• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Secret to Bone-Walking.

White-Peach

Smash Ace
are you guys really pressing the stick all the way down? Because i thought you had to tilt it to the point right before she crouches after the foxtrot and pull the turnip...

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
are you guys really pressing the stick all the way down? Because i thought you had to tilt it to the point right before she crouches after the foxtrot and pull the turnip...
You can't tilt B moves. You have to press them all the way - ie, the game won't let you pull out a turnip if you only tilt the control stick. You have to press it all the way.

White-Peach

Smash Ace
There is a point, right before you crouch, where you can pull a turnip. You dont push the stick all the way down, but you can still pull turnips. I thought that was required but if I don't have to do that... this might be easier lol

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
I actually suggest doing this on battlefield (not FD) and putting the cpu on a platform,. the enemy being there is distracting when you are first learning it and will throw off your rhythym
I did this after I'd got it down by about 50% but it's a good idea doing it from the start all the same. Whatever people find easier

Some things I wanted to throw out: Has anyone actually been using this against other people in a tourney situation where it's proven useful? I've only really been using this vs CPU's and my friends so I can't really tell and trying to do this on Wi Fi is...well lol not worth mentioning

Another thing: Does this slide actually help Peach move around or would it just be easier for her to run the distance of the Turnip slide and pluck one up at the end point instead of fox trotting and then doing a slide and turnip pull?
I don't want to put a downer on this tech, I really really like sliding around pulling up Turnips but we need to outweigh the pros and cons of this tech to see if it's really worth it. It looks flashy and all but if it'd be more practical just to pluck a Turnip up whilst running then the whole slide business is a bit useless since you have no control over Peach during the plucking other than to go forward (e.g. you can't sheild or jump). Though to counter argue that, you are getting the Turnip sooner than you would if you just ran then plucked

hiROI

Smash Lord
Sometimes you can cancel by pressing backwards when she is moving forwards. When I pluck and move, I press backwards and she appears to stop. Testing is needed though

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
So, while you guys are learning the dash pull, I've taken it upon myself to finally learn all my glidetosses. I've always had the forward glidetoss down, but now I'm learning upwards and backwards. I have upwards (to the right) to about 60% - and to the left, maybe 40%.

And just a day ago, I finally did some reverse glidetossing! It was amazing! I did it like five times in a row. :D :D

Meanwhile, my dash pulling is down 100%. Ha ha gloat gloat.

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
The advantage this has over running and pulling a turnip is about punishment. If someone feels like you might pull out a turnip they might run after you and hit you when you stop. If you are moving while pulling the turnip, EVEN if they predict you are going to do it, it's MUCH more difficult to hit a moving object than it is to hit a stationary object. It prevents you from being put in a situation where you might be punished, and that's where the key lies.

It gives you more options in many situations. It makes it tougher for opponents to read you and tougher to punish you. That's why I like it. I don't think mindlessly spamming it does any good. But if suddenly the opponent has to realize that at any moment you have the ability to slide back really fast and grab a turnip with no lag without ever stopping, suddenly they have to worry about being camped and can't space you the way they might want to in some situations. It gives opponents more to think about other than just "she might pull out a turnip, float or attack" There's another method of movement they have to take into account. This is a good edge to have.

Sky`

Smash Lord
Dude. With Edge canceling turnips, and this, You can never stop moving. Seriously it's the key to beating Metaknight, I swear to you.

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
NNID
RicardoAvocado
So, while you guys are learning the dash pull, I've taken it upon myself to finally learn all my glidetosses. I've always had the forward glidetoss down, but now I'm learning upwards and backwards. I have upwards (to the right) to about 60% - and to the left, maybe 40%.

And just a day ago, I finally did some reverse glidetossing! It was amazing! I did it like five times in a row. :D :D

Reverse glide tossing isn't that hard just using the A button and control stick :3 Your dash pulling should be 100% anyway, you B Stick :p

The advantage this has over running and pulling a turnip is about punishment. If someone feels like you might pull out a turnip they might run after you and hit you when you stop. If you are moving while pulling the turnip, EVEN if they predict you are going to do it, it's MUCH more difficult to hit a moving object than it is to hit a stationary object. It prevents you from being put in a situation where you might be punished, and that's where the key lies.

It gives you more options in many situations. It makes it tougher for opponents to read you and tougher to punish you. That's why I like it. I don't think mindlessly spamming it does any good. But if suddenly the opponent has to realize that at any moment you have the ability to slide back really fast and grab a turnip with no lag without ever stopping, suddenly they have to worry about being camped and can't space you the way they might want to in some situations. It gives opponents more to think about other than just "she might pull out a turnip, float or attack" There's another method of movement they have to take into account. This is a good edge to have.
I agree, I just wanted to throw out the idea, it's no good using something when another option is better. You can also bluff this tech since you have to fox trot at the beginning. Your opponent may think you're going to Turnip slide and chase you...and find a Bair in their face the next second :)

Dude. With Edge canceling turnips, and this, You can never stop moving. Seriously it's the key to beating Metaknight, I swear to you.
It is quite cool vs MK since his air speed is very very slow and Tornado/Dash attack will mostly likely not catch up with you if you're doing the Turnip slide a distance from MK (which you should be anyway since the foxtrot leaves you vunerable)
Where would you use this specifically vs MK btw? I've just kind of being using it as a retreating option and then glide tossing backwards or as an approach method when I've knocked MK away so I've got an OoS Turnip to hand or a reverse glide toss escape

Also, something I noticed is that sometimes with this method when sliding off the edge, my 2nd jump is used up and sometimes it's not. I know this happens with some other B Stick tech but could anyone explain to me when and why this happens?

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer

I do reverse glide tosses 110% of the time. Subconsciously. >_>

B-stick fails.

deepseadiva

3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
NO U!

I've been Wii-less for like a month and I just started! >_<

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
I learned to do all of the glide tosses while B-sticking in a matter of 2 minutes. Suck it! xD

White-Peach

Smash Ace
I'm happy to announce that I just started to get the motion for this and am at 30% or so :p It's totally different from my regular dash pulls of smash dstick, quarter circle b. Everything is separate now, dash, down B, and forward tilt to slide :o I'm not used to releasing the stick after the dash (just a tad) to pull the turnip, but i think i have a good idea now (*'-')

r3d d09

Smash Master
seems this is hard/ but not as hard as the desync hylian found... sky can testify xD So is there a video of this? Is this like free pulling or what ever?
I don't Bstick, but i'd love to be able to freepull without it and I've never been able to do it with regular controls. ha

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
So uh...this melee player named Reqy played brawl with me like 5 months ago and was doing this 100% consistency lol and I had never seen it so he showed me how and lol @ people having problems with it.

I just tried it again and got it my first try :laugh:. I don't understand how this is hard, the input is simple >_>.

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
So uh...this melee player named Reqy played brawl with me like 5 months ago and was doing this 100% consistency lol and I had never seen it so he showed me how and lol @ people having problems with it.

I just tried it again and got it my first try :laugh:. I don't understand how this is hard, the input is simple >_>.
Was he B sticking it? I don't believe anyone who says this was easy for them to learn without the B sticking. It takes at least an hour of practice to get down with some slight consistency. I learned to wavedash consitently after a week or two, but this is slightly harder than that.

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
NNID
RicardoAvocado

Lololololol namedrop

Yea I have to agree, I've got this down 100% and it's a tricky at first but once you get the rhythm it isn't that bad

If you can do this, Zelda will have absolute hell vs you xD

White-Peach

Smash Ace
I'm doing it sometimes now x) I LOVE it if just to be able to chase down people faster after knocking them out of reach. I feel like snake, chasing people with mortarslide + regular usmash. 2 turnips instead of one when chasing!

Incidentally, it is also helping my ledge-pull turnips immensely :) I think when I get it down 100%, i'll feel more comfortable camping with it under risky situations :p

Moozle

Smash Champion
I recently found a Peach to play who is like perfect at doing this. I don't think I've seen him mess up once, and it really bothers me that I can't get it down perfect yet :p Me needs more practice.

C.S. Dinah

Smash Champion
I will always need a turnip (cant fight without it)

Someone show me a demonstration on how to do this wonderful AT please?

I have no idea how to make this work for me....

BentoBox

Smash Master
Oh my god the pun potential is amazing <3

I'm more interested about using this IRL!

*unzips pants*

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
NNID
RicardoAvocado
So has everyone got this down yet?

Just bumping the thread cause I'm curious and I was thinking the other day, what does everyone think about using this to set up a slide to F Smash?

We know about the trick where you can F Smash when holding a Turnip by pressing and holding A. My idea is that whilst you're sliding, you quickly press and hold A and then you can F Smash straight away if you do happen to slide towards your opponent

Nothing ground breaking I'm sure but it's easier than faffing around with a airdodge or something and less obvious. You have to be fairly quick with pressing/holding A though otherwise you'll buffer a throw
Edit: I guess you also use this as a nice surprise if you opponent chases you when you're sliding away

Meru.

I like spicy food
NNID
Merudi
3DS FC
0963-1622-2801
That's a good idea, but a badly spaced Fsmash can be punishable, and it's hard to space yourself while approaching with bone-walking. Your edited idea seems better. It makes people guess. Will she do a (reverse) glide toss? Or a Fsmash? Or an aerial? etc.

Anyway, I can do this around 80%. I'm sure that if I would practice this more and better, I could finally master this :D

:053:

deepseadiva

3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
My dash pulls are still perfect. :p

On the other hand, my glidetosses are going well. I can upwards and reverse to the right almost 80% now - but to the left is a different story. My mind gets jumbled whenever I try to imagine doing a reverse glidetoss to the left. Ugh.

Jordun

Smash Rookie
Not to sound like a nub, but what's the best way to use this?
'cos I just find myself doing it away from the person I'm playing..
I don't find it that useful, but I could be using it wrong.

Top Bottom