• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official 64BR Recommended Ruleset

NixxxoN

Smash Master
lol @ drugs rule, it is impossible to avoid cheating in this area unless you do doping controls which is highly unlikely. Some substances can make you play surprisingly better

NovaSmash

Banned via Administration
3DS FC
2079-8171-3301
i guess surri wont be able to take bong hits before matches at genesis 2

im just joking, dont infract me :)

linkoninja

Smash Journeyman
I saw this clip once where a jiggly (last stock, mid-low percent) landed a rest on a Ness (last stock, very high percent) on a cloud, and the cloud disappeared and the jiggly lost while ness was still in the star ko animation. That was obviously a friendly because it was on Yoshi's stage. I thought it was pretty hilarious.

IMO resetting is pretty pointless - it's only a few seconds saved anyways. In my book, resetting is equivalent to forfeiting - you haven't won until the game says you have, even if your opponent is in the star KO animation. Allowing the resetter to win is indeed a slippery slope towards abuses and arguments over technicalities.

EDIT: Found the video: 2:29 of http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrsUCEL_WXU
Resetting in my opinion is perfectly okay. Because if its on any other stage, once they reach the Star Ko animation they lost
I don't see any way for the person who isn't in star animation to lose/

And losing because your opponent is in Star Ko animation shouldn't count.

First of all cause that's only possible on Yoshi's Island
and secondly because it's only due to a stage hazard (the clouds) I mean seriously who would count you losing because of a stage.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668

dandan

Smash Lord
Resetting in my opinion is perfectly okay. Because if its on any other stage, once they reach the Star Ko animation they lost

and secondly because it's only due to a stage hazard (the clouds) I mean seriously who would count you losing because of a stage.
so if i rest someone off stage, and they get to a star ko, and i die sooner, i still win?

NixxxoN

Smash Master

Resetting is completely unecessary IMO, unless you are very short of time in some tourney or something like this.

The Star King

Smash Hero
The game was over, read the actual explanation. That was darkrain who paused, not Jman. Jman couldn't have recovered as Darkrain removed his controller and Jman put his controller in Darkrain's slot to finish the game.

See how it say's player 4.
You missed the point completely. I know Jman got the win anyways, but the point is that it's possible to win even when you're in the star KO animation. If you look, Darkrain tried to quit just as Jman up-aired him and failed at quitting (lol), but what if he didn't quit, and Jman messed up like that legitimately?

What dandan said.

MattNF

Smash Lord
I love how we're debating things in this topic, showing just how useless the backroom turned out to be after all.

MATTS!

Smash Ace
I love how we're debating things in this topic, showing just how useless the backroom turned out to be after all.
Thats the first line that made sence that I have read in the past months ever since they wanted a backroom.

The Great MATTS!

linkoninja

Smash Journeyman
so if i rest someone off stage, and they get to a star ko, and i die sooner, i still win?
You should. Star Ko's are stupid in my opinion the game creators should have made the animations the same as in any other direction.

And Star King
either way Darkrain lost that match. Pausing during a match is strictly forbidden, so it would be Dark's pausing that messed up JMan's recovery.

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
This is exactly why it's a terrible idea to allow the winning player to reset, and what I was referring to with my last post.

Slippery slope.
My example is exaggerated as to what King Funk is arguing though I think, he wouldn't agree with me resetting at that point but it's fine to reset while say you're opponent is being Star Ko'd and you KNOW 100% you've won the match.

You should. Star Ko's are stupid in my opinion the game creators should have made the animations the same as in any other direction.
I'd disagree. Despite what the creators did, if at the end of the match they say so-and-so won, then that person is entitled to taking their win, no matter how they got it.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
My example is exaggerated as to what King Funk is arguing though I think, he wouldn't agree with me resetting at that point but it's fine to reset while say you're opponent is being Star Ko'd and you KNOW 100% you've won the match.

I'd disagree. Despite what the creators did, if at the end of the match they say so-and-so won, then that person is entitled to taking their win, no matter how they got it.
Slippery slope man. Reset star KOs leads people to reset when they hit a Falcon Punch which leads to the situation where you reset when you weren't actually about to win. Plus there can be fights about whether you were going to die or not. Not to mention that the game is NOT over during the star KO animation. You could accidentally kill yourself.

Or you could avoid all the potential problems and just WAIT THE EXTRA 2 SECONDS

linkoninja

Smash Journeyman
That however wouldn't happen if Star Ko's didn't occur, and the animations were the same for all direction's blast lines.

linkoninja

Smash Journeyman
There's subtle strategy in that a star KO is more valuable than a normal KO
How so? All Star Ko's do is waste time and give Samus and Donkey Kong free time to charge their shots.

And it's more valuable to Donkey Kong
since I don't think I've ever seen a Samus kill someone from the top.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
It's most valuable for Samus and DK obviously. But you can change your positioning more easily if the other person gets star KOed.

And in a Time match (how the game was originally designed) you lose time on the stage where you could be getting kills.

The Star King

Smash Hero
I KNOW. Everybody is missing the point of my post. A Star KO is not a guaranteed win, I know Jman won anyways.

This post pretty much says it all, especially the last sentence. Try replying to this:

Slippery slope man. Reset star KOs leads people to reset when they hit a Falcon Punch which leads to the situation where you reset when you weren't actually about to win. Plus there can be fights about whether you were going to die or not. Not to mention that the game is NOT over during the star KO animation. You could accidentally kill yourself.

Or you could avoid all the potential problems and just WAIT THE EXTRA 2 SECONDS

asianaussie

Smash Hero
say what you want, make up all these scenarios about the winner suddenly feeling the urge to kill himself, whatever, if i get hit by a proper pika u-smash at 180% on my last stock without crouch cancels or anything and am sure im going to die, im resetting to save 10-15 seconds

a star KO isn't a guaranteed win in the same way that a boxer whose TKOed opponent is being counted out on the mat hasn't yet won - is the boxer suddenly going to say 'i forfeit, give him the win'?

just slap on a rule about reset = forfeit, so only the loser even thinks about resetting

ballin4life

Smash Hero
I only have a problem with the winner resetting. I and someone else both gave stories of the winner resetting when he hadn't actually won, so it's not like this is a purely hypothetical problem either.

linkoninja

Smash Journeyman
I only have a problem with the winner resetting. I and someone else both gave stories of the winner resetting when he hadn't actually won, so it's not like this is a purely hypothetical problem either.
Why though? The only times it would be a problem is when you're off stage
but if a Fox Up-Smashes you and you hear Jiggs going "Jigglypuff" that means you won
cause I don't see the Fox dying on Dreamland
and on Hyrule the tornados wouldn't matter because you would enter the Star Ko animation later

Pink_Kirby

Smash Apprentice
As previously discussed, allowing the winner to reset opens the door for the so-called winner to mess up and reset anyways and many other questionable or debatable circumstances. The very wording allowing "winner to reset" is problematic in my opinion because he/she has NOT won yet. I am for the rule that reset = forfeit.

NixxxoN

Smash Master
say what you want, make up all these scenarios about the winner suddenly feeling the urge to kill himself, whatever, if i get hit by a proper pika u-smash at 180% on my last stock without crouch cancels or anything and am sure im going to die, im resetting to save 10-15 seconds
I dont think you can save so much... but anyway, is it really necessary? I mean, 10 wasted seconds, why do people care so much about wasting/not wasting a few seconds?

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
What happens if you land a Fox U-air over the ledge for a star KO, and then in your hasty celebration, grip the controller so hard, that it slips through your sweat-soaked fingers, smashing on the floor as your character falls haplessly to his death before the star KO animation finishes?

As long as this scenario (or any other with the same outcome) exists -- no matter how unlikely or seemingly impossible it may be -- if the winner resets, he must accept the forfeit.

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
The winner can definitely reset if the star KO actually happens, which is when he hears the dying sound of his opponent's character. Doing it before is not a good idea because it leads to all sorts of problems (unless you hit with a falcon punch at 100% damage or when it's literally impossible to survive).

dandan

Smash Lord
why not just rule winner cannot reset and be done with it, why leave place for stupid arguments.
loser can always reset, it does not matter, winner should not be able to, will add a few secs but will avoid any argument following.

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
why not just rule winner cannot reset and be done with it, why leave place for stupid arguments.
loser can always reset, it does not matter, winner should not be able to, will add a few secs but will avoid any argument following.
There's no argument if you hear the sound of the star KO lol.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
Did you see the example of that jiggs rest on the cloud on Yoshi's?

You're going to have to add a bunch more conditions here ... to the point that it will be ridiculous.

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
Did you see the example of that jiggs rest on the cloud on Yoshi's?

You're going to have to add a bunch more conditions here ... to the point that it will be ridiculous.
Oh the case where Puff is falling after a rest.............. Didn't think about that. xD

Then yeah, I guess a "winner can't reset" rule is fine.

linkoninja

Smash Journeyman
What happens if you land a Fox U-air over the ledge for a star KO, and then in your hasty celebration, grip the controller so hard, that it slips through your sweat-soaked fingers, smashing on the floor as your character falls haplessly to his death before the star KO animation finishes?

As long as this scenario (or any other with the same outcome) exists -- no matter how unlikely or seemingly impossible it may be -- if the winner resets, he must accept the forfeit.
As I said
I said only off stage resets would be a problem.
But if your in the middle of a stage and you hear your opponent reach the Star Ko animation
then its acceptable for you to reset
cause there is no way in the world your going to die/

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
As I said
I said only off stage resets would be a problem.
But if your in the middle of a stage and you hear your opponent reach the Star Ko animation
then its acceptable for you to reset
cause there is no way in the world your going to die/
yeah but

I'm going to enter a tournament, and kill somebody with a star KO, and then purposely jump off the edge JUST to disprove your point.

sharksquail

Smash Ace
This
10 dandans

Top Bottom