• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The ROB Matchup Thread

Bees!

Smash Ace
And let's see, who won that situation?
theres a flipside too. also if pikmin are near you, you can refresh moves on them. Just look out for Oli at the same time. So what can potentially help Oli can also hurt him.

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
I honestly think that this MU isn't that bad...Its just that you have to know a lot about olimar in addition to knowing the MU. But really its not even near a disadvantage.
55-45 <-I am sticking by that.
I approve of this message ([^_^]:bigthumbu

and will try to help out with this MU very shortly. d'no why i've been overlooking this thread D: sowwie<3

Mr.E

Smash Lord
I trust Mister Eric on this matter more than anyone else, what with the whole playing his Olimar partner extensively and whatnot. :colorful:

Olimar wins because he can outcamp ROB
Dedede wins because he can outcamp ROB
Falco wins because he can outcamp ROB
johns johns johns johns johns johns johns johns johns johns johns johns johns johns johns johns johns johns johns johns johns johns johns johns johns johns johns johns johns johns

-LzR-

Smash Hero
And the funny thing is Rob's projectiles actually suck for camping. They are only good to disrupt approaches and are **** good at it. And also one of the best projectiles for killing.

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
And the funny thing is Rob's projectiles actually suck for camping. They are only good to disrupt approaches and are **** good at it. And also one of the best projectiles for killing.
Yeah true. For once I agree with you LoL.

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
Oh, okay, that's understandable.
Me? No thanks, I'm busy with school and stuff. =/
Perhaps someone else? ([^^]

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
I meant: do you want to discuss the next character?
You meant that, well.. yes we can, but I want Tin Man to write up some things first about Olimar since he's an Olimar mainer.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Have we discussed Lucario yet. I would really need stuff about that MU, it's really important to me.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I regard this even. His fsmash ledgeguard is annoying and effective, but a simple laser beats it. Don't get combo'd and try to kill him, you just have to. After about 120%, save laser for the kill.
More later today.

Silhouette

Smash Lord
Camp him.

Camp him HARD, and be careful to avoid his aura balls while doing so.

His Fair and Jab > Jab > Side B combos are very effective on us.

Ftilt is important in this MU.

Concentrate hard on killing him early, I cant stress this enough. THE BEST WAY TO GET ADVANTAGE IN THIS MU IS TO WIN THE FIRST STOCK.

and dont approach from below, much. You need to bait the Dair then hit him in his tiny lag.

Very 50/50 If you know how the MU works. If not ROB 45/55 Lucario.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Matchups are always assumed both players know the MU. I also believe it's 50-50.
In this MU, we gotta be smart, we have to read them well to get that early kill. Gimping him is the best bet, thought Lucario isn't as easy to gimp as it seems. If you just hang in the ledge thinking that his upB has no hitbox, think again. He will upB to the stage near the ledge and do a walljumped aerial which most likely kills you if it hits. You must be smart and force him to recover to the stage to punish his lag which is pretty high on his upB.
Also abuse his 3rd jump glitch, when he lands, you can get and fsmash or so.

That is all I know actually, I have usually went MK on this MU :D

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
I can't this MU much, but we have trouble killing him, and he can survive so long that he can kill us really early. And he can combo and juggle us to death at lower %'s. I would say that this is 45:55 R.O.B..

Heartstring

Smash Legend
camping is how you will win this matchup, if the lucario thinks he is dominant when camping, he will try to do so for the first part of the match, you cna really get a lead here, by firing a gyro to the centre of the stage and letting it eat all of the aura balls (that is providing he shoots them from the floor) and hten laser him to hell and back. when he does try to approach, its not all that hard to keep him out. a lot of lucario's like to shorthop fair>nair or short hop fair>dair, it can eat your shield but youre open to hit him after he does this.
imo the best stage to take a lucario is probably lylat cruise, because like us they are not a big fan of platforms (i dont know why, he should have a solid platform game, but apparently im mistaken) and the slight tilting can be their bane with their recovery.
also i thing a found out today, if you jab>dsmash lucario while hes offstage (i.e.: youre onstage ledgeguarding) it will pull him underneath the ledge, and unless theyre very skilled with their recover,y it will atleast give you an easy punish or maybe even a gimp
i say 55:45 r.o.b favour

Nova9000

Smash Lord
How do you punish his Fairs? IIRC it can finish and go straight into another aerial (Fair,Uair, ect.) which makes it tough for me to punish. And does our Bair outrange it? I don't have a wii at the moment so I can't test this.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
punish his fair's?
lol
naww theyre too fast to be punished, a bit like mk's u-air. if you're on the ground then he will be falling towards you with it, in which case you can either wait for him to jump or to land. because i'm pretty sure his fair has some substantial landing lag (not sure on this one) sit in your shield, it has nothing ni the way of shield damage.
in the air, have fun, just avoid, but its not all bad because even when lucario is at high damage it only does about 6%

Nova9000

Smash Lord
Thats at one point. But when he has that damage, it ain't just 6% that he's dealing. And I'm asking because that's the move I have the most problem with; starts juggles too well and we know how bad that is for ROB. But I will try this out next time I play against Luc.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
You can only punish it by a good read. That is probably done with bair or ftilt. Safest option is a retreating reverse gyro.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
like i said, shield, lucario has nothing in the way of shield damage. if hes smart he will start d-airing your shield in which case rolling away is probably your best option, playing defensive is probably the best course of action

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
But because we lack killing power it's kinda hard to kill Lucario, unless we gimp. He's surviving too long with that DI. I'm willing to call it 50:50 instead of 45:55 R.O.B. actually. Oh and take him to small stages where he can't survive long, like Battlefield or Brinstar. Smashville, Halberd and of course Castle Seige work too.

Bees!

Smash Ace
LOL if lucario dairs your shield you can always punish.
It depends he can always follow up with a nAir, that usually shield pokes or pushes you away.(so you can't punish it safely) And because it auto cancels its pretty hard to punish out of shield(dAir>nAir>jab,ftilt,utilt, ect). Also Lucario can DJ and dAir again as well(rising Dair). Best bet is tilting shield up and grabbing in most situations. However uTilt oos or fAir oos are pretty good. Also Lucario has a really hard time getting in.(At least from my experience)
So if he
dAir> nAir: you probably shouldn't punish unless you think you can get a dtilt or ftilt oos
dAir > rising dAir: This one is kind of hard to punish, I suggest not punishing it because its not worth it. Lucario's use it to get away and avoid punishment. Just let them get away. They have a hell of a time getting back in.
Also if spaced properly we can ftilt oos to punish fSmash, Or SH nAir(works amazingly and gets around that fSmash hitbox.)

I am really busy with my new job but I have time I will do a write-up.

In the meantime: Ban Japes against Lucario. its really bad for anyone vs him there.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
isnt japes a good stage for r.o.b agaisnt anyone not named falco?
i dunno i have no exp there, but im jsut gonig from guide's.
in theory taken him to halberd would probably be our best bet, we dies faster plus he lacks any reall vertical KO moves untill high percentage (high percent for bot chars)
also if he decides we want to shark he only really had one tool for edgeguarding, and i dont think his recovery is long enough to reach the ledges if he activates up-b in the centre of the stage, in other words, easy punish (i think anyway, not sure here)

Bees!

Smash Ace
Lucario ***** everyone on Japes. Considering that they will be wise with their zoning. You will never land a killmove next to the blast zone. they can ff into the water and escape. As for vertical kill moves well you know how that goes. My dubz partner plays Lucario and I know a little bit about the MU. Also you are correct, taking Lucario to Halberd would be bad. He can shark his recovery through the stage to avoid gimps and edge-guards. However Lucario doesn't need to spot the ledge in that situation you presented. His recovery can take him to the platform on the moving stage through the stage and if you are going for or on the ledge...you will never make it in time to do any significant punishing(Lucario likes being poked by non killmoves that just make him stronger)
I prefer FD, YI(he has to cling recover at times making gimps and offstage KOs easier) RC, and Lylat.
Honestly I don't see this being worse than 55-45 Lucario's favor.

Unless its like this.

My breakdown of the difficulty dependent on the situation, as aura bonus makes most matchups with Lucario situation based
Both characters about equal stocks %: 55-45 Lucario's favor
--Easier to outspace Lucario and punish things. His pressure game is not very effective.--
ROB at 2 stocks Lucario at 1 with mid to high %: 60-40 Lucario's Favor
--This is a tough situation as Lucario can kill around 70-80 with Aura bonus now. However stock lead is saving grace. Also Lucario now outspaces you with his new found priority , kill power and increased damage
ROB at 1 stock no or low % Lucario at 120-160%: 65-35 to 70:30 Lucario's Favor.
--For the same reason as mentioned before only this much more dire. It is really hard to land a killmove on Lucario last stock high percents as everything he does at this point beats us and has the potential to kill at surprisingly low percents. Also his moves have massive shield-stun and eat up shields as well. At this point a simple jab>sideb>fAir>fAir>dAir type deal can put 80% on ROB so fast. Where as we can't get that kill move on Lucario that we need because he beats us out with everyting we do now.--

Its better to kill Lucario low on last stock so you don't get forced into those last two situations.

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
Oh, you really convinced me Bees. I'm willing to put it to 45:55 R.O.B. (again LoL).

Nova9000

Smash Lord
I also wouldn't take DK to JJ, but that's my opinion.
And I feel as if timing Luc out could be an option on his last stock if it comes to a situation like Bees! presented.

Bees!

Smash Ace
Its generally the situation I have been in many times. Its so annoying because you have to re-adjust the way you play vs Lucario as things you could do to outspace him no longer work. lolz

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
I also LOVE it when Lucario takes me to Jungle Jank. I get a good lead, then fly to the top of the stage and dair....dair....dair....dair....umm....dair....dair....xD

then hit the ground with b-reversals and refuel

then up up and away

and dair....dair....dair....dair....until it times out.

I have never lost this way...

I don't prefer this method, and never cp anyone there...but if they try to jank me on jungle jank, I will surely jank them right back.

I'm sure you can do this to DK too. I've done it to Kirby

Top Bottom