• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Temple of Time~The Zelda Tournament and Video Archive~Vids Critiqued Here!

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
FINALLY finished uploading my vids. A lot of them have messed up music, but meh, whatevs. These're all friendlies with my crewmates, four of whom (Squall, Kingtoon, MIB, Ebo) are ranked in PA.

The sets aren't really sets either, I just put them together since they were played on the same day around the same time.

Doubles:
+ :dedede: TUSM vs. :wario: MIB + :peach: Phillyrider - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLW4fA
gIBJM - Copy/paste this link instead of clicking. ****ing censor. Too lazy to dodge creatively.
+ :snake: :rob: TUSM vs. :snake: :lucario: Squall + :toonlink: Kingtoon - R1 R2
+ :dedede: TUSM vs. :snake: Squall + :pit: :rob: TACK - R1 R2 R3
+ :snake: :lucario: Squall vs. :snake: :dk2: Ebo + :kirby2: TACK - R1 R2 R3
+ :zelda: Squall vs. :ike: TUSM + :peach: Phillyrider - R1

Singles:
vs. :snake: Squall - R1 - Didn't see not one of those C4s, lol. I got Vex's glasses now, tho, so I'm good. =D

Looking for critique on these even though a majority of them are wins. If I play really safe, I can do the stock tank + Din's routine pretty well, but our team tends to fall apart if there's a superior camper (ex: Wario, TL) on the other team or if either of us are having an off day. With our strategy, one person can't really carry the other, so I'm looking for ways to be a little more active while not playing stupid.

I could always switch to Pika, but I wanna go all Zelda for teams if possible. :ohwell: I'm thinking one problem is that I don't go for early kills enough..... especially LKs.

Also point out any habits of mine you see, although I'm aware of the major ones: silly spotdodges/rolls, airdodging into people, dsmash overuse, jab underuse, and nairing OOS way too much (comes from playing Pika...... x.x). I also need to practice my LKs..... I gave up going for them during my wifi phase, so I kinda suck at landing them or even attempting them. :urg:

We were also drunk/high for some of these, but I won't say which ones...... ;;

Put them in the archive if you want, don't really care since they're just bull**** friendlies for the most part.

tl;dr: Watch & critique plz.

GodAtHand

Smash Lord
Only watched the doubles matches.

I feel weird critiquing people...

Some things I noticed:
- When you are sent off stage w/ an opponent you tend do go on the defense most of the time. At lower percents I would recommend going offensive. I surprise lighting kick has a good chance to hit because you are both flying at the same trajectory and if you miss it is quick enough to still retreat afterwards. And when you hit with a lk at even 50% offstage it often means death for your opponent.
- Most of your zelda game is very good, I just think you need to work on your lightning kicks. I could tell exactly when you where fishing for them and your opponents could to. Just some general practice on when to use for a surprise and stuff like that, most lk don't come from chasing after your opponents with them.
- You did surprisingly well in the 2 on 1 situation with Zelda nice job.
- Your team strat works well and is familiar. But I feel like you avoid non-camp action more than you need to. Sometimes it is alright for you to go for the kill, because they are expecting your partner to be trying to get it. You may be able to kill them earlier than he can in some situations. And this way they won't think to gang up on you for being the camper. This doesn't apply for all rounds of course.

I liked your vids though! Some funny **** lol.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Thanks, Riot! I really appreciate the feedback..... and I agree with pretty much everything you said.

Definitely gonna work on LKs. I feel like only half a Zelda without them. ;;

@1v2: Lol, I was soooo ready to bring it back after I got TUSM killed...... I was drunk and had the weird urge to take everyone out at the end. But then came the scrub moment..... didn't think TL's usmash would poke Zelda's legs like that. -______- Oops.

Bobby, where you at? You promised me critique too...... !

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
*sees Marth get hit by Din's Fire multiple times*

*closes video*

But seriously, good **** GreyFox. =P

GreyFox86

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1951-0169-9972
Switch FC
SW-4494-3990-4799
GreyFox :zelda: vs ??? :marth:

Was sent a replay of this match, pretty fun to watch. I don't know the details though. I just know it was from hobo24 >.> lol.
The sad thing is....I don't remember this fight at all....

:(

EDIT: HOOOO SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIII......I remember now. This was against Viper. My first round match. My only victory until I ran into these two

Jerm & ShadowPJ

Veggie123

Smash Journeyman
So here's me vs Arty, r2 of a $1 "money match"... or basically him losing a dollar if he loses a set :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RU6BDhAum40

The ending is kind of dumb, but hopefully it doesn't take away from the rest of an otherwise ok match :)

You all can laugh at my terrible powershielding skillz :(

ps: I used Kain's tag cause I didn't have mine and he said his didn't have any weird controls

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
So here's me vs Arty, r2 of a $1 "money match"... or basically him losing a dollar if he loses a set :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RU6BDhAum40

The ending is kind of dumb, but hopefully it doesn't take away from the rest of an otherwise ok match :)

You all can laugh at my terrible powershielding skillz :(

ps: I used Kain's tag cause I didn't have mine and he said his didn't have any weird controls
fail shooting SD is fail, but still entertaining, i loved the 2nd stock 0-70 lol.

what Zelda texture is that

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
Veg that 0-70 something was amazing lol...

I think the second stock death could have been prevented if you hadn't DI'd and airdodged into him as he charged that Fsmash.

Veggie123

Smash Journeyman
thanks for the comments guys, it's proof to show that I still play haha

and yeah, I shouldn't have airdodged into him (or that early either)...the wavebounced laser was kind of confusing though!

so if you can tell i'm posting more it's because the semester ends soon and i'm super procrastinating!

#HBC | Scary

Hype Incarnate
NNID
ScaryLB59
C.E.O (6/6/10)
17th out of 41 Singles
Not even worth mentioning in Teams (But I think I figured it out)

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=276980

Defeated 8-Bit (Snake/MK) 2-0 [60/40 Sheik]
Defeated CANDY (Snake/MK) 2-0 [50/50 Sheik/Zelda]
Lost to Meroknight (MK) 0-2 [All Zelda]
Lost to hiROI (Peach w/ 300+ Turnips) 1-2 [80/20 Zelda]

I went more Zelda than Sheik in this tourney. Zelda has become more of my MK person because Sheik gets gimped a lot from time to time, all depending on if I can avoid it lol. CANDY is really good lol. I beat his Snake with Sheik and his MK with Zelda.

I need help with Peach, really bad. I can't fight her with Zelda or Sheik. If they spam to that point, what can I do? seriously?

As far as my two losses, Peach spam is bad and EXTREMELY CLOSE matches with Mero. I need Peach Help!

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Turnip spam, I assume?

I try to use airdodges to catch turnips and get away at the same time (ridiculous air speed ftw), but then you're left with a turnip in your hand, which kind of annoys me. Depends how good you are with items I guess. Otherwise, staying close enough that she can't pull safely is the best option.

With good spacing, nair seems to beat all of her aerials except for fair. Dash attack > badly spaced Peach dairs. Don't spam usmash. Always tilt your shield up so you don't get poked as easily.

Her airdodge is mcgarbgarb, so Din's actually works okay-ish vs. Peach since you probably don't wanna go off-stage against her. (If she's smart, she'll opt for an aerial instead to cancel it.) It also makes it easier to hit her with uair if you can knock her up high. And LKs.

Hitting her with dtilt is pretty much impossible. -____- Which is annoying. But we kill much earlier provided you don't get turnip gimped or outright edgeguarded to death.

That's all I can contribute. ;___; Riot or Mikey can probably give much, much better advice since they have all the good Peach exp! I have one in my crew, but I mainly only play him in dubs, and he's good but not amazing.

GodAtHand

Smash Lord
I do a lot of turnip catching in this matchup. Mix it up between catching them safely with an airdodge and catching them while approaching with a dash attack or airiel. Typically in the air if Peach is close I will try to simultaneously catch the turnip and attack her.

When Peach is recovering is your real chance to take the lead. Peach's recovery is typically very one directional (especially if you hit her with a Dsmash). She will float over allowing you to try to LK her especially since you know what height she will be at. She will try to either beat you out with one of her air moves or drop low and use her jump and upB. Try not to use your second hump before you try to LK her that way you can get back on the stage before her if you miss and still be in a good position. When Peach is grabbing the edge a well spaced Fsmash really freaks her out. If you space well enough she won't be able to do that ledge drop to Fair thing Peach's love and her best option will probably be to jump up which puts her above you.

If you see Peach glide tossing a lot that is when I would start using Din's at mid range, oftentimes the Peach with think of it as an opportunity but then get hit by Din's and her turnip will disappear. Don't do that too much but it does work occasionally.

Practice with turnips. Remember that Zelda can glide toss well, she can drop them while in the air, etc. come up with some stuff on your own that will make Peach not want you to have them out of fear.

I also recommend using Nayru's maybe once a match at the most for a surprise reflection. Because of how often we don't use it they often forget we have it.

The real reason you will win this match is because of earlier kills don't hesitate to trade anything Peach throws at you for a lightning kick that might kill. Even a fresh Peach forward air DI'd well and momentum cancelled can't kill us fresh until about 125%. I LK or Up Air can end her at like 70%

Mikey Lenetia

Smash Champion
NNID
MikeyLenetia
I do a lot of turnip catching in this matchup. Mix it up between catching them safely with an airdodge and catching them while approaching with a dash attack or airiel. Typically in the air if Peach is close I will try to simultaneously catch the turnip and attack her.
Turnip catching IS nice, and Zelda has a good time of being able to do so. The only problem there is that Peach overall is a heck of a lot faster than us as Zelda. Once Peach gets used to how Zelda works, she'll either camp you harder or bait aggressive responses and punish us in our lag. Since, for the most part, we lack great, speedy aerials on startup and cooldown can be just awful, even if we use bair. Basically, if Peach sets us up right, then we're only playing into her hands and opening ourselves to punishment, but it's better than sitting in our shields most of the time if they get too greedy.

When Peach is recovering is your real chance to take the lead. Peach's recovery is typically very one directional (especially if you hit her with a Dsmash). She will float over allowing you to try to LK her especially since you know what height she will be at. She will try to either beat you out with one of her air moves or drop low and use her jump and upB. Try not to use your second jump before you try to LK her that way you can get back on the stage before her if you miss and still be in a good position. When Peach is grabbing the edge a well spaced Fsmash really freaks her out. If you space well enough she won't be able to do that ledge drop to Fair thing Peach's love and her best option will probably be to jump up which puts her above you.
In all other cases outside of dsmash trajectory, however, Peach will frequently cover most of the distance higher up, or if she's feeling like it, lower than what's normally safe for us to follow with either kick. Typically, unless the Peach made a miscalculation, she can do either to get closer to the stage, and the only safe harassment we can give her is Din's. The problem here is that all Peach has to do is nair, and the entire duration of the move cancels all forms of Din's, so it isn't like she even has to be precise about counteracting it. The more dangerous Peach players, like the ones that know the match-up, will not be throwing haphazard moves out to meet you, but instead will wait to see where we go due to Zelda's telegraphed moves and go from there. She can afford to, due to her extremely floaty nature, and her float, where we don't have such a luxury. On top of this, Peach's low second jump actually allows her to drop, jump up, and grab the ledge out of fsmash threat range, so some Peach players will not be intimidated by the sparkles.

On top of this, on the ledge, if she somehow didn't have to use her float, she gains a surefire way to go from the ledge to the stage and us being able to do nothing about it. She can cancel her ledge jump into her float, granting her guaranteed invincibility enough to possibly grab, nair, jab, shield, roll, or dodge. Over 100%, it's not as viable, but her ledge attack becomes ours before 100%, giving her a pretty good clear-out attack with more range and the added benefit of invincibility, and might even push us out of punishment range.

And let's not go into when we have to recover against Peach. That in itself is mainly why I feel Peach has the advantage... considering she can usmash us out of our reentry from Farore's, and that's her number one killing move.

If you see Peach glide tossing a lot that is when I would start using Din's at mid range, oftentimes the Peach with think of it as an opportunity but then get hit by Din's and her turnip will disappear. Don't do that too much but it does work occasionally.

Practice with turnips. Remember that Zelda can glide toss well, she can drop them while in the air, etc. come up with some stuff on your own that will make Peach not want you to have them out of fear.

I also recommend using Nayru's maybe once a match at the most for a surprise reflection. Because of how often we don't use it they often forget we have it.
Don't abuse either option for sure, too. If you start setting up for glide tosses, Peach can punish you for that by either trading with the turnip and hitting Zelda, Toading the turnip and stopping anything that could be done, or even hitting Zelda and possibly recatching the turnip as Zelda comes in. As long as you don't abuse Zelda's wonderful glide toss, you'll be able to possibly catch Peach off-guard, especially considering it goes even further than her own. Those that know this, though, won't be as caught off-guard.

The real reason you will win this match is because of earlier kills don't hesitate to trade anything Peach throws at you for a lightning kick that might kill. Even a fresh Peach forward air DI'd well and momentum cancelled can't kill us fresh until about 125%. I LK or Up Air can end her at like 70%
I think uair does kill her at those percents, but depending on her own momentum cancelling and where she is on the stage might not end up KOing Peach with a LK, especially if she has access to a down thrown turnip, her fastest means of starting it off. Uair... yeah. That's awfully painful. You simply cannot afford to NOT capitalize on such openings. If you're too timid to do so, you will lose, and lose badly. Peach does have the advantage in most situations, but this isn't a hopeless case for Zelda. She just needs to be the ultimate opportunist.

Bandit

Smash Lord
C.E.O (6/6/10)
17th out of 41 Singles
Not even worth mentioning in Teams (But I think I figured it out)

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=276980

Defeated 8-Bit (Snake/MK) 2-0 [60/40 Sheik]
Defeated CANDY (Snake/MK) 2-0 [50/50 Sheik/Zelda]
Lost to Meroknight (MK) 0-2 [All Zelda]
Lost to hiROI (Peach w/ 300+ Turnips) 1-2 [80/20 Zelda]

I went more Zelda than Sheik in this tourney. Zelda has become more of my MK person because Sheik gets gimped a lot from time to time, all depending on if I can avoid it lol. CANDY is really good lol. I beat his Snake with Sheik and his MK with Zelda.

I need help with Peach, really bad. I can't fight her with Zelda or Sheik. If they spam to that point, what can I do? seriously?

As far as my two losses, Peach spam is bad and EXTREMELY CLOSE matches with Mero. I need Peach Help!
Great job against Candy. He was ranked #1 on the MD/VA Power Rankings, and they are removing him from that spot due to his loss against you.

Their reaction... "He lost to a Zelda? HAHA WOW!"

#HBC | Scary

Hype Incarnate
NNID
ScaryLB59
Great job against Candy. He was ranked #1 on the MD/VA Power Rankings, and they are removing him from that spot due to his loss against you.

Their reaction... "He lost to a Zelda? HAHA WOW!"
I just checked their thread. Neo is mean lol. ****, all that commotion in Md/Va just for losing to me. Not necessary lmao!

GreyFox86

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1951-0169-9972
Switch FC
SW-4494-3990-4799
I lol'd at the 1 place drop on Candy's part. Congrats to Speed for making top 10. DM, Ed, if you guys have any room for places to stay mind if I jump in that space? For Apex I mean. I has the green so....yeah. D:

rathy Aro

Smash Lord
Scary, that's pretty amazing. I'm now considering you the best Zelda and best Sheik/Zelda. So how exactly do you beat good MKs with Zelda?

#HBC | Scary

Hype Incarnate
NNID
ScaryLB59
Scary, that's pretty amazing. I'm now considering you the best Zelda and best Sheik/Zelda. So how exactly do you beat good MKs with Zelda?
Well, for one, good DI is a must because I feel like you should never ever get gimped. I'd say treat MK like a super IC's with the Fsmash spam, and you have to be ready with Dtilt or Pivot grabs if he charges again. This stuff and timely LK's help alot lol.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Did he ftilt a lot? I usually do really well against MKs until they learn that ftilt > Zelda's fsmash/dtilt.

GreyFox86

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1951-0169-9972
Switch FC
SW-4494-3990-4799
He did at times, so I kinda thought as if I was Sheik and ran away lol. Only way I challenge that demon move is with Ftilt.
Lol, I try to keep mid range and toss a Din's if I see a Ftilt. :X

Although my reflexes aren't that fast so getting it on instinct is quite hard for me. :X

Darkmusician

Smash Master
SBHMXXI, Honolulu, HI (05/30/10)
2nd out of 29 singles ($43.50)
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=10479354#post10479354

SBHMXXI, Honolulu, HI (05/30/10)
1st out of 7 teams ($21.00)
Partner: MrEh (Bowser/Pokemon Trainer)
*see link above* I won't actually be archinving the teams results because there were not enough teams to make it a legit tournament. It was still a very unusually educational experience though.

Went all Zelda in singles except for using Snake and ICs when KennyPu counterpicked me to Jungle Japes and then to FD with Diddy Kong respectively. I got ***** free in winners finals and I really wanted another shot at LT. The only thing standing between me and a SBHM title with Zelda is Lethal Trilogy's Meta Knight. He beat me in Winners Finals and then once again in Grand Finals.

@Greyfox
Ah I see. Well my statement works for both cases. Anytime I Dins at a grounded MK or Snake that's not at full stage I am at risk of a punish.

Top Bottom