• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Starfox triangle

Jellybelly

Smash Ace
First things first.

I'm not a furry
I know the roster is set in stone
I know this Thread won't change anything.

Now onto my point

Up until the leak, only one starfox rep was confirmed (Fox). Many people agreed that there were 3 possible candidates

Falco
Krystal
And Wolf

Each of them had a good chance of being in, Krystal as the love interest, Wolf as the villian and Falco because of his Melee popularity

Now that the dust is settled and we have our roster

Would Krystal been a better character to implement than Falco?

If we take a look at the other series

Mario - Bowser - Peach
Link - Ganandorf - Zelda
Fox - Wolf - Falco

Notice the breaking of the pattern, Krystal would have been a better character because the triangle of hero, villian and love interest would have been continued (I know Zelda isn't Links love interest "per-se" but you know what i mean.)

Falco is simply the generic sidekick (no more important than Peppy or Slippy), he was also a clone. Dr.Mario, Pichu and Roy were all clones that didn't return, the only reason people cared about Falco was because he was accidentally made one of the (If not the) best character in melee.

I haven't played starfox adventures, assault or command. But Krystal deserved it more in my opinion simply because she would have added more diversity to the roster and a more interesting storyline for the starfox aspects of the game.

Wolf and Fox fighting over Krystal = wasted opurtunity.

I also wouldn't have minded Krystal having a cloned moveset or a landmaster as her final smash, I just really think she would have added more to the game.

So this is the question. Whats the better triangle?

Fox - Wolf - Falco
Or
Fox - Wolf - Krystal?

Knight-errant

Smash Apprentice
Or what about fox-falco-krystal?

In any case, I'm happy with any of those "triangles," including the one that did end up being the actual roster.

DalzK

Smash Apprentice
I dunno I think the other 17 new characters are enough. fox falco wolf - 2 heroes and a villain. I think with krystal being introduced they wud have to take out fox/falco (no thanks :S) or wolf, meaning there wud be no villain. Seems good to me as it is :)

Jellybelly

Smash Ace
Or what about fox-falco-krystal?

In any case, I'm happy with any of those "triangles," including the one that did end up being the actual roster.
I actually like Wolf as character, and his character design.

I hate using the term "baddass" but thats what wolf actually is, he's like an "anti-Fox"

But Falco doesn't really fit, he's really just a nod to fox/falco melee players.

SHUCKLE MAN

Smash Cadet
Well, I wanted Katt in, being Falco's love interest and my favorite video-game character, but I guess she hadn't appeared in enough games, although her personality was very developed from her first appearance.

I've never really been a fan of Krystal, so I'm happy with the trio we have now. But Star Fox being one of my favorite Nintendo series, I'd've liked all 5 of them to be in the game.

phanna

Dread Phanna
BRoomer
I'm glad you've noticed that many game series' have a damsel in distress (Peach, Zelda). However, that's no reason to determine a cast listing for Brawl, and moreover, it's already been determined. Spilt milk.

That aside, your reasoning isn't even valid in of itself - after all, the pokemon have no gender, and MOTHER gave us 2 boys (Yaoi?)

Jellybelly

Smash Ace
I'm glad you've noticed that many game series' have a damsel in distress (Peach, Zelda). However, that's no reason to determine a cast listing for Brawl, and moreover, it's already been determined. Spilt milk.

That aside, your reasoning isn't even valid in of itself - after all, the pokemon have no gender, and MOTHER gave us 2 boys (Yaoi?)
I'm simply pointing out whats been done previously, and as i specifically posted to avoid such accusations, i know this thread won't change anything.

Starfox had the most obvious and interesting female character to add, yet it chose to adknowledge the falco/fox mainers in melee instead

firedragon_jing

Smash Ace
Fox - Wolf - Krystal

I've been going for that since I got Assault. I never really liked Falco much, he was always such a jerk in the games, all the way back to Star Fox for the SNES.

Machete

Smash Ace
We don't need Krystal.

Fox, Falco and Wolf represent the best part of the series. Krystal represents the worst part.

Also, both Falco and Wolf are far better characters than her.

Soluble Toast

Smash Ace
NNID
solubletoast
3DS FC
2165-6410-7964
Peach and Zelda were chosen because they are 3/4 of the time crucial parts to the plot.
Zelda- because she is the bearer of wisdom. Without her, the legend of the triforce would be incomplete. Most Zelda stories revolve around the Triforce, and their 3 bearers. The Hero, the princess, and the Dark King.
Peach- Most Mario game wouldn't have taken place without the kidnap of Peach.

Krsystal is not as important to the starfox franchise as Peach, or Zelda are to their respective franchise. Wolf is arguably considerably more important to Starfox.

Mama

Smash Ace
Wanting Krystal over Wolf is a pointless argument. Krystal along with them? Sure. But Wolf is Fox's rival. Everybody needs a rival. Especially since the main bad guy is a giant monkey head. Also Theres no triangle or pattern for either of those. Mario-Bowser-Peach-Yoshi can all be bunched up together. You could even throw in Donkey Kong and lets not forget about Wario. And Toon Link throws another stumbling block in your comparisons. The reason I wanted Krystal to make it was Smash not having enough female characters. I'm not even a fan of hers.

Wolf is cooler than Krystal imo and makes for a better choice since Krystal was sort of introduced in a not so stellar game. Whereas Wolf is classic.

Revven

FrankerZ
No, I do not agree with this. I like the way it currently is and wouldn't have it any other way. If Krystal was in over Wolf, Falco would be the way he is now, not as good as he used to be. Not only that, but, I wouldn't have Wolf as my secondary and we'd be stuck with the choices of Fox and Falco for those of us who don't like Krystal's playstyle. Essentially, with Falco being slightly nerfed and not really the way I want him to be I'd probably still pick him anyway because I like him more than Krystal.

I wanted Wolf in Brawl and ****, I'm happy I got him.

Mediator

Smash Journeyman

now in diamond and pearl there are physical differences whether they incorporated that into brawl I haven't a clue but if not it is safe to say pikachu is male and due to the girlie out fits jiggs is prob. a girl. but it really doesn't matter b/c as we have all seen although Sheik had been referenced to be a girl in melee via trophy everyone said that she was a he so there you go, everything in brawl is a matter of opinion not a fact.

and please put away the yaoi ,

dear lord.

SAMaine

Smash Journeyman
I think in Smash Bros. 4, the big three (Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon) will have 5 characters, likely Geno, Toon Zelda/Tetra, and the return of Mewtwo. Thus Star Fox in SSB4 can have Krystal, along with Fox, Falco, and Wolf. Perhaps DK, Metroid, F-Zero, and Pikmin will gain another character, along with adding new series.

Rampage

vx
I don't like you or your logic. Anyway, Yeah krystal would have been nice since she's a female character and probably wouldn't have been a clone. BUT Falco was already popular in the starfox games and when melee came out he was freaking sweet so if falco was not in it would be completely stupid. Since you haven't played any starfox games then You probably don't know that wolf and falco deserve the spot more than krystal. Just because both wolf and falco have been there since the beginning. Krystal came along basically by accident since starfox adventures wasn't supposed to be a starfox game. so in short. Krystal would be cool, but overall she just doesn't deserve it as much as the veterans.

Darkraid

Smash Champion
U know what I am a krystal and I hate wolf. But now when I saw wolf in action, I thought having him wasn't such a bad idea afer all. However, Fox, Falco, Krystal & Wolf in brawl would be perfect, same as bringing mewtwo back.

TempestFunk

Smash Cadet
Mario > Luigi > Bowser
Link > Toon Link > Ganandorf
Fox > Falco > Wolf

Seems to fit to me,
Hero > Hero inspired move-set > villain

Rarzy

Smash Journeyman
WOLF WOLF WOLF! no krystal. just how i wanted it and just how it is. i'm happy

7-up

Smash Cadet
The way to solve everything.

Wolf vs Krystal

No items

Final destination

The survivor gets the spot. GO!

Jellybelly

Smash Ace
I don't like you or your logic. .
You don't know me AT ALL, so shut the **** up.

BTW i own lylat wars so i am aware of the starfox franchise.

---

This isn't an argument against Wolfs inclusion, this is against Falco's (This was stated in the first post)

Wolf adds badassness and a rival

Krystal adds romanticism and more females

Falco, again adds badassness but is actually nerfed from his melee version.

the mario and link triangles were examples of how the hero-damsel-villian was used succesfully, and instead of badassness and romance you simply get more badassness (man i hate that term.) Krystal would have added more, that justs obvious.

And Roy and definitely mewtwo deserved it just as much as Falco and didn't get in.

Aryman

Smash Master
3DS FC
1934-0665-4529
I would have agreed with Krystal being in simply because the game needed more female characters. Besides that, Falco has always been one of the more popular SF characters, simply because of his personality.

Desruprot

Smash Lord
Peach and Zelda were chosen because they are 3/4 of the time crucial parts to the plot.
Zelda- because she is the bearer of wisdom. Without her, the legend of the triforce would be incomplete. Most Zelda stories revolve around the Triforce, and their 3 bearers. The Hero, the princess, and the Dark King.
Peach- Most Mario game wouldn't have taken place without the kidnap of Peach.

Krsystal is not as important to the starfox franchise as Peach, or Zelda are to their respective franchise. Wolf is arguably considerably more important to Starfox.
Right on, and a good argument to say, I agree

AlbelNox

Smash Journeyman
We don't need Krystal.

Fox, Falco and Wolf represent the best part of the series. Krystal represents the worst part.

Also, both Falco and Wolf are far better characters than her.
Quoted for truth. Falco and Wolf love FOREVAH.

JusDBerube

Smash Cadet
Fox-Falco-Wolf is better. Anyone who wanted Krystal over Wolf is crazy IMO. Krystal was introduced when the Star Fox series started to take a dive in quality. I know many big Star Fox fans and well all agree that Krystal is the second worst Star Fox team member. The worst being Tricky.

I'd rather have a good villain from Star Fox then a horrible character like Krystal. Magic has no place in the Star Fox series and the team Telepath is a stupid idea. Wolf > Krystal.

Crayola

Smash Cadet
Falco is simply the generic sidekick (no more important than Peppy or Slippy), he was also a clone. Dr.Mario, Pichu and Roy were all clones that didn't return, the only reason people cared about Falco was because he was accidentally made one of the (If not the) best character in melee.

Fox - Wolf - Falco
Or
Fox - Wolf - Krystal?
You did NOT just call Falco a "generic sidekick". Falco is a nod to Melee players? How about Falco is in because he has been a STAPLE of the franchise from the BEGINNING? How about Falco being in because Star Fox fans love him? How about Falco being in because he has more personality than most other SF characters?

Falco, Slippy and Peppy have the most character out of the ENTIRE cast, while Krystal is bland, boring and generic, AND is part of Star Fox's 'downward spiral.' What's particularly annoying is when people try to create pointless formulaic constructions to justify certain characters being in Brawl, like "Hero, Villain, Love Interest". Don't make me laugh -- Fox, Falco and Wolf are the most popular SF characters, which is why they are in. SIMPLY PUT.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
If the game Krystal was introduced in was an excellent game (and agreed upon by many StarFox veterans), would you all still feel the same way?

Machete

Smash Ace
You don't know me AT ALL, so shut the **** up.

BTW i own lylat wars so i am aware of the starfox franchise.

---

This isn't an argument against Wolfs inclusion, this is against Falco's (This was stated in the first post)

Wolf adds badassness and a rival

Krystal adds romanticism and more females

Falco, again adds badassness but is actually nerfed from his melee version.

the mario and link triangles were examples of how the hero-damsel-villian was used succesfully, and instead of badassness and romance you simply get more badassness (man i hate that term.) Krystal would have added more, that justs obvious.

And Roy and definitely mewtwo deserved it just as much as Falco and didn't get in.
Falco is Fox's sidekick, one of the most popular characters of the franchise and one of the most recognizable. He's Fox's Luigi. Also, he's badass, as you said. And a popular character in Melee (popular because he was too powerful, but popular). He's a iconic StarFox character, Falco deserved to be in.

We don't need Krystal because she's a character who represents the worst part of the series, and she's one of the worst characters.

Also, no, Roy didn't deserve to be in. He's a bad lord (both Ike and Marth are far better than him), his game was game, and, there were better choices, like Sigurd of Micaiah.

Mewtwo is the only axed character who deserved to be in.

Ampleforth

Smash Cadet
The triangle argument isn't even valid, because the only time it parallels the hero-villain-female is link-ganon-zelda. There's no "pattern," since saying the Mario series does the same ignores Luigi and Yoshi's existence in the game; Pokemon and Kirby each have 3 representatives and neither follow the "pattern."

So this is the question. Whats the better triangle?

Fox - Wolf - Falco
Or
Fox - Wolf - Krystal?
The one that was officially released.

Top Bottom