• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Secret to Bone-Walking.

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
THANK YOU!!! YES! This TRICK IS SOOOOOOOOOOO GOOOD. You can fast fall at ANY time you want WITHOUT using your float. Incredible. Why? Because it offers sooooo many more mind games, my favorite thing ever. Now I can totally trick someone into thinking I'm making an aerial approach, then quickly bone walk turnip pull right at them...*WEE**

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
hova mentioned this variation of...erm, Bone walking (sounds funny lol :p) aaaages ago. Just saying. Also, yea this is a pretty rubbish approach, you're essentially sliding straight into a potential attack and you can't do anything until the Turnip pull is complete

Also, the problem with this method is that you won't slide as far as you possibly could, since you waste time letting the Control Stick go back to neutral and then inputting another movement

Once you crack the timing of the actual pulling up the Turnip after the foxtrot, there really is no need to use this method

I'm such a ruddy killjoy :(

Oh yea, I mentioned that fast fall thing a while ago, except my variation was to do it with a Turnip in hand by pressing Down and + B again in the air as it instantly causes you to fast fall and throw the Turnip in the direction you're facing

But iirc you get stuck in 'Throwing on the ground' ending lag since you're halfway though throwing animation when you touch the ground...assuming you're Floating low enough...I think

Mmm

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
I think we all understand that Bone didn't come up with this first, but he did use it in tourney like, 7-8 months ago, and bone walking is the coolest name for this thing. I did see hova mention it awhile ago too. But I don't really care who came up with it so much as I care how cool we sound telling people what its called ;) If wavedashing was called Air Dodge Sliding (a more accurate description, much like Turnip free pull sliding or whatever) it wouldn't sound nearly as neat =D

hova

Smash Champion
haha... i definitely don't need anything named after me; besides it's all the same tech

i don't know if anyone caught my old post in the other thread, but if you are letting your control stick reset to neutral and then pressing forward you won't get the full slide. you can easily fix this by pushing ur control stick back to (near) neutral and then pressing forward in a fluid motion

it definitely feels close to a QCF motion, but that really is a terrible way to describe it

so yeah, if you're getting the half-*** slide by letting your control stick reset on your own, just go ahead and give it a little help back to the neutral position

also, i'll be back in a few months... planning on tearing some **** up for real, no more holding back

get at me

White-Peach

Smash Ace
I'm terrible at this :( I'm terrible at learning new things :((( I could never really wavedash in melee unless I was sheik, and when it came time to play brawl, I could never tilt :((( I never used UTilt/FTilt in melee, and was like wtf is this motion :( I dont have delicate movements with this game, everything is all MASHHHH THE BUTTONSSS (intelligently, but still mashing.)

Part of the problem is that I never really read the fine print about NOT holding down all the way, and just tilting it. So yeah, me running around, totally not sliding, gave me flashbacks about learning to wavedash in melee. Long nights with luigi at 1/4 speed airdodging into the ground on FD :( I was trying to Bone-SLIDE last night with some success at reduced speed. I found that doing turnip pulls with the soft-tilt (and not my typical MASH THE BUTTONS) before trying to Bone-SLIDE helped me get used to the motion. Still, new things are hard for me :( I have had much better success with the ledge-pulled turnips though, they're pretty kewl~

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
NNID
RicardoAvocado
Lol I don't care what it's called, I just think the name Bone Walking sounds pretty funny xD I just picture something like this

It's a lot shorter than ApplesofDoom Walking, the guy who came up with the B Stick version. Although it may act as an excellent baiting option if you screamed 'APPLES OF DOOOOOOOOM' everytime you did it

Then you could bluff and not do it and hit them with a Fair

But hey, whatever the name is for this is fine by me so long as it's not distasteful

Razmakazi

Smash Champion
I second doom-walking. Bone-walking just sounds so... filthy.
Doom-walking is just the b-stick version though.

Bone-Walking is the B button version.

And Bone-Walking doesn't sound filthy.

Filthy names are:

- Bone-Sliding (lol...)
- Bone-Riding (loool)
- Boning (lol...so blatant)

<__<

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
It'll help beat them :p

G&W has to approach Peach, and Snake can punish turnip pulls really well. Being able to slide away while pulling a turnip helps the MK/G&W/Snake/Marth/DK/Dedede matchups more than anything.

It does almost nothing for Olimar and Diddy though xD

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
ahhhh ahha i just started practicing this, ahh its pretty tough for me

had a few successes, man, it goes farther than i thought if you do it perfectly. its like peach is sliding on a slippery bone or something... :)

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
White Peach and others : Just don't give up learning the trick. I gaurantee you with enough time and effort put into it, anyone can master this. Most of tech skill is just trying over and over no matter how much you fail, eventually it will sink in. It's like learning guitar, by failing you are actually learning.

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
NNID
RicardoAvocado
I can do this 95% now :D

And I second what Edrees said, practice makes perfect. If you keep messing up, just stop, ready yourself again and try it again but try and find the precise timing for it. Continually fox trotting will just annoy you if you don't manage to pull it off. I found it was best to just focus all my attention on Peach and the timing if I was doing it wrong. Eventually, you'll be able to do it whilst concentrating on other things

Also, if you find you continually can't do this, don't focus on trying to do it in the middle of a match, you're likely to run headlong into something or get hit by something. Just use other strategies/the other stuff that'll let you beat your opponent

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
I actually suggest doing this on battlefield (not FD) and putting the cpu on a platform,. the enemy being there is distracting when you are first learning it and will throw off your rhythym

White-Peach

Smash Ace
I practiced it again today~ I got one, ONE Bone-SLIDE. But it was at normal speed, which is an improvement :p There's just such a narrow space right before you crouch that will permit a turnip pull and the slide, I'M NOT A TILTER, I'M A SMASHER GOD****IT :|

Meru.

I like spicy food
NNID
Merudi
3DS FC
0963-1622-2801
You have to tilt yourself to the left/right? :O Didnt even know that ;p I think you do have to "smash" the down and B at the same time though.

culexus・wau

Purchased premium only to change name ><
So this morning I decided to learn this.

And I got it on my 1st try but I can't do it consistently after 5 minutes :c [I keep messing the fox trot lool]

but as long as I get that foxtrot I'm solid.

I'm going to master it today

Get yiffed peach mains that can't do this <3

Peach is fun but she has a really big learning curve :dizzy: Raz Edrees teach me :C

Razmakazi

Smash Champion
Omg Flaaaaaame! <3

:D

go to Active Gamers and I can at least give you basics.

oh and I can do this with about 80 percent consistency. the small streaks when I mess up are annoying though but I totally got this.

Razmakazi

Smash Champion
LOL wow mean. XD

I haven't tried doing it vs actual people in matches but I practice with a lvl 7, 8, or 9 mk chasing me around while I just chuck reverse glide tosses at it lol.

I'm pretty sure I'd be able to do this though by the next time I see you. ;D

hova

Smash Champion
amazing if ur retreating and need a turnip

amazing if you knock an opponent away and are chasing them down; why not pick up a free turnip?

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
Also, if you edgehog metaknight and he tries to go to the other side, you can literally get there before he does if you use this + a glide toss. Ditto for Pit.

It just makes it harder for people to track your movement. I think it's more beneficial for keeping them guessing "is she gonna slide back and turnip" or "is she gonna approach me or stay there" they have to think a heck of a lot more, which keeps people less crisp.

culexus・wau

Purchased premium only to change name ><
Just a Little observation..

it seems to me whenever I do it right it feels like I'm moving the control stick like...

Not Quite a quarter circle, but similar.

hova

Smash Champion
that diagram is pretty dead on

u have to kinda approach the neutral position and then push forward

Top Bottom