• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Old Diddy Social/General/Q&A Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zinoto

Smash Lord
For Olimar:

I had trouble with this MU before, but if you look for P1's post about it in the MU thread it really helps. Basically, you have to be aggro in the first part of the match to get a significant lead. It's hard for us to approach Olimar because of his pikmin (our bananas are linear and so are his pikmin), however, it's difficult for him to approach us (lack of range and slow movement). If you pretty much make him approach you, it won't be good for him. Olimar is terrible with pressure, so once he approaches and you get in, STAY IN. Even though it's hard to use bananas in this MU you still need them. I saw you tried to approach way to much without them. Try coming in diagonally (i.e. short-hopped naner throws). Also you gotta knock those pikmin off, again I recommend what P1 said, use short hopped nairs (you can z-drop nanas and nair to recatch them). You either have to be all over him or nowhere near him, in between doesn't work.

For Sonic:

This match-up is one of those that you lose the first time, look back at it later thinking "how the **** did I lose that?", and then learn it. Sonic is really good at punishing mistakes and seeing the Olimar match you played, you probably approached a lot. That's pretty much the only way Sonic can win, he has to punish your approaches. However, nanas beat everything he has. He has no projectile, so literally wait for him to approach and punish with nanas. He will be very tricky in trying to bait some obvious move. So long as you don't throw out random air dodges and make careless mistakes, it should be an easy MU for you. Oh yea, remember that he won't trip in spin dash unless you hit him with the banana. If it's on the ground already, he'll just run right over it.

Sails

Smash Ace
Here's the biggest bit of advice I can give you straight from an Olimar main (Icylight for the curious) that taught me the matchup...

Do not forward glide toss when Olimar is on the ground (Which I saw you do in the video). Every time you do this Olimar is going to grab you out of it because it's unsafe on shield and his grab range is ridiculous. If you absolutely must throw an approaching banana, short hop + forward throw. The banana will still hit Olimar and he won't be able to grab you afterwards.

Other than that, Olimar offstage is hilarious. If he's recovering at ledge level, simply run off the stage and fair at the same time. Grab the ledge afterwards and he's dead. If he's recovering high, jump and fair him anyways. Keep him offstage and watch for his second jump, and if you can keep him off long enough that he finally uses it, you've won so long as you grab that ledge.

And Sonic...it's really simple to be honest. Just like Zinoto said, don't approach. Sit in shield when he's approaching, feel free to spot dodge his moves since ours is broken, then hit him with a banana. Followup with whatever and repeat. It's boring, but once you get a solid lead you can feel free to become aggressive. I three-stocked a pretty good MD/VA Sonic in Loser's Round 4 (I think it was 4 >_>) at KTAR because of this strategy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom