• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Sassy Princess of Sarasaland: Daisy for SSB4 (A New Daisy for Smash Thread Opens See Pg. 197)

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Lol at "Princess Daffodil". Still, it seems like a nice costume if you want to dress up as Daisy and if you're ok with bootleg products.
With Halloween coming up, that's precisely why I included it. :)

It's not an exact replica for obvious reasons (technically it falls under the category of unlicensed goods, as opposed to counterfeits, really, since no official version exists), but a little modifcation shouldn't be too difficult, I imagine.

The same company also made bootleg/counterfeit character costumes with names such as Woodland Warrior (Link), Woodland Huntress (female Link), and sidekick Bros. (Mario and Luigi).
Wow, I never noticed that. :laugh:

D

Deleted member

It's worth being wary of the popularity echo-chamber effect, here. Shovel Knight, for example, has around 700k sales across all of the platforms that the game has been released on, with around 300k of those being on Nintendo's platforms. That's neither much of a history, nor being widely-known or widely-popular. There are people who are opposed because they are aware of this, and see promoting somebody else's virtually-unknown franchise as being indicative of turning Smash into a cheap advertising billboard, which is a valid concern.

I haven't picked the game up yet, but I do plan to once the 3DS retail version is out over here. I'm looking forward to it, after hearing so many people saying good things about it. :grin:
Sales numbers are subjective and Shovel Knight is most definitely widely-known. That's why everyone has heard of him (gamers, that is). The character also already has numerous cameos in other games, including Runbow, Road Redemption, Armillo, etc. and upcoming ones like Hex Heroes, Starr Mazer, and Bloodstained: Ritual of the Knight. He's an indie icon. Furthermore, Shovel Knight first appeared on Nintendo hardware, and the Shovel Knight amiibo is the first indie amiibo and non-Nintendo character that isn't part of the Smash series. Despite being only a year or so old, he's kind of a big deal. And apart from that, the character is likable and unique, sporting a variety of moves that are magic-based besides his main shovel attack. He'd be a great character in Smash.

Now I'm no expert like some of you, and if Daisy got in Smash, while she could be unique, I think it's still likely she could be clone in some form to Peach. Which brings the question (while I would want a unique Daisy instead), why hasn't Daisy been an alt for Peach yet? It wouldn't take too much time. I can see why some wouldn't like Daisy, and like another user said (regarding why Nintendo doesn't use Daisy more often), Mario still sells without the need of Daisy as a major factor so why fix what isn't broken. Regardless, nobody will ever know of Daisy's true potential until she's show in a better light. With that said, Rosalina didn't "take Daisy's spot" because there was never a spot to be taken.

Daisy is even getting shafted from MM (love her or hate her, no reason for Daisy not to show up in MM unless Nintendo just truly don't care about her or the other extreme, hates her). All in all, fans my develop a better opinion on Daisy if they used her more, but there's nothing indicating to Nintendo that Daisy's worth as a character is important enough to warrant them including her more often (with MM being the outlier).
I think if done right, Daisy could be a brilliant semi-clone of Peach, but I'd even take her as a clone. Honestly it is weird that Sakurai apparently never considered it.

I think what Daisy really needs though is her own game where she can be fleshed out a bit more. That did wonders for Yoshi, Luigi, Wario, and Toad...

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Sales numbers are subjective and Shovel Knight is most definitely widely-known.
Sales numbers are objective, not subjective. They represent the number sold, as reported by the makers. Opinions are subjective. ;)

That's why everyone has heard of him (gamers, that is).
Like I said, the echo-chamber effect in action. Like-minded groups in certain circles may have heard of him, but this amplifies the perception that "What one likes is what everyone likes, therefore everyone knows of this", which is an erroneous one. (To cite an example, it's like when folks say that "Everyone wants a new F-Zero game", without paying heed to the fact that the series has never sold very well due to being part of a very niche subgenre, because they aren't aware of the echo-chamber.)

There are a lot of gamers who have never heard of Shovel Knight. It's only by pure fluke I ever even did, and I've been a video games enthusiast for almost all of my life - that's multiple decades of endless enthusiasm, at this point. :laugh:

If his positive word-of-mouth keeps up and maintains this momentum, he certainly will become widely-known, though. There's no disputing that, and I really hope for him and his creators that it does - we need more games like that around! :grin:

The character also already has numerous cameos in other games, including Runbow, Road Redemption, Armillo, etc. and upcoming ones like Hex Heroes, Starr Mazer, and Bloodstained: Ritual of the Knight.
Sad to say that I've only heard of one of those (Runbow), again purely by fluke.

and the Shovel Knight amiibo is the first indie amiibo and non-Nintendo character that isn't part of the Smash series.
People keep saying this means something as if an Amiibo being produced is somehow some sort of "rite of passage", but that's actually not the case. It's simply another item that they've licensed and arranged the manufacture of, exactly the same as they've done for the plushes, shirts, foam shovel, and so on. Any licensed developer can do this if they so choose.

And apart from that, the character is likable and unique, sporting a variety of moves that are magic-based besides his main shovel attack. He'd be a great character in Smash.
You don't need to tell me this - I already know it. ;) Please don't mistake my pointing out of people's genuine concerns, and mentioning the game's sales, as being an attack against the character, because it absolutely isn't. :p

I think if done right, Daisy could be a brilliant semi-clone of Peach, but I'd even take her as a clone. Honestly it is weird that Sakurai apparently never considered it.
Wait, he really hasn't? I agree, that is incredibly strange. I mean, I honestly expected her to appear as a clone by Brawl...

I think what Daisy really needs though is her own game where she can be fleshed out a bit more. That did wonders for Yoshi, Luigi, Wario, and Toad...
If they do this, they need to make Sarasaland the setting, and not be afraid to hold back with its unusual nature.

I can dream, can't I? :laugh:

Wiimas123

Smash Apprentice
Sales numbers are subjective and Shovel Knight is most definitely widely-known. That's why everyone has heard of him (gamers, that is). The character also already has numerous cameos in other games, including Runbow, Road Redemption, Armillo, etc. and upcoming ones like Hex Heroes, Starr Mazer, and Bloodstained: Ritual of the Knight. He's an indie icon. Furthermore, Shovel Knight first appeared on Nintendo hardware, and the Shovel Knight amiibo is the first indie amiibo and non-Nintendo character that isn't part of the Smash series. Despite being only a year or so old, he's kind of a big deal. And apart from that, the character is likable and unique, sporting a variety of moves that are magic-based besides his main shovel attack. He'd be a great character in Smash.
That I have to disagree with. I know this isn't the Shovel Knight forum but I just want to say this. 1st. Shovel Knight isn't as popular at all in Japan and seeing that that's the place Nintendo tries to make happy the most it's unlikely that we will get Shovel Knight as DLC. Also, having an Amiibo that isn't connected with a more popular gaming franchise doesn't make him "kind of a big deal." 2nd. I believe that Shovel Knight is wayy overhyped imo and the main reason people like it is because of Nostalgia. Sure it wasn't bad at all. But this is the most overrated game ever. The majority reason like Shovel Knight because it's retro graphics and gameplay that steals from a lot of old classic games. It reminds people of their childhood so they love it. Maybe it would be a hit if it was made a long time ago. But now it's an (in my opinion) overrated game.

EDIT: Please no more Shovel Knight discussion on this thread.

Last edited:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
That I have to disagree with. I know this isn't the Shovel Knight forum but I just want to say this. 1st. Shovel Knight isn't as popular at all in Japan and seeing that that's the place Nintendo tries to make happy the most it's unlikely that we will get Shovel Knight as DLC. Also, having an Amiibo that isn't connected with a more popular gaming franchise doesn't make him "kind of a big deal." 2nd. I believe that Shovel Knight is wayy overhyped and the only reason people like it is because of a little word called Nostalgia. Sure it wasn't horrible. But this is the most overrated game ever. There's only one review that was 1/2 correct. People like Shovel Knight because it's retro graphics and gameplay that steals from a lot of old classic games. It reminds people of their childhood so they love it. Maybe it would be a hit if it was made a long time ago. But now it's overrated.

EDIT: I want no further discussion about Shovel Knight on this thread.
That's perhaps a bit harsh. The "people only like it because of nostalgia" claim is used to write things off way too often, and it's unfortunately something that can easily be directed at Daisy, as well...

I think well of her because of Super Mario Land, for example. You can guess exactly how some might dismiss that. :laugh:

Wiimas123

Smash Apprentice
That's perhaps a bit harsh. The "people only like it because of nostalgia" claim is used to write things off way too often, and it's unfortunately something that can easily be directed at Daisy, as well...

I think well of her because of Super Mario Land, for example. You can guess exactly how some might dismiss that. :laugh:
Maybe you're right. I'll edit it. I just feel really strongly about this topic and I wanted to speak up.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914

Although they literally have Waluigi appear in all of Daisy's GP races in Mario Kart 8.
Uggghhhh, Honey Queen. They was seriously scraping at the bottom of the barrel when picking out the roster for the game. It could have been worse like randomly throwing Coach Penguin in the game or even going for Major Burrows.

Ark of Silence101

Smash Master
NNID
ArkofSilence
Switch FC
8431-6297-7122
Uggghhhh, Honey Queen. They was seriously scraping at the bottom of the barrel when picking out the roster for the game. It could have been worse like randomly throwing Coach Penguin in the game or even going for Major Burrows.
Yeah, never did find out why such a weird choice when other characters would have been better, anyway aside from this what else did I miss?

