• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The official Pivot Walking (and PW Crouching) thread.

SuSa

Banned via Administration
I'm really into this because it helps 3 characters I love to play as :3

Link's Pivot Boost is way easier, and more useful.

IC can desynch from it.

Marth's is insanely fast.... INSANE.... and his metagame already revolves around walking places, imagine sliding across FD in like 3 seconds.... >.> no joke

Edit:

I won't be editing this vid xD it has my commentary starting at around 4 minutes into it, I'm sick so I sound really weird, my camera's sound sucks, so I sound even weirder.

In the youtube vid I'll put a * next to people with a good one, and also

Char name - time of appearence - * (or not)

Doopliss_Swe

Smash Journeyman
you're right, Marth DID get a slight boost from it too... maybe i'll create a "uses" section later.

Uffe

Smash Hero
Call it Doopliss Walking, or DW. Dooplis sounds ridiculous, and so is this discovery. =D

EDIT: Plus, the finder needs recognizion for his discover! (Which means he should decide on the name, no?)
I definitely agree with NAKEDeDeDe. And I was thinking Doopliss Walking, too. :laugh: But yeah, he should name it.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
I think it's safe to say this is one of the more important discoveries made with Brawl...I mean if characters like Marth actually slide more...whoa.

Marth is pretty slidy-like, right? If so, wouldn't someone like Luigi be able to make even MORE of a slide? Looking forward to the videos from Havokk...and does it matter how fast you do it, like does it affect how much you would slide?

Doopliss_Swe

Smash Journeyman
Luigi, as I said, seems to get a VERY SMALL slideboost from this. And btw, try doing dashgrabs and pivot grabs from this, might be good.

SuSa

Marth is the best for this, Luigi is sort of... sucky..

Falcon seems to be the worst for this.

I'm saving the video, then hosting it on youtube. It should be up within an hour, then you'll be able to watch all 10~ minutes of it and comment on it yourself.

ps: With perfect timing you can Dash > Dash > Dash ( Forgot what its called... Fox Trot? ) faster then you can with Dash > Release > Dash > Release > repeat

Its only a very small, small difference however

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Marth is pretty slidy-like, right? If so, wouldn't someone like Luigi be able to make even MORE of a slide?
I tried it. Yes, it does. Luigi slides like 1/4th of the way of FD... and it's so easy to do it repeatedly.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I present to you Brawl's version of wavedashing.

EDIT: Bit of an exaggeration. It's not -exactly- 1/4th... a bit less.

But Luigi can't really do anything with this though since his F-Smash stops his movement.

Doopliss_Swe

Smash Journeyman
Marth is the best for this, Luigi is sort of... sucky..

Falcon seems to be the worst for this.

I'm saving the video, then hosting it on youtube. It should be up within an hour, then you'll be able to watch all 10~ minutes of it and comment on it yourself.
Kind of ironic as I discovered it with Ct. Falcon XD

Also, if you pres sup on C instead of up/back, your character will instantainously start a dash, might have it's uses, no?

ndayday

BRoomer
Amazing...simply amazing. Can't wait to see how this will turn out in the long run.

And I though of a new name, for the IC's.

SADSing. (Spinning and De-synch) or (Sliding and De-synch) =P Not very good, but whatever thinking of names is fun.

Doopliss_Swe

Smash Journeyman
Read up, I edited my post.
Yeah, but what i meant is maybe doing a running upsmash out of a walk. That can be very surprising if you're facing a Ct.falcon, right? XD Also, seems as though it's easy to do pivot dtilts with this...oh my god, what CAN'T you do with this XD

ndayday

BRoomer
...oh my god, what CAN'T you do with this XD
Characters with a great grab (Jiggly, Ness) could use it for a surprise grab, you could also hit someone, they don't tech, you start doing whatever this thing is going to be called a safe distance from them, and grab them. I'm liking this thing...a lot. If Luigi really can slide 1/4 of the stage, then he could do a lot of great stuff..dash attack out of it, grab to U-air at low percents, etc....and he'd be able to do it from a big distance too if his slide is in fact 1/4 of the stage.

EDIT: Okay, a little less then 1/4th...whatever. However, Grabbing doesn't stop your momentum a lot does it?

SuSa

Video is 4 minutes away from saving. Then I need to host it and wait for youtube to recognize it. (So maybe an hour from now? XD or more)

Notes:

Doing dash grabs from this works.
Pivot tilts work from this well.
Some characters lose a lot of speed (stupid Falcon)
Others make Sonics Walk (not Dash) seem slow. *coughs* Marth *coughs*
Some metagames will help from this (Marth/Link/Sonic/IC to name 4...)
Others wont (Snake/Falcon/Ganon to name 3)
This is epic nontheless.
It's pretty easy to do.

Now everyone that this affects is going to be spinning in circles like ballerinas and it's going to look funny and we'll all enjoy Brawl for how stupid it now looks.

Everyone

Do the Doo Walk

PND

Smash Champion
I think WAFFLing is the best name for this, haha ^_^

I'm playing around with it now, I can't wait to see the video of it.

ndayday

BRoomer
Everyone

Do the Doo Walk
I like that name. :) And I can't wait for the video.

So to summarize, at the moment it helps the ICs, Link, Marth, Sonic, and maybe Luigi. You can use it to tilt, dance around like a ballerina, grab, do smash attacks, slide, and...dance around like a ballerina. Epic.

SuSa

To summarize:

It helps IC Desynch, Link/Marth pivot boost around (both their dashes pretty much suck) Sonic's Walk is about 1.5 times faster, you can do tilts/smashes whenever, you can do the pivot, quickly stop it, and do a reverse tilt (dtilt is easier, utilt is hard -.-), you can stop and go straight into a grab/dash grab (useful for mindgames possibly), you can slide. You can easily pivot a DSMASH. :3 thats useful for chars that hit 1 side, then the other. (hmm.. both Marth and Link :D)

And you dance around like a ballerina while singing "Do the doop Walk!"

Edit:

video is 50% uploaded to Youtube, its going pretty quickly. It's going to take some time for youtube to register it however... >.>

Doopliss_Swe

Smash Journeyman
utilt is quite easy if you tilt the controller up/forward ;D Probably the fasters way to pivot Utilts...

Tell yo what, we call it "Doop walking", and then we can sing Do the "Doop walk" ;D

Smasher89

Smash Lord
Got the desynch to work a couple of tries with releasing A and smashing the Cstick, it seems to have a really small time window though, and you´ll have to be accurate with the cstick angle...

Doopliss_Swe

Smash Journeyman
Would someone care about making a list with all characters, mentioning what it does for them, if anything? So I can put it up in the OP.

Doopliss_Swe

Smash Journeyman
Dooplis:

In my video I have it with every character, the video is almost fully finished on youtube, then read the description.

** = good
-- = Bad
Good, I've already prepared with character names. And If I forgot something in the OP, please tell me, I was rushing it a little.

Waffling is not a bad name, might change it to that later if Doop Walking isn't a hit.

SuSa

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOIe7tE9TPI

Video will be done shortly, simply read the description

I feel I forgot ROB and possibly Pikachu ^^; hehe... woops. (then again, I might have done then, I don't remember)

Imaging talking to M2K and being all like "So what do you think of waffling" >.>.... oh the lulz that would ensue...

@BengalsRZ

Your "Glide Walking" is "Pivot Boosting" which are both the same thing. This Doop Walk is simply a faster, seamless, easier way to do the above mentioned.

Doopliss_Swe

Smash Journeyman
Sounds like another way of doing the ground phase of "Glide Walking:" http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=206328

Can you confirm that?
It is a little like that, but it keeps, and sometimes even gains, forward momentum. Or rather, the big difference, from what I can tell, is that you can keep on doing it for as long as you like, and thereby gain a lot of speed by doing this instead of walking with, for example, Sonic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOIe7tE9TPI

Video will be done shortly, simply read the description

I feel I forgot ROB and possibly Pikachu ^^; hehe... woops. (then again, I might have done then, I don't remember)

Imaging talking to M2K and being all like "So what do you think of waffling" >.>.... oh the lulz that would ensue...

@BengalsRZ

Your "Glide Walking" is "Pivot Boosting" which are both the same thing. This Doop Walk is simply a faster, seamless, easier way to do the above mentioned.
YT says that your video was removed because of violation of user rights... D:

PND

Smash Champion
I'm gonna call it waffling -_-

I've been messing around with Jiggs and I've managed to implement it a bit. She should never be on the ground, but it allows her to turn around even quicker which she touches land. So I can nair to WAFFL'd RAR bair them seamlessly. I can also nair to utilt, and I'm trying to mess with new Rest setups. This could potentially help her a bit. I'll mess with some others in a bit, but this actually seems like a useful tech for her. :)

Thanks Doopliss!

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
Yes, you do gain momentum when doing a glide walk. Havok answered my question, though.

Thanks, this sounds interesting I'll definitely test this.

SuSa

This video has been removed due to terms of use violation.

I have to cut it in half and post two sections >.> lol...

Section 1

Mario --- Kirby

Section 2

Meta Knight --- Sonic

Vids will be up shortly -.-

ndayday

BRoomer
Since we're all so anxious for Havokk's vid, I made this little animation really quick.

Credits go to Havokk, (for name?) Loopliss (finding the AT), and the rippers I used the sprites from. =D

Just a quick demonstrational video.

Enjoy!

Top Bottom