• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Marth Video Critique Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alterhalo

Smash Journeyman
Lmao half a mistake actually. I should send the replays of your Diddy to vyse.

I asked steel last night but he signed off aim.

[EDIT] Steels equipment aint working, anybody else that can record?
Go ahead and do it

Well these guys are free to record the matches lol

BBoyindo

Smash Ace
And finally, thanks to crazn, i have video's!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZCKnNwV4jc&feature=channel_page
Vs ZSS. Won this one,i think i played pretty well.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuwoERX8-Js&feature=channel_page
Vs Ike. Won this one as well.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8a2vYxCKxY&feature=channel_page
Vs Sonic. I lost this one.
They are all vs Chis and they are from last weekend.

I played a lot of matches today, and my playstyle has changed quite a lot (strangely). When i look at these vids, i know what i did wrong, but still feedback would be greatly appreciated. Oh and these matches were over wifi.

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
Ok Joseph you have to send him your vids which ima send you. Can't wait for crazn to finish. Now for TLM's Critique:

:28 - You couldve finished your DB, what happened?
:49 - Your UpB gets predicted, you should mix up when you going to disrupt it, or even attempt walking out of it.You get regrabbed.
2:43 (Large Gap) - You both jumped into each others attack, but your still beign predictable at this point. I see a few patterns you need to switch up.
3:43 - He stood their, and got DDD's big *** on his head 0.o Apply pressure, you let him float back with ease, and improve your ledge trapping.
4:31 - You roll, bad choice. Marth's roll sucks, you get grabbed. And why do you make a mistake a minute?

You guys seemed to be equally matched. Lol, the match timed out. S@nt needs to work on his ledge traps, punishing, and predictability. Otherwise, he knows the basics, and is a very decent Marth.

Doomblaze

Smash Journeyman
Rukkiko:
I watched the first match
You need to be more aggressive, dont let him run around you and banana you all the time
PS his bananas when he throws them at you and if he runs towards you after he throws them SHFair him and keep the pressure going.
Stop slipping on his banana X_X pick them up, there were multiple times where you just walked into bananas and slipped on them instead of picking them up and glidetossing them.
Stay in the air more when he has his bananas out so you dont get comboed by them
Space your Fairs better so you dont get Fmashed out of them and DI the Fsmash so you dont get hit by the second hit

Since this wasnt a serious match and since you're better than me you probably know all of this, but thats my $.02

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
Some of those mistakes where yes button slips and a little tiny lag, but all in all it represents how I play. And yes I have to better pick up his bananas, our matches we didn't record I did a lil better picking them up. More critique will do, thanks Doomblaze.

Oh yea, these were friendlies, but even so I only took it slightly less serious, I need more tourney experience anyway. Plus I have two tvs, so ima pull out my Good TV Show john! Ha take that. Im still decent right?

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Ive been away for several days, hence I missed the last few pages and the time after K1000o's response.

Anyway.

K1000o, I critiqued you because there was a backlog, I was bored, and I was on off on a flight several hours later and didnt sleep (I left home at 5am). For that, I'll say sorry, my critique was not in the purest of mindsets.

However, my critique of you was valid. When I critique, if I know the Marth is stable I go for the minor details, when I critique others its the big problems. Your Marth contained big problems and I listed them directly. Usually I would also go and list what you did right if a REOCCURING situation (which you made huge mistakes before) had you doing something different, I would say "Yes, do that more, that's good" or "See, same thing happened here and you responded better by doing this, TAKE NOTE". Ergo, by looking at my critique of you, you can insinuate that I did not see you making good decisions, you responded in a static way to an overall static situation.

What I also mentioned in the critique was "making a goodish Marth look crappy", I can see that you get the gist of what Marth is, however your skills as a player are subpar. Your mindgames had me responding with "there is no [real] logic behind your movements". All this comes with experience, you adjust to playstyles, you grow to read better and learn GOOD habits and pressure tools. As my original critique summarised you don't have much as a great player as of NOW, but Roy R saying your Marth's style is good is another thing; I've already covered this.

Take the time to evaluate what you're doing while you're playing - become a BETTER PLAYER, not just a better MARTH USER.

BacklashMarth

Smash Lord
I'd like a full analyzation and general overview plz XD, and theyre on wifi but i now this guy irl and he lives like a block away haha

Match 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkUQDyB_X6Y
Match 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMax-H6N17k
Match 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEdJWQftg5k
Trying to play edge games against characters with multiple jumps = fail. If you want to try it though at least learn the new DS ledgegrab technique first. You really dont want to be on the ledge with marth while your opponent is offstage. Also, use your tilts more (mainly dtilt). This is a very good move that you should incorporate into your playstyle. Work on your spacing. I noticed that you got awfully close to pit in order to hit him when you didn't need to.

Punishment Divine

Smash Champion
My matches are ignored :D
Ill go step by step for the ZSS one.

:10 - I understand you were trying to counter the item, but simply ADing to catch it would have been better. He didn't punish your lag, however.

:17 - why did you punish with dsmash of all moves, at this percent? Dancing Blade is your universal punisher, **** with it

:22 - random counter? unsafe

:24 - again, dsmash is not a punishing move this early. Use Dancing blade

:35 - again

:40 - why did you dair randomly? on stage, even

1:03 - Dancing Blade him if he's spotdodging like that. Instead you got hit with his ftilt

1:08-1:11 - why aren't you airdodging?

1:12 - finally, a Dancing Blade! But why the hell did you use it so randomly in the middle of nowhere? o.o

1:39 - NEVER counter when you're above someone, please, children die when you do

2:10 - Again, don't dair on stage

2:30 - you went for an extremely unsafe spike when any other move would have sufficed, and got ***** for it

Those are the specific problems, Now for a general overview, First of all, why aren't you fairing like, ever? it's your best tool and you should use it. A lot. Second, why aren't you applying any pressure? You're just kinda sitting there, doing nothing. You are also doing very punishable things, and not punishing a lot of stuff. You were able to punish the very obvious stupid stuff i.e. dairing with ZSS (who does that anymore? ._.). You have to space yourself while applying pressure with fair, dtilt, you know the drill. You were doing stuff that would have gotten you ***** by any decent player, like misspacing fairs and doing random moves in the middle of nowhere. You had a good glide toss game, and were able to make use of dtilt which is very good.

All in all:

- Fair more
- Apply pressure with fair, dtilt, and other moves
- Edgeguard; not with dair, with fair and bair mostly
- Dodge obvious stuff
- Punish obviously stupid stuff, mostly with Dancing Blade
- Speaking of which, DB *****. Spam it now.
- Don't do really punishable stuff, like REALLY misspacing and dair on stage, also bad counters

That's about all that comes to mind

BBoyindo

Smash Ace
Lol, i expected those things yeah.
When i look back at it i see that i played very...uhm..reactive(as in reacting only and not doing much:p). And yeah there was a lot of dumb stuff i did, i wasn't really paying attention at 1:08.
I dunno why i didn't use fair or DB, i usually use them. And i tend to use a lot of dsmash on wifi, probably because people roll often online.
Overall thanks for the critique and i'm going to improve on it FAST!

Punishment Divine

Smash Champion
no1 looks at my videos? i need critique please
Im pretty bored so I'll critique. Gimee a few

Game 1:

:05 - What the **** man? lol. You definitely shouldn't have gotten hit by that

:14 - you rolled away when he was open to being punished by Dancing Blade, simply resetting the situation

:23 - again, you can wait until his active frames are over to punish lol No need to be flashy

:30 - yeahhhhh... XD I think you get it so I won't mention it anymore.

:40 - you jumped into that one. PKT is an insanely easy to punish move, stop trying to hit him while he's doing it

:50 - AHHHH! DASH ATTACK! MEIN EYES! THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING! Marth's walking speed is good, you could've walked into fsmash or something

1:30 - pretty sure that was poor DI there, but there's always room to improve that

1:38 - why are you waiting for an air release? You can pummel to ground release and get a free Dancing Blade out of it. It might be gay, but it's a big part of the Mother Boy matchup

1:55 - he rolled away, but you kept going with the DB. Don't be afraid to stop midway if there's a lot of distance all of a sudden between you and your opponent.

2:17 - No, no shieldbreaker recovery. Just go low

2:46 - Not really sure why you DB'd there, but you got punished for it

2:51 - I've foun dthat teching in place = horrible in this game. If anything you should have tech rolled away, even towards him

2:58 - Just don't dair on stage. Please.

3:05 - NO! No flashy spikes! You should've just stayed on stage and waited to punish his lag.

3:40 - Why didn't you punish his lag on that dsmash?

