• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Pig Masked Army's Fearless Leader: Claus/The Masked Man

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Sadly, with technical issues and all other things considered for Porky,

Jeff's a random party member, and while he's arguably the least random of the three, >Paula

Also Porky already has technical issues up the crackpipe. Unless you're a character of Ridley's support and status, then yeah, especially when by comparison the only big thing about Porky (As I've mentioned before) is "He's been in both games" which is a bit skewed with the whole
"Masked Man is the last form of Giygas"
thing but that's a bit skewed by the theory that
Porky is also part of Giygas, so thus making everyone part of Giygas, thus making everyone in all three games. Man, that really screws with things when you think about it.

To be honest, though, despite all that being said, Masked Man would be a fantastic option for an AT while keeping the Jeff AT and having Ness/Lucas playable. Porky as a stage boss works perfectly as icing on the cake to that.

I'm still actually coming up with the playstyle. I've been reminding myself of the boss fight - Maybe, unlike Mega Man, he could have a sort of limiter to how he uses all his moves? Like a recharge?T hat's one way I see to nerf him down while possibly bringing something interesting to Smash.
I considered Jeff and Porky to be more likely on the basis that they were an Assist Trophy and a boss, respectively in the last game while Claus got almost nothing in terms of representation.

And yeah, I support Ridley, not sure what that has to do with anything. But as long as we're delving into theories, I can argue that it was Porky that corrupted Giygas and reduced him to a gibbering wreck. He does more than cameo, he's a major antagonist with tons of character.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
I considered Jeff and Porky to be more likely on the basis that they were an Assist Trophy and a boss, respectively in the last game while Claus got almost nothing in terms of representation.

And yeah, I support Ridley, not sure what that has to do with anything. But as long as we're delving into theories, I can argue that it was Porky that corrupted Giygas and reduced him to a gibbering wreck. He does more than cameo, he's a major antagonist with tons of character.
Ever consider it's because Masked Man didn't have a 3D Model? Making models from scratch is pretty hard since most of the time went into the SSE. I wouldn't look too hard into assist trophies or even bosses, because chances are with bosses, most *if not all* won't be playable/weren't seen as feasible as playable to begin with.

edit: Also
Claus got a costume. One of the few separate characters to get a costume. The Franklyn badge is the same one that's used against Masked Man as well that's been confirmed to be in the game. Zing.

Ridley has to do with Porky because they're both characters that aren't easy to develop into the game but Ridley does have a few more things tipping in his favor.

He's *a* major antagonist in Mother 3 but still not *the* major antagonist. Granted, Masked Man isn't quite there either, but I guess it depends. Masked Main is probably the main antagonist while Porky is probably the main villain, which both are plausible, but in Earthbound he didn't really have much importance.

Including Masked Man over him is way less of a stretch than trying to justify Dark Samus over Ridley, or heck, Wolf over Andross.

You guys gotta be careful with spoilers in the thread plz.

Last edited:

BandanaDee

Smash Journeyman
I'd love to see more Mother 3 for sure, the more publicity the game gets the better. While i too would like to see porky i do see how difficult it would be to make him. With the release of earthbound on virtual console i do have hope for a new mother char, maybe like Jeff or as you say here the Masked man.

I could see him being a very swift fluid fighter with a bit of a jerky movement in his animation kinda like wario. I'm all for the idea for sure. Heres hoping he gets in!

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Ever consider it's because Masked Man didn't have a 3D Model? Making models from scratch is pretty hard since most of the time went into the SSE. I wouldn't look too hard into assist trophies or even bosses, because chances are with bosses, most *if not all* won't be playable/weren't seen as feasible as playable to begin with.

edit: Also
Claus got a costume. One of the few separate characters to get a costume. The Franklyn badge is the same one that's used against Masked Man as well that's been confirmed to be in the game. Zing.

Ridley has to do with Porky because they're both characters that aren't easy to develop into the game but Ridley does have a few more things tipping in his favor.

He's *a* major antagonist in Mother 3 but still not *the* major antagonist. Granted, Masked Man isn't quite there either, but I guess it depends. Masked Main is probably the main antagonist while Porky is probably the main villain, which both are plausible, but in Earthbound he didn't really have much importance.

Including Masked Man over him is way less of a stretch than trying to justify Dark Samus over Ridley, or heck, Wolf over Andross.

You guys gotta be careful with spoilers in the thread plz.
Actually, it was the fact that he didn't get his own model that hurt his chances in my eyes. And personally, a recolor isn't exactly on the level of representation as Assist Trophy and boss.

I'm not exactly sure why you think Porky is unimportant. His presence in EarthBound is just as prevalent as Giygas, whether by running into you or by his ever-pervasive presence by word-of-mouth or things he leaves behind.

In EarthBound, Porky is the one who disables the machine that kept Giygas's power and sanity in check, and reduces him to a universe-destroying bomb. In the sequel, he is responsible for all of the major conflicts in the game, and even after his defeat, his influence and will lives on, manifest in Claus.

In his own words, Claus is Master Porky's slave robot.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
Actually, it was the fact that he didn't get his own model that hurt his chances in my eyes. And personally, a recolor isn't exactly on the level of representation as Assist Trophy and boss.

I'm not exactly sure why you think Porky is unimportant. His presence in EarthBound is just as prevalent as Giygas, whether by running into you or by his ever-pervasive presence by word-of-mouth or things he leaves behind.

In EarthBound, Porky is the one who disables the machine that kept Giygas's power and sanity in check, and reduces him to a universe-destroying bomb. In the sequel, he is responsible for all of the major conflicts in the game, and even after his defeat, his influence and will lives on, manifest in Claus.

In his own words, Claus is Master Porky's slave robot.
A recolor isn't? Really? How is it not, especially given what I said about Sakurai? It's hard to consider anything on the same level of each other, since the next game isn't even out. Most Assist Trophies are staying unplayable, and I don't think you really expect Petey Piranha and Rayquaza either...

Also Diddy Kong in Melee.

Porky as relevant as Giygas? Okay, that's a big statement, because without Giygas, none of the events in Mother 1, 2, or 3 would have happened. Also, in terms of technical difficulties, why not consider Giegue who's still more important than either of the two and easier to program than Porky? I never quite said unimportant - Just questionably important than others and that his importance as a villain is not that big of a gap to the other two.

Earthbound? He did ONE thing by turning on the devil's bomb, and when you look at it, it was a strategical choice - Nothing against the guy, enjoyed him and picky in earthbound, but that's all he did. In a point in his favor though, as a character (And not just as a villain, which is a huge factor to consider) he still did quite a bit by pushing the plot forward.

Mother 3 is kind of the same picture but with more importance - The big thing he did, asides from stall Masked Man for time, was use Masked Man and get him to take out the needles. The big picture though, unlike Earthbound, is it's more similar to the Darth Vader/Emperor effect here - He's still using Masked Man, and his heavy influence on the city, for his own gain at this point - Does it at least make him around as equally important as the other villains in the game? Most definitely. Did he start ALL the conflict? No. Much of the conflict started by himself and same with the call to actions. Oh right, he corrupted the Mecha-Drago. Wait, that is still kinda big. And that's without taking into the account the Claus part, which you know, kind-of helped start this story.

And that's without bringing up a lot of the cut content.

So it's not necessarily saying either or is much more important. As someone who's played all the games several times in both languages, I would still have to give that to Giegue/Giygas. It's the question of if that importance difference is on a high enough level scale of say, Andross and Wolf? Especially on the high enough scale to go out of the way and spend a lot of time for a character that can easily turn out unfeasible? No, not really. There's other factors as well that people don't take into in account at all, that while are smaller, do co-exist - Which one has more of an appeal to get people into the series? Which one was requested for more? Etc. Here's a funfact: Even without MM, Claus himself was more requested than Lucas. Funny how that works, isn't it?

Frankly, I'd rather keep this thread on the topic of Masked Man, but woe is me. At least it's not discussing Ninten/Random Party Members. If anyone wants to continue this, just shoot me up a PM, because I can't see an agreement anytime soon and this has been taking over a good portion of the thread. Heck, feel free to even shoot me one if you want to discuss the series in detail or anything else!

On the opposing hand, feel free to discuss any other way you could also see MM or Claus appearing. I allow this all the time in the other thread I run. Personally? Even if MM gets in I'd like to see Claus's hairstyle flipped on the Lucas palette. I think it'd be a nice little touch. :)

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
So

The Masked Man has an arm cannon and is holding sort of beam-like sword. How would this look in battle? What I mean is, would MM always have his cannon out and his sword unsheathed? Is it possible for the arm cannon to transform into a normal hand? Or maybe he keeps his sword sheathed and only takes it out for certain attacks.

I'm trying to visualize him holding items. He could sheathe his sword, and hold the item with that hand, OR his arm cannon turns into a hand. If that's the case, then MM could dual wield beam swords. :D

or he could hold items like Mewtwo and be all badass.

Also, Masked Man's secret taunt or victory dance!??:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
If Sakurai gave Zamus jet boots, then I'd imagine his arm cannon transforming into a hand freely for item usage.

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
Even though I have never played a Mother game, I have always found Claus to be a very cool-looking character. If we did get a new Mother representative, I'd definitely want it to be him, as he would undoubtedly be different from Ness and Lucas, what with him wielding a sword. After watching some cutscenes and gameplay videos of the Claus boss fights, I can definitely see how the character would work. His fighting style could involve a combination of swordplay, technology, and psychic powers.

That being said, though, I'd rather not get mine hopes up.

Last edited:

candyissweet

Smash Apprentice
I think Claus is a really good fitting character for Brawl. If you think of it, SSB4 has only confirmed TWO antagonists (Bowser and Dedede). I would main him if he made it in.

Enigma14

Smash Champion
So

The Masked Man has an arm cannon and is holding sort of beam-like sword. How would this look in battle? What I mean is, would MM always have his cannon out and his sword unsheathed? Is it possible for the arm cannon to transform into a normal hand? Or maybe he keeps his sword sheathed and only takes it out for certain attacks.

I'm trying to visualize him holding items. He could sheathe his sword, and hold the item with that hand, OR his arm cannon turns into a hand. If that's the case, then MM could dual wield beam swords. :D

or he could hold items like Mewtwo and be all badass.

Also, Masked Man's secret taunt or victory dance!??:

They could go the Megaman route and make his hand appear at will. Or the Robin route with his sword floating while he holds something.

Crawful

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4983-5238-2711
Masked Man will forever be my #1 wanted newcomer. He has a good chance considering the massive outcry the Mother series is getting. I have a feeling Mother 3 is getting a remake soon. I wouldn't be surprised if it happens, but I'd be extremely supportive of the idea. If there isn't a new Mother rep, I'll be surprised and disappointed.

Enigma14

Smash Champion
Masked Man will forever be my #1 wanted newcomer. He has a good chance considering the massive outcry the Mother series is getting. I have a feeling Mother 3 is getting a remake soon. I wouldn't be surprised if it happens, but I'd be extremely supportive of the idea. If there isn't a new Mother rep, I'll be surprised and disappointed.
Remake? What. It has licensing issues out the wazoo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom