• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The official Pivot Walking (and PW Crouching) thread.

Doopliss_Swe

Smash Journeyman

CHOMPY

Sinbad: King of Sindria
NNID
Chompy621
Good thing Diddy can do the DoopWalk effectivly but I dont know If I wanna put it into my gameplay style. Still looks funny though lol

Tenki

Smash Hero
PW'ing is slower than walking because to initiate it, you must SH aerial/roll in order to hold A and begin the movement. Walking will be quicker for tech chasing 100% of the time.
You can do it out of tilts :l

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
I swear, if we found the new wavedash in Brawl, no one would use it because it's "too many buttons," or "too hard to use."

This technique has definite uses and can do nothing but help if used efficiently.

hyperhopper

Smash Ace
Don't CPUs do this? Or am I not understanding this right...because I do this a lot, and I just move the control stick like I'm doing a high forward tilt (diagonal) and move it back and for forth, resulting in the charcter turning around smoothly and it looks pretty cool too, since you can move across the stage while doing it.

I think that's how you desynch with Ice Climbers and it's a important part of Link's game. I could not be understanding this though.

EDIT: Like this? Only you attack out of it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smF3iwIX1os
how did you do the issusion right after being on the ledge?

The_NZA

Smash Lord
thats what i found too james...the higher the angle, the less likely I am to screw it up

Crazy Cloud

Smash Journeyman
This has probably been figured out already. When you already have attack held down and you're in the middle of a walk, you can press back and down on the c-stick to dash immediately out of the run.

The_NZA

Smash Lord
anyone find any applications? Cause if i were marth or pikachu, i'd incorporate it in to my game immediately. Ive found out how to get over the awkward controls to make it work. I set my R to attack so i can hold it easily while I do this.

Kyuubi9t

Smash Journeyman
can anyone tell my how you are supposed to hold the controller when you do this?? How am i supposed to hold A, hit the C-stick repeatedly, and walk all at the same time?? i would need like 2 thumbs to do this at the speed that it would actually be useful, yet i hear nobody saying such things so im assuming im the only one who dont get it...

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
can anyone tell my how you are supposed to hold the controller when you do this?? How am i supposed to hold A, hit the C-stick repeatedly, and walk all at the same time?? i would need like 2 thumbs to do this at the speed that it would actually be useful, yet i hear nobody saying such things so im assuming im the only one who dont get it...
How bout doin it the manual way by slowly tapping back and forth walking.

Kyuubi9t

Smash Journeyman
How bout doin it the manual way by slowly tapping back and forth walking.
wow ninja link himself just quoted me :chuckle: i love your diddy kong man.... anyway corrupt fate from the pit boards just solved my problem

*he recommended that i switch L or R to attack, and i dont use R anyway so i did that. It works wonderfully and i like this technique, while i dont think its as groundbreaking as people are making it seem

Kyuubi9t

Smash Journeyman
LOL... when you hold the attack button similar to when you pivot walk, instead you run... you can press the c-stick straight up over and over again and it makes you so some sort of weird looking stuttering dash... i did it with marth and it just looks really funny. Doesnt look like it has a practical use its just fun hahaha!

edit: maybe if we continue to exploit ATs like this, and compare it to the wavedash, Nintendo will realize that it is futile to noobify smash bros, and make the next game more competitive

eevans

Smash Cadet
edit: maybe if we continue to exploit ATs like this, and compare it to the wavedash, Nintendo will realize that it is futile to noobify smash bros, and make the next game more competitive
or nintendo will try to make the next game even less competetive, not make another game at all or spend like 4 years fixing all possible bugs.

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
I'm disappointed in your Pits in this thread. I showed you all this like, forever ago. lol

sagemoon

Smash Lord
its linked in undr's video thread. and theres a thread "angelic stepping" in the pit forums. look it up.

Also, this guy WAY overcomplicates the tech. all you have to do is hit back and hold forward (can be done after any attack, even out of shield, out of a crouch, or even standing still if you do it right)

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
And just to add, characters that have a SlideStep, (Pit and Ganon) can buffer their Pivot Slide out of the SlideStep to get further range. Really handy against things such as extended grabs and long ranging laggy attacks.

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
And just to add, characters that have a SlideStep, (Pit and Ganon) can buffer their Pivot Slide out of the SlideStep to get further range. Really handy against things such as extended grabs and long ranging laggy attacks.
I have vids of putting pits method into practice. I'm bout to upload them soon.

Doopliss_Swe

Smash Journeyman
Oh my god, do no one read the OP?
1: The "change button to L/R/Z" suggestion is there.
2: "And please, don't come here saying "This is known already etc. etc.", unless the thing you're thinking about is executed the same way this is. This is not really completely new, it's just a new way to pivot a lot quickly." Angelic stepping is not executed the exact same way IIRC.

Btw, I'm not very active at this, so for all I care, this thread can die... but if people still feel like discussing it, go ahead.

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
Or PiSSHBair.

And what I meant was that we had nearly this same discussion before in the Pit forums. Only posted to remind the Pit players. =P

EDIT: And just to clarify since a few videos on YouTube have confused this...

The Angelic Step and the Pivot Slide are two different things. The Angelic Step is a variant of the Pivot Slide. It buffers a Pivot Slide from Pit's SlideStep (not sidestep), thus allowing extra distance.

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
I remember u Undrdog. Good Pit ^_^. Go to my thread.

Anyway yea hes right. Angelic step is basically a different way to start the Pivot Walking.

Hyper-Marth

Smash Cadet
Seeing as this thread is 29 pages long i didn't read all of them but i did find out something interesting for Marth... i only tested a couple other characters that benefit from Fox trot but it didn't work on them. When i had my L button set to attack to try pivot walking (which worked awesomely as a ZSS/Marth user) i found out that if you hold the attack button down on Marth and hold the direction you want to go (doesn't need to be a dash) and you mash down on the C-stick he will AUTO-Fox trot without flaw. This may be due to the properties of his down smash, it can work on the other characters but requires timing like a normal fox trot, With marth you can carelessly mash the C-stick down to fox trot, i'll buy an SD card from Wal-Mart right now (Because i needed one anyway) and show you in a bit ^_^

Sorry if this is already known, 29 pages is a big read for an Art Major :p

LOL... when you hold the attack button similar to when you pivot walk, instead you run... you can press the c-stick straight up over and over again and it makes you so some sort of weird looking stuttering dash... i did it with marth and it just looks really funny. Doesnt look like it has a practical use its just fun hahaha!
I think this is what i was talking about, i just pushed down instead of up Lol... works both ways

Kiyuzoh

Smash Cadet
As for the fox-trotting thing, I found this a while ago, but it was too useless to really mention. Just hold attack, start a regular dash, and hit forward on the C-stick (I use forward, apparently other directions work as well) with the timing of a fox-trot. These weird dashes are quicker and have less distance.

One that really stands out is Captain Falcon's. His regular fox-trot takes 3 dashes to get across FD, while this new fox-trot takes an excess of 15 dashes! This can be used to confuse your enemies, mindgames, etc., but don't think they'll just sit there in amazement at your dashing. Remember that you're Captain Falcon, and what situation he's in in Brawl. (Not a grammar error [ in in ]; if you read it, I had to put that for the sentence to make sense. Screw you grammar Nazis! :bee:) Use it sparingly as a mix-up, Falcon mains, and everyone else can use it as an alternate taunt.

Barge

All I want is a custom title
I agree with IxxI
I never use this unless I'm in a friendly match/or taunting.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
I think this is being under estimated.
You guys wanted a wave dash, well here it is!
It gos faster than a walk for some characters (just like the wavedash) and allows you to preform any attack out of it just like the wavedash.

Also, about the stuttering dash effect, you can pull out a forward smash out of that by jamming c stick fast enough. I was able to pull this off with Marth, but only marth and could not get a stuttering dash with anyone else.

Doopliss_Swe

Smash Journeyman
So, now that it's been roughly 7 months since I started this thread, is somebody still using this technique?

Doopliss_Swe

Smash Journeyman
Well, nah, but I was just too curious >.<' Congrats on becoming a moderator btw (or were you already one back then? I forgot XD)

Top Bottom