• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The next Generation: Pokemon X and Y confirmed

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Ice is just an unfortunate type in general. It has too many weaknesses against common attacking types (fire, steel, fighting, rock) while it is simultaneously resisted by common defensive types (steel, water, and fire). And it doesn't resist anything... Other than itself lol.

I'm not sure what improvements could be made to make them more relevant. Hell not even Kyurem-B (an legendary with insane stats) can overcome its Ice typing.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Kyurem-B would be Ubers if it had access to Ice Punch. Earthquake would help too.

It's **** movepool keeps it out of Ubers. Its typing contributes, but STAB Ice Punch from 170 attack would cover up the holes it has in its coverage without having to go mixed.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Kyurem-B would be Ubers if it had access to Ice Punch. Earthquake would help too.

It's **** movepool keeps it out of Ubers. Its typing contributes, but STAB Ice Punch from 170 attack would cover up the holes it has in its coverage without having to go mixed.
Unfortunately, all of Kyurem's forms utilize the same TMs and Move Tutors, and since Kyurem's other forms can't make fists, Ice Punch is out of its reach. On the flipside though, some Pokemon are able to get Ice Punch, even when they don't have arms to begin with.

Maybe introducing Stealth Ice wouldn't be such a bad idea, especially considering it could finally give Ice-types something unique to toy with.
Remember what happened to Charizard when Stealth Rock entered the scene. If an Ice-type variant of Stealth Rock was made, expect Garchomp to end up in the NU world too.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Charizard would still be **** even without SR. Volcarona proves if you're actually a good Pokemon you're actually OU even with a 4x SR weakness.

Admittedly though, almost every good Dragon would take 4x from Stealth Ice. It'd certainly make a lot of Dragons a lot worse, especially Dragonite which needs to be at high health.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
But the objective of passive damage is to weaken stuff your team is weak to, not weaken stuff your team is already strong against.

Stealth Ice wouldn't help Ice teams at all since they're already good against dragons/grounds with their STAB attacks. Stealth Rocks is still a much better option or else you'll get boned by Drought teams. It would just be more of a niche than a force like SR is.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
People don't use Rock teams with SR though.

Just getting something that has Stealth Ice for the sake of learning it and throw it onto a normal team.

Biz_R_0

Smash Ace
Oh, stealth ice? Great idea! Now OU will be almost completely devoid of Dragon, Grass, and Ground types, and Flying will be pretty much NU exclusive.

I have an even BETTER idea; stealth ****. Your Pokemon takes their penis (it's a male/neutral-only move) and throws it to the other side, ****** the other Pokemon upon switching in. It does 25% to all male Pokemon and 50% to all female Pokemon, making an entire gender useless FOR NO RAISIN! It'll be great to have none of these Pokemon ever be used again and have it, stealth rock, stealth ice, and max spikes instantly kill almost everything in the game automatically.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Charizard would still be **** even without SR. Volcarona proves if you're actually a good Pokemon you're actually OU even with a 4x SR weakness.

Admittedly though, almost every good Dragon would take 4x from Stealth Ice. It'd certainly make a lot of Dragons a lot worse, especially Dragonite which needs to be at high health.
Simply put, if Dragonite is NOT at full HP, it can't utilize Multiscale.

But the objective of passive damage is to weaken stuff your team is weak to, not weaken stuff your team is already strong against.

Stealth Ice wouldn't help Ice teams at all since they're already good against dragons/grounds with their STAB attacks. Stealth Rocks is still a much better option or else you'll get boned by Drought teams. It would just be more of a niche than a force like SR is.
If you're concerned about the Focus Sash or Sturdy though, then a Stealth Ice would mess up those two things. After all, if Focus Sash or Sturdy activate, your Pokemon is at risk of getting KO'd, which can potentially be disastrous for your team.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
If you're concerned about the Focus Sash or Sturdy though, then a Stealth Ice would mess up those two things. After all, if Focus Sash or Sturdy activate, your Pokemon is at risk of getting KO'd, which can potentially be disastrous for your team.
That's what Stealth ROCKS is for instead of Stealth Ice.

All I was saying is that SR would be more beneficial to an Ice-themed team than SI.

Stealth Ice could be pretty good on a non-weather team but you run the risk of getting run over by Drought teams (better have a Volcarona hard counter).

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
That's what Stealth ROCKS is for instead of Stealth Ice.

All I was saying is that SR would be more beneficial to an Ice-themed team than SI.

Stealth Ice could be pretty good on a non-weather team but you run the risk of getting run over by Drought teams (better have a Volcarona hard counter).
Think of it this way though. If Garchomp is holding the Yache Berry, that item won't be of much use to it if its HP is reduced to 50%. Stealth Rock damage won't guarantee that the Ice-type attack will KO Yache Berry Garchomp, if the attack is not STABbed.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
You know, I did have some theories with the names of Chespin's evolutions...

Chespin (Type: Grass) -> Porcunut (Type: Grass/Ground) -> Terrahog (Type: Grass/Ground)

Porcunut: A combination of "porcupine" and "nut".

Terrahog: A combination of "terra" or "terrain", and "hedgehog".

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Wouldn't it make more sense in context to make Chespin's evolutionary relatives Grass/Rock instead, due to how hard chestnuts are? Those things are almost like pebbles, and effective like them too.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Wouldn't it make more sense in context to make Chespin's evolutionary relatives Grass/Rock instead, due to how hard chestnuts are? Those things are almost like pebbles, and effective like them too.
You probably have a point there. While Terrahog sounds good, Porcunut does sound out of place if Chespin's evolutions are going to end up as Grass/Ground-type Pokemon.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Apparently X & Y will be shown off at E3, if the tweets between Masuda and Sakurai have anything to say. It might be a good time to provide more detailed footage, but at the same time don't expect a whole lot of new information by the time it comes.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I think the new Eevee in question is going to be of the flying type: ribbons, ears likes wings. Which means if there is a second Eevee, I am guessing it will be of ground type.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Ninfia is going to be a Normal type. Going by traditions, it's going to have HP as it's best stat and borrow the 130-110-95-65-65-60 stat distribution just like the others. Probably something like 130 HP, 95 Attack, 65 Defense, 60 Special Attack, 110 Special Defense, and 65 Speed.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I have already stated my theory in the SSB4 speculation threads, so...

[...]
Based on its effeminate appearence and the similarity of its name to Nymph, I think it will be Flying-type. Quoting Wikipedia:

Wikipedia said:
A nymph (Greek: νύμφη, nymphē) in Greek mythology is a minor female nature deity typically associated with a particular location or landform. There are 5 different types of nymphs, Celestial Nymphs, Water Nymphs, Land Nymphs, Plant Nymphs and Underworld Nymphs. Different from goddesses, nymphs are generally regarded as divine spirits who animate nature, and are usually depicted as beautiful, young nubile maidens who love to dance and sing; [...]
Source article

The similarities are just there.

Also makes me think that all the Eeveelutions relate to something natural, like elements (Vaporeon being Water, Flareon being Fire and so on...) as well as the Sun (Espeon) and the Moon (Umbreon).

I'm really thinking that Ninfia is based on Nymphs and will be a Flying-type.
Also, here's a table comparing English and Japanese games.

English names: | Japanese names:
Vaporeon|Showers
Jolteon|Thunders
Flareon|Booster
Espeon|Eifie
Umbreon|Blacky
Leafeon|Leafia
Glaceon|Glacia

The thought of Ninfia being a female-only Eeveelution is a bit jarring, when considering Eevee's gender ratio of 87.5% Male - 12.5% Female...

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Combee has a female only evolution with 12.5% female

It looks like a normal type to me, but I guess flying is a possibility.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Ninfia could possibly be a female-only evolution for Eevee, along with being a Normal-type Pokemon.
Maybe female only.

I posted this in a different forum section.

Here is another theory. I believe Ninfia is a flying evolution as stated before and that there will be a ground version to complement her. This would represents the Y axis (air) and the X axis (ground).

However, what if the designers decided to play with X and Y as chromosomes. X for a female, Y for a male. Ninfia is suppose to mean nymph in Japanese. Nymphs are typically Greek female supernatural creatures. The male version? Satyr. I wonder if there is a second Eeveelution, it is a ground type with male attributes and goat features. Maybe goat horns and hooves.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Not only does Eevee teach our children creationism, but now it denies human rights by establishing that there can only be two indistinguishable genders? This pokemon is so status quo it could be the next pope!

ss118

Smash Master
I'm sticking with it being a normal type considering iirc there was a pic of it using a fire attack, and as well know normal types are known for being TM whores.

I like the idea of it being flying with a ground counterpart, but tbh I think nintendo is gonna be lazy and we are only going to get 1 eeveelution this time and it's gonna be a normal type. Female only is a good call, imo. Doesn't help Mr. Mime, though

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Going to agree with boring ol normal Type. Gender not mattering, obviously.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Dude, whoa. CRASHiC. Did the switch to Xenforo lift your ban? Welcome back.

Also has anyone noticed the similarity between Sylveon and Sailor Moon?

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
The switch to XenForo lifted all bans, actually. I remember one of the mods saying that in the chat.

Sylveon's got to be the oddest of the Eeveelutions since it doesn't give much of a clue on what type it is, unlike the others.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I did have the following perspectives in mind, in terms of Fennekin's evolutions...

Stage 2: Fennekin's first evolution remains four-legged, but becomes part Psychic-type. Also, the males will start to grow some sort of mustache near their snout; females do not have this trait.

Stage 3: Fennekin's final form becomes bipedal, and wears a monk-like outfit; somewhat reminiscent to Taomon. It stays as a Fire/Psychic-type, but does gain access to a few Fighting-type attacks - such as Aura Sphere - albeit not getting STAB from them. The males have mustache like whiskers near their snout, while the females do not have this trait.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Sylveon's got to be the oddest of the Eeveelutions since it doesn't give much of a clue on what type it is, unlike the others.
It's a Normal type. Seriously, just looking at it screams Normal type. Honestly, I don't get the reasoning behind it being a Flying type, as it seems like people are looking too much into things.

Top Bottom