• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Marth Video Critique Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

takeurlife2

Smash Ace
The Falco that you played seemed to not know Falco too well, with the lack of Gatling Combo, SHL/SHDL, and IAP, and the overuse of Fsmash. Your Marth, however, was good, and you spaced well with tilts and aerials. You also efficiently punished with DB, however, on one occasion, you DB'd his shield. Once you notice this, you should stop with the 3rd down (green) hit, since Marth pulls back after that hit, reducing the chances of being punished. One flaw in your Marth is that you failed to punish the Falco's very predictable recovery pattern. Every single time the Falco phantasmed on stage, which was a large mistake on his part, but you failed to capitalize on this. Also, the Falco rolled excessively, and, sometimes, you didn't punish this.
Edit: Also, Dolphin Slash more out of shield, and to get out of multi-hits (jab). You could've fallen back to this move to knock Falco back out after his phantasm on-stage, since it has high priority, knockback, and invincibility frames, if you weren't sure how to effectively punish it.

Just my 2c, hope it helps.
who are you?

Zhamy

Smash Champion
I don't have a video up, but I'm going to be stealing your format, steel2nd, for the Fox boards for a critique thread.

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
Word son, just got to wait till I can get my **** internet connection back. Umm, ill do one vid each person, ima need glasses when im done with this =\

Ima have to do these tomorrow, i have to type an essay. Besides, my internet is gay right now.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
0:08 - "Knowing your Marth capabilities"
1. Fthrow to fsmash requires stutter stepping if they DI away. Learn it
2. The alternate was to go for the RoyR combo (right?) which is fthrow to nair to fsmash.
you need to be aware of what you can do, Marth has got **** throw related combos at low percents.

0:10 - Going for the grab again was worthless, you were better off forcing pressure with a dtilt to dancing blade.
0:11 - You need to vs better opponents.
0:12 - To compensate for the missed 0:08, you could have safely gone for an fsmash, most likely to tip (at just outside MK's jab range), but you allow yourself to get extra damage, in this case it was small, but it was 100% avoidable.

****... sound desyncs for the love of ****ing christ.

0:20 - You try to challenge a glide attack with an fsmash? Foolish. Now you've given yourself quite a lot more damage that could have been avoided.
1. A ff'd uair at the right time would have been smart (it came out at 0:18, you had 2 seconds to dash under him to intercept in his blind spot.
2. Shielding it to a grab or dolphin slash or dsmash or anything. If you had grabbed I would expect a grab release to tipper fair. To note is if he did it at maximum range or close to your shield. Aiming it (your shield) up would be good.

0:30 - Ya so you tried point 2, this comes with experience, but you want to allow yourself point 1 and 2 to be possibilities. The MK doesn't play smart by alternating the glide at all, so you would be able to realise that at the placement you were, a glide attack would be too far away from a shield/ds when it reached you. Moving slightly forward for point 1 (p.s. this includes usmash/utilt) was dangerous, moving backwards slightly to catch him at a low height however was NOT.

0:34 - You're really challenging that glide attack in bad ways TOO MUCH. You jumped right into it when "point 1" was perfect. PERFECT.

0:41 - Random Shieldbreaker? I think a random COUNTER could WOULD have been awesome.

0:48 - I shouldn't need to say it, but I will anyway. Practice the grab release to fair. You can do it in training mode, set MK to 20%, help "on", release dash to shfair and if it counts as a combo (while MK is still on the stage) its most likely GOING GOOD. Grab attack twice so you can see it count as '3 consecutive hits'

0:55 - He "glides" when doing the normal glide but from shuttle loop he doesn't, this is something you notice and take FULL ADVANTAGE OF.

1:23 - This was good, I havn't done something like this in a very very long time. The problem is, is that you got up. WHYYYYYYYYY. Always hold on to the ****er for life until they ACTUALLY DIE.

1:49 - Yay. Much goodness to you. Let's see if your opponent actually learns how hes asking to get ***** by his gliding habits as the match goes on.

1:59 - ughh. You have high hopes for your fsmash...

2:02 - Move selection time, he god **** JABS, you should have been spamming DSMASH. I DONT SEE DSMASH NOT KILLING HIM. (He isn't Super DIman), but you go for dtilt again after shielding for too long ;_;.

- This little point after 2:02 was a bit reckless of you, you had him backed into the corner, you go for something instead of reacting to something. It's how this **** goes -
From there he gets past you with a dash attack and ftilts you...

2:08 - Spot dodging MK's fsmash is like walking a tightrope above a pit of swords aimed upwards with both legs tied together, especially when the guys charging. SHielding was your safest option, but as he was ONTOP OF YOU, the feet hitbox of dsmash could have had some awesome results.

2:20 - He learns, but you stopped paying attention. Point 1 applied so much here it isn't even funny. Your opponent's abusable quirks all come from his gliding. FOCUS. You got him with an utilt anyway though :)

- Lots of crap, almost a repeat of earlier -

2:42 - Dash grab *GASP*.

Well HELLO, suddenly your opponent mans up a bit. And it all kinda stems from your mistake at 2:48 of whiffing a DS.

2:59 - Perfect shield a spammy dtilter into dsmash.

3:16 - Fairing here wasn't a smart choice at all. You should be able to see that. If you were really manly you could have tried a dair, but Air Dodging would have been sweet. And as his glide habits are the way they are, could have been something EXTRA SWEET.

3:37 - Ughh you saved him... twice :( I somewhat think stress or lack of focus has gotten to you, but it's a friendly; wtf.
3:41 - Alright, now you're just being an idiot. Not only do I despise idiots in general, you ask us to critique a match that you don't take seriously either. Sandbagging insults your opponent and those you ask to critique...

Your opponent didn't apply any/good pressure at all on you the entire match (BAR ONCE). You need more experience to fully utilise the move set in the right conditions, and your ability to read the opponent needs work.
i.e. "What is my opponent doing? What does he do when I do this? What does he seem to ALWAYS DO" etc etc

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
0 - 0:10: I'm going to give this enough 10 seconds before I think it's wifi and drop it. Wtf was this crap you were doing? Not approaching Snake? Spamming fairs while being no where near the guy? THen getting hit with a mortar slide and going "HUH DIDNT SEE THAT COMING"; oh wait, you did see it coming but you didn't respond to it intelligently.

0:34 - What's this jumping/double jumping crap while not doing anything? You're suddenly giving Snake time and room to get in under you, where Marth's weakspot is located... AND BAM he gets behind you and ftilts you...

1:02 - You need to take time out to learn what the hell you're aiming for. The air OR AN OPPONENT. I know you're not thinking straight, because there's barely any logic in your movements. I'm starting to rage. These simple mistakes are making a reasonably okay looking Marth crappy.

1:29 - You're still doing this stuff and it's not having positive results, flailing around in the air for extended periods of time, hanging onto ledges for extended periods of time, you're practically stalling except getting owned as you do it *sigh*.

2:36 - DI up and or behind Snake out of nair or dolphin slash...

3:51 - .... .... .... What...?

Seriously, I didn't need to critique your whole match entirely because points above, especially 1:02 and 1:29 covered your entire game.

SEcond match

Okay, i'll be brief.

Know what moves you need to do in the right situations.
Don't hold your shield for so long.

You need more experience, you know the "right things", but you also have the most horrible habits, try refreshing your basics.

K1000o

Smash Rookie
0 - 0:10: I'm going to give this enough 10 seconds before I think it's wifi and drop it. Wtf was this crap you were doing? Not approaching Snake? Spamming fairs while being no where near the guy? THen getting hit with a mortar slide and going "HUH DIDNT SEE THAT COMING"; oh wait, you did see it coming but you didn't respond to it intelligently.

0:34 - What's this jumping/double jumping crap while not doing anything? You're suddenly giving Snake time and room to get in under you, where Marth's weakspot is located... AND BAM he gets behind you and ftilts you...

1:02 - You need to take time out to learn what the hell you're aiming for. The air OR AN OPPONENT. I know you're not thinking straight, because there's barely any logic in your movements. I'm starting to rage. These simple mistakes are making a reasonably okay looking Marth crappy.

1:29 - You're still doing this stuff and it's not having positive results, flailing around in the air for extended periods of time, hanging onto ledges for extended periods of time, you're practically stalling except getting owned as you do it *sigh*.

2:36 - DI up and or behind Snake out of nair or dolphin slash...

3:51 - .... .... .... What...?

Seriously, I didn't need to critique your whole match entirely because points above, especially 1:02 and 1:29 covered your entire game.

SEcond match

Okay, i'll be brief.

Know what moves you need to do in the right situations.
Don't hold your shield for so long.

You need more experience, you know the "right things", but you also have the most horrible habits, try refreshing your basics.

jaja, mmm im start to think that was a bad idea to put this vid here =S... i dont know if you all are like this guy, bad observers, i hope you don´t, but the results talk for himself, that snake is not a commun snake and, he’s considerate the best Colombian snake, as Roy_R is considerate the best Colombian marth, even in the world, (btw, he watched that vid and he said to me: “you`re playing so well, keep that way”, those were him exactly words =)), the point is, that snake specifically, is pretty hard to defeat... there is something called "mindgames" and that was my best tool against that snake, i realized that the best form to defeat him is to “attract him” until he comes close, and then hit him with combo fairs or fspecial, that’s because I did those fairs with full jump, to “attract him”, that works so well to me, sorry if u don’t realized that ;)
The critique doesn´t to be negative necessarily, obviously, we all make mistakes, but my advise to you, critique in a positive way too, and try to see what’s working and say it!!!!, for example my spacing was so good, I hit him mostly with the sword’s tip… I did a spike too, u have to see everything if u want to do a full critique, that’s what I wanted, but here u didn't it, thanks a lot anyway ;)
however, i think that one fight isn't enought to judge a player's gameplay in this game =S...
BTW1, i almost win that match, he broke my shield, that really was bad luck =(... anyway, u don’t have idea of what a positive results is, q man tn nub a lo bn!!!! JI
BTW 2, sorry for my english, im Colombian, my native language is the spanish =)...