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
And they cut fan-favourites like Diddy Kong to make room for Honey Queen and Wiggler, don't forget! (I don't even know who Coach Penguin is, but at least, I assume, he's a penguin, which gives him some merit with me. :p [/not penguin-biased at all])

We should all fear the day that Sakurai steps down from Smash, and Mario Roster Syndrome starts hitting that, too. :crazy:

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Yeah, never did find out why such a weird choice when other characters would have been better, anyway aside from this what else did I miss?
Other than the fact that we got ourselves a new supporter in the form of my beloved Aussie beauty (who you just replied to), not much really happened.

Random discussions about that Super Mario Bros movie occurred along with jokes about a few derby looking princess dolls (Daisy's being the biggest offender). Though the more relevant conversations that occurred are ways to address Daisy's hatedom while finding ways in which it can die down. Like fleshing out her character in a new game would make her much likelier for Smash and gain her a bigger fan following.

Ark of Silence101

Smash Master
NNID
ArkofSilence
Switch FC
8431-6297-7122
Other than the fact that we got ourselves a new supporter in the form of my beloved Aussie beauty (who you just replied to), not much really happened.

Random discussions about that Super Mario Bros movie occurred along with jokes about a few derby looking princess dolls (Daisy's being the biggest offender). Though the more relevant conversations that occurred are ways to address Daisy's hatedom while finding ways in which it can die down. Like fleshing out her character in a new game would make her much likelier for Smash and gain her a bigger fan following.
It would have to be a game that fleshes out both her personality and character, let's not forget her powers and abilities as well.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
And they cut fan-favourites like Diddy Kong to make room for Honey Queen and Wiggler, don't forget! (I don't even know who Coach Penguin is, but at least, I assume, he's a penguin, which gives him some merit with me. :p [/not penguin-biased at all])

We should all fear the day that Sakurai steps down from Smash, and Mario Roster Syndrome starts hitting that, too. :crazy:
This is Coach Penguin. He was that massive black bird who's been teaching you the art of stingray surfing in order to earn a star in certain Galaxy levels.

Though I can agree that the roster would suffer from the Mario syndrome if anyone other than Sakurai ruled it. Then we would have the Famitsu mascot and Reckless Safety Wiimote Man as fighters. *shudders*

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
This is Coach Penguin. He was that massive black bird who's been teaching you the art of stingray surfing in order to earn a star in certain Galaxy levels.

Though I can agree that the roster would suffer from the Mario syndrome if anyone other than Sakurai ruled it. Then we would have the Famitsu mascot and Reckless Safety Wiimote Man as fighters. *shudders*
B..bbbb...buuu...bbbuuuubbuuu....bbbbuuuuubuuuuuut Coach Penguin would have been better than Honey Queen. :(

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
B..bbbb...buuu...bbbuuuubbuuu....bbbbuuuuubuuuuuut Coach Penguin would have been better than Honey Queen. :(
This is true, by virtue of him being a penguin. :grin:

But then again, just about anybody is better than Honey Queen. Even Reckless Safety Guy is better than Honey Queen.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Just because he would be better than Honey Queen doesn't make him any less of a waste of space.

Sorry boo, but that's reality. :woman:

HanAmes

Smash Ace

Yeah, to me, it's really not fair that Daisy is the only character being hated on, and the fact that she has this stigma about her, only because she's only in the spin-offs. And seriously, does that even sound like a legit reason to dislike her? Just because of her spin-off career? I know that some people say that she's annoying, but it's a subjective thing. Me, personally, I don't find her annoying. A little obnoxious, but not annoying; not everyone can be perfect, and reading between the lines, that's pretty much perfection in itself. There are many other things that are annoying besides Daisy, I mean, get real here. But whatevs...like I said, it's a subjective thing.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Let's be honest, nobody is more of a wasted space or filler than Pink Gold Peach.
True, the only reasons why she exists is just to bump up the female representation and give Metal Mario someone to help harden his "steel". It's only a matter of time until we have Brown Gold Luigi as a racer in Mario Kart 9.

Last edited:

Ark of Silence101

Smash Master
NNID
ArkofSilence
Switch FC
8431-6297-7122
Yeah, to me, it's really not fair that Daisy is the only character being hated on, and the fact that she has this stigma about her, only because she's only in the spin-offs. And seriously, does that even sound like a legit reason to dislike her? Just because of her spin-off career? I know that some people say that she's annoying, but it's a subjective thing. Me, personally, I don't find her annoying. A little obnoxious, but not annoying; not everyone can be perfect, and reading between the lines, that's pretty much perfection in itself. There are many other things that are annoying besides Daisy, I mean, get real here. But whatevs...like I said, it's a subjective thing.
Bias, it also doesn't help we are constantly in communities where she is hated, because like I said multiple times, she is not hated at all here where I live.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
I think we can all agree that Metal Mario never should've gotten a roster slot in the first place, even ignoring the fact that it led to the existence of Pink Gold Peach. I always thought that it would've been better to have a Metal power-up like in Smash, myself.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
So more or less the whole ordeal with Scrappy Doo. He wasn't that bad of a character in the past yet the older fans found ways to complain about him being an unnecessary pest. This would eventually result in Warner Bros. and Cartoon network finding ways of ****ing Scrappy's character with degrading jokes to satisfy those fanboys. Whether it's Scrappy being the villain of the first live action Scooby Doo movie (being a discount demonic Pumba) or Freddy saying that they should never speak of him again when looking at his wax model, that little pup never catches a break these days. At least Nintendo doesn't resort to **** moves like that or retcon her from the Mario family for the same reasons.

True, the only reasons why she exists is just to bump up the female representation and give Metal Mario someone to help harden his "steel". It's only a matter of time until we have Brown Gold Luigi as a racer in Mario Kart 9.
You are still as dirty as ever I see? Good thing it's tame in comparison to the things you say outdoors. :troll:

Ark of Silence101

Smash Master
NNID
ArkofSilence
Switch FC
8431-6297-7122
Inb4 Orange Gold Daisy joins in with him as well XD.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Inb4 Orange Gold Daisy and Blue Cobalt Waluigi joins in with him as well XD.
Fixed that for you.

I think we can all agree that Metal Mario never should've gotten a roster slot in the first place, even ignoring the fact that it led to the existence of Pink Gold Peach. I always thought that it would've been better to have a Metal power-up like in Smash, myself.

Agreed. It would be a more balanced replacement for the Mega Mushroom from Mario Kart Wii. That would be a more faithful way of representing the power-up instead of making him his own character like Smash did (but he was a boss).

You are still as dirty as ever I see? Good thing it's tame in comparison to the things you say outdoors. :troll:
Come on, you know me too well than to say things like that. It was the perfect joke too given that Metal Mario is "always hard" in all his appearances. :laugh:

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
No love for Yellow Gold Mario? He was one of the best original characters in Smash after all.

Not before we get Red Bronze Captain Falcon and Green Emerald Kirby to join the roster.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
So King Baby Silver Gold Dry Metal Giant Rosalina Kong Jr. confirmed?
Please, don't make me crack up like this. This is too much for a young Australian bloke like me to handle. :laugh:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
I'm still holding out for Bronze Platinum Honey Queen.
Please, Pink Gold Baby King R.O.B. Would be a better idea than her. But who says that the developers wouldn't give us both. :p

View attachment 77798 View attachment 77799
You're welcome - Afro (P.S. Has my avatar creeped anyone out yet?)
Two words: Cuteness overload. Luigi x Daisy would never fail to make me happy when searching cute Mario couples on DeviantArt. They remind me so much of my current relationship with Azure during our private moments.

And don't worry Mr. F-Zero Bias, your avatar will prevent me from sleeping tonight.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Rosalina just got her baby form in Mario Kart 8, so it's just a matter of time until the metal forms of Luigi, Daisy and Rosalina appear :p
If we go by the Baby Park DLC track, next up is, in fact, Pink Gold Baby Rosalina, who features on the track in statue form. Beware! :evil:

To be honest I'd like if Dr. Mario is added to Mario Kart and also Wario's WarioWare outfit
If they were selectable skins like the Yoshi and Shy Guy colours in Mario Kart 8, I'd love to see them, too, in all honesty. It's the granting of roster slots to costumes and power-ups that I don't like. :laugh:

Ark of Silence101

Smash Master
NNID
ArkofSilence
Switch FC
8431-6297-7122
View attachment 77798 View attachment 77799
You're welcome - Afro (P.S. Has my avatar creeped anyone out yet?)
I'm still surprised that Kamek/Magikoopa has never been a playable character despite being in the Mario Kart 64 beta
I like Luigi X Daisy as well, and why no Petey Piranha? His head sprite was found in MKWII but not used, and I really enjoy playing as him in Strikers Charged, reminds me of Bob Marley for some reason.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I'm still surprised that Kamek/Magikoopa has never been a playable character despite being in the Mario Kart 64 beta

One day Wizenheimer, one day you would get your revenge on that fat plumber and the rest of his friends for kicking you out of Mario Kart 64's roster. Especially Donkey ***** ***.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed

One day Wizenheimer, one day you would get your revenge on that fat plumber and the rest of his friends for kicking you out of Mario Kart 64's roster. Especially Donkey ***** ***.
Maybe he was just scared off by the fact that, in the Western version, Peach sounded like a man putting on a high-pitched voice? :p

Top Bottom