• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Falco Critique Thread

AvoiD

Smash Lord
NNID
AvoiDMe
Aw. Everyone got this covered now, no need for Kuro's critiques. ;[

lmao, I'll do the next pair of vids harhar. I'm so lazy.

Sph34r

Smash Journeyman
You understand the character, so I'll go into specifics.

- Actually, one basic thing. Use bair to momentum cancel, you might have lived at (1st) 2:08 and (2nd) 1:23.

- Don't use fsmash so much without mindgaming it in some way (1st vid and the PS1 matches)
- Implement boost pivot grabbing, you had several great opportunities to use it: (4th)0:01-0:12, (3rd) 0:20, (3rd) 1:34
- Speaking of which, get the chaingrab down. If they escape, it should be because you didn't grab soon enough, not because you threw in the wrong direction (there's a comment on the 3rd vid anyway; you buffer the walk/grab, not the throw)
- Don't get predictable with phantasm as a ledge option. If he's clearly standing in the middle of the stage, he's expecting it, like at (1st) 1:28
- Don't use firebird as an attack or as a horizontal recovery, it's astounding how Seibrik didn't punish you for it (1st) 2:54
- Occasionally, you SHDL'd too high. Just relax I guess. It needs to be consistent.
- Don't phantasm back onstage when high, that's easily punishable (especially for MK). Yes, I know he eventually started spamming tornado at stage level, but you did this beforehand.
- Your usage of reflector was somewhat incorrect. If you're using it on stage, then only do so with a retreating SH. Don't use it offstage if you don't have a second jump... or at all offstage, lol. The one exception is ledge drop > 2nd jump > reflector, but when you did do that you went too far onstage and were punished. Either regrab the ledge when doing that or barely go onstage so as not to get punished. It's a pretty bad option anyway.
- Use dair out of your CG if he's clearly going to land onstage. You can techchase for potentially more damage as opposed to usmash.
- You could have IAP'd a bit more, but meh.

You're good, but as always can improve.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Thanks a bunch! U sure bair is better than Uair for momentum cancel? Uair is faster...

Sph34r

Smash Journeyman
Thanks a bunch! U sure bair is better than Uair for momentum cancel? Uair is faster...
The "Falco Board's Guide to Using Falco" states "Falco's fastest aerial to cancel his momentum is the bair. So straight after you DI'ed the hit, Fastfall a bair and then, if needed, double jump" under section G (recovering).

You might be thinking about Fox though. Fox's uair is indeed faster then his bair.

D

Deleted member

Both matter because you should double jump immediately which helps slow you down a lot, so the overall least laggy aerial should be used

J4pu

Smash Champion
start-up doesn't matter...
it's whichever aerial ends faster
unfortunately our frame data doesn't give the aerial end frames for each one so use which ever one you think ends faster, the idea is just to get your DJ out ASAP. having a hitbox out doesn't affect DI ability in any way.

dainbramage

Smash Journeyman
start-up doesn't matter...
it's whichever aerial ends faster
unfortunately our frame data doesn't give the aerial end frames for each one so use which ever one you think ends faster, the idea is just to get your DJ out ASAP. having a hitbox out doesn't affect DI ability in any way.
Uair is IASA frame 36
Bair is IASA frame 38

The other aerials are all slower, can't remember what they actually are.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
SO if start up frames don't matter, then momentum cancel is best with uair, it is CLEARLY faster than bair, you can tell just by SHing both of them and DJing after.

Sph34r

Smash Journeyman
SO if start up frames don't matter, then momentum cancel is best with uair, it is CLEARLY faster than bair, you can tell just by SHing both of them and DJing after.
I'd still like some more frame data. Every professional Falco player I've seen (SK92, Sethlon, Ozz [when he played, lol], yes there's more) used bair to cancel.

edit: fail, just open FitFalco.pac with PSA. Yeah, uair is faster.

****it, now I have to switch AGAIN.

Alright lol. All that other stuff still applies though :)

J4pu

Smash Champion
it looks more like you have a problem with tornado than with mk in general.
Nair and lasers beat tornado from the side
Dair beats tornado from above
don't AD through it...

Gmoney_

Smash Journeyman
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMgoK_V7zZA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VcHf-tCDcY

Alright fellow falcos I need some serious help with the MK match-up. Please dump every suggestion on me, because I am seriously clueless. I think from watching these videos I understand the obvious things I did wrong but everything else is foreign to me. HELP!

EDIT: fixed the link.
Don't be afraid to battle his glide attack wiht ur Nair. The first hit of ur nair wil clash with his glide attack (if u space it correctly, not that hard) and the other hits of nair will hit him. You can punish his nade afterwards. MK has a lil lagg after doing the nado. The est way to punish this is with side B (timing is rlly strictly though, so be careful). If the Side B hits, you can follow up with Bair/Dair for more damage.

And like J4pu already said, you get hit by nado too much. When ur shielding the nado, move ur shield upwards. This way u wont get sucked in the nado that much. don't try to Air dodge in the nado. If you get stuck in it, save your double jump and jump away after the nado is over. Try to punish nado with the thing i said just now. The MK will get scared if you punish his nado a couple of time and he will be more careful with using it.

hope that helped al lil.

Hawks go Caw

Smash Ace
It can make the difference between life and death. Why wouldn't you learn it?
(I'm just happy cuz its the same momentum cancel as pikachu)
I never said I wouldn't learn it or that you shouldn't learn it, I'm just saying it doesn't make that much of a difference.

Also, here's what I remember about momentum canceling. You want to use the quickest aerial you got (fastest startup) so you can cancel your hit stun and start DI'ing. That would make Bair the best. Am I wrong on this? I don't get it anymore.

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
I never said I wouldn't learn it or that you shouldn't learn it, I'm just saying it doesn't make that much of a difference.

Also, here's what I remember about momentum canceling. You want to use the quickest aerial you got (fastest startup) so you can cancel your hit stun and start DI'ing. That would make Bair the best. Am I wrong on this? I don't get it anymore.
You want the one that ends the quickest so you can regain horizontal movement the quickest, so uair is the best.

Vlade

Social Outcast

Sph34r

Smash Journeyman
Bair is the fastest aerial -_-
Based on...? :urg:

Round 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hH0rNwYKhZM
Round 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3u4TDRytS8

Yes, these are more matches against Corpse, but I still can't understand what I'm doing wrong. I think I need to work more on punishing but I don't like to play too risky against him.

Help me win next time :(
1st vid: usmash @2:25, usmash instead of dash attack at 4:47

2nd vid: usmash Oos @1:38 or DACUS at 1:54, 6:47... yeah...; dair at 4:32 to auto-fastfall rather then bair. "Better DI in general"; most of your deaths I THINK could have been prevented with better DI (or for that bomb a tech =D ).

These aren't really gameplay suggestions because you know how to use the character. I guess you need to better react to killing possibilities when they occur.

Gmoney_

Smash Journeyman
Round 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hH0rNwYKhZM
Round 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3u4TDRytS8
Round 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZjxFKrlG0U
Round 4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cz5fLVWywDc

I recommend the first 2 if you don't have time

Yes, these are more matches against Corpse, but I still can't understand what I'm doing wrong. I think I need to work more on punishing but I don't like to play too risky against him.

Help me win next time :(
I only watched like half of the first match (busy with HW and stuff xD). The only advice I can give you for now is that you need to try staying close to the TL. Falco's close combat > TL's close combat. don't give him space to spam his projectiles. Throw some "save" reflectors so now and then. It may scare him/ make him greedy to punish you.
Ill check more later on the day after im done with my HW. Hope this kinda helps a lil.

Denzi

Smash Master
just to clarify,
again,
you want the aerial that ends fastest, not the one where a hitbox comes out fastest

That would still be Nair, but you don't use that to momentum cancel because you can't DI until after you input it (i.e. not fast enough)

J4pu

Smash Champion
...? your main DI is the direction you are holding as soon as hitlag ends (which is as soon as you start your knockback phase) any DI inputs after that have way less effect, you can't input an aerial until somwhere around 20 frames after you enter hitstun, you can actually enter an AD command sooner but it still takes longer to end due to its long duration. So technically Nair is a viable option, unfortunately it is insanely difficult (at least for me) to DI correctly before I'm sent flying so yeah, I can understand your devotion to using the later time for DI purposes rather than an aerial that lets you use your DJ a bit sooner and depending on how big the difference is maybe you shouldn't even bother, but then again GW uses Nair --> bucket and even though bucket>>>>> DJ, he still loses his DI abilities during the Nair input.

EVERYBODY WHO DOES NOT UNDERSTAND DI CLICK LINKS v
http://i41.tinypic.com/307rzbk.jpg
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=221969

Vlade

Social Outcast
I thought we decided that Bair was best because it was easier to fast fall, although nair is quickest.

Thanks for the advice Gmoney and Sph34r

J4pu

Smash Champion
i have no idea which is the fastest one to end, ppl keep saying different things and our frame data doesn't say so I don't know what to believe.
Just don't use Fair,
kbye

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Uair is the fastest to end. Try SHing a nair or bair then DJing afterwards. Uair is much faster.

Top Bottom