• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The New Super Awesome Oregon Home Thread!!! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peach Masta

Smash Lord
Hmm alright I'll get on that. Thanks Backsmack. Also, if you're in the smash scene now. Get that Halo reference out of here and change it to Backsmash

twilit_dragon

Smash Apprentice
****, I didn't know the store was so huge.

Sucks that I probably won't have money to go. Heck, I might even be in CA during that time.

5backsmack

Smash Cadet
Are we gunna have the store for the whole day cuz Im looking to just get a ton of experience playing in and out of tournament so will there be time afterward to just play? And yeah the store is huge. We will have more than enough space for the tournament considering for halo we had 16 TV's and xboxs and it fit ok. Also If equipment is needed I can bring stuff, but I have an HDTV with <5ms response time that I play on and it seems like you only use tubes for smash. If thats the case then I dont have a good TV I can bring.

debaser

Smash Lord
^^^ who cares. lets look at reality.

point A: theres a 20 percent chance that more than 0 oregonians are going to that bc tournament.

point B: washington wouldn't come. OH NO. now, actual people from oregon would get top 3 AND all of the entrants would arrive before 2 pm.

Vulcan55

Smash Lord
That's absolutely the wrong way to look at things.
Conflicting dates and near dates shaft attendance from one or both tournies no matter what.

Grunt

Smash Master
point B: washington wouldn't come. OH NO. now, actual people from oregon would get top 3 AND all of the entrants would arrive before 2 pm.
like STS2!
wasn't top four some order of viviff timmy, zodiac and Deba-
oh wait, i get it now.

twilit_dragon

Smash Apprentice
^ LOL.

To add to the tag team, the reason we don't get top 3 is entirely our faults for sucking so much. So uhhhh yeah. Stop sucking Oregon....

keeper

Smash Champion
Are we gunna have the store for the whole day cuz Im looking to just get a ton of experience playing in and out of tournament so will there be time afterward to just play? And yeah the store is huge. We will have more than enough space for the tournament considering for halo we had 16 TV's and xboxs and it fit ok. Also If equipment is needed I can bring stuff, but I have an HDTV with <5ms response time that I play on and it seems like you only use tubes for smash. If thats the case then I dont have a good TV I can bring.
Yeah, tube TVs only. No smash player likes any lag at all ever and will complain endlessly (including myself).

^ LOL.

To add to the tag team, the reason we don't get top 3 is entirely our faults for sucking so much. So uhhhh yeah. Stop sucking Oregon....
I take offense to this. I try really hard and it gets to me a lot (see: I get pissed when I lose) and I'm sure a lot of other players try just as hard and are more grown up than me to suck it up when they lose.

Kami-V

Smash Journeyman
I take offense to this. I try really hard and it gets to me a lot (see: I get pissed when I lose) and I'm sure a lot of other players try just as hard and are more grown up than me to suck it up when they lose.
I am the same way. I try very hard, NEVER sandbag, watch videos religiously, practice tech when I need to, focus on my bad match ups, and its disheartening and frustrating when I still get stomped. I normally keep really cool and just have fun, but last tournament I just about blew it.

I feel like I have come a LONG way in the 4 years I've been in competitive smash though.

debaser

Smash Lord
word to above two posts.

and grunt, I was thinking of npm II. It had all oregon/vancouver melee entrants and it *****. The skill gradient there was much smaller than most tournaments and that's a much more encouraging environment for learning players. sts2 was a sucky tournament for melee.

keeper

Smash Champion
I want to play Loop in a massive amount of friendlies some day.

As most of you probably know, I have an incredibly short fuse when trying super hard. When I get mad, it's rarely at the actual person (though sometimes at their attitude, if I lost to Mango (while being about his level, aka Hbox) and he acted like a smug ***, I'd want to hurt him) and more so at myself for feeling incompetent or not meeting my expectations.

I really want to win a tournament of at least a 16 man bracket some time, ideally without ever going to losers'. Then slowly go from there... I know I can play incredibly well and I know what to do. I think I often just over think and pull a LuninSpectra or something. >.<;

twilit_dragon

Smash Apprentice
^ I like how you need to exclude like the most common WA attenders for OR players to stand a chance at winning. Doesn't that kind of prove my statement?

....Also, haters gonna hate. <_< >_>

Cactuarz

Smash Ace
o.o you guys are going about it all wrong. I rather ENJOY getting dominated into the ground. I've learned so much by just jumping into a smash scene that's more evolved and it got me way better. I'd go to scotu's place and get 2-4 stocked by every person there until I got better where i'd only get 1-2 stocked. I'd be dissapointed if I won a tourney, because I wouldn't get nearly as much useful experience as if I placed in the middle and had a lot of things and people to learn from.

I understand having an ENORMOUS gap between players (i.e. me vs drephen x.x) can be a bit frustrating but you have to take each loss as a lesson as to what you're doing wrong. I don't like playing most of the people in my hometown just because I never lose, I'd be envious to go to another tournament where I can get crushed...

indigestible_wad

Smash Lord
Ah yes, I remember when I felt happy to just get two stocks off a person. I still have a similar attitude, but I've never enjoyed being dominated simply because it's so deflating. I like it better when there are people that are better than me so I feel I need to improve, but not so hugely overpowering that I feel like I can't do anything. And then because I lost I have to switch out. That part is really irritating because then you can't practice and improve as fast.

Losing a lot is more enjoyable than winning a lot, but I don't like it to be hugely one-sided.

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
Hello smashers!

I've been tasked to inform everyone about a regional/national Super Smash Bros. Brawl tourney happening in Utah!

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=263780

It is happening the last weekend of May. For more information, look in the OP of the thread. Post in there if you have any questions regarding rides, fees, housing, or anything else regarding the tourney.

We hope to see you there!

Kami-V

Smash Journeyman
^ Positive attitude ftw.

Besides, fun > winning. Haven't you guys learned a thing from Isai yet?
Don't get hit.

Really though, I just don't like being behind. I just feel like after 4 years I should be placing better, and I still don't because players like eggz and silent wolf still continue to 2-3 stock me. Its half the reason I switched mains; I didn't think Samus could compete against the extremely fast and technical washington players.

I don't mind losing, I really don't, it makes me better. I just don't like losing to players who I don't think I should have lost to. I know Shane will probably be kicking my *** for a while, but I still think that I personally can do better than to get rocked every time.

twilit_dragon

Smash Apprentice
A thing that might be true however is that you don't ask them what you were doing wrong. Perhaps your Samus was overtly obvious in what is was going to do next (like if I do an aerial on you, and you shield, I know like a lot of the time you'll upb out of shield, so I pillar to keep you on your toes). Self diagnosing yourself to why you can't beat Shane or Jesse is like self diagnosing yourself with cancer. It's just too complex to figure out yourself. A lack of skill compared to them may be obvious, but obviously your mindset wasn't working as well either.

So in other words, play the big players and get their feedback as to why they could beat you. It might not be your character that's lacking, it could be you, as irritating as that may sound. No I'm not saying you're bad, cause you're not, I'm just saying you might be using the wrong tricks in match or the wrong strategies at the wrong times. Some thing to know are that Samus has suuuuuper obvious recovery. Unless you sweetgrab the ledge, Falco for example will have a very fun time just doing dropzone jump dair at the right time.

....Also I eventually just adopted the attitude that no one likes to lose to a **** like me :3

Kami-V

Smash Journeyman
I ask for advice a lot. I don't always get advice (probably because its not really something thats easy to give), but I ask for it. I am well aware that I am the problem, not Samus; its just that playing Samus is not helping this problem. I'm not dropping Samus, I just want to play a character with a lot better match ups all around and do well with that, then maybe go back to Samus. Samus was just pissing me off as well... hitting a jump, on accident or on purpose, still sticks me in the air for like 3 seconds. Not to mention a terrible grab, which means a lot.

