• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The State of Brawl in Japan: 3rd Update 14/02/10

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
The japanese play no different than the rest of the world. If they come up with a tier list right away, its not going to be accurate. The only thing that is different, is that they play the game with different rules, more stages are banned, which can help certain characters do much better, if all the stages are the same.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
The japanese play no different than the rest of the world. If they come up with a tier list right away, its not going to be accurate. The only thing that is different, is that they play the game with different rules, more stages are banned, which can help certain characters do much better, if all the stages are the same.
I disagree, culture plays a huge role in a variety of ways.

1. What characters are played. Perfect example, Sonic is a great deal more popular in the US then in Japan, so US players put the time and effort into creating a viable lower mid-tier metagame for him. The Japanese don't like him, therefore lack the dedication.

2. What skills are concentrated on, in japan there seems to be an emphasis on execution owing to a culture that emphasizes perfection (note japanese suicide rates and note the reasons). Americans tend to not have that skill but make up for it with better abilities to read opponents and utilize this.

Honestly, number 2 is probably most important for C tier and up, ICs for example, are our ICs better or is their anti-IC metagame better? For the first, the lesser emphasis on reading your opponents makes a grab more difficult. On the other hand, impeccible spacing and SDI make it harder to get the grab. My opinion is that spacing is the major reason, but this could be interpreted in a variety of ways.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
2. What skills are concentrated on, in japan there seems to be an emphasis on execution owing to a culture that emphasizes perfection (note japanese suicide rates and note the reasons). Americans tend to not have that skill but make up for it with better abilities to read opponents and utilize this.
Search "yamada niceplay" on Youtube.

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
I disagree, culture plays a huge role in a variety of ways.

1. What characters are played. Perfect example, Sonic is a great deal more popular in the US then in Japan, so US players put the time and effort into creating a viable lower mid-tier metagame for him. The Japanese don't like him, therefore lack the dedication.

Honestly, number 2 is probably most important for C tier and up, ICs for example, are our ICs better or is their anti-IC metagame better? For the first, the lesser emphasis on reading your opponents makes a grab more difficult. On the other hand, impeccible spacing and SDI make it harder to get the grab. My opinion is that spacing is the major reason, but this could be interpreted in a variety of ways.
Sounds like stereo typing to me. American's have the same amount of skill as the Japanese players or maybe even better. In japanese culture they put a lot of effort into working and schooling over there, therefore, they do not have enough time to play brawl. American's don't have as much time demanding school schedules and work schedules, for the most part. That's why the american's are more polished in playing this game.

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
Sounds like stereo typing to me. American's have the same amount of skill as the Japanese players or maybe even better. In japanese culture they put a lot of effort into working and schooling over there, therefore, they do not have enough time to play brawl. American's don't have as much time demanding school schedules and work schedules, for the most part. That's why the american's are more polished in playing this game.
dont make assumptions based on stereotypes, please. most of the players i know either dont work or study, or do very little of either. and thats factual.

culexus・wau

Purchased premium only to change name ><
How do they Play Luc and DK in Japan?

I kinda wondered how they play Luc overseas and why DK was so low there :>

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
Very interesting OP. I'd love to see some up to date videos of them. Can you ask them what they think of my Waluigi project? :) (threads in the workshop)

-Ran

Smash Master
How about this? Ask them [The Japanese players] to create a play list on youtube of their 'Best of' matches. We could do the same and have a cultural exchange. What we really need is someone that is bilingual to arbitrate this. Also, if Japan would host a national tournament with a large enough pot, I'm sure that at least some of our most talented smashers would go.

PS: If both players have bad spacing, the winning player appears to have the best. >>

phi1ny3

Not the Mama

I've seen some of them (learned how to type Lucario in japanese to do this lol)
They're okay, kinda bland though. I kind of think they need more mixup power, but you know, Lucario's lucario.

Ran Iji's idea is a good one, maybe we could use Samurai Panda/Innocent Road as ambassadors or something lol.

Very interesting OP. I'd love to see some up to date videos of them. Can you ask them what they think of my Waluigi project? :) (threads in the workshop)
That does bring up an interesting point. Are there actually any major brawl hack projects going on overseas anywhere, or are they all local stuff. A few twix here and there. Without access to a major database like SWF, I would think that any brawl projects like that are actually rather small. And typically held within a local community instead of open access like here in SWF.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
tbh good Japanese Lucarios are hard to come by, they're usually stupidly predictable, but I'd need guidance on "who's the best" lucario, since I've only had my pool of japanese youtube videos to see from.
smot, would you happen to know who's regarded as the best Lucario there? Because the best videos I've found are more of this caliber:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bt9HCq10V30&translated=1
which imho if this is the best, they need to exploit fair and nair more.

Nixernator

Smash Ace
Have you played any ZSS's over there Attila?
I'm actually totally interested with japanese ZSS's, I can sense crazy comboes possibly. Also can you explain the spacing/use of Fox's Nair in Japan a bit more?
Cheers mate.

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer

sorry, i havent seen either. ill keep my eyes peeled. although im pretty sure dk struggles with both camp foxes and pits, so it might explain why he's so low.

i havent even seen texture hacks here, so i doubt any real use of them. although i will ask.

How about this? Ask them [The Japanese players] to create a play list on youtube of their 'Best of' matches. We could do the same and have a cultural exchange. What we really need is someone that is bilingual to arbitrate this. Also, if Japan would host a national tournament with a large enough pot, I'm sure that at least some of our most talented smashers would go.

PS: If both players have bad spacing, the winning player appears to have the best. >>
fantastic idea. that being said, they already know most of our best players (m2k, ally, lain, etc) and have seen how they play. but i will make the proposition.

That does bring up an interesting point. Are there actually any major brawl hack projects going on overseas anywhere, or are they all local stuff. A few twix here and there. Without access to a major database like SWF, I would think that any brawl projects like that are actually rather small. And typically held within a local community instead of open access like here in SWF.
as i said to cs, there doesnt seem to be.

Have you played any ZSS's over there Attila?
I'm actually totally interested with japanese ZSS's, I can sense crazy comboes possibly. Also can you explain the spacing/use of Fox's Nair in Japan a bit more?
Cheers mate.
foxes nair goes for ages (punish spotdodges and airdodges), cancels very quickly, has very little knockback (sourspot), comes out in 4 frames and has decent hitstun. it links combos and strings mainly when ff, cause you can follow with a grab or whatever and try it again. things like that.

i saw one zss, but i didnt think too much of him. i won fairly easily despite really not knowing the mu. ill try and find you a good one.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
This is taking cultural truisms and applying it to people's attitudes. Stereotypes develop from those truisms, so it's more cultural psychology then anything else.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Agree with the list, except for peach and zss (higher) :<

and ic and pika and diddy and pit is a tad lower : O

this list sux : D

Ledger_Damayn

Smash Ace
Yeah because Flashy definitely means more efficient.
Watch his videos, he doesn't do it just to be flashy, he applies them when they are useful. But regardless, I was mainly just continuing with this sentiment because people are spewing their guts about how "flashy" Japanese players are and I have really yet to see it.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Watch his videos, he doesn't do it just to be flashy, he applies them when they are useful. But regardless, I was mainly just continuing with this sentiment because people are spewing their guts about how "flashy" Japanese players are and I have really yet to see it.
The thing is, just because you apply flashy techs efficiently doesn't mean there aren't people who apply basic techs more efficiently and therefore is better.

Remember, M2K>Silent Wolf.

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
Nice read man only wish we can get their tier list more official like ours in the states and isn't Ganon suppose to be lower and Jiggs suppose to be higher?

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
Nice read man only wish we can get their tier list more official like ours in the states and isn't Ganon suppose to be lower and Jiggs suppose to be higher?
I also want JP video's? the only one's i have seen is Masashi's Pit and he *****.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Japanese Lucario's are too predictable/aren't using moves correctly. Why would you throw out a Fair if your opponent was that far away from you?

napZzz

Smash Hero
whats funny to me is how everyone is calling the japanese flashy. I keep up with a youtube user ssbmania1 is his link to his channel I think who uploads japanese tourney matches and friendlies and i've always thought they were just as "gay" as american players if not worse lol. Noone really does anything flashy, they just play different and do different things and for some reason people are assuming that since its not our way its some sort of slashy playstyle.

If anything the japanese are more basic and do what it takes to win matches.

Anyone who disagrees probably hasn't kept up with or seen very videos of them lol

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Japanese Lucario's are being overly flashy.
They approach when they could camp at higher percents, since AS at higher percents becomes an overall better projectile in terms of outcamping some characters and increasing in size, damage, and knockback.
They use mixups that are riskier, like trying to frame trap with dsmash.
I do have to admit that they use their full hop vertical zoning a lot more than their American counterparts, which is both good and bad.
They really like uair, which I think is because it gives the appearance of a dramatic height change in character before coming down with dair, which I guess helps in terms of "mindgames".

I think the characters that tend to play more "campy" there from what I've seen are Falco, Pit, and Fox, and even then, depends on how you view what's campy or not.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
whats funny to me is how everyone is calling the japanese flashy. I keep up with a youtube user ssbmania1 is his link to his channel I think who uploads japanese tourney matches and friendlies and i've always thought they were just as "gay" as american players if not worse lol. Noone really does anything flashy, they just play different and do different things and for some reason people are assuming that since its not our way its some sort of slashy playstyle.

If anything the japanese are more basic and do what it takes to win matches.

Anyone who disagrees probably hasn't kept up with or seen very videos of them lol
I wouldn't say that no one does anything flashy. I've seen disk play and he's pretty flashy maybe it was just because of his opponent being bad but he was doing things that just wouldn't work normally.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
In other words this thread causes a lot of misunderstood generalizations about everyone, including this statement.
I iz magic.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Anyway... Shmot, have you heard of a Sonic player named RATS over there?

I'm not going to make you give him an interview, but can you at least tell him that we (we being, I guess, Sonic players from USA or whatever) said "hi"?

Astartes

Smash Rookie
Im am really confused why Ganon is at the top of F tier. everything he does is so easy to punish. also the whole fox thing confuses me. some of our players should head over there and see what is up. i would love if the smash community became a little more international.

Dominic

Smash Apprentice
Ice climbers placing on japan tier list makes me lol bad. If you are not MK, you are bound to get grabbed at least once if not twice in a game.
you don't understand swordgard

"Ice climbers... When you're as perfect as they are, you don't get grabbed. Perfect spacing and auto-cancelling, and you can slowly chip Nana away until there is only Popo left. They don't rate Ics very highly because they don't really have any grab setups, so they can really only get a grab if the opponent makes a mistake."

Ledger_Damayn

Smash Ace
you don't understand swordgard

"Ice climbers... When you're as perfect as they are, you don't get grabbed. Perfect spacing and auto-cancelling, and you can slowly chip Nana away until there is only Popo left. They don't rate Ics very highly because they don't really have any grab setups, so they can really only get a grab if the opponent makes a mistake."
I said it before, and I'll say it again. Being Asian is not a freaking superpower. There is no real reason why the top players in Japan should be head and shoulders above the top players in America. They evidently play differently. "Better" or "worse" don't make sense in this context since the metagames are so different, one clearly needs to play differently to win in that scene.

If they were really perfect, matches would time out every match because they would predict and perfect shield every possible approach. In reality, such things as traps and mindgames do exist, and there are several situations in which IC's have a very good chance of scoring a grab if played correctly.

Top Bottom