• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Time Travelers - Town wins! Time travel mechanics rarely used!

Reyth

Smash Rookie
I failed to find that illustration from OS but he first mentions the game on page 161 of the signup thread and I know the illustration is in there somewhere and all time travel examples are shown to be forward according to my memory.

Reyth

Smash Rookie
@July: So if he was calm in the MS game then why wasn't he able to have the same restraint in this game (which is my point)??

Nicholas1024

Smash Lord
Reyth, you're completely missing July's point, that Ran wasn't calm, and reacted rather violently to it (see his quick claim right after the fake vigging).

Reyth

Smash Rookie
@July: Do you have any other games with Ran where you declare a 100% ability to read him?

@Nich: I read his response in MS and it was like all calm, no caps -- he used vulgarity but it was in all calmness which is the opposite of what July said.

Reyth

Smash Rookie
I would also like to point out that a fake vig and a fake cop peek are two totally different things.

Nicholas1024

Smash Lord
@Nich: I read his response in MS and it was like all calm, no caps -- he used vulgarity but it was in all calmness which is the opposite of what July said.
Just because he didn't use caps doesn't mean he wasn't upset (I've gotten rather agitated at mafia before, and it's quite possible to display anger without ALL CAPS). It was definitely a gut reaction, because if he had thought about it, why would he have claimed so quickly, considering how likely it was to be a gambit.

T-block

B2B TST
The time travel idea is silly, and even a little rolefish-y. How do you expect to send Ran back to N0 and have town be satisfied with that course of action without whatever PR involved being exposed? I don't understand your point at all. Wouldn't we direct Ran by just telling him not to use his power? -_-

I DISAGREE with the quick claim similarity. The key difference is that in the MS game, Ran thought he was dead. It's a frustration "you vig'd me and i was town :angryface:" claim, and reads as such. In this case, Ran was not dead, and was still fighting to survive. His claim reads as a pre-emptive safe claim to me.

July

Smash Apprentice
Can you explain how he could even be sent back in time and help town? I see it even less than sending him into the future...
I'm saying if he is sent back to N0 and forced to use his ability on N0, his action should be null and void and not effect the game.

I failed to find that illustration from OS but he first mentions the game on page 161 of the signup thread and I know the illustration is in there somewhere and all time travel examples are shown to be forward according to my memory.
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=12977532&postcount=6330

DEFF past time travel

@July: So if he was calm in the MS game then why wasn't he able to have the same restraint in this game (which is my point)??
Well first of all he wasn't very invested in that game yet because it had JUST started. Second of all he thought it was the truth, so he had to restrain some of his anger to get out information for town before his supposed flip; here as town he would KNOW that Zen is lying, so why show restraint? Furthermore its not like he had to provide his reads and such quickly before the flip, so he could fight Zen and try to show his guilty was a lie. He actually had something to prove here, where there he didn't, but either way they are both kneejerk reactions.

Listen, the fact of the matter is if you think his claim is a fakeclaim or that he really is scummy, that's a reason to vote him. But people shouldn't vote him or push his lynch because they just don't want him to use his role.

July

Smash Apprentice
Reyth, you're completely missing July's point, that Ran wasn't calm, and reacted rather violently to it (see his quick claim right after the fake vigging).
Thank you, and what people need to remember is that I KNOW Ran. Ran is a calm person pretty much all the time, and I can tell when he is aggravated and while it wasn't a carbon copy he was not calm in either situation, he just composed himself better in ms.

@July: Do you have any other games with Ran where you declare a 100% ability to read him?

I think I did in Bad Idea 4 and I claimed confidence in my reads on him in Rusty Guillotine. I took a break from mafia on swf for a while this summer but I still watched his play, and during that time I've became much more confident in my ability to read Ran.

http://i.imgur.com/h5ikV.png here you go. I linked it in my QT with X1 a while ago for the heck of it.

July, the fact that you would need to travel back in time to remedy a poor choice from Ran's ability just proves my point that it's anti town.
Well I think it's anti-town to kill Ran because of his ability when he's not scummy, so I stand by it.

Reyth

Smash Rookie
Ran still needs to answer Grey's question and its weird he's not here and posting.

July

Smash Apprentice
Waat? Its all forward??
I was under the impression that we were looking at all 4 Nights in the first timeline and things like "Player 4 time travels to Night 3 to kill Player 5" were retroactive, so they went back in time from Night 4 to Night 3, or else saying that someone time traveled to Night 3 on Night 3 doesn't make much sense.

Reyth

Smash Rookie
The game is played in 4 phases which represent the actual nights (that's how I read it).

Reyth

Smash Rookie
If I am reading it right, Phase 1 would be actions submitted on N1 ... Phase 4 would be actions that are submitted N4. Every one of the examples moves forward in time.

July

Smash Apprentice
The time travel idea is silly, and even a little rolefish-y. How do you expect to send Ran back to N0 and have town be satisfied with that course of action without whatever PR involved being exposed? I don't understand your point at all. Wouldn't we direct Ran by just telling him not to use his power? -_-

I DISAGREE with the quick claim similarity. The key difference is that in the MS game, Ran thought he was dead. It's a frustration "you vig'd me and i was town :angryface:" claim, and reads as such. In this case, Ran was not dead, and was still fighting to survive. His claim reads as a pre-emptive safe claim to me.
I never asked if there was a role that could do it, I stated that time travel was an option because I'm sure that it is. I suggest we leave this part of the argument here. Because I'm pretty sure that when more lynches are available then whatever Ran originally limited it to he would let us know about it. And we wouldn't direct Ran's role by telling him not to use his powers because he probably won't listen tbh because he doesn't see what he would be doing as anti-town. So my option would prevent ya'll from lynching one of my strongest town reads while preventing his role from limiting the lynch pool.

And I disagree, he wasn't fighting to survive, he made that very clear when he voted himself. He was fighting catch scum and get someone he thought was scum lynched in Zen.

Dramatic Flair

Raziek|Ryker
July, self-voting is a terrible reason to have him as town because he could just as easily be AtEing scum. It's WIFOM and terrible. You're focusing on the stupidest routes to clear Ran.

There is a goal, NOT to lynch Ranmaru just because of his role because there may be a way to direct it.
That's a terrible reason to lynch Ran and I don't think anyone has suggested it. You're twisting words where people have said I want to lynch him because X and even if he flips town, I wouldn't mind too much because then he can't use it.

Role speculation needs to stop NOW.

T-block

B2B TST
Okay...

It's not obvious to me that time travel is an option at all. But fine, we can drop it.

Let me put it another way. In the MS game, he thought there was nothing that could be changed. In this game, there was nothing set in stone... no inevitabilities. That's why his claims read differently. And the fact that he voted himself is null to me.

@Ranmaru: If we (collective town) were to tell you that if you used your power toNight we would lynch you D3 no matter what, even if D2 led to a lynch, would you use it?

Nicholas1024

Smash Lord
Don't like Degrey's post right there, as he manages to twist July's words twice in the same post. July's not trying to clear Ran because of a self vote, and people have mentioned Ran's role as anti-town, it's definitely a factor in the case on him.

Reyth

Smash Rookie
I never asked if there was a role that could do it, I stated that time travel was an option because I'm sure that it is. I suggest we leave this part of the argument here. Because I'm pretty sure that when more lynches are available then whatever Ran originally limited it to he would let us know about it. And we wouldn't direct Ran's role by telling him not to use his powers because he probably won't listen tbh because he doesn't see what he would be doing as anti-town. So my option would prevent ya'll from lynching one of my strongest town reads while preventing his role from limiting the lynch pool.
Wth is this?? Is this inside knowledge from a scum QT?? What does the bolded even mean??

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
And I disagree, he wasn't fighting to survive, he made that very clear when he voted himself. He was fighting catch scum and get someone he thought was scum lynched in Zen.
To the bit about people lynching him based on him being a moron with his role, quotes or you're a lying sack of garbage.

July

Smash Apprentice
The game is played in 4 phases which represent the actual nights (that's how I read it).
There is no past time travel shown in that diagram. Watchers would be OP, as they could go back to N1 and watch who was killed =\
Hmm...kk, I was viewing the 4 phases as different ways the actions compounded upon each other, but looking at it you are probably right.

@DeGrey: I said that Ran's main objective was to catch Zen at scum at the time, THAT was the point of my post. And videogames definitely presented it as their major reason for voting Ran in their #1440.

Reyth

Smash Rookie
* facepalm * Ok I just got it. She means his scum suspects.... nvm.

Ok I also got locked out and was showing no posts.

July

Smash Apprentice
To the bit about people lynching him based on him being a moron with his role, quotes or you're a lying sack of garbage.
Here I quoted it for you:

was gonna ask how it clashes, but I saw that was answered, and also wanted to point out that DG is saying it could be fake, and somewhere in there I think someone brought up that it could be SvS.

Oh, that's how it clashes. Meh.

It was obvious though. He "travelled forward to night 1 and got a result?" Night 1 hasn't happened yet. If it has happened because of time travel, then hell, why didn't he just travel to every night and investigate everyone? :p
but time travel aside, it seemed like an obvious gambit. maybe because I don't take Zen's posts seriously unless he presses his points hard and makes it clear he's being serious.

As in HATE?

Time to explain my vote. It's simple, really. Imagine someone you think seems overall townie has been tunneling you all game. Suddenly he reacts extremely poorly to an obvious gambit, and then claims a role that can guarantee a lynch will be between two specific players the next day.
THE TWO PLAYERS ARE YOU, AND ONE OF YOUR STRONGEST TOWN READS. He has been making connection cases with the false assumption that I am scum. He is wrong, and if he continues charging forward blindly with this very powerful role, HE WILL (I'm assuming Nabe is town here) *GUARANTEE* A MISLYNCH ON ONE DAY. THIS IS THE MOST ANTI-TOWN THING POSSIBLE. A vig shot can be bad if it kills a townie, but all it did was waste a vig shot, not a huge deal. However, Ran's claimed role WASTES AN ENTIRE DAY. It guarantees scum a mislynch that they can't look bad for, because there are no other lynch options. It will stagnate discussion. It's kind of like the princess role.

Now, this might be a different story if Ran would listen to the input of others for who to use his ability on, but he's demonstrated nothing but thickheadedness this game, and I don't trust him with his role. I have NO problem lynching him toDay.

He has been constantly calling me scum for ****ty reasons, and now he's calling others scum or not scum based off his incorrect scumread on me.

Do you see how incredibly anti-town this role will be in his hands?

No, as DG and T-block point out, they could still both be scum and this could all be faked.

However, I'm liking Zen after that gambit. If Ran has the ... Bold Whatever role he claimed, then he is most likely town, but the havoc he could cause by misusing his role scares me.

Reyth

Smash Rookie
I really like seeing these posts by PLSD I am going to sit here and watch them. I encourage him to continue with his blow by blow. :D

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC
What do people think about halting posts for a day? We still have a while before the day ends so a day wont hurt. I'm not the only one behind and we really need to let people catch up on everything. Activity is great, we know that, but when it gets to a point where a third (or more?) of the players have to skim/skip over stuff in order to stay caught up, it becomes anti-town.

Top Bottom