• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Ohio Brawl Power Rankings (11/25/12: NEW RANKINGS UPDATED!)

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
Maybe if the wifi is awesome for Smash 4 the Midwest can be awesome. I hear other gaming communities have a ton of good players in the MW if the game is played online. Overswarm would randomly get calls while working for IT at his university from Halo pros and then go hang with them after work.

Also, back in 2010, I studied the hell out of people. I had a binder where I wrote down every little habit or gimmick that everyone had when I watched them via a live match/ youtube video. I went around and interviewed a ton of people about what their opinions were and what made them most frustrated about fighting MK. I played every chance I could and asked for advice from every player with every skill level. I was dead set on winning and becoming better. I was slowly but surely achieving my goal of going "pro" with MLG and getting a stipend when MLG dropped us. At MLG DC, I was one placement away from getting a stipend to Dallas (I got 24th and I needed 18th or whatever the next step up was). I was ranked top 15 in the world according to that tournament compilation chart from 2010 and I was doing things like 2-0ing everyone in my Apex pool. Then MLG dropped us and I lost all motivation to actually improve. Sure, I play Marth now and I have fun playing him, but I haven't actually put effort into learning this game since October 2010.

From my personal experience, players in the Midwest CAN improve, but it takes wayyyyy more effort than the other regions. I hardly ever got 2-0ed at MLG, but I couldn't close the deal. I had so much less experience than Seibrik, Havok, MikeHaze, ADHD, etc. that I could not close the deal on them when I had them in a favorable position. In the end, their experience won them the sets I played against them because I would choke or I respected them too much. I had never played a top tier MK, or one of the best Marths, so I was destined to lose. I felt that if I could play them again that I would have a good chance. I felt that I was catching up to the tier of players that I wanted to be, but MLG was cut short and I lost all motivation to play and improve.

At this point, I have switched off MK for Falco and now Marth. I still go to tournaments and I do want to win, but I don't care enough to actually put forth that kind of effort I did in 2010. The amount of effort a MW player has to put in compared to other regions is staggering. Even when OS and I had bred a great local scene and had specialty characters to play against (smash 64's ness, tyr's lucas, YbM's kirby, Infern/ smash 64's snake, OS' ROB) it was not enough to stand up to the national scene.

Another reason the MW has fell short of reaching its potential (at least in the Ohio/ Indiana/ Kentucky area) is that everyone would sandbag against each other. ****ing godkais would never play to win outside of tournament. Even a couple months ago at Chi's no money tournament, AZ would sandbag against me blatantly by not pulling bananas and doing stupid stuff that we both know wouldn't work. He didn't want me to catch on to his habits or how to weave in and out of bananas. He wanted to beat me that day. The problem with this mentality is that when you go out of region, you'll get stomped. I never truly learned how to fight Diddy, and I still don't know how to fight Diddy, despite knowing and teaming with AZ since Brawl began. AZ is just an example but almost everyone in the area did this. Everyone was too worried about beating each other in the next weekend in order to get a rank up on the PR that we didn't learn how to fight each others' characters at a fundamental level. This is still going on today. Would anyone believe that even after a year of living near Judo that I STILL don't know how to fight Shiek? lol

At this point of Brawl, I just look at tournaments like they're something to do/ an excuse to travel with my friends and see people I enjoy being around. That is not to say that I don't want to win, or that I don't want to improve. I just don't want to put the effort forward to do so. It seems that MOST people still feel this way. There are a couple notables that are grinding it out and learning the game day by day (Zinoto, Carls, etc.), but people like Shugo, me, Lain, Judge, etc. we just view tournaments as a chance to hang out and maybe win money by banking on our old skills. We have fun and we want to win, but we don't want to put the effort forth to do it any more.

So, yeah. Midwesterners have a harder time getting decent, but it does happen. It's just that it's usually way too much effort to keep up with. Good luck Carls and Zinoto! The MW is rooting for you!
nerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrd.

Judo777

Smash Master
Maybe if the wifi is awesome for Smash 4 the Midwest can be awesome. I hear other gaming communities have a ton of good players in the MW if the game is played online. Overswarm would randomly get calls while working for IT at his university from Halo pros and then go hang with them after work.

Also, back in 2010, I studied the hell out of people. I had a binder where I wrote down every little habit or gimmick that everyone had when I watched them via a live match/ youtube video. I went around and interviewed a ton of people about what their opinions were and what made them most frustrated about fighting MK. I played every chance I could and asked for advice from every player with every skill level. I was dead set on winning and becoming better. I was slowly but surely achieving my goal of going "pro" with MLG and getting a stipend when MLG dropped us. At MLG DC, I was one placement away from getting a stipend to Dallas (I got 24th and I needed 18th or whatever the next step up was). I was ranked top 15 in the world according to that tournament compilation chart from 2010 and I was doing things like 2-0ing everyone in my Apex pool. Then MLG dropped us and I lost all motivation to actually improve. Sure, I play Marth now and I have fun playing him, but I haven't actually put effort into learning this game since October 2010.

From my personal experience, players in the Midwest CAN improve, but it takes wayyyyy more effort than the other regions. I hardly ever got 2-0ed at MLG, but I couldn't close the deal. I had so much less experience than Seibrik, Havok, MikeHaze, ADHD, etc. that I could not close the deal on them when I had them in a favorable position. In the end, their experience won them the sets I played against them because I would choke or I respected them too much. I had never played a top tier MK, or one of the best Marths, so I was destined to lose. I felt that if I could play them again that I would have a good chance. I felt that I was catching up to the tier of players that I wanted to be, but MLG was cut short and I lost all motivation to play and improve.

At this point, I have switched off MK for Falco and now Marth. I still go to tournaments and I do want to win, but I don't care enough to actually put forth that kind of effort I did in 2010. The amount of effort a MW player has to put in compared to other regions is staggering. Even when OS and I had bred a great local scene and had specialty characters to play against (smash 64's ness, tyr's lucas, YbM's kirby, Infern/ smash 64's snake, OS' ROB) it was not enough to stand up to the national scene.

Another reason the MW has fell short of reaching its potential (at least in the Ohio/ Indiana/ Kentucky area) is that everyone would sandbag against each other. ****ing godkais would never play to win outside of tournament. Even a couple months ago at Chi's no money tournament, AZ would sandbag against me blatantly by not pulling bananas and doing stupid stuff that we both know wouldn't work. He didn't want me to catch on to his habits or how to weave in and out of bananas. He wanted to beat me that day. The problem with this mentality is that when you go out of region, you'll get stomped. I never truly learned how to fight Diddy, and I still don't know how to fight Diddy, despite knowing and teaming with AZ since Brawl began. AZ is just an example but almost everyone in the area did this. Everyone was too worried about beating each other in the next weekend in order to get a rank up on the PR that we didn't learn how to fight each others' characters at a fundamental level. This is still going on today. Would anyone believe that even after a year of living near Judo that I STILL don't know how to fight Shiek? lol

At this point of Brawl, I just look at tournaments like they're something to do/ an excuse to travel with my friends and see people I enjoy being around. That is not to say that I don't want to win, or that I don't want to improve. I just don't want to put the effort forward to do so. It seems that MOST people still feel this way. There are a couple notables that are grinding it out and learning the game day by day (Zinoto, Carls, etc.), but people like Shugo, me, Lain, Judge, etc. we just view tournaments as a chance to hang out and maybe win money by banking on our old skills. We have fun and we want to win, but we don't want to put the effort forth to do it any more.

So, yeah. Midwesterners have a harder time getting decent, but it does happen. It's just that it's usually way too much effort to keep up with. Good luck Carls and Zinoto! The MW is rooting for you!
Kel you are the best player in the MW at the Sheik MU bar none. You really have no idea how much you know. You just don't know as much as me in the MU and you have a lot of catchup to do. Like for real i don't think you will be losing to any sheiks for a while.

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
I would kinda hope that you are better at a +3 MU for your character, Roller. Though, I can't say I'd be surprised if you lost the MU vs Judo, to be quite honest.

Roller

Smash Legend
I would hope that too. Especially considering Tutu lives 10 minutes from me.

The challenging of his statement wasn't meant to be braggadocios. Just to point out the inaccuracy of what Judo claimed. I didn't even claim to be the best at it. Just good enough to beat his sheik, which it sounds like Kel can't do very consistently.

Also to make $50.

Judo777

Smash Master
Roller just because you may be able to do better vs Sheik due to your character selection doesn't mean you know more about the MU. In fact your character selection probably hurts your MU knowledge due to it being far less necessary to win.

For example I am complete garbage at the Fox MU. But I don't need to be that good at it to win.

Like IC's Sheik is so easy for IC's you don't need to know practically anything at all. Be comfortable with IC's, take advantage of her airspeed, and do easier CG's if you fear tripping or messing up.

Roller

Smash Legend
I never claimed to "know more" about anything. I said I was better at it.

As far as I'm concerned, all I said was more or less, "I will do better against sheik than Kel would." Yes, my character is a huge reason for that. Knowledge about the opposing character, and performance against them are two entirely different things.

Again, I wasn't trying to brag, it is indeed a stupidly easy mu for ICs. I was pointing out the absurdity of your comment; BECAUSE it is stupidly easy for ICs.

Also. I have played an incredibly high number of games with Tutu, and have had endless discussions with him about smash, and our characters. So if I WERE to make the claim I KNEW more about the mu, and by extension the character as a whole... I probably wouldn't be wrong.

Judo777

Smash Master
I never claimed to "know more" about anything. I said I was better at it.

As far as I'm concerned, all I said was more or less, "I will do better against sheik than Kel would." Yes, my character is a huge reason for that. Knowledge about the opposing character, and performance against them are two entirely different things.

Again, I wasn't trying to brag, it is indeed a stupidly easy mu for ICs. I was pointing out the absurdity of your comment; BECAUSE it is stupidly easy for ICs.

Also. I have played an incredibly high number of games with Tutu, and have had endless discussions with him about smash, and our characters. So if I WERE to make the claim I KNEW more about the mu, and by extension the character as a whole... I probably wouldn't be wrong.
If that is the case than you just incorrectly responded to my post. See when I say better at at MU i mean more skilled at the MU (which is probably what most people think), not being better as in "the spot that i click A at on the character select screen is better than yours." Also you have no idea how absurd it is, Kel plays IC's from time to time, maybe his IC's vs Sheik are better than urs because he can pick the same spot on the screen AND have more MU knowledge.

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
I'd be willing to agree to that. Kel is a better player, but I'm sure that by now Roller has a fair amount more experience.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
It doesn't really matter either way.

1. Sheiks are few and far between, with top notch ones being even less frequent.

2. Kel and Roller both display the capability to beat proficient Sheiks. Perhaps have Kel play Tutu and Roller play Judo to clear up any sort of style difference factors if this is realy something worth comparing.

3. Roller does possess the convenience of a landslide matchup, but like any matchup you can still get blown the **** up up if you don't know what you're doing to actually be able to exploit it. Case in point: any sub-par MK vs most veteran Peaches, most notably Nicole.

KassandraNova

Smash Master
3DS FC
4167-5079-1850
It doesn't really matter either way.

1. Sheiks are few and far between, with top notch ones being even less frequent.

2. Kel and Roller both display the capability to beat proficient Sheiks. Perhaps have Kel play Tutu and Roller play Judo to clear up any sort of style difference factors if this is realy something worth comparing.

3. Roller does possess the convenience of a landslide matchup, but like any matchup you can still get blown the **** up up if you don't know what you're doing to actually be able to exploit it. Case in point: any sub-par MK vs most veteran Peaches, most notably Nicole.
Pretty much if someone doesn't know the match up, or if they're ******** they deserve the loss. Lmao xD

:phone:

Carls493

Smash Ace
NNID
Carls493
3DS FC
5000-2571-4495
I know Fox is generally terrible against Sheik because of the ftilt lock, but I still wanna learn how to fight her with him better.

Top Bottom