• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Unofficial Offical MLG Ruleset Discussion

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
On second thought, the stages wont really be a problem. Its an interesting stage lineup. On the other hand, they do have scrubby rules like the universal ledge grab limit and the marth GR. They banned marth's but didnt ban squirtle's, zss dsmash on fox, sheik ftilt on fox and all that, not saying they should though. All of these are perfectly fine and should not be banned, including D3's infinite on the 5 chars that are affected.

NNID
Budget_Player
To all of you johning about GG...

FD is IC's best stage.
Norfair is Wario's best stage.
RC is MK's best stage; norfair is one of his other really good ones.
FD is incredible for Falco and Diddy.

etc.

Actually, tbh, FD should not be a starter. Too **** unfair xD

Meccs

@Meccs_
"No use of Marth’s Grab Release Infinites against Lucas and Ness."
Do like. :D

and I also like the expanded starter stage list.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Hey guys, I heard this thread is pretty cool:

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=268086

DO note, I'm not taking credit for MLG's implementation, and I know other regions have used variants of it prior to me posting my topic, but it still makes me feel good.

Only thing I disagree with is having Delfino instead of Frigate Orpheon, but I do very much love the progressive stage list.

And one thing that some people need to understand (I know some of you get it), is that stages we consider "neutral" are not those that give even matchups, and adding wackier stages to the starter list evens things out in a LOT of matchups. If you take a look at my topic (and my later posts in it), I address this in detail.

Happy to see this though, should be very interesting.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
To all of you johning about GG...

FD is IC's best stage.
Norfair is Wario's best stage.
RC is MK's best stage; norfair is one of his other really good ones.
FD is incredible for Falco and Diddy.

etc.

Actually, tbh, FD should not be a starter. Too **** unfair xD
norfair? WHat about RC Brinstar or Japes?? Norfair seriously? Lol..

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Best stage statistically and best stage preferably are two different things... personally best to stick with the latter choice.

More starters = good

And speaking as a former Ike main, If you went DDD on me, I'd strike FD, SV, CS, and Delfino.. any of the other stages I'll gladly play DDD on. (compared to the others) Your point on the stages favoring DDD aren't really good when I can strike them.

I don't like green green's though, but everyone has that stage they don't like.. just gotta deal with it

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
A few things:

1. Change "No use of Marth’s Grab Release Infinites against Lucas and Ness" to "No grab release infinites may be used against Ness and Lucas" because Marth is not the biggest offender. Also, you forgot to include other characters who suffer grab-release infinite problems like Squirtle.

2. Stage list is BRILLIANT.

3. Thanks for the infinite rules. They're a little scrubby but I want to see a little diversity at MLG. It'll be cool to see some DKs showing up and ******.

aextreme73

Smash Apprentice
changing up the game forreal
It's exciting to play some new stages, but coming from a whole community that worked off a pretty concrete system (minus few chnages), it may take a while to adjust to this.
We'll just see how these first tournaments go and see how many johns there are over new and possibly dumb stages. IMO, some of the counter picks are kind of ridiculous. PS2, definite no-no. Pictochat, grrrr. Green Greens...there's some wall and bombs and apples and wind...*sigh*
Good thing team attack is still on.

Smash Master
The fact that they think Marth has an infinite cg on Lucas and Ness really shows the level of aptitude we're dealing with here.

I'm actually surprised they turned items off after I read that.

And what about all the random infinites that Wario gets owned by?
And Pikachu's long chaingrabs against the spacies?

Banning D3's infinite is really dumb if you're not going to cater to the rest of the cast in this regard. (Against Bowser it isn't an inifinte, and against Mario, Luigi, and Samus, it requires a pummel, so it doesn't technicaly start until like 90)

Smash Master
Really? I know Reflex' Wario broke out of M2K's D3's grab at 127, but M2K wasn't being frame perfect (for once :) )

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
an infinite is an infinite, regardless of what moves you need to do to repeat it, right?

ahhh, but an infinite cg might not be an infinite cg if you need to pummel... that would be an epic loophole if someone had the balls to try and say something about it.

and as for people saying that planking can only be used to time your opponent out, I'm pretty sure that some great mind will be able to combine planking with a great offensive strategy as well... remember, some of MK's most broken maneuvers were thought up by thinking outside the box.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
The marth "infinite" not being an infinite is already a loophole, and prior to death percents, DDD has the exact same CG on most of the characters, and on bowser it's never an infinite, just almost a deathgrab.

Really? I know Reflex' Wario broke out of M2K's D3's grab at 127, but M2K wasn't being frame perfect (for once :) )
It seems that he actually went out and tested it specifically.

I'll ask him on it.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Are the BBR going to adopt these rules and make them the standard along with the stages?

d3 also has a standing infinite on RC.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
I cannot say for sure, but speaking personally, there's no way in hell I'd vote yes on that, and if you wanna see what everyone else has to say, check their out of backroom reactions, it's pretty telling.

Besides the stages i mean.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
I cannot say for sure, but speaking personally, there's no way in hell I'd vote yes on that, and if you wanna see what everyone else has to say, check their out of backroom reactions, it's pretty telling.

Besides the stages i mean.
Well so far I've seen your response and praxis response I thought you liked the rule set because you seem to be arguing in favor of it.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
FINALLY!

midwest has a chance to place thanks to the stages!

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Well so far I've seen your response and praxis response I thought you liked the rule set because you seem to be arguing in favor of it.
We like the stagelist, I personally think there are a lot of issues with the rest of the ruleset.

The stagelist was a lot less controversial then the "other issues".

Katakiri

LV 20
NNID
Katakiri
3DS FC
2492-5180-2983
I love everything about this.

And lol @ Diddys being mad bout Norfair & Green Greens. Not every stage can be flat, baby.

Judo777

Smash Master
Ok pummel release infinites are dumb mostly cause they only work on 2 characters that get ***** even without those infinites plus thats boring as hell to watch which btw MLG is an entertainment industry. I mean i seriously doubt ill see marths losing matches to lucases and being like " if only i could pummel infinited him i would have won!" And yes all of D3's infinites are stupid because there is only one person in which the matchup changes severly when the infinite is banned and thats luigi all other infinites are on characters that are cgable. I mean seriously losing a stock because D3 grabbbed u and people are talking about the IC's being hard to play. Its already 40+ damage per grab so just be happy. Concerning wario and Mk release stuff leave it they **** in spite of all that stuff. If u do that u mgiht as well remove grabbing snake out of cypher cause that a really gay gr too.

Flayl

Smash Hero
Guys you keep getting this wrong over and over again. Dedede can truly infinite Bowser: Small-step chaingrab him to a ledge and then standing infinite him.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
I've got a little list, I've got a little list.

For example... port picking, the conspicuous absence of "team attack on", no bans on the infinites that are incredibly difficult to tell stalling from simple usage (Wario's) while the ones that stalling can easily be prevented with are banned (and for the record, a number of those simply aren't infinites, since this is MLG, that qualification means they can't DQ for them), Wiimotes banned, and a number of other things.
Crossed out means now longer applicable.

Crow!

Smash Lord
Banning chain grabbing would solve everything but that will never happen.
Nonono.

Not banning chain grabs would solve everything. The problem here is that there are a plethora of infinites in the game, and MLG selected a small subset of them seemingly at random and decided to make them illegal while all others are deemed fine.

Banning zero to death options is completely unnecessary. Banning every such method would be impossible. So, to be consistent, MLG should be banning none of them.

From a theory point of view, that is my biggest problem with the MLG ruleset. As for practicality, the ledge grab limit rule has the potential to seriously mess up the tournament.

The biggest problem is that it provides an alternative victory condition: if you can figure out a way to force your opponent to grab the ledge 35 times, you can then win the game by "stalling" yourself. Except in this case, you don't even need to avoid taking hits or even having ever been in the lead. Just so long as you're still hanging onto your last stock when the timer runs out, you win.

Now, think about this for a bit. What character is really good at zoning his opponent offstage and at the ledge, and might be able to make his opponent need to regrab the ledge a lot? What character is good at stalling out the game?

That's right, this ruleset gives MK a brand new way to win by stalling that has never been in a BBR recommended ruleset.

35 is a dangerously low LGL; expect it to be abused.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
I love everything about this.

And lol @ Diddys being mad bout Norfair & Green Greens. Not every stage can be flat, baby.
Hello, I use characters who benefit from those stages, and I think they're stupid.

EDIT: Also, lawl at anybody thinking that Diddy dislikes platforms.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'd be completely fine with the stagelist. Except it'd be better if rainbow cruise and green greens were banned.

also Marth's CG on lucas/ness is the only one banned?
that's rather ridiculous...

solecalibur

Smash Master
So what are there reaction to D3 chain grabbing but taking a small step forward so it ends at the end of the stage because that isnt infinite ? and I dont see zss or yoshi's inf on wario

also I still think this is an ok ruleset this place isnt going to be perfect the first time they host it and Im sure they will change rules accordingly

OverLade

Smash Hero
The stage list only bothers me because it decreases the viability of Falco and Diddy, two characters who have more recently reached their levels of success (partially due to less gay rulesets).

If you re-arrange the tier list based on MLG rules, it looks almost exactly like the FIRST tier list.

GaW/Dedede/Kirby get huge boosts from the new stage list...or should I say old stage list?

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
lol
i was just thinking that the MLG ruleset has a March 08 Brawl mindset.

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
IMO for stages just replace Green Greens with Japes and it's a really good stage selection.

They should really work out what they are going to do for infinites though. They should perhaps just ban all (except IC's) infinites if they are going for that. (remember, they are going for bringing competition in, not just "non-scrub" mentality)

ADHD

Smash Hero
We mise well just get rid of all the characters on the roster but DDD and metaknight.. oh, and maybe a falco for pictochat.

wowoduend

Smash Journeyman
The only problem i have is the team attack being off. That's stupid as ****. I hope they know the mistake they done god ****. Team attack limits spamming for the love of god.

Battlefield, Final Destination, Battlefield, and Yoshi Island are good.
Castle Siege, Delfino Plaza, Lylat Cruise, Pokemon Stadium, and Halberd are alright.
Frigate Orpheon, RC, and Brinstar aren't too bad......
The rest, LOL

Edit: nvm team attack is ON

Top Bottom