• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Temple of Time~The Zelda Tournament and Video Archive~Vids Critiqued Here!

#HBC | Scary

Hype Incarnate
NNID
ScaryLB59
Not even gonna lie; I could've at LEAST made it to 25th but the lag was mega mean to both my Sheik and Zelda.

Seriously! My wins were kinda forgetable; had to play FL lol but I lost to both Fino (Olimar) and Dmbrandon (MK) 2-0 but I feel like I should've and/or could've won those sets. Gonna get my gay stages going lmao!

One thing for sure though; I certainly know how I stand against the top people and I'm actually pleased lol.

The rules were not bad at all but what sucked though was that we could not free play at will. So many people I wanted to play and I couldn't.

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Congrats, Scary! 49th is respectable, don't downplay your placing. :mad:

Did you go Zelda/Sheik the whole time, or did you go all Zelda vs. anybody?

#HBC | Scary

Hype Incarnate
NNID
ScaryLB59
Thanks KayLo! I know it's respectable but you know how it is... :chuckle:

For the most part it was all Zelda/Sheik with more Sheik against Fino. Zelda had her sets against evospadez (diddy) and joeysmash (snake) but the split was closer to even instead of Zelda heavy like the last two placements.

What'd you think of ESAM's proclamation???

GodAtHand

Smash Lord
GROAT, Uxbridge MA, April 24th 2010
4th out of 13 teams
Teamed with Peachkid (Peach)
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=272949

Lost to first and second place. Had a close first match with Atomsk and Ally (the second match not so much...) Over all I think I did pretty good, but I couldn't enter singles because I was dependent on making money in doubles...

GreyFox86

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1951-0169-9972
Switch FC
SW-4494-3990-4799
4th out of 13 teams

Lost to first and second place. Had a close first match with Atomsk and Ally (the second match not so much...) Over all I think I did pretty good, but I couldn't enter singles because I was dependent on making money in doubles...
Good **** Riot. That's perfectly fine. Zelda is really good only in Doubles so your heart is in the right place. :D

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
Hey guys, this is the first video of my Zelda I've posted. Comments and critiques greatly welcome! The peach in the video is a *****, forgive the 2-stock :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzBqOlksZB4
i have learned two things from this vid

dtilt has a very strange hitbox and that cherryblossom tree SV is awsome.

also:
i think you need to learn the matchup better, there were times when your spacing was alright and other time really poor.

don't approach w/ LK, its not good for that. and it cost you alot in the first stock for overuse.

less Dsmash, sometimes it seemed like a natural reaction similar to your auto spotdodge.

don't charge so much, especially w/ dashA.

you have my respect for challenging Peachs Fair w/ LK at 2:07.

4th out of 13 teams

still good Riot, still good

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g20QGp_IQFo

My lol Zelda vs. an (lol) ROB on lol wifi. My Zelda prefers the air too much.

I apologize for the scrubbiness, but this is my first Zelda video. Are there any basics I should work on from what you see here? I want to use Zelda more, so it's wise to know what I should work on xD

Veggie123

Smash Journeyman
^
good stuff overall. some comments,

be mindful about fair usage, it's not really safe on shield (sweet or sourspotted). if it sourspots then you'll be open for punishment since it has little hit stun.

remember your out of shield options! bair oos punishes extremely well against characters using laggy moves with low shield pushback (rob's dsmash comes to mind)

also you tend to spotdodge a bit habitually. i recommend to save spotdodges for when you know your opponent is going for a grab or something.

other than that, more grabs/nairs and you'll be well on your way!

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Thanks!

Each time I've f-aired someone, sweet or sour, I haven't been punished, so I just keep on doing it. If it really causes that little shield-stun like you say, I'll stop doing it then. Maybe go for some empty hops into Nayru's or Hyphen/F-smashes.

I play with tap jump off, so I can't use OOS options as proficiently as I could ^_^; I'll have to learn the timing and the right moment, but I can give it a shot, I suppose.

You're the second person that says I spotdodge a bit over-zealously; funny thing is, I hardly ever spotdodge with anyone else, lol. Would Naryu's be a better way to ward them off instead?

Again, thanks!

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
I really do recommend tap-jump on! I used to play with it off and I couldn't adjust when it was turned on, but with persistence you'll come to love bair OoSs and other things - that or set one of the shoulder buttons to jump!

empty hops into nayru's can be a little risky at times because of the cooldown - certainly okay to be used as a mixup but as a staple it can be caught on pretty quickly by your opponent - you can substitute nayru's with nair if you try to land behind their shield, especially against rob!

also fair/bair sweetspot on shields is a mixed bag - it has a lot of shield stun, but zelda also freezes matrix stylee in the air. I think she has a significant disadvantage, but if the opponent isn't punishing then definitely continue.

hai veggie :)

WickedDeceit

Smash Cadet
Hey Jiggly thanks for the comments! I feel like I know what my worst habits are, I sometimes just need someone else to say it in clearer words. I do have a habit of spot dodging a bit too much, and Dsmash (and DashA) on reaction is my worst vice, ever. I actually know the peach match-up better than that particular video shows, I just need to get some more recent videos off my friend's Wii, so I'll post em when I can.

(the Fair at 2:07 almost made my eyes water, haha).

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
In the zelda vs peach one... zelda just dtilt'd through peach's umbrella 0.O That's actually pretty significant when she's on the ledge - especially against the drop uair to umbrella strategy. I will try this!

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
Hey wicked I think ur DIing peach's fair wrongly - you seem to be going very horizontally when you can make zelda go at that sakurai angle to sustain longevity. I only watched the first one but I know you could have survived a number of her Fairs that killed you.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
I really feel like Zelda trips abnormally often..... is it just me?

After watching these vids and the ones I'm about to send to ENNH to get recorded, I feel like she's always falling on her ***. Way more than other characters. Is it the Din's thing? Is it just her being stupid?!

Anyways, nice vids. Two things in addition to what Kata said:
- You spotdodge too much/too predictably imo. I do the same thing, and trust me: good people WILL start to read and punish them.
- You fair/bair too much..... or maybe I should say too carelessly. The result is that you hit with a lot of sourspots and end up staling your kicks so that the sweetspots are less effective.

MrEh

Smash Hero
I'm pretty sure the only characters that have noticable tripping differences are IC and Luigi.

Zelda might have some funky variable that causes her to trip on her dress or something. lol

MrEh

Smash Hero
I love how a lot of people in this thread just post links to their results and don't follow the proper posting format.

JuJux isn't even a native English speaker and he reads the rules just fine. I don't know if that's sad or what.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
It's the same on every board in any kind of submission thread.

People don't read the OP of a thread...... that's a pretty standard and mostly accurate assumption to make for any topic.

Darkmusician

Smash Master
Updated first and second post. My OCD side kicked in and I made sure everything was in a nice uniformed format. blargh

I'm not usually one for naming threads like this but I figured what the heck OoT is a pretty cool game.

Please PLEASE try to post in the format on first page (See the text in lime color for examples)

As for videos I don't really care if you just post a youtube link or w/e, but please mention the date and wether it's friendly or tournament or wifi or a combination of the three.

So yeah GGs to everyone who used Zelda keep practicing and come to Hawaii this summer for the HSI 2010 please.

GreyFox86

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1951-0169-9972
Switch FC
SW-4494-3990-4799
Updated first and second post. My OCD side kicked in and I made sure everything was in a nice uniformed format. blargh

I'm not usually one for naming threads like this but I figured what the heck OoT is a pretty cool game.

Please PLEASE try to post in the format on first page (See the text in lime color for examples)

As for videos I don't really care if you just post a youtube link or w/e, but please mention the date and wether it's friendly or tournament or wifi or a combination of the three.

So yeah GGs to everyone who used Zelda keep practicing and come to Hawaii this summer for the HSI 2010 please.
Oh I'm sorry I was unaware that you changed the format on me....

Honestly it was not like that before and its only been a whole month since I posted my last results.

Whatever though...:ohwell:

Darkmusician

Smash Master
Actually the format has been like that for a while.

The only thing I changed was adding the lime text to give an actual example.

MrEh

Smash Hero
When I mentioned that people don't follow the guidelines, I wasn't talking about you Grey.

I was talking about the walls and walls of people posting single links.

GreyFox86

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1951-0169-9972
Switch FC
SW-4494-3990-4799
Actually the format has been like that for a while.

The only thing I changed was adding the lime text to give an actual example.
I didn't check the first post cause I memorized the format that you had before. The one I'm using now is the one I used for the past 4 months. I don't mind there being a new format.

When I mentioned that people don't follow the guidelines, I wasn't talking about you Grey.

I was talking about the walls and walls of people posting single links.
Despite this true info, it happened after my post. There wasn't a new post in regards to results since Riot posted up his and that was on the 25th of last month.

I'm not trying to call you out but I just found it odd how you would say that and it all happened after I posted my results. =/

MrEh

Smash Hero
Despite this true info, it happened after my post. There wasn't a new post in regards to results since Riot posted up his and that was on the 25th of last month.

I'm not trying to call you out but I just found it odd how you would say that and it all happened after I posted my results. =/
I posted around the exact same time that DM was organizing this thread.

It's not hard to believe that both me and him were looking over the contents on the thread at the same time, especially since we're like next door neighbors.

Top Bottom