• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Unity Ruleset: Discussion

Doc King

Smash Lord
My predictions for Apex
M2K sandbags hard and gets ***** on purpose, antiban gains the "M2K lost in Apex!!!" argument, MK is then unbanned.

:phone:
Good prediction :troll:
There would be no reason to sandbag seeing as how one tournament isn't going to change anyone's mind. I also think we are going to see all the MK solo mains go all out. Even then, I don't think that M2K or any MK is going to take first.
lol@Jebus taking this troll post seriously.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
My personal concern is that its information is inaccurate at best and possibly unusable.

However this time Im more interested in others opinions on the polls worth and why.
The poll can't be inaccurate, only the interpretation of its data can.

The poll received votes from a wide range of top players, certainly enough to gain a general understanding about what the public wants.

Ghostbone

Smash Master
5)other

Im interested for any and all answers, especially those who use and cite the statistic.
People knew the poll would have a significant effect on the URC's choice, and it's not like it was obscure, everybody all over smashboards and AiB would have known about it.

If someone doesn't vote that's their own fault, that or they're neutral, so we don't need to take them into account.

NNID
Budget_Player
No matter how epic or signficiant Apex is, it's still one tournament. 1 tournament = too small. That's what I've learned from the anti-bans.

"Just wait until this tournament and we'll see what's up!"
*Pound V walks in, MK takes 1-3rd place*

"But that's JUST Pound V, what about tournaments before that? You pro-bans need more proof!"

:glare:

Even if it's a huge international, it won't matter. It won't matter how significant it is, I'll still pull that card and discredit everything just because it was pulled on me like a thousand times. Plus, 1 tournament will not outshadow five other events.
All right, lemme change the hypothetical slightly: Nietono, Mr R, Brood, Glutonny (assuming he actually shows), and 9B win against every MK they face by a decent (read: outside of kill range on last stock or better) margin. Would that matter?

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
All right, lemme change the hypothetical slightly: Nietono, Mr R, Brood, Glutonny (assuming he actually shows), and 9B win against every MK they face by a fairly wide margin. Would that matter?
They shouldn't have to win by a fairly wide margin. Those are very close MUs after all

Doc King

Smash Lord
They shouldn't have to win by a fairly wide margin. Those are very close MUs after all
lol Strawmanning. Jebus you should stay on topic when arguing something and not change opinions all of the time (Basically strawmanning). If you do that it can make it possible for you to finally win an argument.

Flayl

Smash Hero
lol Strawmanning. Jebus you should stay on topic when arguing something and not change opinions all of the time (Basically strawmanning). If you do that it can make it possible for you to finally win an argument.
Way to jump on the bandwagon at the most inappropriate time LOL. That wasn't strawmanning.

Anyway Jebus the point is that having sets that aren't close shows that the top of the USA's metagame has work to do before it can declare MK doesn't have even matchups. If the sets are close you can't really argue that because it could likely just mean skill overcame the obstacles.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
You should avoid using ad hominem while incorrectly identifying strawmanning.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
You should stop using Straw. Scarecrow needs some too ya know

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
Way to jump on the bandwagon at the most inappropriate time LOL. That wasn't strawmanning.

Anyway Jebus the point is that having sets that aren't close shows that the top of the USA's metagame has work to do before it can declare MK doesn't have even matchups. If the sets are close you can't really argue that because it could likely just mean skill overcame the obstacles.
It's top players vs. top players. Why would a top player need to win another top player by a decent margin in an even MU?

All right, lemme change the hypothetical slightly: Nietono, Mr R, Brood, Glutonny (assuming he actually shows), and 9B win against every MK they face by a decent (read: outside of kill range on last stock or better) margin. Would that matter?
I could make up a million excuses that could counter all that, like for example, the lack of Brinstar and RC or the inclusion of an LGL had an impact on the match, without them, MK would do better. Alternatively, I could john for the characters and say that X MK main was playing bad (like M2K vs. Brood). And even if that backfires, I could just say it's a one time thing, unlike the consistent stream of data we've been gathering over the last year, or even better, cover my ears and go lalalalalalalalalala and then it won't matter.

Point is, there's a million way that I could discredit your arguments, and make you wait until "the next tournament". It worked for the anti-bans for quite some time, but the tables have turned, and if the moment arrives, I'm gonna troll with that so hard. :awesome:

But not really, cause I'll be serious.

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
If banning RC and Brinstar means that MK won't dominate, then it's totally worth it. Also, do you guys plan on removing the LGL next update?

I disagree. Both of them are awesome stages, and totally legit. If MK breaks them, ban the bat.

As for the LGL, I plan on making a bigger case for it in the future.

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
I disagree. Both of them are awesome stages, and totally legit. If MK breaks them, ban the bat.

As for the LGL, I plan on making a bigger case for it in the future.
Remove two stages and you remove every match up that every character has on those stages. Remove a character and you remove every match up that every character has against that character on every legal stage which removes way more depth. The smart thing to do would be to remove the stages first.

Remove two stages and you remove every match up that every character has on those stages. Remove a character and you remove every match up that every character has against that character on every legal stage which removes way more depth. The smart thing to do would be to remove the stages first.
Even though your depth argument technically makes sense, I don't care about what has more depth. I just care about what makes more sense, and IMO, looking at all the issues that MK has stacked upon him side by side with all the issues that RC/Brinstar have stacked on them, I think it makes more sense to ban MK instead of ban the two stages, and I'm willing to sacrifice the difference in depth for that option.

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
Looks like a quandary between imperative morality and utilitarian decision making is brewing lol

Orion*

Smash Researcher
bpc how the hell have you not heard of malcom? he is a top level wario in the md/va region of the US.
plz no your facts before you start trying to tell other people what they dont know.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Orion move to Europe (at best a top 20 US MK) and suddenly he was among the best players (as in top 10 overall)?
Kinda. Like atm I'm top 10 imo but it definitely wasn't that immediate. There where tournaments ive placed 7th at or whatever, the only thing ive been pretty consistent in is teams with luigiplayer.

The problem is that like, while I might be top 10. I've still NEVER been able to win a tournament in europe, not even a local (bar teams at internationals). Yet even this summer when I was back home I can win a local, and I've won other tournaments when I was living in NJ/NY.

Id also like to note that. After I lost to Mr.R last year in september, until the international here I placed 2nd at in november. I was playing like 4-6 hours a day most of the time since I had a very lenient class schedule (earliest class was like 12pm once a week? most of my classes where 3-6pm LOL), I've never played that much in my life.

I don't like to use myself as a skill placer because I honestly feel like I'm to inconsistent as a player overall. I've never ever been able to place at big tournaments for whatever the reason (and this is something I work on to get better at but we all have our faults). As far as US rankings go, I didnt start consistently attending tournaments until my last spring in the US. I was getting bottom PRed by attending literally 2-3 tournaments per season when other players where attending like 10.

When I started attending stuff my skill gap jumped and instead of placing like 13th to top 8 if I did well, I was placing like 3/4th just barely in the money and 5th on a worse day. I moved here, and did better than I did back home, but I kept jumping skill gaps. I do think that the average US player far outclasses the average EU player.

Randoms in america, along with things like pools are much harder and frustrating to do. Most of the players here in pools I just 3 stock and then move on. But I do think that some of the high level players would place well in America, at least based on their skill. I can't say they would do amazingly their first time, but ramin, leon and calzorz both have great adaption. atm though I dont think leon is fit for a competition like apex mentally, and has been limiting himself as a player. The game grows, and at the moment he's to stuck in his current way of doing things and has gotten quite emo.

There are other players here though like istudying and semifer that would also do well if they had the chance. Also, because of EUs international scene, I have yet to play all of the top players here, so I can't even really say how good I am except in comparison to the rest of holland/germany and leon.

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
Numbers to the rescue!

Alright, at the moment, we have 38 characters in the game(counting Zelda, Sheik, and Z-Sheik as separate entities), and 13 legal stages.

- With nothing removed, we have 38 * 38 * 13 = 18772 different possible matchups.
- Without MK, we have 37 characters and 13 stages, giving us a total of 37 * 37 * 13 = 17797, a loss of 975, or 5.19% of the total possible amount of matchups.
- Without Brinstar and RC, we have 38 characters and 11 stages, giving us a total of 38 * 38 * 11 = 15884, a loss of 2888, or 15.38% of the total possible amount of matchups.

We lose more matchups if we remove the stages.

Plus, keep in mind that, with MK legal, there were quite a few characters who were previously oppressed by his existence and could not shine as brightly as they could've in such a metagame. With MK banned, we may yet see an increase of variety in character choice in tournament play, simply due to the fact that more characters become viable without him being legal. It arguably increases depth on a different scale as well.

DeLux

I don't think you did that math correctly lol

I count 741 unique matchups over 38 characters
I count 703 unique matchups over 37 characters

I count 9633 unique matchups over 38 characters and 13 stages
I count 9139 unique matchups over 37 characters and 13 stages
I count 8151 unique matchups over 38 characters and 11 stages.

Although I think the numbers are slightly skewed. A more accurate number would possibly be measuring the number of MK uses against the number of RC+Brinstar uses. It's important to remember that the two stages are counter picks that can't be played for 1/3rd or 2/5ths of a match, while MK can always be picked regardless of the game count.

The number of matchups that would even counter pick the two stages is impossible to determine, but I would suspect if one were as objective as possible it would definitely change how one perceives the results.

NNID
Budget_Player
I could make up a million excuses that could counter all that, like for example, the lack of Brinstar and RC or the inclusion of an LGL had an impact on the match, without them, MK would do better.
Uh... That's kinda the point. If MK breaks RC and Brinstar, but without them is not broken, then you don't ban the character, you ban the extraneous elements that break the **** out of him to a reasonable extent. If this includes removing two stages that are a) already banned almost everywhere else in the world and b) questionable on their own merit anyways, I don't think that's unreasonable. The LGL we have been over, and seeing as the unity ruleset is apparently keeping it with or without MK banned, it seems to me like I'm right on that count. :glare: The LGL is a non-factor anyways, if only because every other tournament had one, therefore for the sampling it's a constant.

Alternatively, I could john for the characters and say that X MK main was playing bad (like M2K vs. Brood). And even if that backfires, I could just say it's a one time thing, unlike the consistent stream of data we've been gathering over the last year, or even better, cover my ears and go lalalalalalalalalala and then it won't matter.
At which point you are clearly being unreasonable. This was kind of the point here: to figure out if you're willing to honestly talk about the issue. Good to know. But anyways... X MK main was playing bad? Let's see here...
Dojo, Tyrant, M2K, Ally, Anti, Nairo, Seibrik vs. Nietono, Brood, Mr R, 9B, Calzorz, Glutonny... That's 7*6 potential matches; that is, a potential sample size of 42. All in Bo3 or Bo5 sets. That'd kinda make the "X MK main was playing bad" argument dwarf, wouldn't it? And furthermore, "One time thing"? That's the whole ****in' point–APEX is in a class of its own, especially in regards to international attendance.

Even though your depth argument technically makes sense, I don't care about what has more depth. I just care about what makes more sense, and IMO, looking at all the issues that MK has stacked upon him side by side with all the issues that RC/Brinstar have stacked on them, I think it makes more sense to ban MK instead of ban the two stages, and I'm willing to sacrifice the difference in depth for that option.
If the American MKs fail majestically at APEX, then we know that the issues that MK has stacked upon him are basically negligible, because apparently either the EU/JP metagame is a little more advanced than the USA EC AN metagame (let's be honest, this is basically what we're looking at when we claim MK is overcentralizing :glare:) is, or the problems involve two stages which are, again, a) questionable in their own right and b) banned pretty much everywhere else anyways.

Also, @ What orion said: Yeah. The randoms in the USA are way better than the randoms in the EU–in fact, if I honestly asked myself, there's only like one person I met at all of KTAR6 who was genuinely low-level (you know who you are and you are ****ing awesome)–pretty much everyone else I played either came damn near to taking a set off of me or did take a set off me. Meanwhile in germany, if you aren't an established threat, you're probably bad. At the same time, though, This doesn't mean you can discount the EU's top threats–players like Mr R and Calzorzs are really, really good at this game.

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
I don't think you did that math correctly lol
Regardless of which of us is right, it seems that we lose more matchups banning two stages than we do banning one character, right?

But... I still think your numbers are wrong. >___>;

What equations did you use?

Orion*

Smash Researcher
like. idc if you ban MK or not at this point but those stages need to be banned anyway :glare:

DeLux

Regardless of which of us is right, it seems that we lose more matchups banning two stages than we do banning one character, right?

But... I still think your numbers are wrong. >___>;

What equations did you use?
To determine unique matchups I did:

38 matchups for character 1 + 37 matchups for character 2 + 36 matchups for character 3 + 35 matchups for character 4 and so on.

Then you take the sum of that number and multiply it against the stages.

Your equations counts every unique matchup twice more or less, except for the dittos that get counted only once.

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
Your equations counts every unique matchup twice more or less, except for the dittos that get counted only once.
Ah, alright, I'll try to fix it, one sec.

Although I think the numbers are slightly skewed. A more accurate number would possibly be measuring the number of MK uses against the number of RC+Brinstar uses. It's important to remember that the two stages are counter picks that can't be played for 1/3rd or 2/5ths of a match, while MK can always be picked regardless of the game count.
Ah, well, lemme give it a try. We'll ignore stage bans and DSR for now, just because those'll make everything really complicated.

With nothing banned:
Round 1: (38C2 + 38) * 7 = 5187
Round 2: (38C2 + 38) * 13 = 9633
Round 3: (38C2 + 38) * 13 = 9633
5187 + 9633 + 9633 = 24453 different ways for a set to play out.

With MK banned:
Round 1: (37C2 + 37) * 7 = 4928
Round 2: (37C2 + 37) * 13 = 9152
Round 3: (37C2 + 37) * 13 = 9152
4928 + 9152 + 9152 = 23232 different ways for a set to play out.
Decrease of 1221; 4.99%

With Brinstar/RC banned:
Round 1: (38C2 + 38) * 7 = 5187
Round 2: (38C2 + 38) * 11 = 8151
Round 3: (38C2 + 38) * 11 = 8151
5187 + 8151 + 8151 = 21489 different ways for a set to play out.
Decrease of 2964; 12.12%

Seems like we still lose more ways for a set to play out when you remove the stages, rather than MK, I guess?

DeLux

Ah, alright, I'll try to fix it, one sec.

Ah, well, lemme give it a try. We'll ignore stage bans and DSR for now, just because those'll make everything really complicated.

With nothing banned:
Round 1: 38 * 38 * 7 = 10108
Round 2: 38 * 38 * 13 = 18772
Round 3: 38 * 38 * 13 = 18772
10108 + 18772 + 18772 = 47652 different ways for a set to play out.

With MK banned:
Round 1: 37 * 37 * 7 = 9583
Round 2: 37 * 37 * 13 = 17797
Round 3: 37 * 37 * 13 = 17797
9583 + 17797 + 17797 = 45177 different ways for a set to play out.
Decrease of 2475, or 5.19%.

With Brinstar/RC banned:
Round 1: 38 * 38 * 7 = 10108
Round 2: 38 * 38 * 11 = 15884
Round 3: 38 * 38 * 11 = 15884
10108 + 15884 + 15884 = 41876 different ways for a set to play out.
Decrease of 5776, or 12.12%

Seems like we still lose more ways for a set to play out when you remove the stages, rather than MK, I guess?
You still are counting unique matchups twice in your equations ><

But I think you missed the point of my post. The math numbers are theoretical and are indicative of perfect competition. This doesn't exist in the metagame.

There really isn't any way to determine which specific characters would actually use those stages in certain matchups with the threat of MK removed adding to the number of stage uses against removing the stages and the practical usage of characters with MK still in play

TLDR of convoluted sentence: Theoretical depth is not the same as functional depth

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
You still are counting unique matchups twice in your equations ><
Well, I edited it and got the numbers correct now, but let's move onward, since it doesn't exactly matter right now.

But I think you missed the point of my post. The math numbers are theoretical and are indicative of perfect competition. This doesn't exist in the metagame.

There really isn't any way to determine which specific characters would actually use those stages in certain matchups with the threat of MK removed adding to the number of stage uses against removing the stages and the practical usage of characters with MK still in play

TLDR of convoluted sentence: Theoretical depth is not the same as functional depth
True, but remember, this was in response to Jebus' allegation that we lose more options per match by banning MK than we do banning RC and Brinstar.

I understand there are more variables to take into account, but the above numberplay was just for the sake of showing that there are actually more base options if you just ban MK, rather than ban the two stages.

ElDominio

Smash Journeyman
The way I see it (without even looking at stages)
With MK Legal:
There are two different kinds of matchups in this metagame.
There's 37 possible matchups for Meta Knight, seeing as he can take on the entire cast. He has 37 different matchups if all games were played on this theoretical, nonexistent perfectly neutral stage.

Then every other character not Meta Knight has one matchup; VS. Meta Knight.
No other matchups even matter.

For all that argue that banning MK just makes the other top tiers fight each other (like the "ZOMG, NOW THE GAME REVOLVES AROUND IC's AND FALCO AND MARF AND DIDDY AND D3 AND ZOMG ZOMG OMG")
Isn't that the point?
We'd at least have about 25 different matchups...

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
If the American MKs fail majestically at APEX, then we know that the issues that MK has stacked upon him are basically negligible, because apparently either the EU/JP metagame is a little more advanced than the USA EC AN metagame (let's be honest, this is basically what we're looking at when we claim MK is overcentralizing ) is, or the problems involve two stages which are, again, a) questionable in their own right and b) banned pretty much everywhere else anyways.
Here is the thing: It isn't about what happens just one time. MK has lost in the past, but then those MK's always look at why they lost and by the next tournament have a counter. We don't get to see how the game would evolve with just one tournament, all we see is how three different ways of playing the game go against each other on their first go. The biggest advantage MK has is adaptability: he has an answer for every possible weakness or counter, the issue is about how long it takes for that adaption to take place.

You want to make a big deal about Apex as if it will somehow undo 3 years of data in the US Brawl scene. Apex is still just one tournament in the scheme of things, and once EU/Japan go home, we still have all the issues that were there before.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
The other side: what happens if MK does roughly the same at that tournament? Gathering top players from all around the world for 1 tournament and he still does good. If MK were "permanently" legal, PLENTY of people would say Apex is just one tournament in the big scheme of things.

Apex will be interesting to watch, but I would be saddened if either side used that tournament as the "foundation" of their argument for MK's legality.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Bluh why do we have LGLs?

Makes numerous already hard MUs worse, especially against characters like Falco or King Dedede. Mostly Falco.

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
I hate these math things....

And what if there was 37 characters and 11 stages?
Obviously, even fewer Player-Player-Stage combinations. Arguably less depth.

[COLLAPSE="Math"]# of MUs (looking only at characters) with MK legal. 38+37+36....+1 = (39*19) = 741 MUs
# of MUs (looking only at characters) with MK banned. 37+36......+1 = (38*18) + 19 = 703 MUs

MK & BRc legal : 741*13 = 9633 MUs
MK banned, BRc legal: 703*13 = 9139 MUs
MK legal, BRc banned: 741*11 = 8151 MUs
MK & BRc banned : 703*11 = 7733 MUs[/COLLAPSE]
Banning MK, Brinstar and Rainbow Cruise results in a 19.7% decrease in the # of MUs from when all 3 are legal.

But (as john#s said) you have to take into consideration the depth lost with MK legal. Toon Link is almost completely taken out of the equation with MK legal, and other characters like Lucario, G&W, Peach, DK, ROB and Kirby are held back quite a bit. Sure, with MK gone, they won't necessarily be taking 1st all the time, but I'm sure their placings overall will improve quite a bit.

Top Bottom