might combo. If he doesn't input survival DI, he'll probably not be able to make it back to the stage with his double jump and he'll be forced to side-b into your charged flareblade.

The Tusk

Smash Cadet
Fthrow, crouch, interrupt his jump or forward b with a d-tilt (the forward b interruption would take awesome timing), fsmash. I love popping opponents up from off the edge with d-tilt, especially fast-fallers.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
why didn't you just F-smash after the d-tilt?

it would have killed

Rin10-10

Smash Ace
why didn't you just F-smash after the d-tilt?

it would have killed
Y'know ... sometimes the simplest solutions completely escape me.
Still, f-throw does seem like the best option once I've already buggered up the sane ideas.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
don't listen to these scrubs rin 10-10.

keep pummeling and grab release.

btw hoping I can go to the VGbootcamp tournament . prove my roy there

AnDaLe

Smash Champion
wait Ripple, ur going to VGbootcamp instead of Angry Shinobi Assassin? Luke said u guys were trying to go to Angry Shinobi Assassin. <.<

*and i don't even know why i'm subscribed to this.... I dropped Roy ages ago.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
wait Ripple, ur going to VGbootcamp instead of Angry Shinobi Assassin? Luke said u guys were trying to go to Angry Shinobi Assassin. <.<

nope, not anymore. I'm not going to either. I sware you guys always think I'm driving to every tournament.

Rin10-10

Smash Ace
You're just following me around, I guess.
Haha ... didn't you randomly show up in the purdue thread, too?

nope, not anymore. I'm not going to either. I sware you guys always think I'm driving to every tournament.
Aww ... not goin' to either? And here I was hopin' to see some Roy pwnage.

AnDaLe

Smash Champion
You're just following me around, I guess.
Haha ... didn't you randomly show up in the purdue thread, too?
wth? i think ur following me! lol yea, i was subscribed to that thread too, can't remember why. think it was because there was a tourney, then they never had it or i missed it >.<

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
Yeah you're right man. Totally.

I LOVE HAMBURGERS

Haxors

Eljin

Smash Ace
although not a real roy main... i love his playstyle. I've been playing a friend of mine (who plays ganon) alot nd although im not even that good with roy (considering i've lost so many matches)he complains to me when im up 4 stock to 2 he say "so you have 2 grab 2 win". I reply "well its getting me ahead".

correct me if im wrong but isnt that a main component 2 roys game... the combo's he could possibly start off from a grab??? i dont want 2 think i was a heartless ******* while vs him. In the end i did come out on top... let me know if I was wrong 4 what i did.

Top Bottom