I know I'm the problem, I'm just upset with it being me, and because I want to fix this problem, I've decided that perhaps going to greener pastures (better characters) can help it. I know I'm not the only person who has done this either.

keeper

Smash Champion
I usually know what I do wrong, which is half the reason I get mad at myself. I know what I'm doing wrong yet I still do it.

Kami, if you want any of my silly Sheik knowledge/experience, I'd be willing to offer it. The best advice I give is usually me saying what you're doing wrong as you do it against me or someone else though, which isn't always exactly helpful.

Edit: Oregon gRAPE.

twilit_dragon

Smash Apprentice
True Brandon, you are not the only one. I am always available to teach, and whenever we meet, just let me know beforehand, and I'd be perfectly fine with analyzing our matches and telling you what you're doing right or wrong, as well as give you some suggestions. Evan's more knowledgeable on sheik than I am probably, but I've seconded almost like every character and have tested a lot of things in the game, so I'm a good guy to go to if you need knowledge on a lot of general things, as well as specific character tricks. Not saying that I'm the only one though, a lot of us here are pretty smart. I'm just saying that if you need someone, I'm available :\

Kami-V

Smash Journeyman
I usually know what I do wrong, which is half the reason I get mad at myself. I know what I'm doing wrong yet I still do it.

Kami, if you want any of my silly Sheik knowledge/experience, I'd be willing to offer it. The best advice I give is usually me saying what you're doing wrong as you do it against me or someone else though, which isn't always exactly helpful.

Teach me to fight Peaches (with Shiek or even Samus for that matter) and I'll be happy.

Thanks for all the help guys. I need to play soon but my new life of working and school 10-12 hours a day while pretending I'm happy might prevent that from happening for a bit.

Kami-V

Smash Journeyman

Teach me to fight Peaches (with Shiek or even Samus for that matter) and I'll be happy.

Thanks for all the help guys. I need to play soon but my new life of working and school 10-12 hours a day while pretending I'm happy might prevent that from happening for a bit.

edit: I too normally know what I do wrong, especially with Samus. With Shiek, not so much. That too is usually why I get angry.

Peach Masta

Smash Lord
Were you commenting to me when I said I would team with Keeper if any of those people weren't there? Also, It's not like WA comes in and gives us a super ****. It's been forever since I haven't placed 1st or at least top 3 in a doubles tournament. Jesse also places top 3 pretty frequently in singles.

Also, Fun=Winning....just throwing that out there.

Kami-V

Smash Journeyman
Were you commenting to me when I said I would team with Keeper if any of those people weren't there? Also, It's not like WA comes in and gives us a super ****. It's been forever since I haven't placed 1st or at least top 3 in a doubles tournament. Jesse also places top 3 pretty frequently in singles.

Also, Fun=Winning....just throwing that out there.
No I wasn't. Unless of coures you weren't talking to me, then idk. I'm really ****ing tired right now.

Winning is fun. Its best served when you actually earn it.

twilit_dragon

Smash Apprentice
yeah I was talking to you Gage. You don't count because you and Jesse are like best in state and actually stand a chance against WA's good players, while the rest of us usually get owned. If like Ka master, Otto, Shane and Teddy all showed up to a tournament that we were at, they would probably take top 3 in singles if Jesse isn't there, and probably 2 of the top 3 in doubles.

Winning may be fun, but you can also have fun without winning.

keeper

Smash Champion

edit: I too normally know what I do wrong, especially with Samus. With Shiek, not so much. That too is usually why I get angry.
If Vulcan ever posts it on Youtube (POST IT, KENDALL RAWR), there's a recorded set of me playing Siglemic in a Money-Match. He's Peach and I use Sheik, so that may help.

As of right now. I just need to become a better player and slightly more consistent. Specifically against Doc, Falcon, and Fox. I need to learn to approach Doc, how to get around Falcon's combos and not get totally controlled by him, then I just need to learn to beat the crap out of Fox while being slippery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom