• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Pig Masked Army's Fearless Leader: Claus/The Masked Man

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akenero

Smash Apprentice
Oh come on. Is this how we Earthbound/mother fans want to be portrayed? Practically no support?
EARTHBOUND IS ON VC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
Oh come on. Is this how we Earthbound/mother fans want to be portrayed? Practically no support?
Well, there's support from me, I made a full move-set,

Anyways, does anyone else think it would be hilarious watching Mega Man and Masked battling? Cause I sure do.

El Fonz0

Smash Apprentice
Masked Man v. Mega Man
Battle of the M Mans With Arm Cannons And Matching Helmets

nessokman

Smash Lord
It is? I've heard nothing about it besides it being announced. They never gave a release or anything. Are you sure you don't mean going to be released?

I am in EB again, and i am at onette to get the meteor. Giygas is so easy to kill.

the masked man is very pro.

Zage

Smash Journeyman
Introduction:

4. The Mother Series has been denied it's Mother 3 representation since Smash 64, and we already have most of the game fit into place
Probably the weakest argument to support his inclusion, but hey, it's been quite some time. we already literally have Porky as a boss, Jeff as an assist, New Pork City as a stage, and all of the protagonists as characters.
5. He would complete his franchise
Though, I will admit just having Lucas/Ness with the Claus/Ninten costumes is fine. Zing.
(Arguements) 1. The next rep should be Ninten! He follows into the series!
So okay, there's the whole "Each protagonist must be represented!" but this really hardly proves true for the Mother series. For starters, if you haven't, just google up "Ninten" - It's even shown in the sticker designs and other designs that he's hardly thought up of as a different character. What makes this argument even worse is that Lucas was one of the very few characters intended to be in every Smash... and over Ness. Say if he were in Smash 64, then it really does come down to a lot of questions (Though based on Art of Mother 3 on N64, I think I'm kind-of more glad it's on the GBA...)
It's really a null argument since even the creators don't think highly much of Ninten. Though, I will say Mother 1 should still be represented by a bit more music such as Mt. Itoi and Paradise Line and a stage (Mt. Itoi and Paradise Line?) - Sometimes it's better to support Mother 1 through... other methods to tract interest.
This is more about why Ninten doesn't really feel than why Masked Man does. I could go on, but let's look at some other stuff. Really, the google search should say enough for you, and if it doesn't, I don't mind adding in more.

I'm all for new Mother reps, but um.

what

Mother 3 wasn't even thought of when Smash 64 was in development, It wasn't even completed until after Melee was already done and released, there were no plans to include any Mother 3 reps in Smash 64, and Lucas wasn't put in Melee because Mother 3 was not done.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
I'm all for new Mother reps, but um.

what

Mother 3 wasn't even thought of when Smash 64 was in development, It wasn't even completed until after Melee was already done and released, there were no plans to include any Mother 3 reps in Smash 64, and Lucas wasn't put in Melee because Mother 3 was not done.
It actually was. It wasn't thought of much in Smash 64, and I don't remember the source, but it was.

Regardless, it was thought of for Melee as well at least, as you pointed out. The game was being worked on before Smash 64 production started. Zing.

Zage

Smash Journeyman
Are there any links, or sources of that being said?

Smash Release Date: JP January 21, 1999
Mother 3 Release Date: April 20, 2006

The only solid information we have is that Lucas was planned for melee but cut due to Mother 3 not being released, as said here
"
  • 実は当初、MOTHER3の主人公に変更する予定でしたが、いろいろあって遠回りしながら、元のさやに収まりました。
  • ("Actually, at first, I planned to change him [Ness] into the protagonist of MOTHER 3 [Lucas], but for various reasons during the delay, I settled back on the original idea.")"
These character threads are fine and all, the the spreading of misinformation to gather support is getting out of hand, and are terribly annoying.

grizby2

Smash Lord
masked man would be cool.
but id like it if mother 3 didn't smother the other 2 games. if this is the last smash game, id rather see all three mother games being recognized.
at least theres not 5+ generations like pokemon >.>

that's just me though.

Curmudgeon

Smash Ace
It actually was. It wasn't thought of much in Smash 64, and I don't remember the source, but it was.

Regardless, it was thought of for Melee as well at least, as you pointed out. The game was being worked on before Smash 64 production started. Zing.

Well, Super Smash Bros. was released in January 1999, Mother 3 at that time was in its early development stages. It was thought to make an appearance in Melee though, but Mother 3 was cancelled in 2000, almost a year before Melee's release so the plans of Mother 3 representation on Melee were scrapped on its early stages.

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
I forgot this place existed... sorry... after the jump from servers (or whatever the balls happened) i seem to have abandoned all the single character discussions. You've done a real good job keeping this place alive though, thirdK. grats!

nessokman

Smash Lord

The only solid information we have is that Lucas was planned for melee but cut due to Mother 3 not being released, as said here

These character threads are fine and all, the the spreading of misinformation to gather support is getting out of hand, and are terribly annoying.
Mother 3 was originally a n64 title, but was cancelled due to difficulties. It was revived as a GBA game later after cancellation in 2000

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
Masked Man would definitely be a great addition. He was the first moveset I've ever made!

Enigma14

Smash Champion
If his wings are taken into account how many jumps would he have and how long is the duration of his flight would be?

Akenero

Smash Apprentice
If his wings are taken into account how many jumps would he have and how long is the duration of his flight would be?
probably 2, since the wings are rocket powered. 2 and a glide possibly. I'm personally seeing his recovery as a sorta P:M diddy kong's merged with MK, Flies up, you controlling the arc, before settling into a glide. He may even shoot while gliding, idk. one way or another, his wings will be his recovery.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team

Unfortunately I don't keep links, fortunately though, it does make sense because Mother 3 was being worked on pretty early to begin with and would have been out around Smash's release date had it happened on N64, so it would have made sense.
probably 2, since the wings are rocket powered. 2 and a glide possibly. I'm personally seeing his recovery as a sorta P:M diddy kong's merged with MK, Flies up, you controlling the arc, before settling into a glide. He may even shoot while gliding, idk. one way or another, his wings will be his recovery.
^ This.

His glide would probably be able to get across the stage from left to right really fast and smooth, but other then that not much of a power.
I forgot this place existed... sorry... after the jump from servers (or whatever the balls happened) i seem to have abandoned all the single character discussions. You've done a real good job keeping this place alive though, thirdK. grats!
Thank you!

Primid

Smash Apprentice
Here's a illustrated version of Fireemblemneir's moveset that I drew this evening to show my support for Lucas' misunderstood twin brother. I know it's not perfect since I don't have the best drawing skills in the world and because I had to take pictures with my camera, but I thought I'd post it nonetheless. I hope you don't mind.

I wanted to draw the Final Smash too, but I ran out of room. In case it's too hard to read my handwriting, this is what it says:
Neural B: PK Love Omega
Side B: Beam Cannon
Up B: Cyborg Wings
Down B: PK Thunder

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
I'm going to make a counter argument on the similarities between him and Mega Man... Anyone got any convincing ideas for this?

PigmaskColonel

Smash Journeyman
Add me to the supporters list! Masked Man would be great, although I still want Porky more. And who cares if he's really unlikely, he's freaking awesome! :ness:

nessokman

Smash Lord
Actually, I beat mother 3 again not too long ago.He REALLY should get a part in smash.

PigmaskColonel

Smash Journeyman
Add me to the supporters list! Masked Man would be great, although I still want Porky more. And who cares if he's really unlikely, he's freaking awesome! :ness:
Looking back on this post, I actually decided I don't want Claus. He'll get in the way of Porky and Fassad.

EDIT: Besides, he's not even a villain - He's an anti-hero.

Last edited:

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Yeah, but Fassad would be really cool...Wait, I should make a support thread for him! He could go along with my Pigmask support thread.
You can still support both as well! (Masked Man and Fassad) Fassad for Assist Trophy actually would be one of the best Mother choices for that! Underrated character right there.

PigmaskColonel

Smash Journeyman
You can still support both as well! (Masked Man and Fassad) Fassad for Assist Trophy actually would be one of the best Mother choices for that! Underrated character right there.
Yeah, but I'm just worried the Masked Man might become a mish-mash of Link & Mega Man. Just like how I think K. Rool could have the same fate.

Last edited:

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Yeah, but I'm just worried the Masked Man might become a mish-mash of Link & Mega Man. Just like how I think K. Rool could have the same fate.
Don't think that way! This Smash has easily been one that's shown us unique movesets, and characters will always end up borrowing a bit from others. I mean, I have my doubts here and there to, but every newcomer so far seems to bring something completely new to Smash.

Last edited:

PigmaskColonel

Smash Journeyman
Don't think that way! This Smash has easily been one that's shown us unique movesets, and characters will always end up borrowing a bit from others. I mean, I have my doubts here and there to, but every newcomer so far seems to bring something completely new to Smash.
Well, I guess you're right on that note, but for some reason, the Masked Man was just kinda...Meh...

For some reason I don't really like the characters who are so 'OMG so awesome can fly around doesn't have any emotions'.

EDIT: Also, despite the fact that the Masked Man & Pigmask Colonels command the army, it is Porky's Army still. His trophy in Brawl even states "He leads the Pig Mask invasion".

Last edited:

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Well, I guess you're right on that note, but for some reason, the Masked Man was just kinda...Meh...

For some reason I don't really like the characters who are so 'OMG so awesome can fly around doesn't have any emotions'.
Masked Man has a lot of emotions, but for the sake of respect in the thread, I'll put spoilers.

Well, the entire first two chapters already shows more than enough to respect out of him; he lost his Mother and goes practically insane because of it. It's a lot more emotion in the lines than put into most VG characters, and it's the same setting with Flint. The last chapter pretty much is all Masked Man/Porky. It is a shame though that Masked Man doesn't have many lines but it fits with the character. It's kind-of an in-between of Porky's dialogue and Giygas's dialogue.

I do wish he was fleshed out for more chapters still before he died. I can't say I'm the biggest fan of how Mother 3 starts itself but the last two chapters made me wanting more.

As for K. Rool, I don't want to derail the thread, but he's got some nice lines in Mario Super Sluggers!

Masked Man is still the leader canonically, but Porky leads Claus, so in the technicalities Pokey leads the Pig Masks. It's the name that matters!

Last edited:

PigmaskColonel

Smash Journeyman
Masked Man has a lot of emotions, but for the sake of respect in the thread, I'll put spoilers.

Well, the entire first two chapters already shows more than enough to respect out of him; he lost his Mother and goes practically insane because of it. It's a lot more emotion in the lines than put into most VG characters, and it's the same setting with Flint. The last chapter pretty much is all Masked Man/Porky. It is a shame though that Masked Man doesn't have many lines but it fits with the character. It's kind-of an in-between of Porky's dialogue and Giygas's dialogue.

I do wish he was fleshed out for more chapters still before he died. I can't say I'm the biggest fan of how Mother 3 starts itself but the last two chapters made me wanting more.

As for K. Rool, I don't want to derail the thread, but he's got some nice lines in Mario Super Sluggers!

Masked Man is still the leader canonically, but Porky leads Claus, so in the technicalities Pokey leads the Pig Masks. It's the name that matters!
I agree. I also find it funny that you said Porky twice, then said Pokey. :p

SeatreasureReturned

Smash Apprentice
Fassad would be my first choice, but that is such an unrealistic hope that I have to put my support towards Masked Man. I really think he could add a lot to the game. Not that Porky or Jeff couldn't, but Masked Man is my favorite out of the three.

PigmaskColonel

Smash Journeyman
Fassad would be my first choice, but that is such an unrealistic hope that I have to put my support towards Masked Man. I really think he could add a lot to the game. Not that Porky or Jeff couldn't, but Masked Man is my favorite out of the three.
I think that out of all of the Mother characters that I want to be in Smash, I'd have to say it's a tie between Porky, Fassad, a Pigmask, and Ninten.

I feel like they have some of the most potential as great characters.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom