• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The New Super Awesome Oregon Home Thread!!! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
you guys should advertise BB better in the first post. this guy PMd me saying he looked at this thread and couldnt find anything in state and only found NWM. just a heads up

Purpletuce

Smash Lord
Hello, I am the one Silent Wolf was talking about, I saw the BB link at first and checked their calendar, finding that they only had Brawl days, but I looked again, and their site doesnt say anything Melee specific, but that I can bring whatever game I chose. Is Melee usually played there? Also, if you are in Corvallis or anywhere nearby, send me a message I'm looking for friendlies (Melee) :D

FoosJr

Smash Ace
Melee actually turned into the more popular game recently every wednesday we get together at bestbout and play for a 5 dollar venue fee. Also every third saturday of the month there's a smash tournament for both brawl and melee. I'm pretty sure there's people in corvallis that get together every friday look for alienallen on these forums he's the most active between these forums and corvallis.

:phone:

keeper

Smash Champion
For a Brawl compilation video, I actually think this one's pretty good:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xhXwtH0C4A
Oh hey, I know Mr. R. We both used to be a part of the same clan.

So the new detector is an amazing unit, but it costs 200 gas, so you are forced to make one every game no matter what now to stop dts or banshees which will become even stronger and even more annoying.

Overseers right now are pretty good because they cost 50 gas and enable you to get some good scout timings in certain match ups, I really hope they don't cut the overseer and instead make the other units detector ability more interesting/different.

I'm wondering about the swarm host, it's either going to be amazing or terrible.
Spore crawlers are pretty good. The swarm host will have its roll, as much I don't like the design. =\
[hr]
Not sure if I'll go to Best Bout today. My wrist hurts really bad right now and my ganglion cyst on it is super swollen (not really tmi since you can't see it unless I bend my wrist really far, if anyone ever wants to see it).

Izayah

Smash Journeyman
Hello, I am the one Silent Wolf was talking about, I saw the BB link at first and checked their calendar, finding that they only had Brawl days, but I looked again, and their site doesnt say anything Melee specific, but that I can bring whatever game I chose. Is Melee usually played there? Also, if you are in Corvallis or anywhere nearby, send me a message I'm looking for friendlies (Melee) :D
Their website is actually not even updated for pretty much ANYTHING due to there being only 1 person running it right now.

Binx

Smash Master
Spore crawlers are fine defensively but I dont really like that I have to pay 200 gas for detection before I can attack, especially since you supposedly can only use it's ability one time, and it marks the unit as a detector. Phoenix dt, or blink stalker dt is going to be really annoying, I guess I can just always go infestor for detection lol

Ling infestor with 3 vipers to take out collosus would be really good vs toss I think, fungal growth large groups of stalkers, then reduce their range to 1, OR if they went collosus just pull em out of the army, fungal their units as they try to come save it and retreat, I would make that trade all day.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Yeah, I know, but they still look and sound awesome.
The black shirt is better imo, even if red is my favorite color.

On the note of HotS, I was thinking about how awesome Raptorlings are going to be in the campaign and how much Swarm Hosts are actually going to probably suck in ZvZ. Also, **** Swarm Hosts and **** my trypophobia.

Arguably the other races are getting better options for dealing with Mutas (Tempest and Warhound) and Hydras are getting Muscular Augments back on Hive tech. Though I think the specification is that they move the same speed off creep as they do on creep, which is the speed of a zergling without metabolic boost.

I'm not going tonight, the weather is too ****ty for me to want to walk to my bus, wait downtown, then walk home from the bus at 10-11 pm. :x
Hey Keeper:

never mind lol

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Not going to lie, I was about to close that off and not watch it since it was a set that involved both Peach and Pokemon Trainer. XD

Fortunately both the players looked like they knew their stuff so I decided to keep watching and I have to say I was impressed. Obviously the Trainer player really liked Squirtle and he pulled off a very impressive comeback in the third game of Set 2.

keeper

Smash Champion
I'm glad it isn't snowing in Oregon yet. Some places are getting alot

cut the image for space lol
It would have snowed by now if it were to actually snow here. I'm disappointed, I love the snow (probably from having lived here all my life and rarely getting it, but you're from Alaska so yeah).

Ratking1234

Smash Ace
I tried my very very best to let myself be impressed with that brawl video, but in the end I always feel the same. **** looks boring as **** goddamn **** ****
Not gonna lie, 1:02 and the end of the first match looks moderately impressive from PT. However I have played brawl less times than I can count on 1 hand, so I dunno how impressive anything really is. Regardless, it looks ****ing cool.

Also, Charizard is a ballwer in project M.

debaser

Smash Lord
It snows when it's cold outside.

This makes sense because snow is made of ice crystals.

Ice turns back into regular water when it's warm outside.

Binx

Smash Master
Thanks for the Sheik tips foos, helped a lot last night, also I was using some of the tips you were shouting out during crews last BB i went to before this one. They got me a lot of good punishes so thanks again!

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Not gonna lie, 1:02 and the end of the first match looks moderately impressive from PT. However I have played brawl less times than I can count on 1 hand, so I dunno how impressive anything really is. Regardless, it looks ****ing cool.

Also, Charizard is a ballwer in project M.

It's called "Hydroplaning" iirc, Squirtle can actually do any move he wants while sliding (it basically is like the waaaay easier version of the super wavedash that samus does, you basically just use his turn skid animation when he tucks in, then you cancel it with a tilt on the analog in the opposite direction and input a move). Squirtle is cool in this game though, I sorta wish he was in Melee, he'd be soooooo combo friendly (like a jigglypuff w/ a significantly better ground game but a worse recovery).

And yes, Zard is awesome in P:M. I saw a video of Gimpy's, and Silent Wolf's Lucario looks pretty cool too in the game.

keeper

Smash Champion
It's called "Hydroplaning" iirc, Squirtle can actually do any move he wants while sliding (it basically is like the waaaay easier version of the super wavedash that samus does, you basically just use his turn skid animation when he tucks in, then you cancel it with a tilt on the analog in the opposite direction and input a move). Squirtle is cool in this game though, I sorta wish he was in Melee, he'd be soooooo combo friendly (like a jigglypuff w/ a significantly better ground game but a worse recovery).

And yes, Zard is awesome in P:M. I saw a video of Gimpy's, and Silent Wolf's Lucario looks pretty cool too in the game.
Squirtle and Charizard are who I used most in P:M. I kind of ended up getting Charizard nerfed because who I was playing with (Shadic, he lurks sometimes), is a dev for it and I kind of ztd'd him multiple times with Charizard. Playing Charizard is like playing a Marth that doesn't die as quickly and has two jumps.

That Brawl video was impressive, especially the three stock in game 2.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
I love the "Seismic Toss" they put in the game.

btw, I'm probably the only guy who thinks this, but ZSS in P:M looks kinda boring imo, she basically does almost the same stuff she does in Brawl, except everything combos instead of frame traps, and more usmash.

FoosJr

Smash Ace
Thanks for the Sheik tips foos, helped a lot last night, also I was using some of the tips you were shouting out during crews last BB i went to before this one. They got me a lot of good punishes so thanks again!
np man anything i can do to help.

indigestible_wad

Smash Lord
It snows when it's cold outside.

This makes sense because snow is made of ice crystals.

Ice turns back into regular water when it's warm outside.

In my experience clear skies happen when it's cold outside, due to the fact that clouds provide a greenhouse layer. We only get snow when alaska sends us their wonderful winter air.

Ratking1234

Smash Ace

Can you explain to me what makes PT so bad in Brawl? I have like zero understanding of this game, but there's a lot of characters that from what I have seen or understand, seem like they should be really good on paper, but blow *** on the tier list. Or I guess they look or seem really good to me coming from a melee standpoint.

Binx

Smash Master
Most characters in brawl that look good from a melee standpoint dont have good kill moves. There aren't really relyable gimps for most characters since the game auto sweetspots, and if you can't kill characters until 250% it doesnt matter if you are fast.

Even characters like Falco who are impossible to hit and have a good projectile and such still have to get their opponent to like 250% and ftilt for the kill because the game is so slow all your kill moves are telegraphed and you can't hit with them unless your opponents make HUGE mistakes. That's why I never got into the game.

indigestible_wad

Smash Lord
Eh, it's more like 150-200 depending on the matchup. Anything past that point will die easy to the most kill moves. Although there are circumstances where you get extremely lucky and survive into the 300s. But yeah, you have to mindgame the kill to get it rather than be given an opportunity. Or time it insanely well after a dodge.

Peach Masta

Smash Lord
PT has a pretty big issue with stamina or whatever it's called. If your pokemon is out too long before switching pokemon, they get super weak and can't kill at all. Plus Ivysaur is super bad and can't really do much. I think PT isn't really that bad of a character. He just isn't represented that much. I big thing in Brawl that makes characters good is their out of shield options. Not their combo potential or kill potential

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
PT has a pretty big issue with stamina or whatever it's called. If your pokemon is out too long before switching pokemon, they get super weak and can't kill at all. Plus Ivysaur is super bad and can't really do much. I think PT isn't really that bad of a character. He just isn't represented that much. I big thing in Brawl that makes characters good is their out of shield options. Not their combo potential or kill potential
This

basically, squirtle has good comboability, actually pretty good kill moves (dthrow kills most reliably at about 110%, and usmash has huge range and kills pretty well too), and whatnot. But he has three main weaknesses. One is his relatively poor recovery options (his upB has like Melee ledge snap range lol, and only two jumps), he's held down by the other two usually (and stamina basically means if you camp squirtle, he'll suck at killing after 1-2 minutes, and it forces him to switch pokemon which is a reeeeeaaaaally laggy process), and in several MUs he has some really gay grab release stuff done to him, Marth can basically walk him across w/ it, and Ike can do an air release CG -> fair/dair off the edge (some other characters get some similar stuff iirc).

Most people say if Squirtle was alone, he'd arguably be high/mid-high tier.

Most characters in brawl that look good from a melee standpoint dont have good kill moves. There aren't really relyable gimps for most characters since the game auto sweetspots, and if you can't kill characters until 250% it doesnt matter if you are fast.

Even characters like Falco who are impossible to hit and have a good projectile and such still have to get their opponent to like 250% and ftilt for the kill because the game is so slow all your kill moves are telegraphed and you can't hit with them unless your opponents make HUGE mistakes. That's why I never got into the game.

Yeah, I can agree with that, although falco's not too bad at killing tbh (he's not amazing since it's mostly all hard reads required, but he can leverage a lot into good situations), you'll see people go for the late utilt kill b/c it's safer than going for the usmash/bair/uair kill. I think also one of the main reasons a lot of the low/mid tiers are bad is Brawl's decay system. Most characters with a good anti-spacing/punisher in the game also tend to be their only decent kill move (Samus fsmash/dtilt, Mario fsmash, Pit fsmash/Bair, sheik usmash, Peach fair), and it requires them to either keep it fresh to make it kill later, or to use it in some MUs in order to maintain some semblance of a threat (although more have been finding other ways to compensate). I think if several chars like Peach (she really, really suffers from this, her only other good kill move is a tipped usmash, which is super hard to land) were to not have staling, they would do a little better.

keeper

Smash Champion
Yeah, it's if the same one is out for more than two minutes. You can't just keep changing them to refresh them either for whatever reason. Squirtle is the one character that looks super good on paper, but is really hard to kill with overall. Ivysaur's recovery is garbage since the tethers in brawl don't work like Link's grapple in Melee at all.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
lol, conversely, Brawl's developers really wanted people to use Zelda/Sheik in tandem, at least imo. They nerfed sheik a lot, and made it so that switching through respawn invincibility doesn't have any vulnerability (unlike w/ PT since he takes forever to switch), and transforming refreshes all your moves for either char. Problem is, Zelda's still really bad lol.

I actually think Brawl sheik could be a little higher, but her bigger problems is she is extremely vulnerable to getting death CG'd (She avoids D3's, but she basically dies from one grab v. Pika and ICs), and her recovery is horrible now :\ I think her chip game and punishing ability, tilt lock, and mobility could make her more of a solid mid-tier (plus she's the only one that I've seen where Brawl's more obscure ATs like true pivot/naritake step and auto canceled fair work for her).

Yeah, it's if the same one is out for more than two minutes. You can't just keep changing them to refresh them either for whatever reason. Squirtle is the one character that looks super good on paper, but is really hard to kill with overall. Ivysaur's recovery is garbage since the tethers in brawl don't work like Link's grapple in Melee at all.
haha, tethers are pretty sad in this game. Sadly, Olimar hasn't been stopped so much by this like he used to, because he can whistle through your edge guard and have enough time to punish you :(

btw, anyone else watching the Apex livestream? It's kinda sad seeing these huge skill gaps, must be pretty bad to have a pool w/ Armada/M2K lol

I loved Azen's marth, although you can tell he was being very conservative, which imo isn't a bad idea w/ marth since he takes up a lot of space in 2v2. Lots of good spacing and nairs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom