• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Pig Masked Army's Fearless Leader: Claus/The Masked Man

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
Masked Man was Porky's puppet. I wouldn't say that he did more, as Porky was essentially the main villain of Mother 3. You do have a point with Giygas, however, Giygas is far from feasible as a character due to not even having a definite and comprehendible form.

And I am aware of Flint's limited role; I just find a badass cowboy wielding nothing but a 2x4 to be more cool in itself than the forced concept of a cyborg masked being with an arm cannon, energy sword, and mechanical bat wings. :p It's like they tried too hard to make him "cool"...:laugh:
Eh... It's arguable but he certainly did more. Porky's kinda like we talked about Bowser in DDR Mario Mix: A last minute stunt, where-as Claus actually does try to beat Lucas to all the needles and holds a damn big plot point. I get what you mean, but honestly? It's less than even Andross in Adventures or Ganondorf in Twilight Princess. Porky just kinda came out of nowhere asides from his controlling and was all like "I WILL RULE ALL"... only to get himself trapped. To top that, he wasn't even the final boss.

Honestly, they really didn't: I'm not sure if you played the game or not but that's like saying Wolf's role changing a bit around between the games was "Forced" and even that had more force than that.

Though, I honestly think Flint would be an assist trophy. Flint for AT with Claus as a playable character and more Mother 1 music? Especially Paradise Line? Sure.

Cowboy? Dillon says hi. ;)
Actually scrath what I said and add Dillon as well, then we can have our fill of cowboys and badasses.

edit: Also with stages, just have Paradise Line and bring Fourside and New Pork City back. That practically represents the entire series.

D

Deleted member

Eh... It's arguable but he certainly did more. Porky's kinda like we talked about Bowser in DDR Mario Mix: A last minute stunt, where-as Claus actually does try to beat Lucas to all the needles and holds a damn big plot point. I get what you mean, but honestly? It's less than even Andross in Adventures or Ganondorf in Twilight Princess. Porky just kinda came out of nowhere asides from his controlling and was all like "I WILL RULE ALL"... only to get himself trapped. To top that, he wasn't even the final boss.
Uh...Porky is pretty much responsible for the world going to crap. You know that, right?
Masked Man was a mere puppet to Porky that did his bidding. The only time Claus did anything on his own as his time as the Masked Man was at the very end when he killed himself to atone for his evil actions after he regained his memory.

Aside from that, Porky's existence in the game is built up as early as Chapter 4 (under the alias "King P"), heavily hinted in Chapter 5, and outright confirmed in Chapter 7. Porky was meant to be a secret, yet was given enough hints early on to the point that he wasn't "a last minute stunt" like Bowser in DDR Mario Mix. Bowser had no point in the story; the only reason Mother 3 had a story was due to Porky.

Honestly, they really didn't: I'm not sure if you played the game or not but that's like saying Wolf's role changing a bit around between the games was "Forced" and even that had more force than that.
You misunderstood me.
I'm saying in my opinion, they did too much to try to make Masked Man seem "cool" by giving him so many things, when something as simple as a tough cowboy with a 2X4 is cool while not being overkill.
Sometimes simplicity is just better.

Though, I honestly think Flint would be an assist trophy. Flint for AT with Claus as a playable character and more Mother 1 music? Especially Paradise Line? Sure.
Never said Flint would be in before Claus. I only said that I would rather have Flint than Claus.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Uh...Porky is pretty much responsible for the world going to crap. You know that, right?
Masked Man was a mere puppet to Porky that did his bidding. The only time Claus did anything on his own as his time as the Masked Man was at the very end when he killed himself to atone for his evil actions after he regained his memory.

Aside from that, Porky's existence in the game is built up as early as Chapter 4 (under the alias "King P"), heavily hinted in Chapter 5, and outright confirmed in Chapter 7. Porky was meant to be a secret, yet was given enough hints early on to the point that he wasn't "a last minute stunt" like Bowser in DDR Mario Mix. Bowser had no point in the story; the only reason Mother 3 had a story was due to Porky.
Yeah, I know, but really Porky just kind-of... sits there, much to his role in Earthbound (Except more relevant this time around for sure: I will highly agree on that case.) where-as Masked Man practically leads the army, the party thinks Claus is dead at first (Which his role at that does matter), and while being unable to choose, does a lot of the actions as a puppet. Plus it's not like he's being fully functional while Porky is sitting there with some joystick commanding him. It's more like Porky and the Pig Army made a robot and went "go pull the needles while I sit here and watch the world crumble away" - It's about as much as the guy who leads the end of the world destruction in Nocturne compared to... well okay, that game is hard to pin a true main villain, but I hope my point made sense regardless.

How much of a puppet he was is debatable, but it's not enough to say a fully hollow character.

You misunderstood me.
I'm saying in my opinion, they did too much to try to make Masked Man seem "cool" by giving him so many things
And I'm not allowed to reply to an opinion with my own two cents? Especially as a hopeful game producer in the future? Honestly, there's easily a lot of characters that I think overdo it compared to him. I think the approach was more "Lifeless killing machine" than "Cool" - That's the feel I got, but hey, we're all entitled to our own opinions.

Flint's still neat, though.

Never said Flint would be in before Claus. I only said that I would rather have Flint than Claus.
Yeah I know. I was just pointing out that I think he'd still make a cool Assist. We all have our improbable characters we want. I'd bring up more but I don't need to derail it.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
If we do get masked man associate him with the Strong One theme. It his battle theme and just pure awesomeness.

D

Deleted member

Yeah, I know, but really Porky just kind-of... sits there, much to his role in Earthbound (Except more relevant this time around for sure: I will highly agree on that case.) where-as Masked Man practically leads the army, the party thinks Claus is dead at first (Which his role at that does matter), and while being unable to choose, does a lot of the actions as a puppet. Plus it's not like he's being fully functional while Porky is sitting there with some joystick commanding him. It's more like Porky and the Pig Army made a robot and went "go pull the needles while I sit here and watch the world crumble away" - It's about as much as the guy who leads the end of the world destruction in Nocturne compared to... well okay, that game is hard to pin a true main villain, but I hope my point made sense regardless.

How much of a puppet he was is debatable, but it's not enough to say a fully hollow character.
Then wouldn't that be comparable to someone like Hades from Kid Icarus Uprising? He essentially uses the Underworld Army and the Medusa clone to do his dirty work while he reaps the reward (masses of souls to make him stronger). He only steps in directly to confront Pit in the final showdown, and a curb-stomp showdown shortly before.

And I'm not allowed to reply to an opinion with my own two cents? Especially as a hopeful game producer in the future? Honestly, there's easily a lot of characters that I think overdo it compared to him. I think the approach was more "Lifeless killing machine" than "Cool" - That's the feel I got, but hey, we're all entitled to our own opinions.

Flint's still neat, though.
When you respond to my opinion on "it's like they tried too hard to make him seem cool" with "they really didn't, that's like saying Wolf's changing roles is forced", that's not stating your opinion; that's essentially saying my opinion is wrong and giving reasons as to why it is. :/
Now, mentioning the "lifeless killing machine" approach is stating an opinion, and I respect it.

Yeah I know. I was just pointing out that I think he'd still make a cool Assist. We all have our improbable characters we want. I'd bring up more but I don't need to derail it.
Ok.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Then wouldn't that be comparable to someone like Hades from Kid Icarus Uprising? He essentially uses the Underworld Army and the Medusa clone to do his dirty work while he reaps the reward (masses of souls to make him stronger). He only steps in directly to confront Pit in the final showdown, and a curb-stomp showdown shortly before.
I actually didn't play uprising yet, so may we bring this back up once I do? This is actually an interesting point.

Now, mentioning the "lifeless killing machine" approach is stating an opinion, and I respect it.
Yeah, sorry. I went a bit too far there. I wasn't trying to belittle you; if you think he's overdoing it, I'm in no room to say you're wrong. I do agree with you on simplicity of character design by the by. I'm actually writing an RPG right now and I can vouch that's an approach I like with characters.

We'll just leave it at that.

Also, for the rest of the posters in this thread, I'm thinking this sounds pretty good for Mother representation:
Characters: Lucas, Ness, (Very unlikely, as I even admit) Masked Man
Stages: Paradise Line (Mother 1)
Returning Stages: Fourside (Melee), New Pork City (Brawl)
Returning Boss: Pokey
Assist Trophies: Flint, Jeff

Thoughts?

D

Deleted member

I honestly don't care much about the Mother series, so anything is fine by me.
Though if it comes to characters, I'm going to be a bit biased in that I want Porky the most.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
D

Deleted member

Eh, not really.
If that's a stage, cool. If it's not, oh well.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
I more-or-less was just pointing to the song than the stage, though when it comes to trains, Mother is surely not the only place to go.

There's also Mt. Itoi. Honestly, while Mother 3 has a few interesting places, for stages, I want to see stuff pulled from Mother 1.

D3monicWolv3s

Smash Ace
And I am aware of Flint's limited role; I just find a badass cowboy wielding nothing but a 2x4 to be more cool in itself than the forced concept of a cyborg masked being with an arm cannon, energy sword, and mechanical bat wings. :p It's like they tried too hard to make him "cool"...:laugh:

Who needs flint, when we got lighter?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Flint beating everyone in his rage proofs he's the most awesome. Also, eating up that PK Love Ω from Claus means he's a boss.

Normally I don't even like cowboys, but Flint is an exception.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
I definitely wanna see this song. It's so chill yet gets a rise out of you at the same time.

SureNsync

Smash Journeyman
The Mother series may not be a series that is deserving of another rep by most and even Nintendo but they should make an acception for Claus/Masked Man because the universe of Smash Bros need more playable antagonists and it would be a piece of cake for the creation of his move set as they can look back to Mother 3 and go from there.

VictoryIsMudkipz

Smash Journeyman
Claus/Masked Man would be cool to see in the next Smash Bros. Game, the Earthbound/Mother Franchise could use a few more representations.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
As much as I don't want to admit it, Masked Man has the greatest amount of support for 3rd Mother series rep.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
As much as I don't want to admit it, Masked Man has the greatest amount of support for 3rd Mother series rep.
Would you rather prefer somebody else or nobody, then? Anyways, he has a cool and likely move-set, I noticed none of tilts, airs, grabs, and smashes are on their. If anyone wants to do it, by all means.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
That and he's easily the best choice I would say. Ninten is Ness basically and if he wasn't, I would be okay with that. Porky, while interesting, I've mentioned how he's really more of a side villain (Especially in Mother 2) and unlike Ridley he fits staying as a boss. Giygas is flat-out impossible, the party members don't offer much else to the table, and Masked Man is really not only a fan favorite but a character that I could see many Smash fans enjoying, and one of the few who really throws himself out there to an A-Game 110%. There's characters like Krystal and Bowser Jr who sometimes use their paintbrush/staff, but with Masked Man, we know he gives it his all, so even if he had some similar playstyles to Ness/Lucas, it'd still make a very interesting turn on the character.

Come on support! I kinda wish I could remake this thread considering the OP is never around.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
so even if he had some similar playstyles to Ness/Lucas, it'd still make a very interesting turn on the character.
With his MegaMan like appearance, I don't really expect him to play similar to Ness or Lucas. Granted, I haven't played Mother 3, so I'm only going by his looks.

Come on support! I kinda wish I could remake this thread considering the OP is never around.
Well, you can ask Mario & Sonic Guy.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
With his MegaMan like appearance, I don't really expect him to play similar to Ness or Lucas. Granted, I haven't played Mother 3, so I'm only going by his looks.
You should play it. It's not only easily my favorite but the true one I would recommend without hesitation.

He could play like them a little bit in terms of air moves, but his A moves would probably use the sword, and his B moves would consist of abusing his arsenal.

Well, you can ask Mario & Sonic Guy.
Has he allowed them before?

I might. What does everyone think about me taking helm of this thread?

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
Yes. That's how Super Smash Bros. Fan took over the Mega Man thread and gave it one of the best front posts here.

And that's also how I became the OP of the Tingle Thread. :p
Plus, how I became the Owner of the Lanky Thread, anyways, Mother 3 is awesome, I totally recommend it, Masked Man in the game has tons of move-set potential from the game, including the wings, arm canon, sword, lightning and a lot more.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793

For some reason this Fanart reminds me of Nazis :ohwell:. (I hope no one is offended. :ohwell:)

Yeah, the new thread title is good. :)

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332

Here's a cool pic to add to the OP, I'm going to be making a full move-set, soon so be ready.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
I guess I'll allow some making ups and some repeats. (since I don't want everyone to get a bunch of the same pig-masks) Adding you!
Also I looked at the supporter's list you should put it as this instead of colors, Pigmask Trooper, Navy Squeal, Pigmask captain, Pigmask Major, and what I am Pigmask Colonel and then the rest make up.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Also I looked at the supporter's list you should put it as this instead of colors, Pigmask Trooper, Navy Squeal, Pigmask captain, Pigmask Major, and what I am Pigmask Colonel and then the rest make up.
Changed that now. They can go for another rank if they want or just a color. I'm hoping to have the top four (the ones officially from the game) be some of the main supporters.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
Masked Man
Statistics
Masked Man is the strongest of the Mother characters in physical and PSI capabilities, yet is the slowest. Most of his attacks does significantly high damage. He may be the slowest of the Mother characters, but is still as fast as most mid weight characters maybe even a little faster.​
Specials
Neutral Special- PK Love Omega- Works like Lucas and Ness' neutral special, but is the strongest of the 3 it is a white silvery color. May stun opponent. Does about 26% fully charged
Side Special- Beam Cannon- Claus fires two beams out of his arm. The beam(s) is about as big as the Samus' uncharged shot, but causes bigger knockback and damage and leaves an electric effect to it. Does about 20% fully charged
Up Special- Cyborg Wings- Claus flies upwards with his wings, it's useful recovery, but very predictable, before the leap the wings coming out can damage the opponent does about 10% it the wings hit opponent
Down Special- PK Thunder- a giant thunderbolt comes down and strikes near to him, like Pikachu's but much quicker and it doesn't hit him Does about 15% damage.

Final Smash
Lightning Strike- Claus lifts his sword upwards then slashes it down, summoning Lightning to strike every opponent on the stage, the only downside to the final smash is that it is predictable and easily avoidable if you dodge at the right time. If the bolt touches you, you take about 75% damage and will most likely get KO.

Tilts, Smashes, Airs, and Grabs
Tilts
AAA- Masked Man on his first of the three attacks jabs with his arm cannon, then Headbutts and finally slashes with his iconic sword, which causes decent damage and knockback. Hit 1-10%, Hit 2-15% Hit 3-19%
Side Tilt- Masked Man quickly jabs with his arm cannon. like Samus. Does about 14% damage
Up Tilt- Masked Man does a light slash with his sword over his head. Does about 16% damage
Down Tilt- Kicks almost exactly how Ness does. Does about 12% damage
Dash Attack- When Dashing he will shoot I small PK love shot, if you attack. Does about 13% damage
Smashes
Side Smash- Masked Man stabs at the opponent with his sword, causing large damage and knockback. Does about 27% damage
Up Smash- Masked Man jabs his sword upwards, causing large knockback and Damage. Does about 26% damage
Down Smash- Masked Man slashes at both sides of him, causing large damage and knocback. Does about 24% damage
Airs
Forward Air- Masked Man slashes, vertically in the middle of the air and slashes again opposite way, Does about 22% damage with both attacks.​
Back Air- Masked Man quickly turns around shooting a blast of PK Love a. Does about 14% damage.​
Up Air- Masked Man shoots a blast from his arm cannon above his head, which dissipates quickly. Does about 12% damage.​
Down Air- Masked Man shoots a blast of PK love a, below him, Does about 14% damage.​
Grabs
Pummel- Once Masked Man grabs the opponent, he jabs at the opponent with his arm cannon. Does about 9% per hit.​
Forward Throw- Masked Man tosses the opponent forward and shoots at him with his arm cannon. does 16% damage​
Back Throw- Masked Man tosses the opponent behind him and shoots a small PK Love blast at him. does 15% damage​
Down Throw- Masked Man throws the opponent to the ground and shoots PK Love and an arm cannon blast at the same time. Can be chained to be done again. Does about 18% damage.​
Up Throw- Masked Man tosses opponent in the air and slashes at him as he's falling. Can be chained to be done again. Does about 17% damage.​
Taunts
Up Taunt- Masked Man takes off the mask revealing Claus and nods at the screen, then puts mask back on.​
Side Taunt- Masked Man looks at his sword and looks away while lowering his hand.​
Down Taunt- Masked Man spreads his wings out and soon retracts them.​

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
It's a good looking moveset, but some of the attacks do way too much damage.

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
I've thought of a moveset of my own for the Masked Man. I wanted to diversify what aspects of him are represented, slightly focusing on him being the Pigmask Army's commander more than being a PSI user, a cyborg boy, or electrical swordsman.

Neutral Special: PK Love - Claus uses his PSI powers to emit a slowly moving pattern of light-blue hexagons. Functions similarly to Ness' PK Flash and Lucas' PK Freeze. Where as Ness' PK Flash does heavy damage and knockback, the Masked Man's PK Love does heavy damage and a ton of hitstun, leaving the opponent shaking in place for a few seconds before being sent flying.
Side Special: Pigmask Bomb - Tosses out a round, pink bomb that rolls to the side until it reaches a stop. Explodes after about 2 seconds and is affected by terrain physics.
Up Special: Lightning Strike - The Masked Man extends his mechanical wings and flies straight up in a blitz of thunder, spiking any opponent he touches during it.
Down Special: Shield Killer - Whips out a device that creates a wave of orange-lines in front of him. If the opponent is shielding when he uses this, their shield is instantly broken.
Final Smash: Pigmask Raid - The Masked Man takes out his phone, which plays the Pigmask Army's ringtone. Helicopters come flying from above, dropping Pigmask bombs and the occasional New Year's Eve Bomb that has no knockback but instantly does 200% damage to the opponent. During all this chaos, a couple of Pigmasks drop down from the copters and begin to shoot at the opponents. The final smash ends with both Pigmasks trying to bum-rush the opponent with the highest current percentage before they grab onto the helicopters' ladders and fly off.

For some reason this Fanart reminds me of Nazis :ohwell:. (I hope no one is offended. :ohwell:)
I am offensive and I find this Nazi.

But in all seriousness, Shigesato Itoi once stated in an interview that the salute the Pig Masks make in Mother 3 is actually supposed to resemble the Nazi salute. Also similar is the fact that like the Nazis, they conducted cruel experiments with living creatures. Unsettling, but interesting for their characterization nonetheless, I find. The fanart did a good job of recognizing that.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
God, I'm a HUGE fan of the idea of Claus in Smash 4 with all the Masked Man's potential. While it isn't the most likely thing ever, if they decide to add another Mother character, it's going to be him.

It's just such a good idea I don't even. :shades:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Seriously Banjodorf, if you just changed Ghirahim for Impa, we just about support the exact same characters. :laugh:

Claus would be awesome. Just not very likely. But I would love it if he made it in.

Moderate skill

Smash Apprentice
I think that your moveset needs a n-air, and perhaps an entrance/winning animation concept. Very nice, except for tilts and jabs all doing above-ganondorf damage (19% jabs, 9% pummel?!?).
Awesome character, by the way. I'd love to see him.

nessokman

Smash Lord
Given that nintendo is aknowedging mother's fanbase now, we could get another rep. the fans are dedicated and united. earthbound is getting a vc release in europe where it has never been. we may get a m3 translation. the fanbase is growing

Moveset:

A- swings sword

Side smash- Jumpes forward while slashing his sword

Up smash-charged cannon shot

Down smash- swings his sword Down

B- PK love- powerful pink blast.(chargeable like ness' PK flash)

Side B- swings sword (shoots lightning out)

Up b- downward cannon blast- powerful cannon blast propels him upward

Down b- shield killer- breaks any shield bubbles or shields, enemy trips

Final smash- pig mask invasion- pigmasks run around tossing bombs and shooting lasers
image.jpg

A good pic of him in all his glory. Need I remind you that he tore Lucas apart in the final battle until hinawa intervened. Lucas pretty much kept taking mortal damage while guarding and healing himself repeatedly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom