• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Illinois / Wisconsin Brawl Power Rankings Thread! *NEW UPDATE (1-22-12)*

Quaz

Smash Master
I should start playing brawl and get myself on the rankings in like.. a month

but that obviously wont happen because everyone is too good.

I'd still like to play brawl though, al ittle more, just to be apart of the community.

"What the freak is an I-pass?????"

this made me LOL. Zozefup don't you ever play melee? your samus was legit!! you remember me from phatgamer's doncha??? DONCHA??

Zozefup

Smash Lord
I should start playing brawl and get myself on the rankings in like.. a month

but that obviously wont happen because everyone is too good.

I'd still like to play brawl though, al ittle more, just to be apart of the community.

"What the freak is an I-pass?????"

this made me LOL. Zozefup don't you ever play melee? your samus was legit!! you remember me from phatgamer's doncha??? DONCHA??
phatgamer's? Wow. That was like 3 years ago! I don't remember you off the top of my head though. What character did you use?

My Samus has gotten a lot worse, and everyone else has gotten a lot better :( I recently started playing melee again my roommate. But I mostly just jump around with Falco and miss L-cancels lol

Also, if I get a chance to come up North this summer we should play some brawl and melee. If you're solid in melee then in just a few hours I can get you winning most tournament matches with MK.

edit: What is the chances of us getting a IL crew together for MLG Ohio? I think we could surprise some people. I'm probably going, but i'm not 100% sure yet

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
so these new PR's....

1-10 = chicago

huzzah once again just like melee, chicago and only chicago is making the PR

Quik17

Smash Ace
yah ripple lol, what do you expect if no one outside of chicago goes anywhere

Also, Zozefup!!!! Come to a chicago tourney this summer! I know the ride sucks but you came to one of our smashfests one time, so you should be able to go to an actual tourney. And you got guranteed housing with Oro who can improve that melee samus of yours!!!

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
We should copy some of Socal's PR by listing previous ranked members, instead of forgetting about them completely...

Wafles

Smash Lord

Also, Zozefup!!!! Come to a chicago tourney this summer! I know the ride sucks but you came to one of our smashfests one time, so you should be able to go to an actual tourney. And you got guranteed housing with Oro who can improve that melee samus of yours!!!
Not to mention I'm lucky if I even see anything about a tournament outside of the chicago area in Illinois during each PR update. 1 tournament isn't enough.

WI travels 3+ hours to IL events, and I know that some people outside of the chicago area in IL aren't farther than 3 hours away.
Less johnz plz

_OraNoS_

Smash Ace
I could say the same for the reverse... lol

Not to mention I'm lucky if I even see anything about a tournament outside of the chicago area in Illinois during each PR update. 1 tournament isn't enough.

WI travels 3+ hours to IL events, and I know that some people outside of the chicago area in IL aren't farther than 3 hours away.
Less johnz plz
Nearly all Chicago tournaments end up being 3.5-4.5 hours driving for us (excluding traffic and adding ~3 hours for Zozefup). As a result, most Wisconsin players are actually closer to the Chicago tournaments than we would be, by 15-60 minutes. Even if we had traveled up for 2 tournaments, the current criteria would leave any non-Chicago players "inactive" :ohwell: I don't remember even considering attending more than 2, making us traveling irrelevant anyway. I wouldn't expect the reverse situation (us hosting most tournaments) to end in any different way, so as a whole, we're kinda boned. It certainly helped when Champaign occasionally hosted tournaments, because it is in a great place for everyone to travel to (except Zoze, but w/e MK sux :laugh:). If we had a larger player base in between Springfield and Chicago, a smaller number of tournaments would still produce a relatively accurate PR... but atm, we're just jumping back and forth between a full state ranking and only Chicago.

The problem results from how frequently we update our power rankings (a top 3 player has fallen into "inactive" status in the following PR the last 2 times). There's also a limited area the relevant tournaments were drawn from for this list (couldn't be helped), but it prevents getting a clear look at our scene as a whole. The only way a majority of our PR is at the same tournament is a result of what happened this time, if only Chicago players end up on the list.

Somewhat related: what's the basis for adding an out of state tournament to the list? X number of (ranked?) IL players or what?

(Basically, there are some thoughts I want to voice in the future and perhaps we'll get there in the discussion over the recent PR)

Veggie123

Smash Journeyman
huzzah once again just like melee, chicago and only chicago is making the PR
^^^

I think someone's forgetting he's a panelist.

A week or so before the update, I told Arty to send PMs to everyone so we could DISCUSS the next update. Where's the discussion if the panelists from Southern/Central IL do not participate? No participation = assumed inactivity. We don't decide everything in a day, there's plenty of time to chime in. As a panelist, please be aware that you're representing your region.

In general, I think we've been trying to be considerate about Southern IL and I've asked several times in the past if anyone reliable was willing to rep Southern/Central IL in the panel. I'll ask again this time. Anyone?!?!

I'm looking at you, Oranos, since you seem to actually care about relations between Chicago and "Not-Chicago" instead of just calling bias. (PM me if you're interested :bee:) We're totally open to communication, but it's just that the actual communicating seems to be the issue at hand here.

Quik17

Smash Ace
@Oranos - we changed the current criteria to only two tournies like a couple of seasons ago to help out the non-Chicago people a little more.

But yeah it kinda does suck that our state is so split. But you guys should really come to a Chicago tourney at least once this summer. You guys won't regret it. The venue Kirk got a hold of for the Don't Blink tournies is amazing. Huge venue, tons of setups, free parking, and free arcade games all for $5!

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
^^^

A week or so before the update, I told Arty to send PMs to everyone so we could DISCUSS the next update. Where's the discussion if the panelists from Southern/Central IL do not participate? No participation = assumed inactivity. We don't decide everything in a day, there's plenty of time to chime in. As a panelist, please be aware that you're representing your region.
I got no PM or any notification of discussion.

if chicago wants to discuss, they should make sure to invite people who are on the panel

chewyy

Smash Ace
^^^

In general, I think we've been trying to be considerate about Southern IL and I've asked several times in the past if anyone reliable was willing to rep Southern/Central IL in the panel. I'll ask again this time. Anyone?!?!

I'm looking at you, Oranos, since you seem to actually care about relations between Chicago and "Not-Chicago" instead of just calling bias. (PM me if you're interested :bee:) We're totally open to communication, but it's just that the actual communicating seems to be the issue at hand here.
I second this. Oranos knows his stuff!

Kirk

Smash Champion
All I heard was that melee got canceled because only like 5 people showed up. So they came back to my place to play instead. xD Don't know if it'd be the same for brawl...I hope it wouldn't!

Top Bottom