• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The official Pivot Walking (and PW Crouching) thread.

Napilopez

Smash Lord
This looks awesome.
But if you're approaching with the sliding shield, your opponent is in the much better position for attacking. So I don't see this helping anyone's metagame.
Sorry if I sound rude with so many rebuttals to you =/, but this is not really true. A huge portion of Sonic's grab game and appoach game relies on sliding shields. It's what allows him to not have much trouble against range characters, as in most instances he can shield an attack while sliding in for a grab. Like, you can shield DK Ftilt while sliding in for a counter grab.The difference is that Sonic usually does this from a dash.

I can see Marth approaching with Doop Walk, and doing a sliding shield into a grab. Not to mention that Marth has a nice fast ranged grab too.

Barge

All I want is a custom title
I'll have to agree with samurai panda on this one, if this were to become common in competitive play, we would look like a bunch of ******* spinning around. From havokk's video against the DDD I can already picture it. Multiply that x 2.

SuSa

Banned via Administration
Fox Boards (one person) found a use:

I messed around with it in tournament play today. It's genuinely useful if you take the time and effort to utilize it correctly.

Uses I've found (assuming Fox, Z set to attack)

Sh B-air slightly outside of punish range > Hold Z > Single Waffle towards > F-Tilt.
Pressures shield, and the approach on the F-tilt is much faster than walking in, or Dash shielding.

Sh D-air to back of opponent, holding Z. If Shielded, Single waffle away, Ftilt in the opposite direction. Replace Ftilt with Dsmash/utilt if they dash toward you. If not shielded, combo as normal.

----

If you think of the move not as a replacement for walking, but as a quick boost in one direction, with a full range of moves out of it, the practicality really shows. It's quite similar to WD'ing in usefulness. People who seek to approach with it 100% of the time are going to get punished extremely easy. It's in the sublety of it how people are going to be able to capitalize.

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
I still dont get why this is being passed off as something new when it has been done for months. I myself knew this forever. WTF. This is common knowledge for pit players as well. They do it outta sidestep. This is prolly worse than niko tryin to take credit for Floatlanding.

M15t3R E

Smash Master
No one worth mentioning has really tried to impliment the pivot boost into their gameplay not because it was difficult to do, but because it's not useful.
Finding an easier way to do it doesn't make it any more useful.

Doopliss_Swe

Smash Journeyman
I still dont get why this is being passed off as something new when it has been done for months. I myself knew this forever. WTF. This is common knowledge for pit players as well. They do it outta sidestep. This is prolly worse than niko tryin to take credit for Floatlanding.
This is nothing like angelic/demonic step, if that's what you mean. you can only spin once doing that. From what I've seen, theres a LOT of different spins and pivots, and this is just another variation of it.

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
This is nothing like angelic/demonic step, if that's what you mean. you can only spin once doing that. From what I've seen, theres a LOT of different spins and pivots, and this is just another variation of it.
U can spin more than once. Sethlon has done this months ago in tournament.....pretty funny LMAO. Its on youtube. I'll find it soon enough. If ur just showing another way to do it technically then ok. Theres ppl here who acts like its something never seen before.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
If you use it while your opponent is in hitstun or for a tech chase then it's very safe and efficient. Im referring to actual pivot boosting, but you can also use this tech if you cant PB well

PW/PB
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAIlB1MHwTs 2:56 out of hitstun
5:52 as a tech chase
Awesome use of pivot walking/boosting, nice job ^_^

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
So far, I've just messed around with this in the controller set-up arena (when you go to change your controller settings). Looks sexily easy to do out of an aerial, and can really help you execute a pivot jab, which I think will be the most useful use of this tech. I secondary Link now, so I'm looking forward to checking out exactly how **** this is for him.

SuSa

Pivot Boosting is better for Link says 99% (everyone but me basically) of the Link boards.

Most of the Sonic boards like this.

One or two people from the Fox boards like this.

Several people from the Marth boards like this.

Some people for DK will like this for Cargo...

I need to update my sig with My Guide to Prediction and Observation...ohwai-

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Wow... I'm surprized this is being brought up again. :laugh: Wasn't this dubbed borderline useless for just about everyone except Luigi and the Ice Climbers by people like Samurai Panda several months ago?

Doopliss_Swe

Smash Journeyman
You're probably thinking of crazy walking or what's-it's-name. This looks similar, but is executed completely different, and have different uses.

Now, I've edited the OP and asked everyone to stop claiming that this is known already when it is NOT the exact same thing.

Charoo

Smash Champion
You're probably thinking of crazy walking or what's-it's-name. This looks similar, but is executed completely different, and have different uses.

Now, I've edited the OP and asked everyone to stop claiming that this is known already when it is NOT the exact same thing.
I'm sorry doop but this have been known for months. There was a thread here that teaches how to do it in 2 different method. That was how I found out how to do it waaaaaay back then, and just thought it was a common knowledge. I can even upload a video of me doing it in a match like back in august or Jmex & Edrees can vouch for me.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=177084

Method 2:
Using the standard Gamecube controller setup, Set the L button to attack. When walking to the left, hold down the L button and tap the C-stick diagonally upward to the right. Your character should pivot.*

This is exactly what your method is. I myself use Z when I discover this since I already have Z as attack anyways. So please stop saying this technique or method is new.

I was really excited to see a thread saying there was something new, but sadly it wasn't =(

Good job on figuring it out yourself though.

Doopliss_Swe

Smash Journeyman
I'm sorry doop but this have been known for months. There was a thread here that teaches how to do it in 2 different method. That was how I found out how to do it waaaaaay back then, and just thought it was a common knowledge. I can even upload a video of me doing it in a match like back in august or Jmex & Edrees can vouch for me.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=177084

Method 2:
Using the standard Gamecube controller setup, Set the L button to attack. When walking to the left, hold down the L button and tap the C-stick diagonally upward to the right. Your character should pivot.*

This is exactly what your method is. I myself use Z when I discover this since I already have Z as attack anyways. So please stop saying this technique or method is new.

I was really excited to see a thread saying there was something new, but sadly it wasn't =(

Good job on figuring it out yourself though.
Yeah, but 274827490 people have been nagging about totally different things...

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
Most people are using this wrong. : | so they think it sucks..... >.>

lurn2AT
You can't assume everyone who doesn't like this is using it wrong. Some people may just not like it, it certainly isn't universal.

Give me a situation that "waffling" is the best option in.

SuSa

You can't assume everyone who doesn't like this is using it wrong. Some people may just not like it, it certainly isn't universal.

Give me a situation that "waffling" is the best option in.
The people who have posted how they used it, besides 2 of them, have listed scenarios in which they used it stupidly, got punished, and said it sucked.

Others are just not giving it a chance and are saying it sucks.

Marth:

Dancing Blade ending in down > Pivot Walk tech-chase
Fair Fair > Fsmash > Pivot Walk to close distance > put up Fair wall again

Fox:
Scenario was listed earlier, less of an approach more of a 'close a small distance quicker then a walk to punish' and you can quickly Pivot Walk into a reverse utilt to keep a juggle going.

Since these characters have a faster Pivot Walk then a walk, it's useful.

People like Mario/Weegee/Samus/G&W and all these people I gave a *- or -- for a reason are trying to find a use. I know there won't really be a use for them at all.

Jigglypuffs are saying it allows for a quicker RAR since their walk really sucks, I don't really know how or why so I take their word for it. That's their use for it, and some of them like it.

I messed up the spacies ratings, Falco and Wolf should be *- although I do think Wolf may find a use for it eventually (it's a little better then *- but not a **)

Characters I gave a ** I felt could find -some- use for it.

People need to use this more like Pivot Boosting, more for tech-chasing and closing a small distance quickly to punish.

It's also good for "GTFO'ing" for some characters, simply because you can Pivot Walk into a RAR moving away (RAR for Marth meaning you're walking left so you turn right and fair xD ...sort of like a moonwalk escape)

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
The people who have posted how they used it, besides 2 of them, have listed scenarios in which they used it stupidly, got punished, and said it sucked.

Others are just not giving it a chance and are saying it sucks.

Marth:

Dancing Blade ending in down > Pivot Walk tech-chase Walking doesn't work here? Or running with a shield to cancel momentum?
Fair Fair > Fsmash > Pivot Walk to close distance > put up Fair wall again Because Fair is from a jump, couldn't you just run?

Fox:
Scenario was listed earlier, less of an approach more of a 'close a small distance quicker then a walk to punish' and you can quickly Pivot Walk into a reverse utilt to keep a juggle going. I'll admit I don't know aaaannnnyyyythinnngg about fox, so good thing they might have found something useful for them, =]

Since these characters have a faster Pivot Walk then a walk, it's useful.

People like Mario/Weegee/Samus/G&W and all these people I gave a *- or -- for a reason are trying to find a use. I know there won't really be a use for them at all. =[. Our tilts aren't as good as our aerials for us GaWs, sucks =[

Jigglypuffs are saying it allows for a quicker RAR since their walk really sucks, I don't really know how or why so I take their word for it. That's their use for it, and some of them like it.

I messed up the spacies ratings, Falco and Wolf should be *- although I do think Wolf may find a use for it eventually (it's a little better then *- but not a **)

Characters I gave a ** I felt could find -some- use for it.

People need to use this more like Pivot Boosting, more for tech-chasing and closing a small distance quickly to punish.

It's also good for "GTFO'ing" for some characters, simply because you can Pivot Walk into a RAR moving away (RAR for Marth meaning you're walking left so you turn right and fair xD ...sort of like a moonwalk escape)
My responses are in red.

Anyways, I might have discredited it too soon, you are too hopeful and I not enough hop=].

I am normally against Techs that require me to change my control scheme, so lets forget this argument, it is too early to dismiss/exalt such a tech, and instead let me ask... Is there a way to do it with the default controls?

SuSa

I do it with default (tap jump off makes no difference).

I seem to mess up more using R >.> it feels weird holding it down.

Pivot Walk is FASTER THEN WALKING hence why I listed it. ;)
Running to shield forces you to shield, in most cases. That's to slow.

Yah, it seems the Link boards dismissed it, about half the Marth boards dismissed it, and we have the same pessimistic few in every other board that are dismissing it.

This is two days old, and very few (if any) have actually started using it.

Out of the ones that have started to use it, and the scenarios they gave, the ones who hated it/thought it was useless used it incorrectly while those who DID find a use for it, and said they'd definantly give it more of a chance used it correctly.

I also have my setup pretty normal:
R - Attacks (or Specials when I use Pit and Snake, and a few other characters)
Tap Jump Off - I hate Tap jump, personal preference. (I like to uair without using my second jump tyvm and not jump when I'm looping an arrow...)
X- Grab

I jump with Y :3

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
It just doesn't feel as usable as other techs. It might eventually be, but they aren't randomly discrediting this.

M15t3R E

Smash Master
PW'ing is slower than walking because to initiate it, you must SH aerial/roll in order to hold A and begin the movement. Walking will be quicker for tech chasing 100% of the time.

ZeroFox

Smash Lord
Seems useful to be honest. But hey, even if it doesn't serve a purpose in terms of the meta game, at least it will probably make your opponents lol.

J4pu

Smash Champion
if nothing else it's an easier way to use this to taunt for characters who don't have anything to charge between stocks.
and as I stated many times before: if this becomes 2nd nature for you to the point where instead of ever considering walking you just naturally do this, and your char has a good one, i only see this helping.

M15t3R E

Smash Master
Except the fact you can hold the A during the move that starts the tech-chase. :ohwell:

Nice logics again ;)
First of all, you won't always know that you are about to need to tech chase until you actually perform the move. Even if you guess correctly that you will need to tech chase, and therefore hold A during the move before the tech chase, you won't have to move very far to catch your opponent. Having to input these awkward c-stick commands and then letting go of A and then using your follow-up attack is just much more difficult and pointless if you don't have to move more than several character lengths to follow-up after a tech chase.

SuSa

First of all, you won't always know that you are about to need to tech chase until you actually perform the move. Even if you guess correctly that you will need to tech chase, and therefore hold A during the move before the tech chase, you won't have to move very far to catch your opponent. Having to input these awkward c-stick commands and then letting go of A and then using your follow-up attack is just much more difficult and pointless if you don't have to move more than several character lengths to follow-up after a tech chase.
People are starting to piss me off with the "more difficult" thing. Yah, so you have to do one **** thing thats actually difficult in Brawl, get over it. :ohwell:

Pointless, not if you're using it correctly. Obviously if you could walk a single step or two thats faster...

oliwonder

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-7363-3324-0043
I can agree with havokk in that this way of doing the pivot boost is not that more difficult than doing it the normal way. It really depends on the person though. It's useful to know that there are different ways in doing these techs, and it's even better if you're able to do all the different ways.

This way of doing the pivot boost may seem awkward, but the only way to know how useful it can be is to actually put it into practice.

PaintedGhost

Smash Journeyman
I found something hilarious. If your holding attack and pressing the Cstick in the upward direction you're facing, you'll kind of "spread your knees" if you do it fast enough, it'll look like your walking in place! Mindgames anyone?

Edit: If you crouch its the ULTIMATE Tbag, lol

Top Bottom