here a fight where i defeat him...
http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=jhSn2Txro74

BBoyindo

Smash Ace
Wtf K1000o? You ask for a critique, and when it turns out that you're playstyle was...bad, you make dumb excuses. If you don't accept your critique then don't post video's! And showing a video where you win isn't really helping.

feardragon64

Smash Champion
K1000 sorry if one of the best Australian Marth's isn't good enough for you and apparently doesn't know how to observe a simple match. Congratulations that you can space and hit with the tipper when you want to. It's not like any half-way decent marth main can't. Think about it like this, why does someone post their video here? If it's to get a pat on the back for the good things you've done, then this is the wrong place. If you want to get some assistance in how to improve your game, then we're happy to help. But if you're not going to actually listen to anything that was said and just expect everyone to go, "oh my god he's so amazing," then yes, you shouldn't have posted because all you did was waste people's time.

And before you go onto attack me, Shaya, bboyindo, steel, or whoever else you feel like attacking, realize that you're the one who is on his pedestal thinking that you're playing so well and that we're all "bad observers."

K1000o

Smash Rookie
yes, you're right, i acept the critique, but some things that shaya criticized of my playstyle works for me, and i dont think that are mistakes, is just this guy dont understood that or dont realized that... my real problem with that snake is to hit him in the air, he dodges my attacks almost times and i know in that point my problem is the timing, i dont attack him in the right moment always... i have been criticized before, that's why i know that, but shaya dont mention it... about the critique i dont agree in some stuff and isn't a big deal, and that's it, anyway i listened that and im thank you...
not because i seek a critical, i have to be agree with everything you say, don't forget that nobody knows them own playstyle better than himself, is just that i think one fight isn't enought to judge all a player's playstyle and shaya did it... i request for two fights critiques, not for all my playstyle judgement =S, is not logic that he does that with just a fight =S... but thanks a lot for your review =)

BTW, im not fighting with you, this is a forum reviews where i can put my opinion, sorry if u felt attacked, that wasn´t my inttention... maybe beacuse im new for here my attitude wasnt the appropriate, sorry about that (Y)

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
I don't know if you know this, K1000o, but the reason I initially lurked moar around the marth boards was because I knew that these guys knew what they were talking about, whereas I didn't at the time. Marth boards are very helpful, but they won't mince words for critiquing if they know that it is for the sake of improvement. We know Roy_R has a good marth, but the reason is because he knows why he does what he does (although his full hop habits worry me at times). On the other hand, there was sloppiness in technique, and I know it's against a good snake, but we're here to critique your response and your metagame, not how differing in skill levels you are to him. If he is doing the right thing or not, it doesn't matter, we're looking at how you play your marth.

My quick things:
-You use fsmash too often, especially against shield.
-your aerial game was sloppy, if you are hitting at nothing, it better be for good pressure, and this was plain sloppy.
-Your shield was on for too long in so many instances.
-Your edge game needs fine tuning.
-Use dtilt and utilt more often.

K1000o

Smash Rookie
I don't know if you know this, K1000o, but the reason I initially lurked moar around the marth boards was because I knew that these guys knew what they were talking about, whereas I didn't at the time. Marth boards are very helpful, but they won't mince words for critiquing if they know that it is for the sake of improvement. We know Roy_R has a good marth, but the reason is because he knows why he does what he does (although his full hop habits worry me at times). On the other hand, there was sloppiness in technique, and I know it's against a good snake, but we're here to critique your response and your metagame, not how differing in skill levels you are to him. If he is doing the right thing or not, it doesn't matter, we're looking at how you play your marth.

My quick things:
-You use fsmash too often, especially against shield.
-your aerial game was sloppy, if you are hitting at nothing, it better be for good pressure, and this was plain sloppy.
-Your shield was on for too long in so many instances.
-Your edge game needs fine tuning.
-Use dtilt and utilt more often.
thank u men, u helped me!

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
Wtf K1000o? You ask for a critique, and when it turns out that you're playstyle was...bad, you make dumb excuses. If you don't accept your critique then don't post video's! And showing a video where you win isn't really helping.
Inorite? If ur gonna be a ***** on these boards when someone is TRYING TO HELP YOU why post a video in the first place.

Gah.

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
Lmao half a mistake actually. I should send the replays of your Diddy to vyse.

I asked steel last night but he signed off aim.

[EDIT] Steels equipment aint working, anybody else that can record?

crazn137

Smash Journeyman
Lmao half a mistake actually. I should send the replays of your Diddy to vyse.

I asked steel last night but he signed off aim.

[EDIT] Steels equipment aint working, anybody else that can record?
I can record. Do I need the infinite replay hack to view them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom