• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Yoshi FAQ/Q&A Thread -- [Please look here before posting!]

Yikarur

Smash Master
Yoshis Super Armor works on moves with 76km/h Knockback (in US Version its Miles/h but I don't know the exactly Number)
You can't really rely on Yoshis Super Armor.
Example: DK's fsmash goes through our SA at 31% (Without Stale Multiplier -> Trainingsmode) and DK's Fair goes through at 57%. On Many Multi Hit Moves the SA reacts strange.
Marios UpB as an example breaks the super armor after one hit of the upB no matter when the UpB hits.
also: The SA resist one hit and the second hit sends Yoshi flying.
But that doesn't count for every Multi Hit Move. (Yoshis Dair etc.)

Yoshis Super Armor is weak in Brawl - too weak.
You have to know exactly how much knockback your opponents aerials have.
Otherwise use Rising Air Dodge for recovery xD

Furbs

Smash Journeyman
we should get a list because super armour i feel is much better than an airdodge, sense its basicaly crouch cancelling in the air and can be used to trade positions

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: I agree, but the main problem is testing.

Training mode has been shown to be statistically different from multiplayer mode and without actual CC to compare to the double jump (as Bringer used in Melee) combined with the really wacky stale move degeneration (mostly focusing on knockback), testing can become really really difficult. I'm not discouraging testing by any means, but I'm trying to find a sort of correlation between Yoshi's jump and some other physical property in order to aid in testing and I haven't come up with anything yet. If anybody else finds something, I would be more than happy to do the testing myself using their method, if I had to.

bigman40

Smash Master
:yoshi: I agree, but the main problem is testing.

Training mode has been shown to be statistically different from multiplayer mode and without actual CC to compare to the double jump (as Bringer used in Melee) combined with the really wacky stale move degeneration (mostly focusing on knockback), testing can become really really difficult. I'm not discouraging testing by any means, but I'm trying to find a sort of correlation between Yoshi's jump and some other physical property in order to aid in testing and I haven't come up with anything yet. If anybody else finds something, I would be more than happy to do the testing myself using their method, if I had to.
Hack your Wii, and add the code "decay in training mode."

Yikarur

Smash Master
I'm working on a list but the main problem is that with the trainingsmode.
A Decay in Training Mode Code would be perfect xD
Does it exist? and would is run on Pal Brawl too? xD

.Marik

is a social misfit
I have a question.

Do you guys always egg throw before jumping? Is it of utmost importance that you do so?

I always jump, without throwing eggs from the ledge to space and whatnot.

And I tried it for a bit yesterday, and I kept using up my jumps when I tried.

Maybe I jump before egg-throwing, messing up the sequence of the double jump...

And Tap Jump should be off, correct? I forgot what the disadvantages/advantages were of having it either off or on.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Mix it up. Always important.

Sometimes you need to space.

Sometimes you can trick people into thinking you've used your jump up and only have eggs.

I actually taunt by recovering with just eggs sometimes.

Important thing is to always mix it up, though.

auroreon

Smash Ace
I personally have tap jump on, I know many other Yoshi mains here would call me crazy for doing so. But I just feel like I have more control with having it on.

Tap Jump Pros:
Much easier to DR
Easier to ETS

Cons:
Using eggs without losing your DJ is difficult, and if you mess up ur screwed... I know that this hinder me a lot not being able to egg before DJ, but I don't want to give up tap jump for it.
ECE is also easier and is less risky, but if you know what ur doing there isn't really any risk with tap jump.

Shiri is right about mixing it up, its one of the most important things to remember with Yoshi. If your recovery is predictable, you will get edge guarded. Also given Yoshis moveset, variety truly is the spice of life, because without variety there will be death.

.Marik

is a social misfit
Yeah, I jump with X instead of Tapping anyways...

Thanks for answering. But it feels more natural to me having Tap Jump off. :yoshi:

Chaco

Never Logs In
Keeping tap jump off is the best option. Considering I was one of the few who purely tapped into a while ago. I realized it's as easy to DR without tapping if you practice it, and ETS is a **** ton easier to form habits with if you use a L or R for the jump. It's a natural feel for me now, even when I play with tap on, I still use L for ETS. But I also find it easier to vary your predictability using tap off. So you don't always just have to recover. You have more offstage options, thus proving the point Auro said.

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
:yoshi: I'm afraid I have absolutely no idea what you are saying here.
XD

My bad. I was rushing to get the message posted before i went to sleep.:ohwell:

Shield-dodge into the side of a stage and use upB, is that a new or old AT?

Sharky

Smash Master
XD

My bad. I was rushing to get the message posted before i went to sleep.:ohwell:

Shield-dodge into the side of a stage and use upB, is that a new or old AT?

not sure exactly what you mean, but as a guess: roll to the very side of the stage, use egg lay, and fall of the stage while using it as a result? I know you only said egg toss in your newer post, but you mentioned neutral b (I think) in your first post, and I know that this works with egg lay (but I wouldn't know about egg toss).

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
not sure exactly what you mean, but as a guess: roll to the very side of the stage, use egg lay, and fall of the stage while using it as a result? I know you only said egg toss in your newer post, but you mentioned neutral b (I think) in your first post, and I know that this works with egg lay (but I wouldn't know about egg toss).
Right.

Toss you grab the ledge and it cancels the move, lay you don't.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Oh, okay.

Yeah, if that's what you're talking about, then yeah, this has been around since 1999. D:

bigman40

Smash Master
I think I found something very interesting about GW. I was watching a few matches of bwett, and in the video below, at 1:22 - 1:25, Bwett did an egglay on GW's Usmash, but it never connected. Do you think there's some something special in that move to where it can't get grabbed?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ao6Wt33GSY

Also, LOL that this is the same video he posted on the video thread! xD **** Yo Nine Son!

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Hm, I think something similar happens why you try to grab Lucas while he is f-smashing...

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: I'm pretty sure Mr. Game and Watch has invulnerability on the helmet when he's upsmashing.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
I've been using Egg Lay much more lately, actually. It can lead to some surprise set-ups/gimps, and it absolutely owns Link and the Spacies over the edge.

Nul

Smash Apprentice
I have a small theory with G&Ws Usmash vs Egg Lay, I had that happen a couple times in testing, but other results were much more appealing than not connecting or placing G&W in an egg.

Others tests support my theory, but I'm going to test a bit more.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
It's almost impossible. It's hard enough to do it on the ground. It's not really reliable. =/

bigman40

Smash Master
It's almost impossible. It's hard enough to do it on the ground. It's not really reliable. =/
Cause the timing to get the cancel is only 1 frame after the 4-5 frames the actual grab happens (yeah....pretty dumb isn't it?). I had only one method that was the most reliable way to get this cancel to happen, but it's regarding a lot of factors that it wouldn't be as useful since if 1 factor might be off, the cancel can miss completely.

auroreon

Smash Ace
I spent hours in training mode trying to force a cancel, its such a shame... it would be SO useful.

Chaco

Never Logs In
Ohh, I like how NL uses Bair continuosly to push off the stage. Seems like it works, this is why I like Pros to upload vids of Yoshi. :]]]

Chaco

Never Logs In
I've got a statement. Lately, my Yoshi has been coming together finally. Seems like he finally has everything going for him. I've became smarter, using his full arsenal, and am not having trouble killing anymore. I gotta thank the other Yoshi's; well the ones I asked for help. :]

Anxys

Smash Rookie
I have a question are DR and DT exactly the same or is DT a DR with a fox trot?

bigman40

Smash Master
To further ask this, are Dragonic Trot (DT) and Dragonic Reverse just two different names used on the same technique? If so, which name is the official name.
DT is the same thing as a DR, but it's just with a fox trot too. Nothing that special about it other than a dash canceled by the DR. The real name for it is just a DR.

Top Bottom