First game my overall impression is that you went for too many grabs. Dancing Blade out of shield would have suficed for many of those situations. You also seem to have a "here and now" kind of punishing philosophy on the PKT lol. Just wait for him to land on the stage, since he wasn't really going for the ledge, you should have picked up on that. You also need to walk more, a lot of times you were running and got hit by something you shouldn't have, or were unable to properly punish something (see:dash attack EWWWWWW) You also failed to keep your pressure going at times. On a good note, I liked the pivot grabs, your use of tilts, and your fastfalling. Oh, also don't use so much SH DubFair, it's not really good.

Game 2:

3:53 - You didn't get hit with it this time! :D

4:32 - I take it you tried to react OoS when he started doing that. Dolphin Slash would have been perfect, but you tried something else and got tripstick'd

4:37 - *Is blind from the Dash Attack*

5:17 - you really missed the obvious edgehog on that one, learn quarter stick edgehog

5:24 - not really sure what that DS was for, maybe a little late on trying to escape his dtilt?

5:30 - It's happened before, but I'll point it out here and in general overview. Punishing with grabs isn't always best, at least if you're not gonna Grab Release him. Dancing Blade would have been better here.

5:37 - you keep blindly going for grabs and get punished for it

5:53 - Yeah, you better make sure you're going for that ledge lol

That's the specifics. Now general overview of this game. You went for too many grabs and got punished. You even punished really big things with grabs. You need to Dancing Blade more, A LOT more. Dolphin Slash got you ***** at times, but that's only because you didn't use it properly. Your spacing could have been a little better this game, and you still need to walk a lot more.

OVERALL:

You have a decent Marth there. I really recommend you walk more, though, and make better use of dtilt. The other major thing is those grabby hands of yours. This isn't the D3 boards, sonny, we don't have a grab range the length of a football field and we certainly can't ghey someone extremely hard out of a grab (Well, unless they're Ness/Lucas/Lucario :p), then again that only applies if you're not going to use those grab releases. Grab Release to DB on the three I listed are guaranteed! Do it! Also pummel more if you're gonna grab that much. I noticed you were spacing pretty well, but not always tipping, you could work on that more. Also, stop getting hit by big dumb stuff :p

- More Walking!
- More tiltz! (I say this to everyone I critique XD)
- Dancing Blade more, especially to punish
- Stop getting hit by dumb stuff, especially during flash attempts *coughPKTcough*
- Go for grabs less
- space a little better
-keep up pressure

I did like your ability to fastfall, some of your pressure strings, your use of tilts when you did use them, and your pivot grabs. Your spacing was also a lot better than some players. Lol just curious, though, does the whole 'grab to punish' thing come from playing Falco?

jngamer

Smash Cadet
heheh, I have a thing for being flashy, but im trying to stop doing it. the grabbing i believe is coming from falco... thanks for the critique! ill take everything you said and work on it and make use of it.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Woooooooooow.

That felt good watching that especially cuz I know Candy tends to sleep on Marth really hard.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Hey Shaya mind critiquing my first Diddy fight? I lose in that one.
I'm no expert within the Diddy matchup. I'll do my best though.
1st diddy

0:08 - You never really need to 'retreat' against Diddy, especially at this early point of the match when the goal is to deter the opponent from getting a rhythm (or at least getting both bananas out). Diddy can't match you in the air...

0:11 - Did you mention this was wifi? This seemed a bit off. You were fairing the 'air', as in your spacing wasn't right. As he wasn't really "moving" (dribbling) this shouldn't have happened.

0:13 - The banana was behind you just after you were hit in the air, instead you go for a jump instead of ff'fair to stop him getting the banana again.

0:14 - Jump cancel that shield earlier. Or not shield at all. While he had the banana you had the advantage and his positioning was asking for a swift devestation.

0:15 - His mistake lol. But you retreat afterwards and don't attempt to continue anything (the nanas were there but you could have continued on with a jump to fair; most likely).

0:16 - *_*. FOCUS!

0:19 - Diddy has a much better ground control game than you do, you should know this. Dtilt when he's no where near you?? RUAGH

0:24 - Please explain this to me.

0:28 - The move selection is starting to get weird here. For every usmash you could be trying that sexy ffuair to usmash cawmboh (ground isn't your domain remember, it's like fighting less god awful ICs).

0:30 - It must be wifi, right? ughhhhh.

Rukkiko! :_:!!!!!!!

0:42 - You don't make it so easy to edgeguard. Do the magic dash edgegrab trick plz.

0:44 - Don't fsmash so much...
0:45 - The ledge guarding here was not thought out properly. Remember what Diddy's options are...

0:48 - Whiffed nair to fsmash???? Nair can barely reach Diddy ever unfortunately.

0:55 - Think of Diddy Kong like Ice Climbers and Snake, you have to pay attention to the surroundings while doing everything as safely as possible... You havn't ever been going for a nana steal this match, and this was a perfect time to grab it and throw it back at him to something 'sweet' :).

0:57 - Full hopping too much. It's not like Diddy's nanas hit you at the short hop height unless he jumps, and if he jumps that's when you capitalise... so.... yeah.

1:01 - The fsmashing is silly.

1:13 - Re: 1:01

1:18 - He's wasting a lot of time and there was a nana waiting to be stolen. You then perfect shield his side b and don't do anything but get hit ? :S

1:21-1:30 - You just aren't really paying attention to what he is doing with his bananas. You challenge him from a distance with fsmashes, and when you land you aren't throwing up that shield to at least hopefully PS it away (or just jump again or land elsewhere...)

1:35 - Re: (101 - fsmash) + dolphin slash

1:40 - You get a nana yet you throw it up. This was your first opportunity from a smart movement (getting a nana) that wasn't capitalised upon. Throwing it back at him OR holding onto it briefly until he lets go of his own nana were better options.

1:45 - You rolled into the nanas? BAAAD.

2:04 - Don't ever, EVER play wifi again.
Also I just realised, because you aren't aerially pressuring the diddy much, you're never getting the opportunity to rack up damage with dancing blade ;_;.

2:15 - Re:204

2:20 - You were invincible and instead of going for his bananas while he was throwing them you stepped off. Now was the time to rush in to steal his bananas, or 'force him' to try to grab them himself to stop you but get hit in the process as his invincibility runs out.

2:24 - :| Your problem here is getting within his 'space'. Coupled with some bad move choices, wifigay, not going for nana steals/not paying attention, Alterhalo is just dominating you with ease.

2:40 - A failed glide toss... BUT THEN
2:42 - The guy doesn't have a banana in his hand, yet you're shielding. You actually gave him enough time to roll behind and grab you... instead of just quickly grabbing the nana and due to the small quarters going for a dancing blade...

2:49 - Re: 101

2:52 - This little small point of time here was good, using the nanas back at him. You unfortunately missed an opportunity to edgehog due to the other nana, but you could have avoided said nana.

2:54 - Good, finally catching onto the side b get up.

3:10 - Before this you let him camp with the gun. There's no reason for you to do such a thing. At this timestamp though he brings out another nana and stays grounded while you swat at the air/retreat...

3:20 - I just realised you never do uairs at all. Alterhalo tries crossovers from time to time yet there's never any punishment (from dancing blades to the uairs).

3:22 - Perhaps practice some DI? I know it's wifi but just make sure you practice your reflexes for it.

The main issues were the almost 'random' move selections; the lack of pressure attempted by yourself, and not capitalising on almost any situation that occured. You can use more then fairs, and you can do more on the ground than fsmash. Your aerial pressure is all about stopping the nana **** as to then completely dismantle the diddy with a combined aerial/ground assault that generally Diddy cannot get away from.

ONCE AGAIN: GOOD **** KADAJ. I mean, LOL.

chaosscizzors

Smash Journeyman
i have a replay (no i can't make a vid on youtube, sorry) of my marth going against my friend's fox. he's not very good but he's the best i got atm. so can i send my replay to someone and have you tear my marth apart? i really want to improve but where i live the competition is, well, not there lol. it's not my best marth but i wanted to get in some good hits in three minutes so i was kinda rushing, but it doesn't matter too much, it's just me trying to play faster.

please and thanks, seriously, thanks.

BBoyindo

Smash Ace
i have a replay (no i can't make a vid on youtube, sorry) of my marth going against my friend's fox. he's not very good but he's the best i got atm. so can i send my replay to someone and have you tear my marth apart? i really want to improve but where i live the competition is, well, not there lol. it's not my best marth but i wanted to get in some good hits in three minutes so i was kinda rushing, but it doesn't matter too much, it's just me trying to play faster.

please and thanks, seriously, thanks.
I'm quite sure there's competition in there. Wasn't Ann Arbor in Michigan?

chaosscizzors

Smash Journeyman
I'm quite sure there's competition in there. Wasn't Ann Arbor in Michigan?
money's tight so i don't get around very often. BUT i will keep an eye out for more tournaments, i think there might be a tournament coming to my town sense a new arcade type place opened up.
Critique:

Play faster, always.
ok, can someone please watch the replay though? i'm addicted to getting better at this game lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom