• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Physics of Attacks (DI included) updated: 1/09/09

Rizen

Smash Legend
I've been holding the opsite direction of the launch, not curving the momemtum, all this time! THIS WILL REALLY HELP! Thanks!

Ace1208

Smash Rookie
So I know this topic is insanely old but I have a question... when you say that SDI instantly changes direction do you mean REGARDLESS of intended diection...?

For instance, if I get hit off stage by say, Ganon's Dair but I SDI'ed it upwards, would I fly upwards intstead?

SCOTU

Smash Hero
it immediately changes your POSITION, not direction. If you were hit by a ganon Dair, and SDI'd up, you'd move upwards a little, then get shot downwards.

Ace1208

Smash Rookie
ooooooh ok that makes much more sense... I'll have to start trying to put DI into my game, this really helped me understand it, thank you :]

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
Mine are different.

Speed ( post lag, pre lag, and the duration of the move)
Priority
range (disjointed hitboxes, range of move, etc)
knockback
hitstun (brawl lol)
percent of damage

and you can add invincibility if the move has any.

Those are my six. I was gonna make a thread about them a few weeks ago, but then i started thinking that it would be too late for one since the game has already been evalutated till death.
Priority doesn't exist. Hitstun might as well not either. Percent doesn't matter all that much if it's safe enough. <<

it immediately changes your POSITION, not direction. If you were hit by a ganon Dair, and SDI'd up, you'd move upwards a little, then get shot downwards.
Which explains why everytime I am peach I occasionally hit the stage from attack that should have sent me flying. Survived DDD's Utilt like that once.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
Priority doesn't exist. Hitstun might as well not either. Percent doesn't matter all that much if it's safe enough. <<
First off: this is not a thread for this kind of debate.

Second off: you clearly didn't read the OP here, as Priority DOES exist. There are 3 tiers of people understanding priority:

Bottom tier: people who think there's something programmed in that says "this attack beats that attack" <-- they're wrong.

Mid Tier: People who think priority doesn't exist because it's an illusion caused by several things like hitbox placement. <-- interestingly enough, this is more wrong than bottom tier

Top Tier: People who know that priority DOES exist, it's just broken up into two categories, the kind caused by placement of hitboxes relative to hurtboxes, and the damage and type of attack a move is, which actually is very much like a value programmed in that says "this attack beats that attack". <-- these people are right.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
First off: this is not a thread for this kind of debate.

Second off: you clearly didn't read the OP here, as Priority DOES exist. There are 3 tiers of people understanding priority:

Bottom tier: people who think there's something programmed in that says "this attack beats that attack" <-- they're wrong.

Mid Tier: People who think priority doesn't exist because it's an illusion caused by several things like hitbox placement. <-- interestingly enough, this is more wrong than bottom tier

Top Tier: People who know that priority DOES exist, it's just broken up into two categories, the kind caused by placement of hitboxes relative to hurtboxes, and the damage and type of attack a move is, which actually is very much like a value programmed in that says "this attack beats that attack". <-- these people are right.
Blah, true. I should've been more specific by saying that the actual type of priority that he was talking about was wrong. I made a wording error. <<

Gah, I correct people on this all the time, and here I go making the same mistake, haha.

Godzilla140

Smash Rookie
thanks that was alot of help still got a lot to figure out but helped me out with the basics thanks again

Tomosumi

Smash Rookie
I had a question, for an example someone is using marth and the opponent is using pikachu. Pickachu uses d-a smash and your caught in it. Is it possible to escape from the d-a smash by moving your stick 180 degrees constantly? Like repeating <- ^ -> and back and forth?

:phone:

Top Bottom