• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The worst represented character?

handsockpuppet

Smash Lord
There's an explanation for Ganon.

"-Ganondorf (Sakurai mentions that he was lucky to get in – if he hadn’t had such a similar body type to Captain Falcon, he wouldn’t have made it into Melee)"

Sakurai wasn't going to put him in Melee. like the other clones, they wanted him in, but couldn't fit him. but since his body was built similarly (large, tall, strong, built in legs and arms) the gave him C. Falcons moveset, substituting fire for black magic in an attempt to make up for it.

SmashBrother2008

Smash Lord
I would say the space animals. Seriously, the only games where space animals go on foot (as far as i am aware...and im not that aware) is Star Fox Adventures, and Assault and Fox used a staff! The only "matching" move would be the blaster.
Wrong. Starfox 64 multiplayer they were on-foot. Unless you've never played it or never beaten it you wouldn't know.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I don't remember Link being able to jump at ALL in LoZ series. He could only do it by walking over ledges, he could never do it on his own free will.
Link can jump using the Roc's Feather in Link's Awakening. Also, he was able to jump, if I recall, in Zelda 2.

Atria

Smash Journeyman
Link can jump using the Roc's Feather in Link's Awakening. Also, he was able to jump, if I recall, in Zelda 2.
He needs an item to do that now doesn't he? I said he couldn't do it on his own free will.

For the other game, well TBH, I haven't played Zelda 2 yet so IDK if he can or not. MAYBE he can do it on his own free will, but that's probably the only Zelda game where he'll be able to do so. Also, I don't see any of the more recent ones allowing him to do so. Therefore, I think my point is still valid. He probably forgot how to jump as the years went by. :laugh:

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
He needs an item to do that now doesn't he? I said he couldn't do it on his own free will.

For the other game, well TBH, I haven't played Zelda 2 yet so IDK if he can or not. MAYBE he can do it on his own free will, but that's probably the only Zelda game where he'll be able to do so. Also, I don't see any of the more recent ones allowing him to do so. Therefore, I think my point is still valid. He probably forgot how to jump as the years went by. :laugh:
It's time to nitpick.

He can jump in Zelda 2 battle moments, which happen pretty much every single moment you aren't on the world map.

Now, chronologically, Zelda 2 is at the very end of the series even though it came out second. I don't remember all the timeline theories floating around and whatnot, but the fact that it has simple OoT characters idolized as town names is a pretty clear sign that it's far in the future from Ocarina of Time. We also know that Majora's Mask is an alternate timeline, Wind Waker is in the "midfuture", Twilight Princess is earlier than Wind Waker.

I don't remember exactly when the handheld ones took place, but take my word that LoZ2 is last.

So my point is...he learns to jump at the "end".

Lemonwater

Smash Ace
pokemon trainer needs a arceus.
Arceus, Mewtwo, Deoxys-A lol

It would be cool if you could choose three Pokemon, save on your Wii, and the Pokemon Trainer would have those three (and you can change them). It would be impractical and a huge waste of space, but I do wonder...

But seriously, I agree that Ganon is the worst represented. New moveset....

DemonFart

Smash Lord
lemonwater that would be overpowered.
U would be able to pick such overwhelming pokemon that everyone would play him.
he would be the nes ike of wifi.
its a cool idea but it would come with so many problems.
I'd rather just keep it like it Is now LOL.

Atria

Smash Journeyman
It's time to nitpick.

He can jump in Zelda 2 battle moments, which happen pretty much every single moment you aren't on the world map.

Now, chronologically, Zelda 2 is at the very end of the series even though it came out second. I don't remember all the timeline theories floating around and whatnot, but the fact that it has simple OoT characters idolized as town names is a pretty clear sign that it's far in the future from Ocarina of Time. We also know that Majora's Mask is an alternate timeline, Wind Waker is in the "midfuture", Twilight Princess is earlier than Wind Waker.

I don't remember exactly when the handheld ones took place, but take my word that LoZ2 is last.

So my point is...he learns to jump at the "end".
Hmm...Most of this I agree with. Yeah, I don't really understand the whole 'Zelda chronology' thing myself as I think that it is pretty messed up, but I think that the Zelda games have a main story line and an alternating one. This is how I THIK the main story line goes:

OoT
Z:TP
ZWW
Z:ALTTP
TLZ
Zelda 2

The rest of the Zelda games I think cause Link to trail off away from Hyrule and have him set off on his own adventure looking for something or something along those lines. I'm quite unsure about when he trails off from the main series, but I think it goes like this:

OoT
-Z:MM. I think this was were he set off to find Navi which he considered his friend.
-3 Gameboy games. I very unsure about where these ones go individually, but SOMETHING caused Link to disappear before WW because it states that in the opening story in WW.
ZWW
-Z:pHG. Yeah, I'm pretty sure that at the end of WW, they set off on an adventure around the Great Sea. This is where I think those events lead up into this game where Tetra gets captured by a Ghost Ship I think during their voyage. (Haven't played this one yet either.)
TLZ
Zelda 2

I think the rest is self-explanatory. However, I've never played Zelda 2 so I didn't know that Link jumps in the game. HOWEVER! In Brawl, they use TP Link. Therefore, he HAS'NT LEARNED HOW TO JUMP YET! So, I think my point is still valid! So...:p

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
Hmm...Most of this I agree with. Yeah, I don't really understand the whole 'Zelda chronology' thing myself as I think that it is pretty messed up, but I think that the Zelda games have a main story line and an alternating one. This is how I THIK the main story line goes:

OoT
ZWW
TLZ
Zelda 2

The rest of the Zelda games I think cause Link to trail off away from Hyrule and have him set off on his own adventure looking for something or something along those lines. I'm quite unsure about when he trails off from the main series, but I think it goes like this:

OoT
-Z:MM. I think this was were he set off to find Navi which he considered his friend.
-3 Gameboy games. I very unsure about where these ones go individually, but SOMETHING caused Link to disappear before WW because it states that in the opening story in WW.
ZWW
-Z:pHG. Yeah, I'm pretty sure that at the end of WW, they set off on an adventure around the Great Sea. This is where I think those events lead up into this game where Tetra gets captured by a Ghost Ship I think during their voyage. (Haven't played this one yet either.)
TLZ
Zelda 2

I think the rest is self-explanatory. However, I've never played Zelda 2 so I didn't know that Link jumps in the game. HOWEVER! In Brawl, they use TP Link. Therefore, he HAS'NT LEARNED HOW TO JUMP YET! So, I think my point is still valid! So...:p
I could use this post to make a detailed analysis of the Zelda timeline which is all coming back to me, but I'm sure nobody wants to hear it as this IS a Brawl forum. Let's just say that you are mostly correct.

Now, Brawl uses TP Link. With that said, we realize that TP Link had a bunch of nonsense that had to worry about. For example, he had to manage every item he got (he had several by the time he got his green tunic, which we shall assume is lighter than his normal garb) and he had to manage bottles, maps and whatnot.

Since Brawl Link only has the Clawshot, Bow, Boomerang and Bombs it could easily be assumed that all the extra stuff in TP caused him to not be able to jump :p

It's a wacky theory :)

YagamiLight

Smash Champion

OoT
ZWW
TLZ
Zelda 2

OoT
ZWW
TLZ
Zelda 2

I could use this post to make a detailed analysis of the Zelda timeline which is all coming back to me, but I'm sure nobody wants to hear it as this IS a Brawl forum. Let's just say that you are mostly correct.

Now, Brawl uses TP Link. With that said, we realize that TP Link had a bunch of nonsense that had to worry about. For example, he had to manage every item he got (he had several by the time he got his green tunic, which we shall assume is lighter than his normal garb) and he had to manage bottles, maps and whatnot.

Since Brawl Link only has the Clawshot, Bow, Boomerang and Bombs it could easily be assumed that all the extra stuff in TP caused him to not be able to jump :p

Atria

Smash Journeyman

I agree with that. I just conclude this by saying this: "I'll NEVER understand the weird world that is Zelda." Despite how awesome this game is, almost everything about it is just too out of order in the game and it doesn't physically make sense. I think this game will remain to be one of Nintendo's greatest games, but also the most historically and scientifically confusing games of all time. I guess that's why most people love it. It keeps me pondered in a deep thought...

eRonin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
eRonin
3DS FC
3969-5180-1975
I would think Samus is pretty poor, for the reasons already mentioned by about eeeeverybody.
Same goes for Mewtwo...
Captain Falcon, by all means, should be top tier but in fact he is the opposite... =(

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Not that he's per se the MOST horribly inaccurate, but Lucario is actually kind of badly representated. Aura Sphere in his game NEVER misses (except for fly or protect), Extremespeed has not damage in Brawl and is slower than Quick Attack (in the Poke games, it has 2x the damage), Double team only raised evasiveness in Pokemon, and Aura doesn't augment lucario's power as he takes damage! (although the closest thing to this would probably be either reversal the attack or the guts ability.)

Adapt

Smash Lord

Especially the ball and chain...

On Topic:

How many characters are actually represented properly? (with the majority of their moves actually taken from one of their games) **** few...

Kais3000

Smash Cadet
Some of you guys are DOING IT WRONG. You can't just think about the games they come from, but rather that character as a whole. Many of Nintendo's creations appear in anime and some manga. Thinking of some of the characters like this makes them seem a better representation in the smash series.

This was mainly in reply to the Lucario post.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Especially the ball and chain...

On Topic:

How many characters are actually represented properly? (with the majority of their moves actually taken from one of their games) **** few...
Olimar and Mario are probably the best represented.

Kais3000

Smash Cadet
MK is represented perfectly. He is awesome in the Kirby games/anime and he is above awesome in Brawl.

Ange

Smash Lord
I think Pikachu is represented quite well.

His Final Smash is the only Pokemon FS that is actually a real move in the games.

Pkmn Trainers FS is actually a combination of 3 moves, but still, it isnt a REAL move in itself.

Roihu

Smash Ace
I think Pikachu is represented quite well.

His Final Smash is the only Pokemon FS that is actually a real move in the games.

Pkmn Trainers FS is actually a combination of 3 moves, but still, it isnt a REAL move in itself.
I've never seen Volt Tackle like that in either Anime nor Games.

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
Mr. Game and Watch is the best represented, definately.

As for worst, what about Falco? I don't recall him doing strange wing-chops and hacky-sack in any of his games.

Ange

Smash Lord
I've never seen Volt Tackle like that in either Anime nor Games.
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Volt_Tackle

I have no video of it, but the pictures + the description on how Pikachu/Raichu executes it is quite similar to its use in Brawl.

However, in Brawl Pikachu flies using it, in the anime he runs. But I still think it could be pretty similar as he is in a ball of electricity in both cases.

Veggi

Smash Champion
Why hasn't anyone mentioned Donkey Kong yet? He only does like four moves from his games, cargo, ftilt, down b and fair and those are his coolest moves. His moveset could be so awesome if they actually used things from his games.

Diddy Kong is represented well as far as where they got his moves, but the way his pop gun and Jet Barrels function are stupid. It's a charge projectile and he only has one of them, wtf! His jet packs also don't charge and you have full control over them. in DK64, how boring does he want to make things?

Game and Watch, Sonic and Pikachu have nice movesets. Mario's is OK, but what isn't OK about Mario?

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Why hasn't anyone mentioned Donkey Kong yet? He only does like four moves from his games, cargo, ftilt, down b and fair and those are his coolest moves. His moveset could be so awesome if they actually used things from his games.
I believe they actually got some moves from the DKC Cartoon. Not joking.

3:38 - 3:42

That's probably where Sakurai got the Giant Punch. He watches cartoons (Falcon Punch), so this would not be out of the question.

To a lesser extent, Spinning Kong is probably a nod to Dixie's spinning attacks, while Headbutt might be a reference to the 'Use Your Head' running gag in the cartoon.

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
DK got the Giant punch from DKC2: Diddy's Kong Quest. He gave K. Rool that eye you see in DK64.

Meta-Knight is overrepresented in Brawl. He's supposed to be an old man according to the anime aging over 200 years, but he fights like he's only 100.

Question: Any reason Toon Link can't crawl?

DKKountry

Smash Ace
Corneria... Fourth Planet of the Lylat System
That's probably where Sakurai got the Giant Punch. He watches cartoons (Falcon Punch), so this would not be out of the question
People, the F-Zero cartoon came out AFTER Smash Bros. I can't believe how many people have referenced this.

Question: Any reason Toon Link can't crawl?
I still can't believe Wolf can't crawl. I mean when you look at his crouching animation... it would just look so bad-a$$ to be crawling towards your opponent all Wolf-like and whatnot. IMHO.

The Milk Monster

Smash Champion
I think the worst representation is Sonic.
His series is enormous, ever since Sonic Adventure 2 the games have been going downhill sharply, so you think Brawl would've brought him back to life in some way, and though Sonic Unleashed was pretty good, Sonic is still dying.

c3gill

Smash Ace
Lucas, Ice Climbers, Wario.

Lucas sticks out to me(well i main him, so his are the most noticable to me)- in Mother 3 he had gigantic offensive capibilities, unlike his much weaker SSBB persona. Most the moves Lucas uses are taken from another Mother character, Kumatora comes to mind.

as to some people saying Link- i dont see that. He has a hookshot, bow, gale boomerang, and bombs- and he heavily relies on his sword when not using items. Now if only I could use Mortal Draw in this game...... Why the hell isnt Mortal Draw his final smash?

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
sonic is a bad character who has recently had really bad games.

but his moveset is still pretty accurate.

however it should be noted that that fact is only because of the old "Sonic the Fighters" game.

about half of his moveset is taken pretty much directly from that game.

about fox and falco.
I once heard a pretty good theory. Star Fox is pretty much the intergalaxy police right? So it would make a lot of sence for people that are admitted into this police force to have to obtain martial arts training. which would explain their fighting styles.

also i think the simultaneous best and worst represented character is snake.
yes he has mortars, and grenades and C4 and such, and his jab combo is very authentic. but at the same time, he doesnt have any guns. and im STILL trying to figure out what ****** thought it would be a good idea to make snake like 300 pounds and be heavier than donkey kong.

yes i know there are no bullet shooting guns in smash. but that doesnt change my point.

and before people come in with that crap about rocket launchers and mortars weighing him down, that stuff comes from hammerspace, and object DO NOT have weight in hammerspace.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
i remember a thread in the cF boards that said that CF runs 27 mph and sonic runs like 45 mph in this game.

normally sonic can break the sound barrier which is 500+mph.

yes, hes way too slow in this game. but if he was really that fast hed be god mode and would be too broke for tourneys.
all i really wanted was for him to be able to out run foxs lasers

adn normally he doesnt spawn his own springs but he does use them all teh time.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Worst:
Samus - This one is just natural to anyone that has played the Metroid games. It's not so much the empty spots that they filled in. I feel like most of her moves fit the character in an abstract sense. However, the details are so wrong, almost across the board. How is it that Jigglypuff, who was never attested to be able to jump multiple times, had six jumps in 64, while Samus, who had been able to jump indefinitely ever since Metroid II, only had two? And in Brawl, where Luigi has a crawl, the most obvious candidate, Samus' morph ball never gets to see the representation it deserves. These are just a few of Samus' problems, IMO.

Ganon - How I use sword?

Earthbound kids - Really, neither of them are big users of the moves they have in Smash, as I recall. I never played the games, but I've heard enough to be sure that they didn't get much respect.

Best:
Olimar - While some of the details might not be perfect, the necessity of the Pikmin and the way Olimar handles them are all really accurately represented in the game. I really like how they captured him in Brawl

Peach - Peach just feels a lot like her Super Mario 2 self. While the canon of that game is highly questionable, Peach just feels right.

Dedede - Go figure. Go play some Kirby games, and you'll see how perfectly Dedede is represented in Brawl. It's actually kind of annoying. Dedede could not have been represented any better in this game, and the fact that he got so much respect and attention is just insulting to people who were looking for some originality in some of the least well represented characters.

Top Bottom